Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Upgrading from D3 to D3 RoS - The Good, the Bad

This is a discussion on Upgrading from D3 to D3 RoS - The Good, the Bad within the Diablo III: Reaper of Souls forum, part of the D; I finished D3 a while ago ... I guess it was 2013. A pretty good 3rd person sword & sorc ...

Lvl 6 - Silver

Upgrading from D3 to D3 RoS - The Good, the Bad

I finished D3 a while ago ... I guess it was 2013. A pretty good 3rd person sword & sorc spelunker. Finished the main story on the hardest mode (Inferno/Master2), and then shelved it til now. Many of the piddly little achievements were (and still are) just totally crazy and presume people have no lives in order to chase them. I mean come one ... even getting to 5m gp took a lot of grinding, but 100m ?! Oh, and getting to level 70 with 5 different classes ? Get a life, guys.

Anyway ... on to Reaper of Souls.

BAD NEWS FIRST:

* The devs packaged this as a replacement expanded edition, instead of an add-on for existing owners, so PS3 players who finished D3 have to pay the same $40 as PS3 players who havent (it's $60 for the PC though).

* There's only one new act (V) of material (which I'm in the middle of as I type this, on the new "Torment" difficulty) for your hard earned dollar.

* No credit for redundant tropies. One of the consequences of the devs implementing RoS as a full up replacement game (instead of a DLC add-on) is that all of the trophies you earned in the original D3 are now redundant and dont import ... if you're a completion minded gamer, that means you have to re-earn them all again in RoS, which many (including me) may find tedious.

GOOD NEWS:

> Save import from D3 is seamless - just use the "Export Save" feature in D3, and RoS will automatically import it on launch. However, be advised you need a hefty 18gb of freespace on your console to DL & install this, which is a lot of older consoles. If you lack room, go into your Game Save data and delete the game data for games you no longer play (but still have the disks for), and if that's not enough, purge some of your bloated old redundant saves from games like skyrim. Backup your latest saves onto a USB, and you're good to go.

> There's a lot of minor improvements and bugfixes (see below).

> Level Cap Raised: Raised from 60 to 70. Paragon got expanded too, but progression is paused until you reach the new level cap.

> Difficulty Raised: There's a new "Tortment" setting ... which adds some much needed challenge. Hurray - nice to be kept on your toes again, after too much easy sailing on Inferno/Master2.

> New powers & passives: A few get added, to keep things interesting

> Crafting: got a much needed streamlining - no more of those annoying sheets and crafting manuals to be collected from different dow-rev difficulty levels, and stones now have several higher tiers now, as well as a new color category (diamond).

> Enchanting: They added a new vender called an enchantress that can add an additional power to existing items (seems limited to rares and crafted items, but not legendary or set items), and you can also transmogrify the appearance in order to alter the look of your avatar. No more clumsy hodge podge appearance - you can now tailor your look, for solo or multiplayer. Schweeet.

Anyway, the game is fun again ... for the moment. I'm guessing it's only going to take 6-10 hrs of gameplay to get from 60 to 70, but its too soon to tell.

I'll chime in again after I finish on the question of whether all the new content is worth the $40 re-purchase.

I'll upload my added trophies later tonite, after TV is done.
    Last edited by ISI-Society; 11-07-2014 at 07:39 AM.
    ΦBK Phi Beta Kappa society motto: "philosophia biou kybernetes" {love of learning is the guide of life.}
    Amazon Reviewer

Negator

Gaining those last 10 levels shouldn't take but an hour or two max - drop a ruby in that socket bro.

As for the "bad news" of people who've finished D3 having to fork out another $30-$40 for RoS, it's not a bad thing. It's a much better version, and PS3 trophy hunters will like the option to earn a second platinum.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    Gaining those last 10 levels shouldn't take but an hour or two max - drop a ruby in that socket bro.

As for the "bad news" of people who've finished D3 having to fork out another $30-$40 for RoS, it's not a bad thing. It's a much better version, and PS3 trophy hunters will like the option to earn a second platinum.
    Bingo.

I bought Diablo 3 on PS3, but waited for the RoS version on PS4 before playing it. The difference between the two is night and day - RoS is the substantially better version. And the PS4 version makes the PS3 counterpart look positively shithouse.

Two plats never hurts either...

Lvl 10 - Platinum

I'm grinding now for the pick up 5,000,000 gold and I'm at 4,437,200 and I've beaten the game on all modes and all difficulties. Which means I've beaten the game 32 times and that is not including how many farming sessions I've done. I should have the platinum by Sunday hopefully and then I can transfer my character over to the PS4 version

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by MAXTHUNDER View Post
    I'm grinding now for the pick up 5,000,000 gold and I'm at 4,437,200 and I've beaten the game on all modes and all difficulties. Which means I've beaten the game 32 times and that is not including how many farming sessions I've done. I should have the platinum by Sunday hopefully and then I can transfer my character over to the PS4 version
    Thankfully there's no 5M gold grind in RoS. 500 bounties and 6 x lvl 70 characters takes some doing, but Adventure mode takes the sting out of the tail.

Lvl 6 - Silver

I added a 3rd nit under bad news about redundant trophies.

Also, because of the high material costs, there doesnt seem to be any sense to using the Enchantress to enchant gear until you hit the level 70 cap AND get an item for one of your slots that you'll essentially want to keep forever. E.g., wasting all the materials to buff a level 61 item for instance, that will get obsolete by 70th, makes no sense.
    ΦBK Phi Beta Kappa society motto: "philosophia biou kybernetes" {love of learning is the guide of life.}
    Amazon Reviewer

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by ISI-Society View Post
    I added a 3rd nit under bad news about redundant trophies.

Also, because of the high material costs, there doesnt seem to be any sense to using the Enchantress to enchant gear until you hit the level 70 cap AND get an item for one of your slots that you'll essentially want to keep forever. E.g., wasting all the materials to buff a level 61 item for instance, that will get obsolete by 70th, makes no sense.
    As for redundancy becoming "tedious", Diablo 3 is just one big grind. Nobody who's already played vanilla D3 would buy RoS and expect anything less.

As for the enchanting, yes it has a hefty price tag, but if all you're after is trophies, just use a blue or yellow item instead of legendary.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lvl 6 - Silver

I'm not grinding for trophies ATM. Rather, I'm commenting on the game while finishing story mode. The new gem costs, and the high cost to enchant rings, are really painful - the cost to fuse and/or remove high level gems is now so prohibitive, that the 3m gp I started with upon migrating from D3 was largely wiped out in a single hour, and now I mostly recycle old gear with gems instead of paying the unbalanced pull costs.

RoS is on the whole a great improvement over D3, but they've really stretched the monetary system to the breaking point and beyond with the crazy fuse/pull costs on gems. 200-300k per fuse/pull is a bit too painful, and wipes out multiple hours of grinding time each instance. It's almost as unbalanced as the hefty pull/upgrade costs at high levels in DCUO.
    Amazon Reviewer

illegal in 9 countries

I'm not grinding for trophies ATM. Rather, I'm commenting on the game while finishing story mode. The new gem costs, and the high cost to enchant rings, are really painful - the cost to fuse and/or remove high level gems is now so prohibitive, that the 3m gp I started with upon migrating from D3 was largely wiped out in a single hour, and now I mostly recycle old gear with gems instead of paying the unbalanced pull costs.

RoS is on the whole a great improvement over D3, but they've really stretched the monetary system to the breaking point and beyond with the crazy fuse/pull costs on gems. 200-300k per fuse/pull is a bit too painful, and wipes out multiple hours of grinding time each instance. It's almost as unbalanced as the hefty pull/upgrade costs at high levels in DCUO.
    Money's far less of an issue though, so I haven't found gems to be a problem. Nor are the higher level gems really required. They seem to exist as a money sink - there's not much else to spend your gold on. That and Imperial gems (which are good enough for most gear) drop once you ramp the difficulty level up, which again, comes with a mountain of gold, so it all balances out.

Also, 500 bounties...that's a lot of grinding to do. Money / gems is incidental while focusing on the bigger picture.

Enchantments are another money sink and they're not essential to the experience, nor should they ultimately make much difference to the outcome. Most gear becomes redundant anyway, so I wouldn't even bother, with the exception of the trophy.

* No credit for redundant tropies. One of the consequences of the devs implementing RoS as a full up replacement game (instead of a DLC add-on) is that all of the trophies you earned in the original D3 are now redundant and dont import ... if you're a completion minded gamer, that means you have to re-earn them all again in RoS, which many (including me) may find tedious.
    It's a different game (more or less Diablo III 2.0), so it's a different trophy list. I'm glad they were separated - if you're an achievement-oriented gamer, you likely wouldn't have bought RoS if the trophies stacked. Like money and gems, redundant trophies pop along the way, so they're not a problem. I see the new trophies as a big positive and they're different enough to warrant a new list.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Is it just me, or are the treasure goblins much harder to kill now (in RoS) ?

I used to be able to squish em about 80-90% of the time in D3, but in RoS I havent managed to bag one yet. FWIW, I'm still in campaign mode, at level 70 (paragon 50 ish). Just grinding a bit to up the gear for the final boss.
    Amazon Reviewer

Negator

I used to be able to squish em about 80-90% of the time in D3, but in RoS I havent managed to bag one yet. FWIW, I'm still in campaign mode, at level 70 (paragon 50 ish). Just grinding a bit to up the gear for the final boss.
    Go Riftin', bro.

You'll run across a horde of goblins running 15 wide. Go nuts.

Lvl 6 - Silver

{google} ... Cant rift until I finish campaign mode, but thanks for the tip.
    Amazon Reviewer

illegal in 9 countries

Money...no longer a problem in RoS. That was after clearing the ground a couple of times during a chest event. I power-leveled a second account to 65 today and hit close to 20 million each in a few hours (not wearing Goldskin) without breaking a sweat.

Did the PS3 version receive the Greed patch? You can get in excess of 5 million doing that dungeon alone, which takes at best 5 minutes.

What build are you running? What's your DPS? Difficulty level?
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 11-17-2014 at 08:38 AM.

★ Extra Astronomical ★

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    Go Riftin', bro.

You'll run across a horde of goblins running 15 wide. Go nuts.
    I never knew this was possible, ran into it for the first time last night.

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Did the PS3 version receive the Greed patch? You can get in excess of 5 million doing that dungeon alone, which takes at best 5 minutes.
    PS3 version won't be receiving any patches.

I still haven't been to Greed's Domain

Drop the difficulty just a tad if you're having trouble taking them down.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Pancake Model View Post
    Drop the difficulty just a tad if you're having trouble taking them down.
    The problem I ran into was this: doing a straight export from D3 to RoS left me at the start of Act V as a level 60. I was able to hit 70 in very short order on Torment I, but despite grinding away at the battlefield of eternity the drop rate for decent L70 legendaries seemed to suck arse, even after buffing my magic find up to +75%, so I rapidly hit a wall trying to gear up for the final bosses. Then I did a little online reading and found that they'd nerfed Magic Find in RoS, and that the only way to get decent drops is to ditch Magic Find entirely (put it in main stat instead) and further up the difficulty level ... but since I'd imported, Acts 1-4 were flagged as incomplete, and since adventure mode only unlocks if you finish Act V, that left only one course of action: Abandon Act V, and replay acts I-IV, this time on Torment II/III.

Sure enough, by the end of Act 1 I finally got a decent L70 legendary weapon drop that upped my DPS by a good 50%, plus two other decent pieces, and Torment 2 is starting to get too easy as a result, so It's on to act II in Torment 3. I'm sure that by the end of Act IV I'll be ready to kick arse properly in Act V, and Torment 6.

As for the new treasure goblin lair ... I find that depressing, as it totally breaks the monetary system in the other direction, even worse than I thought it was broken with the upped pull/merge costs on gems. I dont want to be one of those game monkeys with hundreds of millions in gold who repeatedly speedrun corridors spamming AOEs without even pausing to see what's happening ... where is the fun in that ?

Ah well, plenty of playtime left for me before I hit that wall. As soon as I do it'll be on to the next game.
    Last edited by ISI-Society; 11-18-2014 at 10:13 PM.
    Amazon Reviewer

Lvl 6 - Silver

As for builds ... feh.

IMNSHO, "builds" are for people who cant think for themselves. I'm strictly a DiY kinda guy. Always have been, always will be.

I'm playing a Mage ATM ... probably wont bother with any of the other classes, as twice through the game will be more than enough for my current level of interest and available playtime. I did more runs for red dead redemption and skyrim and SWToR, but for D3 two is more than enough for me.

No offense intended to those who feel differently ... that's just my $0.02.
    Amazon Reviewer

illegal in 9 countries

since I'd imported, Acts 1-4 were flagged as incomplete, and since adventure mode only unlocks if you finish Act V, that left only one course of action: Abandon Act V, and replay acts I-IV, this time on Torment II/III.

Ah well, plenty of playtime left for me before I hit that wall. As soon as I do it'll be on to the next game.
    Totally unnecessary. Drop to Torment I or Master and cruise through Act V using whatever drops on the field. It takes 2 or 3 hours at most to complete, which unlocks Adventure Mode. Use Adventure Mode to go back and fight Diablo in Act IV (and the previous chapter bosses)...done.

As for the new treasure goblin lair ... I find that depressing, as it totally breaks the monetary system in the other direction, even worse than I thought it was broken with the upped pull/merge costs on gems. I dont want to be one of those game monkeys with hundreds of millions in gold who repeatedly speedrun corridors spamming AOEs without even pausing to see what's happening ... where is the fun in that ?
    I had about 60 million banked before popping the Greed vault. Now I have another 250 million in 2 days after picking up the unique gem you get at the end. Gold is irrelevant for everyone in RoS, particularly compared to the Diablo III grind for a measly 5 million.

As for builds ... feh.

IMNSHO, "builds" are for people who cant think for themselves.
    Agreed, but there's still an efficiency that comes into play with synergy between both skills and gear. I found Witch Doctor to be extremely simple to create synergistic builds while mitigating almost all risk at higher difficulty levels.

You don't need to be a sheep to create a build. A little thought goes a long way and that will almost invariably lead to a single defining class build. No point making it harder on yourself just to opt out of the herd.

To clarify a couple of points from your OP -

1. 100 million, although not a trophy, is piss-easy with the right gear and can be done within hours.

2. getting 6 x characters to Level 70 is also incredibly easy using a second controller. Boosting a character from level 1 to 70 only takes a few hours in Adventure Mode.

The hardest trophy is 500 bounties, which is nothing short of a grind-a-thon. #1 and #2 should both happen well before you hit the bounty limit.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 11-19-2014 at 03:41 AM.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Thanks for the cogent post. Always a welcome thing on fora like this one populated heavily as it is, by definition, with undermannered youngins.

You don't need to be a sheep to create a build.
    My problem is not with creating builds for oneself ... quite the opposite. My problem is with the sadly commonplace tendency of most to adopt builds created by others instead of trying to figure things out on their own. To me, that's defeatism by default ... a pathetic form of intellectual laziness, and I have diminished respect for those who routinely embrace that sort of thinking in gaming, and by extension elsewhere in their daily lives.

This world would be a vastly better place if more people from a young age had the self discipline to work without a net and think for themselves.

Again, just my opine about the practice, not an attack on anyone in particular.

No point making it harder on yourself just to opt out of the herd.
    Forgive me for waxing briefly philosophical again, but I dont opt of the proverbial herd because I dislike herds ... there's a big difference between being an independant thinker from birth and someone who's simply rebelling for the sake of reinforcing an already anemic sense of self identity. I just am who I am, and who I am is usually different from emergent herds that form nearby.

Ok, back on topic.

Anyway, for me, a sizeable part of the fun in games like this is the incremental challenge & refinement that obstacles and the occasional wipe force you to contend with. Where would be the fun and challenge if I just skipped to an endgame level DPS like 800k+ DPS at the start of the game and just cakewalked over everything as fast as I could run ?

No, I'm happy to let my DPS slowly evolve as it is needed.
    Amazon Reviewer

illegal in 9 countries

Thanks for the cogent post. Always a welcome thing on fora like this one populated heavily as it is, by definition, with undermannered youngins.

My problem is not with creating builds for oneself ... quite the opposite. My problem is with the sadly commonplace tendency of most to adopt builds created by others instead of trying to figure things out on their own. To me, that's defeatism by default ... a pathetic form of intellectual laziness, and I have diminished respect for those who routinely embrace that sort of thinking in gaming, and by extension elsewhere in their daily lives.

This world would be a vastly better place if more people from a young age had the self discipline to work without a net and think for themselves.

Again, just my opine about the practice, not an attack on anyone in particular.

Forgive me for waxing briefly philosophical again, but I dont opt of the proverbial herd because I dislike herds ... there's a big difference between being an independant thinker from birth and someone who's simply rebelling for the sake of reinforcing an already anemic sense of self identity. I just am who I am, and who I am is usually different from emergent herds that form nearby.
    You're singing my song...as Popeye said, I yam what I yam. Never been one for a flock.

I'm a big believer in creating one's own builds too. It's the primary reason I played nothing but Guild Wars for 3 years before I bought a PS3. Finding synergy between 64 skills (8 party members with 8 skills each) became an obsession.

However, in this era of dumbed-down gaming (Guild Wars 2 screwed the pooch), there doesn't tend to be much room for variety. One metabuild tends to dominate until the next nerf comes down the pipe. That was my intended meaning

Ok, back on topic.

Anyway, for me, a sizeable part of the fun in games like this is the incremental challenge & refinement that obstacles and the occasional wipe force you to contend with. Where would be the fun and challenge if I just skipped to an endgame level DPS like 800k+ DPS at the start of the game and just cakewalked over everything as fast as I could run ?

No, I'm happy to let my DPS slowly evolve as it is needed.
    800K...pfft. I'm hitting 35M crits with mediocre gear.

Cakewalk is relative to difficulty. I'm running through my bounties on Torment like a hot knife through butter just to be done with the trophies. Things start to get competitive at Torment V and Torment VI is a whole different story...
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 11-21-2014 at 08:22 AM.

Lvl 6 - Silver

800K...pfft. I'm hitting 35M crits with mediocre gear.

Cakewalk is relative to difficulty. I'm running through my bounties on Torment like a hot knife through butter just to be done with the trophies. Things start to get competitive at Torment V and Torment VI is a whole different story...
    I have only just re-reached the start of Act V (re: I just replayed I-IV after migrating in and losing traction due on Torment due to the nerfed Magic Find), so the 800k (non-crit base DPS) was proferred as a guestimate, not a retrospective.

Agreed on using cakewalk settings strictly for retroactive cleanup, not main story mode.

Anyway, I need to grind for a few more lost souls before re-attempting the final bosses of Act V, then I'll be on to adventure mode and cleanup detail. I rarely bother with trophies/challenges that are overly anal (or downright nuts), but I'll definitely clear the low hanging fruit before moving on.
    Last edited by ISI-Society; 11-21-2014 at 08:56 PM.
    Amazon Reviewer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast