Strategies to start the game?

This is a discussion on Strategies to start the game? within the Dragon Age: Origins forum, part of the D; Folks, I'm starting up the game, and wanted to know if any of you recommended any strategies, or "do's and ...

PRO Member

Strategies to start the game?

Folks,

I'm starting up the game, and wanted to know if any of you recommended any strategies, or "do's and don'ts" while getting started. I know from playing other RPGs that if you make some early bad choices, you might as well start from scratch.

Also, playing the DLCs, do they fall into line with the main story, or pretty much stand apart? I know that in such games like Fallout, you can get certain armor and weapons from the DLC's fairly early on that help immensely with the main quest. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." - Mark Twain

Harvester of Souls

yeah most of the earlier DLC falls into the story of the game and is really cool.. not worth the full price, unless you're palying the Ultimate edition or something, but yeah. Shale comes with new game and is awesome or at least used to come.. not sure how that voucher deal works.

Tips.. been a long time since played, but try to keep a mage and get them to learn some heals. Always want them to be healing when you can on tougher enemies. Save often to avoid any decisions that you might run into and could alter the game. Read over the guide to see easiest ways for the ending trophies and get the platinum quickest. If trophies don't matter, then play with whoever you want and just have fun . Can be a quick plat with saving and reloading for some choices, BUT otherwise, could be a lengthy plat if don't see some things coming.

Will edit or post more tips that I can think of later. . Explore places thoroughly especially the beginning place.. The first town you get to.. as some stuff there that you will miss and can't go back to.

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

PRO Member

Shale from "The Stone Prisioner" DLC is a good warrior type and should be gotten early.The dog is a good tank type.

If you download the patch or have the Ultimate edition it will glitch the Blight-Queller trophy.Making it so you have to get all 1000 kills in one playthrough.

I always kept the rogue girl (can't remember her name) with me since they earn EXP from picking locks and disabling traps.And when you learn the Ranger skill with them they become decent in battle.Since they can stay back and shoot a bow and the wolf/bear/spider they summon is another melee fighter.

And like Nero said check out Lothering? (The first town) good because you can't get back.And save often on the harder difficulties.

Sig and Avy made by djunglist
    My Trophy Checklist

Harvester of Souls

yeah LOthering was the place. Get dog kinda early one depending on some of your choices, so yo jmight as well keep him. And some other prisoner, not going into detail, but that's in Lothering too.

Liliana is also in Lothering, she's the rogue type chick and is really beast. I kept her all the time since I was a warrior. Used Morrigan as my mage, and Shale on team most time, but would switch him/her out.

No real reason to patch the game unless you have Ultimate edition anyhow so yeah, it makes it where you have to get all kills yourself vs team mates counting, if I remember correctly? Patched right after I got plat, so I didn't worry on it.

PRO Member

Thanks for the tips! I have the Ultimate Edition, so it sounds like I'll have a hoot with the DLC's. The patch at the start of the game is for 1.04 now, think that 1.03 patched that one trophy you mentioned. I read the guide on here, and found what should be a good work-around on it.

Again, thanks!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." - Mark Twain

Legend...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by NeroRadec707 View Post
    yeah LOthering was the place. Get dog kinda early one depending on some of your choices, so yo jmight as well keep him. And some other prisoner, not going into detail, but that's in Lothering too.

Liliana is also in Lothering, she's the rogue type chick and is really beast. I kept her all the time since I was a warrior. Used Morrigan as my mage, and Shale on team most time, but would switch him/her out.

No real reason to patch the game unless you have Ultimate edition anyhow so yeah, it makes it where you have to get all kills yourself vs team mates counting, if I remember correctly? Patched right after I got plat, so I didn't worry on it.
    Wait, the Ultimate Edition has the glitched update with it? I can't delete the update?
    How do I get the 1000 kills in one playthrough then?

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Harvester of Souls

I don't know about it being in one playthough.. Just know it's on your character and not the other members. Plenty of places to farm kills.. like in the Deeproads OR at the end during a battle.. Infinite troops. The game will read and keep track of all kills so you can always see where you are. It's not so much as glitched.. as they changed and updated so it is your character that does it and to fix errors in the game reading it.

Legend...Nuff Said

Thats good then. I was worried the game would be unplattable.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Harvester of Souls

Oh no. It's definitely manageable. Lol. Welcomes both of you. Any questions hit me up. I'll try to help all I can, but been a LONG time since played. . Did some of the DLC guides and Awakening expansion one.

Nothing that comes out at me to make sure you do or don't do.. cept lots of save files to reload and do paths differently. Entire game is shapped by a few decisions so beware.

Trophy Guide Kitten

I just got the Ultimate edition too. I played it awhile ago and got lost so i stopped . I think I will start over though and use this thread for some help
    K? Thanks

Trophy Guide Grand Master

Don't just use our guide, also use the Dragon Age Wiki Our guide is severely lacking especially when it comes to the relationship trophies in the game. To elaborate on what Nero said, use the Advanced Tactics and setup your healer to have top priorities to Heal your party before anything else. Also, set the rest of your party to use Potions to Heal themselves when they get below a certain amount of health as their first command set.

Make sure you properly invest in the skills that will improve speech challenges and Lockpicking as these will help you a lot in the game.

If you purchase the Feast Day DLC from the PSN store, you will have access to several gifts which will make gaining friendship with your party members a breeze, just remember that if you raise the friendship levels too high too fast on some of the characters *cough* Leliana*cough* it will lock out her missions required for her romance and you will need to take extra steps to piss her off to get them back before your playthrough ends

Save the DLCs that you can select in the New Game Menu until after you finish your first playthrough and if you plan on playing DA2 after DA: O remember your choices on DA: O and Awakening will have effects on that game. Save Awakening for when you have a character you really want to continue playing with and import them.

Play on EASY if you are having troubles

If you ahve any other questions, I just got that plat a few weeks ago and I will be happy to help you with what I can remember