Lord Nero Reviews Demon's Souls

This is a discussion on Lord Nero Reviews Demon's Souls within the Demon's Souls forum, part of the D; Demon's Souls Review by NeroRadec707 WORK IN PROGRESS-RESTORATION FROM OLD THREAD BEFORE MELTDOWN Basic Information Developer: From Software Publisher: ASN-Sony; ...

Harvester of Souls

Lord Nero Reviews Demon's Souls

Demon's Souls Review

by NeroRadec707
    WORK IN PROGRESS-RESTORATION FROM OLD THREAD BEFORE MELTDOWN

Basic Information
    Developer: From Software
    Publisher: ASN-Sony; NA-Atlus; EU-NamcoBandai
    Genre: Action RPG
    Release Date: JPN-February 5, 2009; NA-October 6, 2009; EU-June 25, 2010
    [/FONT]
    Trophy Difficulty: 9/10 Hard

Overview
    Demon's Souls is the spiritual successor to From Software's series King's Field. You take control of a custom created hero or heroine who goes to save the Kingdom of Boletaria which as been covered in a Deep Fog. From this fog, demons are rampant and consume the souls of all they cross. You are the kingdom's and the world's only hope for survival.

This game will make you want to break controllers most definitely and does not forgive you in the slightest for failing. You'll face overwhelming odds at many times and will need to use your wits to survive long. Also, you are able to play online with friends, albeit, in a very unique manner that will take some getting accustomed to. There will be many unique places to explore, weapons to upgrade and collect, minor puzzles, and epic combat with monstrous foes that will keep you drawn into this game. Hope you enjoy.

Gameplay
    This is where Demon's Souls truly shines in my opinion. Motion wise, everything has a nice feel to it such as the way you attack and swing your weapons, the way the enemies attack, the way the bosses move, how NPCs react to your actions, and various other minor things. Everything runs pretty fluidly as well with only minor lag at specific points due to the load of the area. Nothing serious, but worth noting. One more thing to touch on quickly is that it does get slow paced at times due to the difficulty and you may need to be even slower if you're dying excessively or become too afraid to go around corners.

There isn't much here in this game platforming wise or puzzle solving so if you're really big on them, this may make it or break it. You can't jump which is another issue that bugs me in RPGs, the inability to jump EVEN if it'd be useless. HOWEVER, I will admit after getting used to not being able to, I enjoyed not having to worry about it and kinda think that would of hurt DS more to have than not.

Next, I'll talk about the multiplayer part of Demon's Souls. YES it has online and multiplayer, although this adds in even more challenge WHILE giving you a little help as well. In this game, whenever you are signed into PSN, there is a chance some other person is out there playing at the exact same time and will feel like getting their body back(or just being a dick) and can drop a stone to invade another player. WHAT!!???INVADE MY WORLD!??? BUT NOOOO N00B H4X!!!!! Yes other people can invade your world, granted one at a time(glitches do occur albeit rarely where 2 will invade you). IF they kill you, you lose your body AND they gain theirs back. You can only be invaded I should add in your body form so keep this in mind if you don't want to risk it.

You are granted the ability to also summon other players into your world, BUT without the intention of fighting each and teaming up. Should you both complete the level alive, you'll gain souls and much easier than previously AND they gain back their body for helping you kill the boss of the world. They'll receive a share of the souls as well. Do note, this makes fighting bosses much easier, they will be slightly stronger when playing with multiple blue phantoms as your summoned allies are called. Invaders are black phantoms. Just one of the many unique aspects to Demon's Souls.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???

Then you have the tendency aspect of the game that adds yet another layer to the gameplay. There are two divisions of the tendency, World Tendency and Character Tendency, each playing a completely separate role. World Tendency-Affects changes in each separate world in enemy drops, difficulty, rare loot, AND special events that will occur based on if it's White(good) OR Black(evil). Character Tendency, on the other hand, plays a more minor role in how the game views your overall deeds.

Combat wise, the game excels. You will get into many battles and the fighting is very unique and EPIC as you actually have to really fight. You really aren't allowed much carelessness as enemies can do a massive amount of damage relatively easy. You will need to utilize some tactics, unique to each enemy, to gain victory. There are many spells and miracles you can perform for even greater variety in combat. THIS is a true point for Demon's Souls.

Story
    I'll admit here that story wise, the game kinda lacks IF you don't do a little research and pay VERY close attention. The story is told in very brief segments and in untold sections of the manual and from the developers. It was never meant to originally be a huge thing, but did in fact shape up to be a INSTANT classic.

Now for the bits of story you do get, it's pretty generic type deal at first. You have a warrior hero guy who goes into the kingdom and saves the day. Well in this case the kingdom, Boletaria, is covered in a fog that is constantly releasing demons to pillage and rape humans' souls and when you die, your soul itself becomes bound to the realm called the Nexus and you can't leave until you help them and save the kingdom. Well in order to save Boletaria you have to enter several archways into different sections of the kingdom and defeat the archdemon. Doing this will somehow grant you access to the Old One, the god of the world or something another :S, AND defeat him as well. Best of luck to you

Not a bad story at all, pretty epic. JUST you don't really get it much. You just kinda see intro and then get thrown into land full of demons and a few random somewhat helpful NPCs and that's it. You just keep hacking away at new demons periodically and repeat until the end. That's your story and then you meet the Old One. END. I truly enjoyed how it was portrayed, but don't expect a Final Fantasy type game with a cutscene ever step.

Difficulty
    Yes this game can be difficult, but no it's not as incredibly hard as people say. They talk alot and talk too much. It's only hard IF you rush things and do not check your surroundings OR learn from mistakes. Sure, if you die, you have to start over, but this is just like any OLD game that our parents played OR even some of us here when we were kids. Unique and refreshing to play a game without a checkpoint every five feet I think.

And most of the time, you can unlock shortcuts anyways, so there is a checkpoint. OH well what about the enemy respawns? More souls and bastards for you to kill and plunder . ENJOY IT! Besides, you don't lose anything cept your souls and if you make it back to them you get them all back PLUS the ones you've acquired since then. THOUGH, if you die in your body form, the worlds will become slightly more difficult AND you don't get your body back as easily. You must defeat another player by invading his world(and defeating him) OR kill a boss of a world zone.

Then you have those certain people out there that are like this:
    "Oh there is a key over there, let's run and get it" *SPIKE TRAP GOES OFF* "FUUUUUU I died, stupid trap >:F"... *Starts over* "Let's get that key again now" *SPIKE TRAP GOES OFF* "FUUUUUUUU I HATE THIS SHITTY GAME! I die by peons and keep dying by this trap that I keep running over and I can't get by! I even died in prequel stage to a fat blob that I should of pwned! WTF IS WRONG WITH THIS SHIT GAME!???"[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Lolz, yeah people are like that and THAT is why the game is difficult. Just accept that you will die some.. and probably a lot. Ok you WILL DIE 1,000 times over 1,000 times over 1,000 times and again and again . The key is learning though, learn the enemies, learn where traps are, learn boss tactics, create strategies and a gameplan for each situation. If somehting isn't working or you're dying a bunch. Go back to previous level, boost up some souls, level up and change weapons too perhaps. Block more often.

REALLY easy game if you know what you're doing AND just pay a little attention from time to time. Alright, so let's just say I'm being modest about the difficulty. It's fucking hard to take on two flying magic shooting, tackling asshats on a narrow bridge with only cover being a small pot of fire in middle of said bridge. There will be ridiculous points and some absurdly easy ones too. Just have to live with it and go with the challenge of the game.

Technical
    Alright, now for more fun stuff to talk about in Demon's Souls. Firstly, the graphics for it are superb! They are well polished mostly and very nicely designed. Artwork was some of the most magnificent and original works I've laid my eyes on. Yes, they could be better, but for the time of it's release over a year ago they still could stand up against some of today's top games.

Controls, they all work and well "control" very fluidly. Everything is spot on in timing and has a realistic fighting feel to everything where you can riposte enemies with your shield, and the attacking just has that feel to it. Same goes for the enemies motions and attacks. Nothing seems too overdone OR out of pace of the enemy.

Glitches & bugs, yes there are some bugs in this game, namely the bearbugs . Lol, but seriously, there are a few bugs and glitches there about. Sometimes you'll find a certain enemy already dead OR floating slightly, dropped items can, rarely, disappear, in the Nexus once I feel through the floor while just running across but could never redo this one, & various other things such as those. Again nothing serious about them, just things to note. You can perform a number of glitches yourself for you own benefit, but I'll not go into them as they degrade this game.

Lastly, I'll get on the music which is a big thing for me in games, especially RPGs. In shooters not so much and I'll listen to my own tunes normally even if I like the music, but in RPGs the music of each individual game sets the tone and mood. Demon's Souls has one of the most beautiful and EPICALLY AMAZING soundtracks of any game I've ever played. Heck makes it a perfect 10/10 just for the music.

One last technical thing is that you should accept the death you are given. You'll die alot.

Overall- 10/10
    Now for the overall performance of Demon's Souls and how it stood up. Well in my eyes, it's absolutely perfect. Has epic and amazing combat, a GREAT soundtrack, well polished and amazing graphics, plays and controls very nicely, and has a decent story buried underneath itself. Not much to hate ONCE you get into this game. It is difficult and some parts are damn near impossible to get through without being hurt least a little bit. It does at times have a slow pace due to this difficult nature and so it may not be for everyone.

However, if you love a challenge and you love RPGs and you love fighting monstrous enemies medieval style, THEN you really need to jump on board. Come to the Nexus, it's calling your soul. Come fight for Boletaria, help save the land from the demons.

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

Lvl 7 - Gold

Nice review Nero. I had the game, tried it, and traded it in because I didn't know what the fuck I was doing. I regret trading it in to be honest. Part of the reason is because it's sitting in my collection with only 1% completed, but mostly because I don't think I ever really gave it a chance. I'm gonna have to pick this up again and try to have a proper go at it.

Sig and avatar courtesy of ABSTRACT678
    Platbar courtesy of ThunderStick

Death to zombies!!

I knew Nero would give this a 10/10 before i even looked but you know what, it deserves it. Got a 10/10 from me on my checklist. Great review Nero

Sig by djunglist
    Platboy bar by Hitmon133

My checklist
    Stu's pot of shinies

дурак

Quote Originally Posted by stupot00 View Post
    I knew Nero would give this a 10/10 before i even looked but you know what, it deserves it. Got a 10/10 from me on my checklist. Great review Nero
    Yeah there was no doubt in my mind it was going to be a 10/10 as well xD. Too bad I started playing it when interest started waning, it would have been a great pleasure to see this game at the peak of it's activity. Great review, Nero.
    Blank Friend Requests will be ignored and/or blocked
    My Checklist | My Trading Thread | My Youtube Channel
    "The oldest and strongest of emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown"

Harvester of Souls

I honestly tried to be unbiased on it, and I felt even despite my addiction to the game, it truly deserved that score. . Hopefully I'll stop being lazy and actually get around to fixing all the errors and mistakes in this review AND then fix some grammar stuff too in it. . Could of given it a 9.5/10, but then everyone would say I was lying anyways

Thanks for reading everyone. Know several used to like my reviews before the site melt down and trying to get back into it while got a break from trophy guides atm .

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Great review dude it was a nice 5 minute read. Well worth 10/10, I just wish the trophies were easier haha. I've played through the game two or three times on my other profile and only got about 30% trophy completion. certainly NOT a step closer to platinum with this game lol

Harvester of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by Rybo1314 View Post
    Great review dude it was a nice 5 minute read. Well worth 10/10, I just wish the trophies were easier haha. I've played through the game two or three times on my other profile and only got about 30% trophy completion. certainly NOT a step closer to platinum with this game lol
    REading the Trophy Guide posted here AND the wiki for more information? Lol. Really will help.

Crocodile Hunter

nicely done man, i can see you put a lot of time and effort into writing this and it shows

Sig by Apokolypz

Harvester of Souls

Well the BBcoding from transfer from old thread to now doesn't show much as it's a damned mess . But yeah I tried. Few run on sentences here and there and rambled a bit but just how I do when get into writing a bunch at once .

Closing this account

I think if Hitman name didn't pop up alot on the old Demons Souls threads, I think this review would of had me buy the game. I will admit that it took me many, many, many deaths to finally play it but this review was great. I LOVE IT LIKE IT WAS CHICKEN AND WATERMELON!!!!