Convince me to buy this game...

This is a discussion on Convince me to buy this game... within the Dragon's Dogma forum, part of the D; ...or convince me not to buy this game. I've been on the fence about it for a long time, and ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Convince me to buy this game...

...or convince me not to buy this game.

I've been on the fence about it for a long time, and I thought I would ask you guys what you thought about it. I want its good points, its flaws, silliness, difficulty--the whole shebang. And we'll see whether or not I pick it up when I go out tonight.

Change is mediocre

Well, the people that have it love the shit out of it, and the people that don't have no idea. So, that right there is something good

Game on....

I have it, i love it and you should buy it. I have been playing it like crazy. On Amazon.co.uk this game has 16 full five star ratings and no bad reviews. Need i say more..?

Resident PHD

Check out Angry Joe's review of the game. He goes over the good and the bad and it is a good watch
    Dragon’s Dogma Angry Review | The Angry Joe Show

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Lvl 6 - Silver

If you need convinvcing to buy the game then you probably shouldnt get the game thats just my opinion

Game on....

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    Check out Angry Joe's review of the game. He goes over the good and the bad and it is a good watch
    Dragon’s Dogma Angry Review | The Angry Joe Show
    I feel that this review is a little harsh now that i have played the game extensively and for many hours. Fast travel exists in the game and is better than Skyrim because you can put the portcrystals anywhere on the map. The amount of walking he mentiones is exaggerated and most games like this have tons of walking and exploration (skyrim). This is one of Capcom's finest games and is completely underrated. I hope those who have played and are playing this game agree with me.

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    I feel that this review is a little harsh now that i have played the game extensively and for many hours. Fast travel exists in the game and is better than Skyrim because you can put the portcrystals anywhere on the map. The amount of walking he mentiones is exaggerated and most games like this have tons of walking and exploration (skyrim). This is one of Capcom's finest games and is completely underrated. I hope those who have played and are playing this game agree with me.
    I will have to agree with him here. Fast travel does exist, later in the game, and the game has many surprises for you. If you like action-RPG, are a fan of Capcom and generally like to slay huge, terrifying monsters, then this game is for you!
    | Avatar by In2 | | Sig by Athena |

Platinum Dohvakiin

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseclown View Post
    If you need convinvcing to buy the game then you probably shouldnt get the game thats just my opinion
    Everything that is either bought or not bought by anyone. Is due to somebody/thing convincing them one way or the other. From game reviews/trailers. To your friends bragging how great it is to play. To somebody making a thread much like this one. Every game you ever played or didn't play. You were convinced one way or the other to do so.

To quote Ben Afflack from the movie Boiler Room. "Every call is a sales call. Either you convince them to buy some stock. Or they convince you why they can't."

on topic.
    To me Dragon's Dogma is the sleeper game of the spring/summer. It didn't come out with a lot of fanfare. But the game has steadily grown it's own fallowing. And mostly off of word of mouth and favorable reviews. Yes the game does have some flaws. Like the inventory system for me. But most games these days are flawed to some extent. The most important thing is. The game is both challenging and still remains fun to play. Al though the pawns are a give and take kind of thing. It's great to have them in battle. But their 'chatter' gets old real fast.

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:Lightning Returns:FFXIII, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Call of Duty: AW

Check Those Corners

Would not know, but it looks cool. And reviewers are phrasing it as a decent game, you decide:
    Dragon's Dogma - PlayStation 3 - IGN
    Dragon's Dogma review - Telegraph
    Dragon's Dogma

Harvester of Souls

I'd definitely say to get this game, as I've platinumed it and still playing it.. I just overall, LOVE IT! I'll list some things that stood out to me in terms of good Vs Bad about the game to give you an idea, but you may favor a different style and think some good things I liked are bad. Different opinions.

Start off before that listing some RPGs I LOVED and/or liked but played extensively.

Demon's Souls
    Dark Souls
    Monster Hunter
    Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
    Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll(Another great underrated game I felt, with it's own share of flaws and desires to be wanted)
    Dungeon Siege III(enjoyed it and beat it, but still an ok game)
    The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim(should of been alot better, but I still enjoyed bits I played)
    Dragon Age: Origins/Awakening(good tactical feel for a RPG, but best on PC)

Pros

Gameplay: This is where the game fully shines on. It's combat and gameplay. I'd rate a solid 10/10 on it. Feels amazing and never in my two+ full playthroughs ever felt boring. Many styles to choose from being a mage to a up close warrior with swords or daggers and long range archer types. Mix it up for a style that fits you best and alternate throughout your play time to experience something different. Plus add an interesting way to face monsters in the game similar to a Shadow of the Colossus style fight where you can target weakpoints on foes while clinging and climbing over them. You don't have to do this, but helps out in a number of fights.

Story: The story for the game, needed some work, but I still didn't mind it. Kept me entertained and expecting what's next to come. Ending was really enjoyable for me and made the story worthwhile. Story is a bad/good thing all in one. More a inbetween where it wasn't bad, though left some more to be desired

Length of Play: You will be playing this game for a while. Doing all sidequests, story missions, exploration and fighting some hidden baddies through the game will give you nearly over 80+ Hours of gameplay and then some more if go fully for the platinum in it. Definitely worth a buy, but you COULD potentially rush through it and be finished in under a week. I attempted everything and was done in 3 weeks, so definitely a great and worthwhile buy considering I still enjoy playing it.

Unique Co-op/Pawn System: This is a new idea not really seen before in that you can use up to 3 different allies to battle with you known as Pawns. You download these from rift stones throughout the world, but are all connected "beyond the rift". You make one as your own personal unique pawn ever how you like and choose a vocation/class for him. Then you can use 2 other pawns from the world(generic ones OFFLINE or custom made online pawns of other players and your friends). These will have different names, armor, stats, and abilities defined only by the players who created them.

Cons

There are none. I'm kidding, every game has something that could be improved or worked better.

Story: As I said, the story leaves some room for improvement and could of been better woven together and more to the point during the game. Many of the quests you'll do feel useless and just minor tasks for other people, but most games will throw you these types of quests. Near the end, you will actually have some meaningful battles and more at the start of the game, it connects. Middle feels like a filler bundle of mess but you can look at it as the NPCs don't trust you to handle the issues going around yet so it has it's place and can be a good thing. You can appreciate it though.

Pawn System: Your AI controlled pawns can sometimes be a bad thing in the game. They will talk nonstop which can get old and be annoying, but also some humor to be seen through this if can find it. They will often cast spells and tell you things you already know or don't care or need at the inappropriate times while then not doing this when needed later. One such example is casting fire spells for goblins but waiting until after you're nearly finished killing them before casting or when a big Hydra is after you and not casting it and instead enchant your weapon with "ICE" or other elements that aren't as effective against the foe. Minor things like this, but can easily be overlooked if you develop and customize your pawn for the needed battle. Also search for different pawns in different situations rather than haul around with the same few nonstop.

Repetitiveness: If you don't ever change up your vocation, things could start to seem repetitive in the end game areas as you'll be constantly using the same attacks and abilities, however I didn't feel this way I can see it going there for other players. Also, biggest draw back and item wanted to touch on was that enemies will spawn the same way in same spots as you walk and journey. It will still be fun killing them, it will be repetitive venturing through areas multiple times with no uniqueness to your foes seen. Again, didn't bother me as I just killed them anyways, but others may have issues with this.

Minor Other Facts

Fast Travel: This game uses an unique fast travel system where you must find items called port crystals and use another item called ferrystones to travel back and forth from portcrystals.. Or simply walk from one camp to another or town to town. Your first game, will be very limited in that you can only find one other portcrystal in the game and use one stationary city set on in Capital area. The ferrystones are also a right bit expensive and will cost you several thousand gold to acquire(or wait in-game and find them spawning in ares). I loved this feature as it makes you explore and travel during your game rather than port to city to city for everything you need.

Expansive Amazing Landscapes: Through your journeys, you'll go through numerous different areas all looking nearly as amazing as Skyrim does. Characters and faces don't look as good, but your scenery and sun sets and rises are absolutely amazing to see and watch. You also can play through and see the world go from day to night and vice versa.

Online: There is no direct online connection with the game except say for downloading other users pawns, uploading data for pawns used/getting items for other players using your pawns, and one boss battle that shares the fight with everyone online in separate instances(dungeon spawns). You can't actively play with other players or go into their games to explore or anything like that. Just the use and knowledge of their pawns and what other players/the creator has accomplished with them. The battle I spoke of is a fight online where you fight the monster with your team as usual, except it uploads the damage you dealt online and adds to everything other players have done. This is really unique and awesome in that you all share a fight. Also, no one person gets the kill. Anyone sharing in the fight will receive some loot for it and are allowed a bit of time when the foe is defeated to strike a finished blow as well t get the MAXIMUM loot possible.

Now that I look back on it, I've created a minor review and will review it as was planning. . Unsure if the Review team will or not, but check out their section if they do. Hope this helps and helps anyone decide if they will want to buy it or not. . Let me know if you agree or disagree with any points I have made. .
    Last edited by NeroRadec707; 06-10-2012 at 02:37 PM.

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by NeroRadec707 View Post
    I'd definitely say to get this game, as I've platinumed it and still playing it.. I just overall, LOVE IT! I'll list some things that stood out to me in terms of good Vs Bad about the game to give you an idea, but you may favor a different style and think some good things I liked are bad. Different opinions.

Start off before that listing some RPGs I LOVED and/or liked but played extensively.

Demon's Souls
    Dark Souls
    Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
    Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll(Another great underrated game I felt, with it's own share of flaws and desires to be wanted)
    Dungeon Siege III(enjoyed it and beat it, but still an ok game)
    The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim(should of been alot better, but I still enjoyed bits I played)
    Dragon Age: Origins/Awakening(good tactical feel for a RPG, but best on PC)

Pros
    Gameplay: This is where the game fully shines on. It's combat and gameplay. I'd rate a solid 10/10 on it. Feels amazing and never in my two+ full playthroughs ever felt boring. Many styles to choose from being a mage to a up close warrior with swords or daggers and long range archer types. Mix it up for a style that fits you best and alternate throughout your play time to experience something different. Plus add an interesting way to face monsters in the game similar to a Shadow of the Colossus style fight where you can target weakpoints on foes while clinging and climbing over them. You don't have to do this, but helps out in a number of fights.

Story: The story for the game, needed some work, but I still didn't mind it. Kept me entertained and expecting what's next to come. Ending was really enjoyable for me and made the story worthwhile. Story is a bad/good thing all in one. More a inbetween where it wasn't bad, though left some more to be desired

Length of Play: You will be playing this game for a while. Doing all sidequests, story missions, exploration and fighting some hidden baddies through the game will give you nearly over 80+ Hours of gameplay and then some more if go fully for the platinum in it. Definitely worth a buy, but you COULD potentially rush through it and be finished in under a week. I attempted everything and was done in 3 weeks, so definitely a great and worthwhile buy considering I still enjoy playing it.

Unique Co-op/Pawn System: This is a new idea not really seen before in that you can use up to 3 different allies to battle with you known as Pawns. You download these from rift stones throughout the world, but are all connected "beyond the rift". You make one as your own personal unique pawn ever how you like and choose a vocation/class for him. Then you can use 2 other pawns from the world(generic ones OFFLINE or custom made online pawns of other players and your friends). These will have different names, armor, stats, and abilities defined only by the players who created them.

Cons
    There are none. I'm kidding, every game has something that could be improved or worked better.

Story: As I said, the story leaves some room for improvement and could of been better woven together and more to the point during the game. Many of the quests you'll do feel useless and just minor tasks for other people, but most games will throw you these types of quests. Near the end, you will actually have some meaningful battles and more at the start of the game, it connects. Middle feels like a filler bundle of mess but you can look at it as the NPCs don't trust you to handle the issues going around yet so it has it's place and can be a good thing. You can appreciate it though.

Pawn System: Your AI controlled pawns can sometimes be a bad thing in the game. They will talk nonstop which can get old and be annoying, but also some humor to be seen through this if can find it. They will often cast spells and tell you things you already know or don't care or need at the inappropriate times while then not doing this when needed later. One such example is casting fire spells for goblins but waiting until after you're nearly finished killing them before casting or when a big Hydra is after you and not casting it and instead enchant your weapon with "ICE" or other elements that aren't as effective against the foe. Minor things like this, but can easily be overlooked if you develop and customize your pawn for the needed battle. Also search for different pawns in different situations rather than haul around with the same few nonstop.

Repetitiveness: If you don't ever change up your vocation, things could start to seem repetitive in the end game areas as you'll be constantly using the same attacks and abilities, however I didn't feel this way I can see it going there for other players. Also, biggest draw back and item wanted to touch on was that enemies will spawn the same way in same spots as you walk and journey. It will still be fun killing them, it will be repetitive venturing through areas multiple times with no uniqueness to your foes seen. Again, didn't bother me as I just killed them anyways, but others may have issues with this.

Minor Other Facts
    Fast Travel: This game uses an unique fast travel system where you must find items called port crystals and use another item called ferrystones to travel back and forth from portcrystals.. Or simply walk from one camp to another or town to town. Your first game, will be very limited in that you can only find one other portcrystal in the game and use one stationary city set on in Capital area. The ferrystones are also a right bit expensive and will cost you several thousand gold to acquire(or wait in-game and find them spawning in ares). I loved this feature as it makes you explore and travel during your game rather than port to city to city for everything you need.

Expansive Amazing Landscapes: Through your journeys, you'll go through numerous different areas all looking nearly as amazing as Skyrim does. Characters and faces don't look as good, but your scenery and sun sets and rises are absolutely amazing to see and watch. You also can play through and see the world go from day to night and vice versa.

Online: There is no direct online connection with the game except say for downloading other users pawns, uploading data for pawns used/getting items for other players using your pawns, and one boss battle that shares the fight with everyone online in separate instances(dungeon spawns). You can't actively play with other players or go into their games to explore or anything like that. Just the use and knowledge of their pawns and what other players/the creator has accomplished with them. The battle I spoke of is a fight online where you fight the monster with your team as usual, except it uploads the damage you dealt online and adds to everything other players have done. This is really unique and awesome in that you all share a fight. Also, no one person gets the kill. Anyone sharing in the fight will receive some loot for it and are allowed a bit of time when the foe is defeated to strike a finished blow as well t get the MAXIMUM loot possible.

Now that I look back on it, I've created a minor review and will review it as was planning. . Unsure if the Review team will or not, but check out their section if they do. Hope this helps and helps anyone decide if they will want to buy it or not. . Let me know if you agree or disagree with any points I have made. .
    all good points there nero, agree with pretty much everything, i think capcom could have put a little more variety in the monsters like other mythical beasts, trolls, ettins, maybe pegasi or unicorns, hopefully it sells well enough for a sequel and they can iron out the minor flaws

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

No, I cannot bear to kill unicorns, or pegasi! How can you suggest such a thing, ferretbusiness?!

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Wow, I was not expecting such in-depth comments here! Thank you everyone! I'm sorry I could not respond earlier, things came up, but now I'm going to be sure and pick it up if I can tonight. In which case, I need to get moving (dang Sunday hours...) but I'll leave a more in-depth comment after I'm back.

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by cocoasg View Post
    No, I cannot bear to kill unicorns, or pegasi! How can you suggest such a thing, ferretbusiness?!
    unicorn and pegasus mounts would be awesome though right? i realize theyre generally good natured creatures but how rich would unicorn horns make you and pegasi wings?

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

Quote Originally Posted by ferretbusiness View Post
    unicorn and pegasus mounts would be awesome though right? i realize theyre generally good natured creatures but how rich would unicorn horns make you and pegasi wings?
    Tsk, tsk, how evil of you. Just using them as mounts are good enough, to meditate travel, but do not even think twice about cutting off unicorn horns and pegasi wings.... >_<

Since Aug. 09

loving this game! my play time has been limited lately, but when i do its awesome! get it...

Dominate!

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by cocoasg View Post
    Tsk, tsk, how evil of you. Just using them as mounts are good enough, to meditate travel, but do not even think twice about cutting off unicorn horns and pegasi wings.... >_<
    just think about the succulent meat, much better than the unspeakable meat from an ogre

Harvester of Souls

Lol I definitely wish there was more variety in creatures too as Kingdoms of Amalur had. I'll say I enjoyed playing both GREATLY, but Amalur has this beat in terms of story and creature diversity. Love taking down griffins and hydras . Just wish there were more of them out in the world rather than so isolated.

Capcom fix some of these and they could make a damn epic spiritual successor. I wouldn't say a direct sequel, but keep all the elements in this game, maybe had some REAL co-op or offline maybe co-op be nice.. more creatures, more in depth storyline, and same combat style and we have a damn hit .

Game on....

Quote Originally Posted by NeroRadec707 View Post
    Lol I definitely wish there was more variety in creatures too as Kingdoms of Amalur had. I'll say I enjoyed playing both GREATLY, but Amalur has this beat in terms of story and creature diversity. Love taking down griffins and hydras . Just wish there were more of them out in the world rather than so isolated.
    That is a good point. I might have to check out amalur.

Harvester of Souls

I definitely recommend it Timeless . But both are great games