Is Skyrim worth playing?

This is a discussion on Is Skyrim worth playing? within the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, The forum, part of the E; I recently bought Dark Souls. I'm not a rpg fan and I didn't know what to expect, but after putting ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Is Skyrim worth playing?

I recently bought Dark Souls. I'm not a rpg fan and I didn't know what to expect, but after putting a lot of hours into the game I realized like the game very much.

My question is, how deep is Skyrim? Will there be a lvl of attributes of every weapon, spell, etc in the game like Dark Souls?

In addition too, there was a article on IGN.com of a person completed the main question in over 2 hours. source: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/120/1200215p1.html

That's concerning because it tells me about the level of difficulty is very low.

Having said that, I'm not knocking off Skyrim--I actually want to play it. But i want to know how in-depth the game with regards of stat tracking, weapons, spells, combat etc?
    Last edited by autumn_xxvii; 10-14-2011 at 12:23 PM.

Lvl 5 - Silver

What do you mean by "someone beat main question in over 2 hours"? The game is released next month...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by S810666 View Post
    What do you mean by "someone beat main question in over 2 hours"? The game is released next month...
    Bethesda have this speed run competition thing between themselves whenever a game is finished. To put things in perspective, Skyrim took an hour longer than Oblivion or Fallout 3, so I wouldn't worry about the games depth. This shows that the main story is much longer than their previous games.

Lvl 6 - Silver

People should read moar articles. Skyrim was completed by DEVELOPERS who knew the game better than anyone else and how to beat it in the shortest time possible, without doing any side quests and wandering around. I do not know if its worth playing because I haven't played it yet and the main reason why is because it isn't even out. Ask when the game is out.

PRO Member

A dev completing Skyrim's main quest in 2 hours is nothing to be concerned about. It took the same guy just over an hour to finish Oblivion. TES is not about the story, the open world is the main focus. Within that is an absolute load of side quests, activities, and other random things you can do such as joining guilds. There are attributes for weapons and you can upgrade weapons, as well your character and also build things such as spells and magic items. The game is going to be extremely expansive and has around 300 hours of content. I would recommend it to anyone.

PSN: CasualStorm
    Steam: CasualStorm
    My Blog: PlayStation Room | Gaming News, Articles & Reports

i am write retartet

Morrowind was way way bigger then Oblivion and people could complete that in under 20 mins. Granted it was frikken rediculous abuse of game mechanics, but thats what speed runs are.

A speed run means nothing, it just shows you know how to abuse the shit out of the game.

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Well here's the thing about should you play Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. I don't know, to be honest.

The game comes out in 3 weeks, and nobody outside of Bethesda has touched the game, played a demo, or seen anything other than gameplay footage that Bethesda has released themselves. Is that a good sign? I would definitely say no, especially considering what a buggy horribly fucked up bug fest Fallout: New Vegas was and the problems that others had with , Bethesda doesn't exactly have the best of track records on releasing games that aren't exactly flawless technical achievements.

I know people are going to point out that this is going to be a completely new engine that the game is built upon, but I am still not entirely convinced. Normally, a triple A title like this would already be in reviewers hands and would feed off the hype of people giving it their early thoughts and opinions. The lack of outside input is a serious red light that this game isn't going to exactly fix the major problems that their previous contributions on this generation of consoles had.

If you are on the fence - like I am at this point - I'd wait until the reviews come out, and read a few of them and if you see comparisons to Fallout: New Vegas being said a lot, I would put off on getting this game right now. I haven't played a TES, or Fallout title from them yet that didn't have me get up repeatedly and have to reset my system - which to me, really sucked a bit of the fun out of my experience.

Until I am sure that this time the developer has taken these past issues seriously - there are way too many other titles coming in the next 4 months that I really care about, from developers who aren't scared to let people play their game until after it's ready to go to print, that have my attention, and have actually treated their consumers to the gifts of their labors with actual game play and experiences that aren't hampered by so many bugs that they become the focus.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Lvl 5 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    Well here's the thing about should you play Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. I don't know, to be honest.

The game comes out in 3 weeks, and nobody outside of Bethesda has touched the game, played a demo, or seen anything other than gameplay footage that Bethesda has released themselves. Is that a good sign? I would definitely say no, especially considering what a buggy horribly fucked up bug fest Fallout: New Vegas was and the problems that others had with , Bethesda doesn't exactly have the best of track records on releasing games that aren't exactly flawless technical achievements.

I know people are going to point out that this is going to be a completely new engine that the game is built upon, but I am still not entirely convinced. Normally, a triple A title like this would already be in reviewers hands and would feed off the hype of people giving it their early thoughts and opinions. The lack of outside input is a serious red light that this game isn't going to exactly fix the major problems that their previous contributions on this generation of consoles had.

If you are on the fence - like I am at this point - I'd wait until the reviews come out, and read a few of them and if you see comparisons to Fallout: New Vegas being said a lot, I would put off on getting this game right now. I haven't played a TES, or Fallout title from them yet that didn't have me get up repeatedly and have to reset my system - which to me, really sucked a bit of the fun out of my experience.

Until I am sure that this time the developer has taken these past issues seriously - there are way too many other titles coming in the next 4 months that I really care about, from developers who aren't scared to let people play their game until after it's ready to go to print, that have my attention, and have actually treated their consumers to the gifts of their labors with actual game play and experiences that aren't hampered by so many bugs that they become the focus.
    1st. Fallout and The Elder Scrolls are 2 RPG's way different though they share the same objective of offering the player an gigantic open world with RPG characteristics, Many sidequests and the liberty of doing whatever you wish.

2nd. Fallout New Vegas was made by Obsidian, and they were forced to use ''Gamebryo'' the same used in Fallout 3 and The Elder Scrolls Oblivion. Though I cant deny the bugs existing in Fallout New Vegas I can recall the new engine done for Skyrim is way better than it's predecesor an Bethesda announced all his following games are going to use the new engine.

3rd. I havent played The Elder Scrolls, some of my friends had and they even told me to play it but 'meh' I'm a hardcore Fallout fan. And I suggest you play any of the fallout series or Elder Scrolls series. You may like it as much as I do.
    PS4: jGezze7
    ''War... War Never Changes...... Men do, through the roads they walk.''

Mr. X

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post

I've played it at the Eurogamer Expo a couple of weeks ago.

The game was very much an even prettier version of Oblivion so I would highly reccomend it. That said nothing can be said for definite until we've had chance to play the full game. It would appear that it is going to be just as deep and engaging.

As for the speed run it's nothing to worry about. That is simply the main quest done by people who know how to exploit it. The game isn't about an immersive story it's about an immersive world.

Finally, as for the bugs. Yes New Vegas and Fallout 3 were riddled with them but the games were so good a lot of people could look past them. I also feel that people often blow them out of porportion. Yes it's annoying when the game freezes but the majority of time I can still through a playthrough without having to get up and switch it off. Skyrim is on a new engine so we're not really going to know how it runs and glitches until the full game drops.

the sea. these earthless catcombs. our tombs they have become.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I am also interested in picking it up some time after release. Sorry, ACR's got priority on my list...
    I'm a bit curious, I watched some videos, mainly the demo and the game does look awesome.
    I do really like open world games, those really open. I did play Gothic 3 and found it entertaining but I can't say I'm a massive fan of RPG element. I'll wait till the game is on the market and see how is it.

Retired on PS3 (since Dec 2013) due to half-broken console and lack of funds and time to fix it.
    Oct 2014 - Dec 2014 - Back on PS3
    Retired on PS3 since Jan 2014 due to original reasons.

Toggle Spoiler

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by autumn_xxvii View Post
    I recently bought Dark Souls. I'm not a rpg fan and I didn't know what to expect, but after putting a lot of hours into the game I realized like the game very much.

My question is, how deep is Skyrim? Will there be a lvl of attributes of every weapon, spell, etc in the game like Dark Souls?

In addition too, there was a article on IGN.com of a person completed the main question in over 2 hours. source: Reckon you can beat Skyrim in 2 hours 16 minutes? - Xbox 360 News at IGN

That's concerning because it tells me about the level of difficulty is very low.

Having said that, I'm not knocking off Skyrim--I actually want to play it. But i want to know how in-depth the game with regards of stat tracking, weapons, spells, combat etc?
    You never played an Elder Scrolls game? WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?! Get Oblivion, it's almost free nowadays, and die of anticipation for SKYRIM

Lvl 7 - Gold

It will absolutely be worth it. While the main quest can be sped through in 2 hours, there will be a ton of side quests and free roam to give hours upon hours of gameplay.

For those who try to relate The Elder Scrolls to Fallout, it's an unfair comparison. While both series have some similarities, they have enough differences with engines and developers that it doesn't have the buggy features of a Fallout game.

If you have a pc that will run it and are not set on just playing on PS3 for trophies, I highly recommend getting the pc version of Skyrim. TES games have a huge modding community that produces better textures, unofficial patches, and tons of additional content for the pc versions. They also run much smoother.

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

Lvl 6 - Silver

I just hope this new engine for Skyrim tgood enough for the next Fallout game not to have as many glitches. I tried Oblivion back in July, I didn't really like it. I guess I'm not into those type of games. I will say though, I have yet to be able to beat New Vegas because everytime I start up the 2nd to last NCR mission it lags so hard that I can't even move but everything else is choppily moving.

Platinum Dohvakiin

Quote Originally Posted by autumn_xxvii View Post

In addition too, there was a article on IGN.com of a person completed the main question in over 2 hours. source: Reckon you can beat Skyrim in 2 hours 16 minutes? - Xbox 360 News at IGN

Well considering that A) You've never played and Elder Scrolls game. And B) Dark Souls is what you are measuring it up to. I would say go pick up Oblivion and play that for a bit. Because frankly speaking. Dark Souls and TES play completely different. You can pick the game up for under $15 in most places. But really liking Dark Souls isn't necessarily going to translate into you liking Skyrim. Or any other RPG for that matter.

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:Lightning Returns:FFXIII, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Call of Duty: AW

Lvl 7 - Gold

I've pre-ordered skyrim and i'm counting the days....

Lvl 5 - Silver

How would we know? We haven't played it yet
    INTERESTED IN YOUTUBE PARTNERSHIP? APPLY NOW!
    https://partner.makerstudios.com/?re...0UU00000048Wmj
    Check out my Videos!