Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Beginner Tips for Demon's Souls

This is a discussion on Beginner Tips for Demon's Souls within the Demon's Souls forum, part of the D; Prepared here is a mini beginner guide of sorts for those starting Demon's Souls that may or may not have ...

Harvester of Souls

Beginner Tips for Demon's Souls

Prepared here is a mini beginner guide of sorts for those starting Demon's Souls that may or may not have seen this thread on the old site. Copied it back over to help out all the little n00bs out there that aren't playing Dark Souls and still working with Demon's Souls. Hope you enjoy and if formatting is messed up, I"ll fix it in time. .

Getting Started - Welcome to Boletaria. Prepare for death!

Alrighty, thanks everyone for buying Demon's Souls and hopefully getting it NEW. Also, thanks for taking time to read over this , I really appreciate it. Now, before you begin your game... just wanna let you know... You will die... and you will again, and again, and again, and again. This game was made for death.. and for learning from mistakes. So do NOT get angry or rage... the game wants you to die and in some instances, you have no choice. You don't lose anything except souls and easily get them back. So no need to fret there.

Next thing is about your starting class. Pick this based on how you wanna play, but if you change your mind early enough, you can start a new character which I recommend a couple anyways. But if you want a mage, pick royalty or magician. IF you want a faith and miracle user, use Priest or temple Knight possibly which work good for melee too. Melee is really unique and depends how you wanna start off and what gear you want. There are heavy and light armors and will shape how you move and how quickly too. Each class comes with different weapons so you will wanna test some out to see your style.

The following sections go a little more in depth so continue reading for more assistance. Thanks again for referring to this beginner's guide.

to be continued shortly

Best of luck

Player Guide - Explanation of how to play Demon's Souls with minimum deaths

Here I'm just going to slightly explain how to play and some lessons to NOT get yourself killed :p. Most of this will be common sense knowledge but some may benefit regardless so yeah.

Firstly, never ever rush blindly down tunnels or towards enemies IF you don't have to. Kinda assess each area and situation before getting into combat with an enemy. Otherwise, you'll find that some things like to pop out from around corners OR join in the fray when you get to a certain point. Also some levels have booby-traps and you can easily get distracted and killed from carelessness.

Also, if you constantly take a lot of damage, wear your Cling Ring as it adds 25% more health in soul form, granted you have white world tendency. The darker it gets though, the less health you keep in soul form. The Thief's Ring(which Hitman wanted me to tell you guys about like a n00b) is also a huge asset and you should generally keep it on until you get your bearings as helps bosses keep some distance in a few cases AND will cause a few enemies in a group to not rush you all at once.

Another thing, UNTIL you really learn to play OR just really need some help, do not play online. Cause chances are, you'll be invaded and killed. IF you get invaded, might as well just quit game otherwise, they will try and kill you and be pissed if you D/C on them after you start fighting. Plus another problem is that there is a chance you data will become corrupted. Message the person IF you think you have time and let them know you don't wanna duel and are a n00b . You'll probably still get told off but yeah. Show some respect.

Next thing is about dueling, always bow, don't be an ass. Cause chances are you rush them and they'll come back and pwn the shit out of you IF you suck that much to not be decent. ALSO, don't send hate mail for someone who invades you and kills you. IF it happens, you should be offline. Another issue is if you're near the beginning and someone invades, don't just jump all over their shit before they even have a chance to react. Back to showing respect, and bowing and both being prepared.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Character Development - Explanation of how to develop and level your characters

First I will go over HOW you should begin when you make your character. Decide what type of character you will wanna play as mostly and choose a class based on that. THEN when you get to where you can level up your Soul Level, level up some main stats that will benefit your play style. DO NOT just throw souls wherever cause it can mess you up later on in the game.

ALSO, decide what type of weapons you will use and what type of upgrade you plan to use and level stats that will affect them. Otherwise later in the game you will have alot of points into stats that will stop leveling AND they will not be beneficial at all.

Zone Progression - Explanation of how to proceed through the levels

To begin, you have to finish up 1-1. Aren't allowed to go anywhere else until that is finished. So once that is out of the way, you can continue into 1-2, but chances are you'll die and regret it, so go back into the Nexus. From here you'll have to talk to the monumental at top of the stairs and then speak with the Maiden in Black. Afterward, level up some stats with the souls you have from 1-1 & the tutorial. Also use any of the soul items you gathered through the levels, but DO NOT consume the boss souls.

NOTE you do NOT have to do the levels this way, just how I feel easiest for myself and others may benefit from following it slightly.

Next the easiest place to go would be 1-2(try and grab the Winged Spear on the first bridge), finish it up and then you aren't allowed to progress anymore until you get an archdemon soul. Easiest place to go now is 2-1. Do that level, then go a little ways into 2-2(don't need to finish it right now) until you get some more items such as Heater Shield +2 (near vender) & the Dragon Longsword +1 (in the maze like tunnels). Now you can leave back to the Nexus as the boss here will rip you a new one.

Do level 5-1 next, finish it up IF you can, but mostly just wanna grab the Blessed Mace +1 for level 4-1. After 5-1 is finished OR you get the mace and want to leave, do 4-1. After wards, go to 3-1 and finish up that level. So now, you should have possibly 1-3, 2-2, 3-2, 4-2, & 5-2 to choose from. Can't do 1-3 still cause we need the soul.... IF you are able, finish up 4-2 & 4-3(archdemon fight-Storm King)-as it's the easier of the ones. THEN finish all of 2-2, and 2-3(archdemon fight-Dragon God).

NEXT you can just jump around as 5-2 is a pretty nasty level, 3-2 has one of the hardest pain in the ass bosses I've ever fought(Maneaters), & 1-3 is a rather difficult level with another pain boss(Penetrator). I normally finish up 1-3. THEN go to 3-2 and 3-3 and get them out of the way. Then do the rest of 5-2 & 5-3.

NOW all that is left is 1-4 generally. This is a short, but painful level.... AS you have to get through a blue dragon mini boss(trophy) & the False King(archdemon of zone 1). ALSO, you have another bridge to cross that the dragon is attacking before you can kill him & steps to run up with the same dragon ALSO attacking. Afterward, you will find a familiar face, and fight him. Also get a present too depending on how you played the game earlier. After this you should be able to proceed into the END GAME and shortly after, NG+ .

Just note that you should finish up any grinding for stones you wanna do early on and the tough black phantoms as NG+ will be MUCH harder than your first game, minus the fact you'll have better gear.

Boss Souls - Explanation of how to use your demon's souls

Basically, you need to figure out if you wanna do everything on one file, meaning you will have to go through NG+++(roughly 3 1/2 playthroughs) OR if you wanna divide it up amongst new characters as this will be a slight bit easier. I recommend making 2 characters, and possibly 3. First character, your main one, the goal is to get all magic spells as this takes 1 1/2 playthroughs for all the magic spells. Some spells are sold by 2 different teachers and use the same boss soul so you can't do it in one go. ALSO, they must all be gotten on same character & you can't divide the spells up across your files.

NEXT character or playthrough after the magic, your goal is to get all miracles AND also IF you want to, combine the weapons trophies with this or make another new character. I'll just say you are getting the weapons on another new character to avoid having to get to NG+ on this play.

Your last character or playthrough will be getting all the weapons which will require some upgrading before you are allowed to make the weapons. Refer to the guide for details on what is required exactly. This may require a NG+ up to the Flamelurker to get the Red Hot Demon's Soul mind you so try and plan to get all the unique and upgrade weapons on one of your other characters.

Doing this pattern will mean more character, which also gives you opportunity to experiment with different play-styles, BUT will keep you from experiencing the dreaded 60% difficulty increase with NG+ and the 8% with each NG afterward. Everyone will decide to do things differently AND you are able to trade weapons too so it's not ass difficult as it sounds, just a little intimidating at first glance. Give it time and you'll learn how it all works.

Body & Soul - Explanation of how the body and soul forms of Demon's Souls works.

Alrighty, so basically whenever you die, you will be put into soul form. IF you kill a boss OR use the black stone to invade another player(and kill them) you will get your body back. Just the basics there.

Souls form grants you only half of your max health, however you will have even less if your world tendency is black from evil deeds. Also, in this form, you can drop the stones and be summoned by other players to help them in their world. A fun thing is that you are much more silent and harder to sense by enemies.

Body form grants you your total health and you are able to summon other players into your world. HOWEVER, a big part of this is that if you're online, you can and most likely will get invaded by another player whose goal is to kill you and steal your body basically. You will make normal noises and enemies will sense you much easier than if you were in soul form

NPCs in Nexus - Explanation of the various NPCs found in the Nexus

Here I will explain the NPCs you will find throughout the game and will take residence in the Nexus(your base of operations) and the ones that begin there.

Thomas - He is the man standing by all the crates near the steps and to the side of the blacksmith. He is a HUGE asset to this game in that he holds all of your excess items and gear. A item box essentially.

Ed, the blacksmith - A blacksmith in the nexus that lets you upgrade your gear. He's a dick.

Blue phantom - A blue spirit that will try and warn you of the demons and the enduring hold of their souls. He after a few talks will go away leaving behind a soul drop that you can consume for around 1,000 souls. Has no other purpose.

Faith Worshipers - Group of spiritual worshipers of God. One that only talks to you a little bit and tells you that he was a traitor(does nothing), another that will sell you miracles(like spells for you to use that mainly benefit the caster), and then the last who only talks in beginning but after your FAITH attribute is above 18, she gives you a pure faintstone.

Freke's Apprentice - A magician who follows the teachings of another man you'll find in the game named Sage Freke. He sells you magic spells after your magic attribute is above 10.

Sage Freke - Sells magic spells & trades powerful spells for boss souls. MUST be freed first from zone 3-1.

Lady Yuria, the witch - Another power magician who sells spells and will trade a different set of magic spells for similar boss souls as Freke. MUST be freed from zone 1-3 using key found in locked secret area of 1-2.

Saint Urbain
    - A mighty faith worshiper of God that sells miracles and trades powerful miracles for boss souls same as Yuria & Freke. MUST be freed from zone 4-2 & will replace one of the worshipers in the Nexus(one that sells miracles).

Monumental - Talk to you in beginning and tells you of the plight of the land of Boletaria. ALSO with pure white CHARACTER tendency, gives you the Friend's Ring.

Mephistopheles - A cruel evil woman who hires you to assassinate the different NPCs in the Nexus ONLY after you have pure black CHARACTER tendency AND have killed Yurt, the silent Chief.

Yurt, the Silent Chief - A warrior assassin that tries to trick you into freeing him saying he'll help you fight the demons, BUT instead will slowly kill off the NPCs in the Nexus.

Tendency Changes - Explanation of the world & character tendency changes

World Tendency=WT(3 forms-Pure Black, Neutral, & Pure White)
    Character Tendency=
    CT(3 forms-Pure Black, Neutral, & Pure White)

World Tendency depending on what it is closer to being(black or white) will affect different things in your worlds.
    Black Tendency will make enemies stronger AND more phantoms will be about trying to kill you.
    White Tendency will make enemies EASIER and less phantoms .
    You get more health item drops with White Tendency & get rarer drops with Black Tendency.

EACH when you have them fully towards a certain point will open bonus points in each zone.

It's affected by dying in body form, killing bosses, killing invading players, INVADING and kill another player, Or killing black phantoms.

Now onward to the Character Tendency.

It affect even less really... umm well
    it will cause the monumental to give you a ring when you have PURE WHITE CT... and you'll have more health in soul form too. nothing else really changes with it. Some weapons get a bonus from Character Tendency though so yeah

Pure Black CT, it makes you have less health in soul form, but the main thing is it will cause a NPC to appear in the Nexus. This will gived you a set of assassination missions that lead up to your getting the Foe's Ring.

Each are affected by killing black phantoms, invading and killing human players, killing NPCs, OR using miracle to revive blue phantoms.

World and Character Tendency Guide

Toggle Spoiler

Also, if you would care to view nearly the same Tips Guide, but updated and refreshed to better fit the coding on the new Site Forums, I have edited and redone it a bit in the Trophy Guide. I will copy/paste it here .

Toggle Spoiler

Helpful Links

Demon's Souls Wiki Site - Demon's Souls Wiki Page
    by Demon's Souls community

World & Character Tendency Guide - World & Character Tendency Event Guide, by mritual
    Created by mritual(reformatted by:Reinkeer)
    Last edited by NeroRadec707; 04-29-2012 at 09:48 AM. Reason: added in mrituals tendency guide

Plats-O'-War!!

Thanks for putting this back up on here! I will be using this once I finally get through my backlog!

Harvester of Souls

Definitely welcome. Not quite what it once was as the original thread included the posts with other uses own recommendations and advice aside from my own, but yeah lol. Hopefully it will become what it once was again.

дурак

Thanks for this, I've been playing this a little bit, still exploring the first world. I'm trying to kill the Red Eye Knight, but he's a bit of a pain. Already beat the Phalanx without using the Firebombs, thinking of just throwing those at him till he's dead xD.
    Blank Friend Requests will be ignored and/or blocked
    My Checklist | My Trading Thread | My Youtube Channel

Harvester of Souls

For Red Eye, just soul arrow or fireball him and keep running away. Lure him to where you can circle back around and backtrack again. Best results for him haha, least early on. Otherwise, just time his attacks and riposte if you're melee.

Phalanx takes forever without firebombs. NG+ first time was with a melee toon... no spells on me really and didn't think about firebombs not being in inventory when completed game... pretty much ran through first level and didn't bother picking up too many things so got there with like 2... :L. took awhile but wasn't any harder without. Just time consuming haha.

дурак

I have a question. I have these different types of souls in my inventory, and I know you can use them to gain souls, but I'm wondering if they have any other uses, and if so, what types of souls can be used for these purposes.

Bad wording, but I think you'll get what I'm saying xD

On a Paradise

Thanks for this mate!
    You save my life to keep dying and dying!
    Now I'll die a few less times!

Awesome avy & sig made by In2
    Rep him if you like them!

Nope, nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgar View Post
    I have a question. I have these different types of souls in my inventory, and I know you can use them to gain souls, but I'm wondering if they have any other uses, and if so, what types of souls can be used for these purposes.

Bad wording, but I think you'll get what I'm saying xD
    Do you mean the souls you get from bosses or the ones that you find around the world? eg, Hero's Soul?

дурак

I'm referring to stuff like the Hero's Soul, Soldier's Soul, etc. Do they have any other uses besides giving you souls? And if not, I'm assuming the souls you get from bosses have other uses.

Nope, nothing

I'm referring to stuff like the Hero's Soul, Soldier's Soul, etc. Do they have any other uses besides giving you souls? And if so, I'm assuming the souls you get from bosses have other uses.
    I'm pretty sure they are just there to be consumed for extra Souls.

And yes, the boss souls can be used to forge Unique Weapons...or give you Souls.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I'm referring to stuff like the Hero's Soul, Soldier's Soul, etc. Do they have any other uses besides giving you souls? And if not, I'm assuming the souls you get from bosses have other uses.
    Right. Save your boss souls. You'll need them for spells, miracles and weapons.

All the other souls you find, including those from the red and blue dragon, can be consumed.

дурак

*slams head on table* I was wondering what the hell I did with the Soul I got from killing the Phalanx, and I just realized I consumed it. Oops xD. Oh well, I wont fret too much over it. Thanks for all the help by the way guys. I'm loving every moment of this game, no matter how many times I'm getting my ass kicked

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Definitely don't worry about. You'll be facing him again a few more times. Here's a handy chart showing which soul is used for which upgrade (sometimes multiple upgrades).

Glad you're having fun. I got back into the game as well with the server events and have fallen in love. Near the top now on my favorite games list.

Harvester of Souls

Little late updating and assuming everyone got help needed wondering with normal souls like Soldier's Soul, Hero's Soul, etc etc.. Yeah they have NO USE other than consuming for souls .

Boss Souls are different story on the other hand and shouldn't be consumed until you have used them for their Spell, miracle, or weapon purpose.. Some bosses have one 1-2 uses and then afterwards, any other times you kill them, you can use their soul all you want for some bonus souls. Be sure to refer to the ACTUAL guide for this.. or the wiki image Reindeer posted .

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

дурак

I gotta admit, killing a boss in this game is insanely satisfying... Till you find out the ones you've killed are the easiest xD. Especially the Adjudicator, I don't know what that was supposed to be lol.

Anyhow, I'm mainly using the Winged Spear as I like the playstyle, but I'm wondering if there is any weapon I can get that would benefit me more in the upcoming stages. I've finished 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, and 4-1. Thoughts? Thinking of going into world 3 or 5 here soon. Oh and I'm a Knight, who has a low Faith level, go figure xD

Lvl 2 - Bronze

3-1 shouldn't be too much of a hassle to get through Vulgar.
    and the weapon all depends on your own style of play, I myself find the Kilij great to use.
    Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Harvester of Souls

You could level up your winged spear and get some stones and make it into whatever type weapon you want . Get the Dragon Longsword +1 found in 2-2 in tunnels and then go into say like 5-1 for the blessed mace helps more in 4-2 aand such. Area 3, fire helps bit in too I supposed, but that winged spear will save you since you can block and attack sametime . Just be prepared for magic users!

Check out Dark Souls soon!!!!

дурак

My Winged Spear is +7 now. I'm rather surprised at how easily I have found Sharpstone, unless it's the easiest to find or something. But I can't wait till it's fully upgraded, this thing is beastly. I'm looking through 2-2 for that Dragon Longsword but I'm not sure where to go, but I love to explore so it's fine. Oh and on a lighter note, I finally killed that damn Red Eye Knight, revenge is sweet.

And yeah, I asked for it for Christmas, so I will indeed be checking it out :p. Anyhow, I feel like I'm spamming this thread, so I'll leave it alone for others to post and whatnot xD.

Harvester of Souls

I don't mind a bit . Reason I made it before site meltdown.. just to help everyone out and for them to discuss tips and how they work WITHOUT spamming my guide . Trying keep it question free and this I could include alot more information in and update easier . Then again, i did end up porting this to the guide, just keep this one updated more with ppl's questions now . hah thanks and glad you like it

Dragon Longsword will be in the tunnels directly after the area where Patches is and tricks you. after you go down the hill area there and enter back into the caves and tunnels... it's tricky to find, but once you see be like REALLY?? cause near the beginning a bit.. just check every path . watch a vid on it for extra ease.

also, when you get Dark Souls, check out Hitman and My guide for it, and the boss tips and extra help thread I have on it as well . Lotta spoilers so don't read it yet lolz.

Harvester of Souls

added into the OP the cached version of the World Tendency thread by mritual and brought back to the site by Rankineer .

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast