Dead Space 3 has weapon Microtransactions

This is a discussion on Dead Space 3 has weapon Microtransactions within the Dead Space 3 forum, part of the D; Dead Space 3 includes micro-transactions for buying better weapons • News • Eurogamer.net Dead Space 3 includes micro-transactions as part ...

INTJ

Dead Space 3 has weapon Microtransactions

Dead Space 3 includes micro-transactions for buying better weapons • News • Eurogamer.net

Dead Space 3 includes micro-transactions as part of its weapon crafting system, Eurogamer can reveal.

We spotted mention of "downloadable content" during a recent hands-on play session with the game. The message pops up when you don't have enough resources to piece together the beefy new weapon you're after.

It states: "Cannot craft. Additional resources required."

These resources (materials, scrap parts and the like) can be picked up by the player, picked up by scavenger bots you send out, or alternatively bought through a quick purchase from the in-game store.

"You can buy resources with real money, but scavenger bots can also give you the currency that you can use on the marketplace," Dead Space 3 associate producer Yara Khoury explained to Eurogamer. "So you don't have to spend [real world] dollars."

Khoury was unable to say how much the micro-transactions would cost, but she referred to several different packs of in-game currency being available, priced varying amounts.

But even with a bank balance full of money, developer Visceral Games has made sure you can't boost your way to the best weapons at the very beginning of the game.

"No you can't!" Khoury replied at the suggestion I'd be able to splurge my money as soon as possible in exchange for the game's biggest gun. "There are a lot of weapon parts that are only available to buy later in the game. Unless you're playing through it again [on New Game Plus]."

Dead Space 3 is the first game in the series to include micro-transactions. The payment system popped up last year in fellow EA-published title Mass Effect 3, too, allowing you to quickly buy reinforcement packs for the game's multiplayer portion. Ubisoft-published Assassin's Creed 3 included a similar system for that game's multiplayer.

Redditor sums it up for me:

People always say about these systems that "You don't have to spend money!", but that's not the point. The point is that in damn near all these games that have microtransactions as well as an initial purchase (on mobile devices as well), the time it takes to get resources or level up have been artificially inflated in order to make paying money an attractive option. This hinders the gameplay and I hope this dirty practice dies out soon.

Plats-O'-War!!

Don't AC III have something like this implemented into their MP? I wonder how that's going?

Korean Girl Group Groupie

People always say about these systems that "You don't have to spend money!", but that's not the point. The point is that in damn near all these games that have microtransactions as well as an initial purchase (on mobile devices as well), the time it takes to get resources or level up have been artificially inflated in order to make paying money an attractive option. This hinders the gameplay and I hope this dirty practice dies out soon.
    Isn't this how "consumerism" works? The thing that is preached about by some people so heavily, as being what they stand for?

Sorry, I didn't understand that the industry was run on various business models, all of which exist in order to make money. Heaven forbid it take you longer playing a game in order to attain something and maybe feel a sense of accomplishment when doing so - instead let's complain and try to speed run through this shit for an easy platinum, or to get it done before my rental is up, or in order to get the maximum trade in value from gamestop so people can go and get something else they feel entitled to.

How this is actually any different or worse than the DLC weapons packs that have existed in every version of this game up to this point in order to make things easier for those who are worse, or want a shortcut, is beyond me. But hey, it's EA - let's bitch about them because it's EA.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

INTJ

Interview: Interview: Dead Space 3 producer on micro-transactions and keeping the horror alive (Page 2) - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

There's a lot of players out there, especially players coming from mobile games, who are accustomed to micro-transactions. They're like "I need this now, I want this now". They need instant gratification. So we included that option in order to attract those players, so that if they're 5000 Tungsten short of this upgrade, they can have it.
    We need to make sure we're expanding our audience as well. There are action game fans, and survival horror game fans, who are 19 and 20, and they've only played games on their smartphones, and micro-transactions are to them a standard part of gaming. It's a different generation. So if we're going to bring those people into our world, let's speak their language, but let's not alienate our fans at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post

How this is actually any different or worse than the DLC weapons packs that have existed in every version of this game up to this point in order to make things easier for those who are worse, or want a shortcut, is beyond me. But hey, it's EA - let's bitch about them because it's EA.

i don't agree with those at all either.

there's a reason why they were voted the worst company in america 2012

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by kidson2004 View Post
    Don't AC III have something like this implemented into their MP? I wonder how that's going?
    yes they do have.

like ubisoft does and EA will do too, what they've to sell are nothing new since all can be found ingame for free. all that this ingame purchases does is selling you shortcuts to get all you need quickly. so you can be lazy and give your money for quick weapons or play as anybody else and get them for free a couple hours down the road.

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

They did this too in uncharted 3
    first they hit us with pay DLC now micro transactions
    next we will have to pay yearly subscriptions for our games to play Smh
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Lvl 10 - Platinum

why does this matter? if you dont want it dont buy it, if you do want it then pay a little extra to save yourself some time, personally i have no problem scavenging for resources because i like exploring and finding hidden areas, some people just want to play the game and are willing to pay more money to get to the end faster and easier, this says more about gamers that some of them are willing to pay to save time and effort than it does about the company offering microtransactions because they are just filling a want that people have clearly expressed that they want, not saying i love ea or anything, but they are well within their rights to offer up optional content for people who pay more, as long as its still optional im fine with it, the second it becomes necessary to pay more money just to play the game is when i stop buying those games

Angel of Death

It's in there for those that want it, you don't need it. I personally won't use it because I'd rather spend the money on something else, but some might want it because 1) save time, or 2) they suck.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

A fool and his money are soon parted comes to mind. The Casual Generation being the fools.

No one who actually enjoys gaming would part cash for shortcuts. Preaching to the choir somewhat Ps360.