Dawnguard Bugs

This is a discussion on Dawnguard Bugs within the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, The forum, part of the E; Just faceplanted into this one ... Quest: A New Order Sub-Quest: Recruit Gunmar [Updated below]...

Lvl 6 - Silver

Dawnguard Bugs

Just faceplanted into this one ...

Quest: A New Order
    Sub-Quest: Recruit Gunmar

[Updated below]
    Last edited by ISI-Society; 05-16-2013 at 04:50 PM.
    ΦBK Phi Beta Kappa society motto: "philosophia biou kybernetes" {love of learning is the guide of life.}
    Amazon Reviewer

Rangers F.C

I just went through the whole thing recently, no problems on my end . Were you able to place items in display cabinets in the houses you built on Hearthfire ?
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Lvl 6 - Silver

I gave up on those a long time ago - I only use chests, barrels, sacks and bookshelves for container storage, and the former 3 are inconsistent in properly coloring stolen items as red.

Still no luck finding Gunmar at this end. Unable to proceed further into Dawnguard as a result. Typical Bethesda - I should have known that Dragonborn was just a temporary mirage of trouble-freeness.
    ΦBK Phi Beta Kappa society motto: "philosophia biou kybernetes" {love of learning is the guide of life.}
    Amazon Reviewer

Lvl 6 - Silver

My updated bug report (sent to Bethesda):

Dawnguard Quest: A New Order (Main Storyline, Quest #4)
    Sub-task: Recruit Gunmar
    SW: 1.9.81.0.3

Problem: Gunmar's location was apparently implemented by the coders as a radiant quest (read: random location). The problem I encountered was that its possible for the radiant logic to place him at a random location OUTSIDE of mainland Skyrim, and when that happens the quest marker for him fails to appear for the player when they acquire it at Dawnguard Castle. I spent several frustrating hours kicking around skyrim, and reverting to earlier saves to no avail, until someone suggested hopping on a ship back to Solsteim (Dragonborn DLC), to see if the randomizer had placed him somewhere there (which it had, in my case).

Recommended Fix: If the radiant quest logic randomly selects a quest location in Solsteim (Dragonborn), a quest marker should be placed on the docks of Windhelm, to help clue the player that they have to leave the mainland. Without said marker, it is difficult for players in mainland Skyrim (Dawnguard) to know how to continue the main storyline.
    I just hunted around the web for a bit, and I seem to be the first person who's encountered this who's correctly tracked down and reported the workaround for this.

So, bottom line ... if you cant find the quest marker for Gunmar, and if you have Dragonborn DLC installed, take a leap of faith and hop ship in Windhelm for Solsteim, and recheck your world map upon arrival. Very unintuitive, but there you have it.
    Amazon Reviewer

Lvl 6 - Silver

Update: ok, I largely finished Dawnguard.

* Definitely more laggy/buggy than Dragonborn. I crashed at least a dozen times playing the former, whereas I only froze once during the latter.

* Except for the main storyline (i.e., Harkon & Auriel's bow), it looks like all of the quests in Dawnguard (assigned by the 3 crafting NPCs) are implemented as "radiant" quests, and therefore any of them could run afoul of the bug I reported above. In my instance, a total of 2 quests wound up requiring me to go to Solsteim without giving a quest marker to there from within mainland skyrim.

* The old rules for dealing with laggage now apply again - make sure you keep at least 10-20% freespace on your console, delete some old saves if you have more than 128 of them, save and reboot if laggage suddenly begins getting nasty, and save no less than once every 2 hours of gameplay.

* Possible Bug: during the quest "Kindred Judgement", I lost the ability to interact with any/all crafting stations while this quest was active ... no alchemy, no enchanting, no smithing, no grindwheel, no armor table, and no construction tables for your hearthfire manions. Completing the quest clears the bug, but nothing else does, so plan/pack accordingly before starting the quest.

Tips for climactic castle assault:

Toggle Spoiler

Easy peasy.
    Amazon Reviewer