Dungeon Defenders II Reboot

This is a discussion on Dungeon Defenders II Reboot within the Dungeon Defenders forum, part of the D; As some of you may know, DunDef2 was originally intended to be a MoBA styled game (Dota2/LoL), but a recent ...

Negator

Dungeon Defenders II Reboot

As some of you may know, DunDef2 was originally intended to be a MoBA styled game (Dota2/LoL), but a recent shift in development is bringing it back to its Tower Defense roots.

Hi there, my name is Dave Loyd and when I became Studio Director at Trendy a few months ago, I had some tough decisions to make. It had been two years since we shipped Dungeon Defenders and many of you began rightfully asking one important question: where is Dungeon Defenders II?

Originally it was being developed as a MOBA-style PVP game, but we reviewed the project and decided to turn the ship, refocusing our efforts on a true sequel. I’m happy to announce today that Dungeon Defenders II is in development!

The first thing we needed to do to steer us back on course, was involve the whole crew. We started looking at DD1 and brainstorming. What did we do well and want more of? What did we want to improve? What were the most exciting aspects of making a sequel to the original game? We generated tons of ideas and ultimately created The Five Pillars of Dungeon Defenders II. We define these pillars as axioms, rules by which all game features are assessed, and which must be upheld at all times (Pro tip: expect a future article diving into these pillars).

Pillars in hand, we began to concept the game! Strike teams explored ideas for core gameplay mechanics while others began to establish a vision for the project. It was Daniel Haddad, a gameplay programmer, who finally presented a concept which unleashed a torrent of creative thought. That concept, like a blacksmith’s hammer, rang throughout the studio, molding and shaping the Dungeon Defenders II project. In fact, Daniel wields that hammer today as the Lead Content Designer on the project.

Even with all of that, we were still missing one piece of the treasure map. We had our pillars. We had our core concept. With an art style that is both fanciful and fun, we accelerated, and now we turn to that final missing piece- you, our Community.

I believe that as players, we want to share memorable gaming experiences with our friends. We want to share our ideas and insights with the developers who make the games we love and have our voices heard. As Studio Director, I am working to enable ways for you to share and get involved. Our approach to this reboot of Dungeon Defenders II keeps that principle close to the heart, and we intend to provide even more methods for you to help us mold Dungeon Defenders into a game that will resonate in these very ways. We will be announcing the first initiative toward that goal later this month (Hint: it’s around an important date).

Additionally, we’ll be at the upcoming New York Comic Con (booth #556) where you can come and play the pre-alpha version of the game! If you want to give feedback, meet the developers, or just get your hands on an early version of the game, stop on by! We’d love to see you there!

Until then, if you have been brainstorming like we have and already have ideas, you can share those with me right now by commenting below. If you want to get in touch with me directly, feel free to send me an email, [email protected], and I will get back to you.
    For you seasoned defenders out there, what changes would you like to see in DunDef2?

I'd personally like customizable armor/weapons/pets that showed cosmetic differences while equipped.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

#hashtag

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    As some of you may know, DunDef2 was originally intended to be a MoBA styled game (Dota2/LoL), but a recent shift in development is bringing it back to its Tower Defense roots.
    I was skeptic about the whole F2P route since that day we read about it glad they're making it a full commercial title again.