should i really play this 5+ more times?

This is a discussion on should i really play this 5+ more times? within the DmC: Devil May Cry forum, part of the D; dmc was enjoyable enough for one playthrough, and ill soldier on to finish another playthrough to get all the collectables, ...

Lvl 10 - Platinum

should i really play this 5+ more times?

dmc was enjoyable enough for one playthrough, and ill soldier on to finish another playthrough to get all the collectables, but i cant see myself playing this game 6 times, i know many people find this easy, but im a button masher, not a combo expert, and i find the combat to be somewhat difficult, doubt i could finish up the harder difficulties without much aggravation, anyone have any thoughts on whether i should just give up or should i try to finish off this platinum? im definitely taking a break next week when ds 3 comes out, but im not sure if i should come back to dmc afterwards

illegal in 9 countries

Do the difficulty trophies not stack?

Any game requiring more than at most 2 playthroughs for a Plat is a ball-ache. Why force people to replay a game over and over again when you've already seen and done it all? It's boredom-inducing and makes you hate the game by the time it's finished.

Bad dev. Very bad. Sit.

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post

Any game requiring more than at most 2 playthroughs for a Plat is a ball-ache. Why force people to replay a game over and over again when you've already seen and done it all? It's boredom-inducing and makes you hate the game by the time it's finished.

Bad dev. Very bad. Sit.
    yeah each difficulty only unlocks the next higher difficulty, requiring 5 playthroughs for all difficulties and another to get sss rank on each mission in one specific difficulty

Lvl 6 - Silver

Bad dev. Very bad. Sit.
    well that's the whole point of trophies to keep u coming back for more and yes i agree 6 playthroughs is a lot but no one said u have to do them in a row u can go for each one every time u finish another game that way you'll keep returning to the game (money well spend) and at the same time enjoying other games and getting the platinum in all of them

Toggle Spoiler

For me trophies have become an integral part of gaming, like a stereo in a car. Is it really necessary? No. Is it a lot more fun with it though? Hell yeah!

quoted by Robinworldwide

Rangers F.C

Play it another 5+ times if you like but there is every chance you will never want to play it again . Get another game and play one then go to the next once you are bored , I am doing this now to get the XP points on RE6 , then jumping on Dragons Dogma ( amazing game )
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Aboelsas View Post
    well that's the whole point of trophies to keep u coming back for more and yes i agree 6 playthroughs is a lot but no one said u have to do them in a row u can go for each one every time u finish another game that way you'll keep returning to the game (money well spend) and at the same time enjoying other games and getting the platinum in all of them
    When the difference between 1 playthrough and 6 is a slightly longer red bar for enemies and a slightly shorter one for you, that's not a good approach to a trophy list, that's lazy development. It artificially inflates the value of a game in a similar way to 10K kill trophies in Killzone 2, Unreal Tournament 3, Bad Company etc and collectibles in GTA IV, inFamous, FFXIII etc. It's not fun, it's repetitive and boring.

At least most developers of late have learned from their mistakes and created simpler (not necessarily easier) achievements for the sequels. You gotta remember the people who collect trophies are the most likely to have more than one game on their backlog. They want to get in, complete all requirements for the Plat, then move onto the next game. Forcing us to invest dozens more hours into a game we've already finished leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

For example, I recently completed the XCOM Plat. The first playthrough was to more or less come to grips with the game and I loved every moment of it. The second was a challenge at the most difficult level. I still enjoyed it and felt satisfied that I'd completed everything the game had to offer. The subsequent three forced playthroughs for the Plat were nothing short of torturous...I'd done it all before and was simply going through the motions for another 50 hours. That sucked, I now don't like the game and never want to play it again.

Game like The Walking Dead and Crysis get it right. There's no need to go out of your way to complete obscure and dull fetch quests or kill counts. You play the game, rack up the trophies, crank it up the highest difficulty (if the game has one), ding the Plat and move on with fond memories of the experience.

Korean Girl Group Groupie

When the difference between 1 playthrough and 6 is a slightly longer red bar for enemies and a slightly shorter one for you, that's not a good approach to a trophy list, that's lazy development. It artificially inflates the value of a game in a similar way to 10K kill trophies in Killzone 2, Unreal Tournament 3, Bad Company etc and collectibles in GTA IV, inFamous, FFXIII etc. It's not fun, it's repetitive and boring.
    I think you mean Resistance 2 for the first, and I don't think Final Fantasy XIII is that bad by most RPG standards - it's actually in the upper tier of easy and less grind-y Platinums out there (not to mention it's one of only a few games you can count on one hand that actually rewards you with something for getting the plat, in sweet themes).

It seems to me that the people who don't really get trophy lists are every Japanese developer (outside of Sony first party, and Square Enix who've progressively gotten better with each attempt) and first time developers who really seem confused by the concept (which makes you sometimes question if they even understand achievement systems at all or game for that aspect). There are exceptions, as Ninja Theory seems to have messed up the cha cha with this one, and Visceral seems to enjoy inflicting the scare factor from their trophy lists alone with the Dead Space series, but as Ant said, most developers have developed a healthier balance of making something that is challenging, but at the same time enjoyable - because the majority of your consumer base aren't sadistic or slaves of monotony.

I've gotten over the forcing myself to play a game factor long ago, and if you really don't want to play a game 5+ times in order to get a platinum - don't do it, especially if you're boring the crap out of yourself to do it. To me gaming is supposed to be something to cut loose about, and replaying something that isn't enjoyable is not a relaxing pass time. If you really insist upon doing it - go for it - it's your profile and you should do what you want with it. But if you have enough doubts to post on a forum if you think it's worthwhile, chances are you have already answered that question yourself.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)