Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

EA: Dead space was too scary so thats why we threw co-op in

This is a discussion on EA: Dead space was too scary so thats why we threw co-op in within the Dead Space 3 forum, part of the D; Dead Space was a pretty scary game. While there were NPCs to interact with, more often than not they were ...

Lord of all Goat-Men

Dead Space was a pretty scary game. While there were NPCs to interact with, more often than not they were a disembodied voice telling you that once again some shit had hit the proverbial fan rather than trying to comfort you. You were alone in the dark with no one to help you. Say what you will about things jumping out of the dark for a cheap scare, it worked. Claustrophobic and desolate environments also contributed to a lonely, terrifying atmosphere. Fundamentally they game relied on the established Science Fiction trope of being trapped alone in space with a ship full of nasties who exist simply to kill you.

The addition of Co-op in DS3 spoils that. That's not to say it ruins the game, or makes it less scary, but it is a departure from what made the original. The clear comparison is RE4 and RE5. While I wouldn't go so far as to say that the addition of co-op was what retarded RE5's capacity for horror, it was certainly a contributory factor. To justify implementing co-op large portions of the game will surely revolve around teamwork and assistance, and will require communication, nullifying that feeling of being alone.

Another staple of the horror genre is an increased difficulty. While DS wasn't the MOST challenging game, it certainly had its moments. The addition of a second player doubles your chance for failure. For me, there is nothing worse than being forced to replay sections of a game repeatedly because your partner has the same skill-level (and sometimes intelligence) as a cup of tea.

The developers have assured us that they will be able to maintain the horror element of the past games though, and I hope they succeed.

PRO Member

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

Quote Originally Posted by Curse View Post
    Atleast read the fucking article

The horror is still there. But for those who wanted it to be an easier experience, with less scares, they can now play it with a partner. Because she's one of those people, she's justifying these reasons.
    Well at least playing in co-op is optional. I wouldn't be buying if it weren't. Then again, I don't really find Dead Space to be that scary anyway.....

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

The reasoning is a bit silly, i can see the point in co-op as an option ( it's the type of game that gets co-op these days ) but to say it's too scary on your own is frankly dumb and a little insulting.
    Unless you happen to be under 18 and living on a commune,in which case, you shouldn't be playing the game and have no valid opinion on the subject.

Rangers F.C

Just played the demo , I now agree with PS360

********Go fuck yourself
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Lvl 4 - Silver

*When sequels do next to nothing to renovate* OMGG I PLAYD DIS GAME BE4, DEYRE ALL DA SAYME!!!111!!

*When DS3 renovates* EA EYE H8 UUU OMGG Y U NO KEEP GAYME EXACTLE DA SAYME!!!??/?

As others have said, co-op is not forced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2BSm...eature=mh_lolz

THE LINK ABOVE IS A PILE OF SHIT, PLEASE DON'T CLICK ON IT. THANKYOU VERY MUCH.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Co-Op makes this game feel like any other action game. Although I enjoyed playing DS 3, I didn't find it as scary as the first two. Also, way too much diaglogue which makes it a little be comfy cos you know there's someone else around. Would it be safe to say EA were looking for a larger audience with DS 3? I know a few my friends bought DS 3 since they found out/heard that it wasn't as frightening as DS or DS 2.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123