Upset 'DmC' Fans Are Entitled Because That's What We Call People Who Complain About Video Games

This is a discussion on Upset 'DmC' Fans Are Entitled Because That's What We Call People Who Complain About Video Games within the DmC: Devil May Cry forum, part of the D; Upset 'DmC' Fans Are Entitled Because That's What We Call People Who Complain About Video Games - Forbes I’ll be ...

INTJ

Upset 'DmC' Fans Are Entitled Because That's What We Call People Who Complain About Video Games

Upset 'DmC' Fans Are Entitled Because That's What We Call People Who Complain About Video Games - Forbes

I’ll be the first to admit that gamers can often go way over the top when they’re upset about something.

Anyone who has been in this business for any length of time has been attacked by one horde or another of video game fans who are Seriously Angry with you because you A) liked a game that they hate or B) disliked a game that they love or C) prefer a specific console or PC over other consoles or the PC. The list goes on. Mobs are irrational, and mobs of gamers are no different.

And so we come to a moment of deja vu, in which we see gamers once again labeled with that most perennial of put-downs: Entitled. Anyone who disagrees with the review consensus of DMC, the Devil May Cry reboot from Ninja Theory and Capcom, is just whining for no good reason apparently.

“Look, kids, the verdict is in: DmC is a lot of fun,” writes Brenna Hillier at VG24/7, appealing to authority by linking to a list of scores for the game compiled by VG24/7.

I wasn’t aware that there were verdicts when it came to accounting for taste, but I’m likely just behind the times. As a critic of scores, I’m downright hopeless when it comes to verdicts.

From here on out, Hillier’s post wanders through a thicket of fallacies.

“What I do not understand is the blithering insanity of Devil May Cry fans in the face of a reboot which does the franchise no harm and by all accounts, quite a lot of good,” she writes, apparently unaware that to many fans of the franchise the reboot has done it harm and is not by all accounts “a lot of good.”

Simply saying so doesn’t make it true. There is no objective barometer of truth when it comes to things like video games.

“The existence of DmC: Devil May Cry doesn’t stop the earlier games existing,” Hillier continues. “It doesn’t betray or compromise that existing (incoherent) vision you love so much. If Microsoft threw up in a puddle and sold it under the name “Halo 5″ it wouldn’t stop Halo and its sequels being what they are.”

I was never a huge Devil May Cry fan, so this new reboot hasn’t really ruffled my feathers despite its obvious shortcomings.

But I can imagine a series of games that I do love very much—the Souls games by From Software, for instance—and I can certainly imagine how I would feel if it Dark Souls 2 changed in ways that hurt the series: betrayed and upset.

This is partly because yes, a new installment in a video game or film franchise really does impact how we feel about the former titles.

This is true in film as well.

For instance, I have never been able to enjoy Star Wars as much as I used to not just because of George Lucas’s shameless edits of the old films, but because of how bad the prequel films were. The awfulness of the second trilogy hurt my overall appreciation of the Star Wars universe.

If Microsoft “threw up in a puddle” and sold it as Halo 5 then yes, that would indelibly harm the Halo brand, and cast a long, bleak shadow back on the earlier games.

This is partly because of association and partly because canon entries in a series really do impact earlier installments. A story is not just beginning, middle, and end. It’s our appreciation of all these components together that counts.

In Jurassic Park 2 (the book) a main character that died in the first book turned out to be only “mostly dead” in the second. That hurt the original a great deal.

The last two Song of Ice and Fire books by George R. R. Martin have been a huge let down for many fans of the series, and this has cast a pall over the earlier books, regardless of how much better they were.

And yes, of course some fans will go too far in their tactics. You know what they say about bad apples. Petitioning the White House is silly, for instance, but only a tiny handful of Devil May Cry fans have actually done that.

In the internet age, we’re privy to all the most ludicrous actions of the vocal minority in every realm of life, but that doesn’t mean that anyone upset with this game is just an “entitled” crybaby giving gamers a bad name.

Just because someone doesn’t agree with VG24/7′s “verdict” doesn’t mean…well it doesn’t mean anything actually (and no, a subset of reviews is not scientific proof of quality anymore than you can gauge a game’s value after it’s been bombed by Metacritic users. These are signposts that can help you in your journey, but not proof of anything at all.)

“And yet despite the complete absence of logic behind this ill-will,” Hillier continues, “it runs so strongly that some of you have gone so far as to send death threats to Ninja Theory staff, to accuse VG247 and its peers of corruption, a charge which stinks of conspiracy-theory paranoia, and to write thousands of words of rabid vitriol against Dante’s hair colour rather than react like a normal human being to a game that has absolutely no impact on your life and happiness in any meaningful way.”

She follows this up with a remarkable saving throw against irony by telling gamers to “grow the #*&$ up” proving once and for all that things that have “absolutely no impact on your life and happiness in any meaningful way” can inspire even the best of us to bouts of rhetorical excess.

Here’s my two cents: I’m about fifty-fifty on DmC so far. There’s good, bad, and ugly in this game, and I can both enjoy it for what it is and lament it for what it isn’t.

But it’s good to criticize and to complain when it comes to video games, television, film, and any other thing which we consume for personal enjoyment. That’s how you get your point out there. It’s not good to do it by issuing death threats, of course, or by attacking the messenger—a much more common fallacy gamers tend to resort to. And of course some people will complain about everything and rarely offer up solutions. Misery loves company, or something like that.

My advice? Make your arguments solid. Make them more solid than your opponents’ arguments. Your arguments should be rocks to their scissors. Utilize data whenever possible, and avoid logical fallacies at all costs.

But don’t ever think that you can’t voice your opinion just because of some artificial “verdict.” Just try to be less of a jerk than the new Dante when you do it.

I’ll probably be far more mild in my critique of DmC than hardcore fans, but that’s because my opinion is going to be inherently different from yours—my taste and my experience and what I want in a game are all unique to me as a gamer and as a human being. Indeed, I imagine many reviewers really did legitimately enjoy DmC.

There is no objective standard here, and there never will be. We are designed to disagree—and that’s a good thing.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Despair View Post
    There will always be poor bastards who cry and complain about things like this. It's absurd to even make such big deals out of it. If any of you don't like the reboot as well, then stay your asses on the HD collection. No one wants to hear bitching and whining from you children.
    good job ignoring the entire point of the article

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

So basically, if it stayed the same, it would be shit, if it didn't it's an abomination? To sum up...... You cannot win where fans are concerned, which is of course, obvious and uncontrollable.

Anyway, i start playing DMC tomorrow, the HD port of Devil May Cry, one of my favourite games ever, was terrible, it nearly destroyed the small bit of kudos i had for the series but tomorrow, i welcome the rebooted Dante because frankly, i haven't seen a good Devil May Cry in 11 years.

Korean Girl Group Groupie

So because some people are idiots and go off to major extremes, and others misuse the term "entitlement" - DmC is a mediocre game and you can post an article about being totally ambiguous about where you stand on it, and say that everybody is... for lack of a better term... entitled to their own opinion.

Meanwhile, people are going to prejudge games, particularly reboots, go off on idiotic tantrums and overblown diatribes before they so much as sniff the game, claim to have played the demos for a couple minutes and have an entire grasp of said game, and how they feel about it, and bash anybody who likes said game, because it's different.

All the while, gamers keep forking out money for games, reviewers keep making money reviewing said games (often being paid for by the companies that product they are reviewing) and gamers continue to bitch on any possible forum they find possible because nothing is ever perfect, and flaws deserve to be amplified and sequestered ad naseum in order to drive home a point.

What did we learn? - Nothing. Thanks for stating the obvious and at the same time using DmC for more hits on your lovely webpage sir.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

Too much to read while I'm in court lol
    but people are always unsettled with change at first
    I admit I didn't like the hair cut but I realized its a different take on the game so why the hell not
    cant take a few differences and call it the worse reboot ever
    enjoy the game and story if possible otherwise return the game
    everyone has different taste
    I know this after many years of gaming
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

To Be Announced

I think this is a sound piece of advice: "Make your arguments solid. Make them more solid than your opponents’ arguments. Your arguments should be rocks to their scissors. Utilize data whenever possible, and avoid logical fallacies at all costs."

A lot of "fans" are all too willing to take their complaints and, rather than justify them using proof that could make them justifiable, go the easy route and simply attack developers, groups, individuals, etc. That, to me, is immature, but the article definitely has a point that one man's trash is another man's treasure and that something that many would claim to be universally loved can be equally loathed. For instance, I hate Avatar, but "by all accounts," it's a good movie, it made money and, therefore, my opinion is invalid. Now, I can back my opinion up as to why I, personally, don't like it, but many people, whether it be films or, in this case, games just don't want to do that and freak out instead rather than be constructive (or, conversely, attack people who don't agree with them). Issuing death threats is not only insane, but pathetic.

There's an immature way to go about things and a mature way to go about things, but sadly too many people take the immature/extreme route and make everyone else as a group (i.e. "gamers") look bad even if that immature group is really a slim minority of the whole. I have no comments on DMC (never played any of them) but the article definitely makes a point about media in general. We have a right to love things or hate things regardless of what the consensus tells us, but go about showing it in a logical manner.

That all said, the thing that's most bothering me is that he called The Lost World... "Jurassic Park 2." Eesh.
    Latest
    Borderlands 2

Currently Playing
    PAYDAY 2

Trophy Checklist

First Trophy Guide

Lvl 6 - Silver

"I have a bigger dick" - Vergil, DmC

Back on topic, when I trash talk about this game is for a good reason, and most of it is because DMC4 left lots of questions open which I would love to see taken care of.
    Also, this new game while has a solid gameplay has some horrible writings, one being the above, another is the fuck you story and things like "I am Mundus" and Dante "You're an asshole" come on, a "fuck you" here and there is fine but this game exagerates big time and while the old Dante had it's downs and all this new one even says that it's priceless to kill the wife and child of Mundus (even if it's a demon he did get heartbroken, at lest looks like it from what I've seen)

In the end, this game could have been way better than what it was, lack of aim is one of the things that annoys me the most

The setting I gotta say that is actually promissing, the writing however sometimes can be really stupid

DON'T BLINK

Apparently someone really really REALLY didn't like this game....

Recently, a gamer named R.J. created a self-important petition on the White House's We The People website. Now, if we're being honest, the majority of these petitions aren't being created for rational reasons. For example, last November someone wrote a petition that asked President Obama to force Ohio to give the city of Toledo back to the state of Michigan. If they failed to comply, Ohio would be compelled to pay 10 trillion dollars in compensation. Also, there are secession petitions for all 50 states, and potheads file a constant stream of semi-legible marijuana legalization petitions. But even with the stupidity of these petitions at the forefront of our minds, R.J.'s petition seems particularly idiotic.

Here it is:

Dear Mr. Obama: As a consumer to the Video Game Industry there is one Video Game that has caused a lot of controversy over the past few month's.

The name of the game is DmC: Devil May Cry made by Ninja Theory and Capcom. A majority of gamer's are aggravated that this game has changed so much from it's past predecessors and the game actually insults the consumers in-game.

We, as consumers did not want nor need this reboot and we believe it violates our rights to have a choice between the original's or the reboot. This game is violating our rights as a consumer and we believe it should be pulled off shelves from game stores due to it's insulting nature and the fact that it violates our rights.

Please Mr. Obama, look into your heart and make the decision that will please us Gamers.
    This DmC Petition Depresses Me - Cheat Code Central

illegal in 9 countries

Fuck the fanboys and their thick-rimmed, rose-coloured nostalgia glasses. If we catered to them we'd still be in the dark ages of video gaming.

If you don't like it then by all means say "this game is shit" if it's shit (the point of the article is to do it constructively), but sifting through the faeces to analyse grain by grain how and where the developers "ruined MY game" is where the entitlement label comes into play.

Mass Effect is the perfect example. It didn't fit within the fanboy parameters of "choose your own ending" to the extent they had hoped as they fapped over hentai images of Femshep (or Dudeshep...whatever floats your boat), so the MINORITY entitlement brigade launched a massive hate campaign, assassinated the characters of numerous Bioware staff and all but demanded they fix the ending because it wasn't all cuddles and rainbows. The amusing aspect of it was half of those complaining hadn't even played the game...including you cheesedoodles.

In the internet age, we’re privy to all the most ludicrous actions of the vocal minority in every realm of life, but that doesn’t mean that anyone upset with this game is just an “entitled” crybaby giving gamers a bad name.
    Agreed, however the entitlement tag is dependent on how you react. For example...

“And yet despite the complete absence of logic behind this ill-will,” Hillier continues, “it runs so strongly that some of you have gone so far as to send death threats to Ninja Theory staff, to accuse VG247 and its peers of corruption, a charge which stinks of conspiracy-theory paranoia, and to write thousands of words of rabid vitriol against Dante’s hair colour rather than react like a normal human being to a game that has absolutely no impact on your life and happiness in any meaningful way.”
    Entitled...there's no other way to put it.

I have more of a problem with incessant fanboy pissing and moaning than any sucky game sequel ever made. Tell someone who gives a shit'n'stuff, there's no need to be an asshat when you do it and if you don't like it, don't buy it.

If you insist on participating in a childish, entitled (me! me! me! waaaah!), fanboy circle-jerk and end up rubbing a developer the wrong way because you're acting like a dick, don't be surprised when they tell you to fuck off - your $0.02 isn't worth shit. If you behaved that way in the real world, you'd be picking up your teeth with broken fingers.

There are consequences attached to ill-behaviour in real life. Act like a normal human being online and the entitled tag disappears...: POOF! :
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 01-22-2013 at 09:40 PM.

Negator

Uses Dark Souls 2 as an example of how a series could possibly be ruined...doesn't mention Dark Souls ruining the legacy of Demon's Souls.

Sound article is sound.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay