Mafia Lead Designer: “Dead Space 3 turned into something nobody will like”

This is a discussion on Mafia Lead Designer: “Dead Space 3 turned into something nobody will like” within the Dead Space 3 forum, part of the D; Mafia lead designer: “Dead Space 3 turned into something nobody will like” « BeefJack - The Gamer's Sauce I’m a ...

INTJ

Mafia Lead Designer: “Dead Space 3 turned into something nobody will like”

Mafia lead designer: “Dead Space 3 turned into something nobody will like” « BeefJack - The Gamer's Sauce

I’m a big fan of the original Mafia. While easily dismissed as a Grand Theft Auto clone in its day, it was a wonderfully ambitious game centred firmly around its well-rounded protagonist, Tommy Angelo. It’s a shame that Mafia II told a far less compelling story, even while making up for its predecessor’s shortcoming in technical prowess. Daniel Vávra, lead designer on Mafia and writer for its sequel, has a bone to pick with the current state of gaming, which he believes is being held back by “big publishers and their megalomaniac games.”

“Bigger is not always better. I hate the word ‘wow moment’ and I hate games that have wow moments every two minutes, because some smartass thinks it’s cool. Dead Space 3 looks (at least so far) like a perfect example of how to turn something interesting into something nobody will like,” Vávra says to Russian gaming site GameStar.

“I hope that there will be more independent developers, which will lead to more interesting games because publishers are to blame for this situation,”
    he continues.

“Different people have different tastes; there is room for many genres and styles. We are not getting them right now, because publishers think that we all want Call of Duty type games. But it’s changing and when the indies from Steam, XBLA and iOS make some money and start to produce bigger games, we will see lot of fresh stuff.”

There’s a third Mafia game rumoured to be in the works, but Vávra isn’t involved with its development. He’s currently heading up Warhorse Studios where he’s working on a “realistic medieval open world RPG.”

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    There’s a third Mafia game rumoured to be in the works, but Vávra isn’t involved with its development. He’s currently heading up Warhorse Studios where he’s working on a “realistic medieval open world RPG.”
    Ooh...realistic! I can't wait to pick up horse poo for a living and die an early death by contracting smallpox.

Who's this guy and what makes him an expert on Dead Space? Meh.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Ooh...realistic! I can't wait to pick up horse poo for a living and die an early death by contracting smallpox.
    someone hasn't played mount and blade apparently.

it's a awesome genre to explore. can't wait.

Also designed of one of the best open world games of all time, i think he's allowed to critique some games.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    someone hasn't played mount and blade apparently.
    Uhhh...yes I have, apparently. Look at my Steam profile. The game sucks donkey balls.

дурак

Another Developer who thinks his opinion is worth more than it really is. Also why use Dead Space 3 as an example?, there are LOADS of games this applies to. Even if he is right (which I'm not saying he is), let the people make that judgement with their wallets, no need to waste our time with his over inflated sense of worth.
    Blank Friend Requests will be ignored and/or blocked
    My Checklist | My Trading Thread | My Youtube Channel
    "The oldest and strongest of emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown"