Tips for a Skyrim noob?

This is a discussion on Tips for a Skyrim noob? within the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, The forum, part of the E; Hey guys I'm just going to start on Skyrim. I really need some tips because I have no knowledge whatsoever ...

Lvl 9 - Gold

Tips for a Skyrim noob?

Hey guys I'm just going to start on Skyrim. I really need some tips because I have no knowledge whatsoever on this game.

Also, I'd like to know with which class I should start off.
    Platbar by Wadefan1

PRO Member

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

For class it depends what you want to do. Are you going to use Melee? Try using an Orc. You going to be using magic? Try an Elf to start off.

And make sure you try to limit yourself to as few skills as possible. The more skills you advance in, the more variety and options you'll have, but the fewer skills the better you advanced in them and overall. Don't be like me and decide when its almost too late.

дурак

If you run into a bear early on, let's hope you can outrun it. They will rock your world in a second.

Also be mindful of the class you choose. They all mostly have skills that will suit your playstyle. If you are a melee character, stick with a class that encourages such a thing. Same thing with magic or sneak or whatever you want.
    Blank Friend Requests will be ignored and/or blocked
    My Checklist | My Trading Thread | My Youtube Channel
    "The oldest and strongest of emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown"

HDD corrupted u.u

Be careful in the plains or tundras of Skyrim. There are mammoths and giants infesting them. Both of them can kill you with one hit. Don't make anything hostile, unless you know you can beat it.

wear articles of clothing that enhances your best skill, like if you use magic, use necromancer robes, if you want to be hand to hand combatant with swords, wear armor.

And conserve the gold you acquire from slaying enemies, finding in boxes, etc. As you explore, there are merchants in farther cities/settlements that sell very useful stuff.
    [floatleft][/floatleft]

AKA bar by Athena| Avatar by Dare_xLw
    |Signature by Luckay

My showcase

by "Neo Gimp" D1Mech and "Smudgetastic" djunglist

Sigs And Beyond (closed)/Deja View (open)
    Sigs/Banners/Avatars/Headers requests

Lvl 4 - Silver

If your traveling around, try to stick to the roads. If you stray to far away from them wild animals will attack you. E.g. Bears, Saber Tooth Cats, etc. Also try not to be over encumbered. Try to learn to keep only what you need, but this is only better later when you find super awesome stuff. If our going with a more melee character use heavy armor. If your going for melee/sneak use light armor. If your going for magic try to find enchanted robes.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Hey guys I'm just going to start on Skyrim. I really need some tips because I have no knowledge whatsoever on this game.

Also, I'd like to know with which class I should start off.
    Welcome aboard.

As someone who's already platted, my advice:

* Race: in the long haul, it's almost completely irrelevant, because the racial bonuses, while useful early on, rapidly fade against your accrued skill advancements and perks. The bottom line is this: pick whatever race best helps you get into your character.

* I strongly recommend making a rapid determined run though the smithing and item enchanting trees (in that order) ... commit early and exclusively to either the light or heavy armor route, and 1H or 2H weapons, and then stick with them. The smithing tree has obvious benefits, but the enchanting tree is a more subtle but ultimately profound choice, because you'll be able to craft themed item sets that boost things like thieving, smithing, crafting, and various warrior or mage skills, which ultimately makes it one of the most powerful trees you can have. Stop by the smithing and enchanting thread for more details. Creating a thieving boosting set in particular can help you completely eliminate the need to expend any perk points in things like lockpicking & pickpocketing, which in turn helps you focus those perk points elsewhere. I've twice completed both the assassin and thief guild storylines without needing a single perk point in either of those trees, thanks to my thieving item set.

* I also strongly recommend the sneak skill ... in particular, the damage multipliers for surprise backstabbing (which helps a lot at low levels) and surprise archery (which is helpful at all levels). The rest of the sneak tree can be largely ignored, if you follow my advice on enchanting some thieving bling.

* Alchemy is also valuable to have ... and also generates some excellent income, once you get good at it.

* Homes: for your first house, I strongly recommend breezehome in whiterun, for multiple reasons that will become self evident to you with time and plot advancement. By the time you outgrow it, you can buy anywhere that suits you (I generally lean towards solitude, but that's just me).

Enjoy.

p.s. Oh, and the usual warnings: dont kill dogs (wolves ok, but not dogs), never ever sell your thief guild armor (stow it safely in your house), fast track the civil war quests (the longer you wait, the more likely they are to get broken by random exploration of the countryside), and if you're doing the light armor smithing route be sure to save at least half of all the dragon bones and scales you pick up (stow them in your house).
    ΦBK Phi Beta Kappa society motto: "philosophia biou kybernetes" {love of learning is the guide of life.}
    Amazon Reviewer

Lvl 2 - Bronze

My only advise would be to save as much as possible lol, it's mega frustrating when you get really far in a dungeon or for a quest then you get killed and realise you haven't saved for over an hour! Lesson learnt the hard way many a time.
    Last edited by pixel; 01-28-2012 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Spelling fail

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Play on the hardest difficulty!

Lvl 7 - Gold

Save often, brother. Trust Doom on this. I've platted just about every Bethseda Soft RPG with Fallout 3 to Skyrim. Abuse the hell outta your auto save. It'll save you a headache in case something happens. Like say game crashing/freezing.
    Doom runs a country, bitch! A nation of slaves! Dig you a grave! I'll make Umbrella look like Welfare, minimum wage! Doom is getting enraged! I come harder! Killed my ex-girlfriend and turned her into a suit of armor! Beat you to death with your legs, leave you in stitches, Marvel 2 is the shit, RE 5 is for bitches!

Sig made by Auburn
    First Latverian to Platinum Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor_Doom View Post
    Save often, brother. Trust Doom on this. I've platted just about every Bethseda Soft RPG with Fallout 3 to Skyrim. Abuse the hell outta your auto save. It'll save you a headache in case something happens. Like say game crashing/freezing.
    The Lord of Latvaria is very correct about the need to save often. HOWEVER, I disagree about the use of Autosaving, which is unfortunately intertwined with the multilayered laggage problems in this game. Accordingly, I'd revise the save suggestions as follows:

* Save MANUALLY, and often {personally, I use about 12 save slots, in hourly rotation, for each character}.

* Turn OFF all autosaving in the game ... some background autosaving (which you can't turn off) will still persist, but there'll be a lot less of it, and doing so helps reduce laggage, game crashing, and the incidence/severity of file corruption that sometimes occurs with the latter.

- Mr. Fantastic
    ΦBK Phi Beta Kappa society motto: "philosophia biou kybernetes" {love of learning is the guide of life.}
    Amazon Reviewer

DON'T BLINK

Don't kill chickens

Bringing the PAIN

Eddie quick question for you... Do you plan to play this game alot or are you just going for the plat fast and then quitting? That will greatly influence my advice to you. Some of these stated are great but they are mostly dependent on my question to you...

Avi by:dsluckay
    Sig by:In2

Lvl 5 - Silver

use the Riverwood shop in the first village & hide in the corner behind the merchant, find a rubber band, use it(watch the EYE icon,make sure it doesnt light up), change the channel, come back in 30 min, if you dont have sneak up nuff, go somewhere else and get it up, and come back. You can use the Riverwood trader dude and get sneak up fast,2-3 hours maybe, boring ? sure, but it helps, just make sure during first few level ups, you continue to level up your BASIC SNEAK SKILL. But all this makes a world of difference on the the whole main game with sneaking, or practice sneaking for 30 hours, your call. I just finished my 1,000 point run on my 360 copy.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Thanks to everybody for the tips. I'm really not sure what I'm doing though so far. I'm doing the Bleak Falls Barrow/Golden Claw quest. I went with the Dark Elf race. I'm using fire in my left hand and a steel war axe in my right hand. I had two perk upgrades and I upgraded sneak once. I still have one left. I'm pretty much just going straight forward. After I went through whiterun I just continued on.

Note that I also want to go for the plat so I don't know what I should do and I shouldn't do. I've only heard about not selling the thieve's guild armor.

The main reason I don't know what's going on is because I don't know what certain terms mean.

On a scale of noobs from 1-10 I'm 20.

Quote Originally Posted by NOFORPAIN View Post
    Eddie quick question for you... Do you plan to play this game alot or are you just going for the plat fast and then quitting? That will greatly influence my advice to you. Some of these stated are great but they are mostly dependent on my question to you...
    Well I plan on enjoying the game. I do want to get the plat though.

------------

@Koimia Thanks for telling me. I was so curious as what would happen if I killed a chicken lol.
    Last edited by Eddie; 01-28-2012 at 04:02 PM.
    Platbar by Wadefan1

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Don't buy a horse. They are rather expensive and you can come across some free ones. Ones you don't even have to steal.

Heavy armor isn't that much better than light armor IMO. Especially in the later hours of the game where you can kill most enemies relatively quick. Light armor is a better starting armor because you can move faster.

If you want to get a dog, I recommend Meeko. He's free and isn't annoying like Barbas. Meeko's shack is southwest of Solitude.

The higher altitude you are, the harder the enemies. Moreover, I've personally never been attacked by a giant, a mammoth or a bear without attacking them first, so you could keep that in mind.

Use your environment to your advantage when fighting dragons. Their fire/ice breath can not go through large rocks, trees or stone pillars.

Favorite your favorite spells/weapons/shouts. This really helps streamline the gameplay.

There are skill books in the game that automatically increase a specific skill by one and you must read 50 of them to get the trophy. If you see a book worth at least 40 gold it's most likely a skill book.

Lvl 5 - Silver

If you plan on plat, follow the guide here in reference to the Daedric artifacts as there are 15 total, BUT , depending on choices made you can miss out on a couple of them. My friend who was not really going for plat, missed a couple & no plat.
    Last edited by I_Nero_I; 01-28-2012 at 06:18 PM.

Bringing the PAIN

If doing it for fun then everything said to you by ISI is very good info. Also the post just above by HyperFerret is all good info.

I would recommend actually using all the types of skills a bit at first. See what fits you.

1)Archery is important no matter your class. Get a good bow and use it with sneak.
    2)Two handed weapons are not that great... but if you want a higher lvl make one at about Lvl 40+ and use it a bit. You can lvl it up FAST at that point.
    3)If your melee or not get a good single handed weapon. Dual wielding them at later lvls is beastly and can quickly kill almost anything. Until then use a shield till your armor is good.
    4)Don't try for the gold so hard. If your mostly in it for fun then it will add up eventually anyways. BUY A HOUSE!
    5)Store ANYTHING you can in your house. All ingredients for alchemy should be kept as well as good potions that increase skills and any special type weapons or armors are smart to keep. As well as all the ingots/ores/dragon bones&scales you can get in there. Make a note of your home and store away EVERYTHING you can it will help later.
    6)I also advise using mainly Light Armor. You may get killed sometimes at the start but later having built up Light armor is better than Heavy as you can move quick and sprint for dang near ever.
    Last edited by NOFORPAIN; 01-28-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Avi by:dsluckay
    Sig by:In2

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by NOFORPAIN View Post
    If 6)I also advise using mainly Light Armor. You may get killed sometimes at the start but later having built up Light armor is better than Heavy as you can move quick and sprint for dang near ever.
    The negative issues with Heavy Armor can be fixed by getting some perks, though, so I wouldn't really worry about it.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I would say enjoy and maybe read the guide about the deadric artificats, so u know which ones you might miss. For me Sneak, Smithing, Enchanting and Alchemy r the most important skills. build potions to improve smithing and enchanting and u can have ultimate weapons and gear for any occasion including summoning Dremora Lords for very little MP.

Join the thieves guild right away so u can get rid of any stolen items and use the autosave to try and pickpocket people right away to get enchanted rings and necklaces. My favorite home is Markarth especially once u unlock the thieves guild contact u will have the least loading time well enchanting, smithing and selling goods. For alchemy combine giant toe, creep cluster and wheat for big bucks. Also learn to make smithing and enchanting potions.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Pick a character you like. Period. Race means nothing as the game progresses unless you want different reactions from people but you won't know they are different until you've played a while so....race pretty much means nothing.

Don't use any perk points until you know for sure how you want to play.

Be on the lookout for Giant's Toe and Wheat. These two ingredients made the most valuable potions which will boost alchemy and get you insane cash.

Find the BANISH enchantment and enchant every cheap A$$ weapon you find with banish and sell it. (Boosts enchanting AND speech F A S T)

Sneak everywhere. (doesn't matter if you get caught and it doesn't matter if you sneak past animals...it all boosts your sneak)

Do Dark Brotherhood missions until you get a particularly rugged animal companion from them. Perform all entry level destruction spells on it and boost your destruction magic. (even if you aren't a mage, you can use the perk points for other things.)

While you are at it, get the bound bow spell and shoot the same animal over and over again (don't kill it though) to boost archery.

Find the soul trap spell....kill any animal and sit there and soul trap it's dead body and boost conjuration.

Here's a twisted one: Learn the Equilibrium spell (alteration) and the Healing spell (restoration). Tie a rubber band around the Healing button first and then tie a rubberband around the Equilibrium button (of your controller) and walk away and drink and live your life. When you get back, alteration and restoration will be amped!!! [note: always activate healing first because equilibrium will kill you]

Now that you have money and some perk points, start making iron daggers to boost your smithing.

Go to the black Briar Meadery in Riften. Behind the counter there will be a dude who tells you how awesome it is to work there. You will be given a persuade option, so persuade him...then he will tell you the truth. Rinse and repeat. Have the conversation-persuade over and over until your speech is ssssssssssssick. (takes about 10 minutes....not kidding)

Enjoy living as a superhero.

ps - both armor and the block skills can be learned by just taking hits and letting people beat on you. The bigger the blow, the more you level. I wouldn't power level this until you are confident in your armor and your ability to say alive because early on, a direct hit from a giant will probably boost you 3 levels but you will die...HARD.

Working through the Final Fantasy X trophy run.

For the record, Lucy Diamond is a movie reference and I'm a guy.

What are you doing right now? thread