Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Skyrim, so what you think?

This is a discussion on Skyrim, so what you think? within the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, The forum, part of the E; I just brought a house, you get a chest in there then. Was only 5000gold. Also is it me or ...

Lvl 8 - Gold

I just brought a house, you get a chest in there then.

Was only 5000gold.

Also is it me or is it easier to level up in this game compared too Oblivion? And Easier to make money?

Lvl 2 - Bronze

very much so but from wat ive heard you level easy to 50 then it almost quadruples the time to level after afterwards which sounds fair as for money i never had a problem with money in oblivion first stop was thieves guild till i had a decent fence then i just robbed everything in sight

Lvl 5 - Silver

just curious what everyone thinks about the loading times?They seem longer than Oblivion , but that could be 2 reasons for myself , no bar going up to see like Oblivion ,OR playing 6-12 hours straight on my PS3 has hindered my judgement & memory recall.

& I of course know this a game with alotta loading screens, but i just seem to remember Oblivion's as faster ,on both counsoles, maybe i just drank some skooma who knows.

WHO DAT!!!!

the game is just awesome.......its Oblivion squared....wow. trying to play this and MW3 at the same time and there are not enough hours in the day.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by cocoasg View Post
    OUCH, that is scary to hear! I assume those 'dangerous' chests are mostly those in dungeons or other hostile territory, but if my chest in Dragonsreach, which is a safe haven, is one of those... then I guess I had better buy a house soon. The cheapest one is in Windrun, I guess? ^^
    I did the same thing except using a cupboard in the room to the left of the dining table in Dragonsreach. It was not marked as red (steal from) so I put my things in there until I had 5000 gold (prolly 3-4 game days). I didn't lose them but I guess it is a risk.

As an aside, dragon bones are damn heavy

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by I_Nero_I View Post
    just curious what everyone thinks about the loading times?They seem longer than Oblivion , but that could be 2 reasons for myself , no bar going up to see like Oblivion ,OR playing 6-12 hours straight on my PS3 has hindered my judgement & memory recall.

& I of course know this a game with alotta loading screens, but i just seem to remember Oblivion's as faster ,on both counsoles, maybe i just drank some skooma who knows.
    ye i agree they do seem to be many and lenghty but the detail is so much more so its understandable i find that while they are longer they dont draw me away from the game at this point i dont realy notice them anymore

PRO Member

Just started this yesterday and I love it. My top priority is saving up enough gold to buy a house. I'm not very far into the game, i've just left Riverrun and only completed a few minor quests and the one with the golden claw.

PRO Member

Got the game on Friday... Blew probably 25 hours in it over the weekend.

My views on it are pretty simple:

Its a very good game, character progression is brilliant and the environment and deep and begging to be explored. Its also a flawed game that is plagued with many minor bugs that prevent me from really stamping this as Bethesda's magnum opus.

I will say Bethesda is just getting better at making these games, each game is less buggy and more coherent than the previous title. All of them, Skyrim included, just miss a "je ne sais quoi" though. Its something I can't quite put my finger on that keeps these games from really just blowing me away like many other games do.

Definitely should be played though, even with its flaws is a great game.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

PRO Member

I love the favorites option, and like that you can assign one thing to left/right on the d-pad. My only grip is that if for example, I have fireball equipped in my left hand, and heal assigned to left on the d-pad... I equip heal using the shortcut but then can't reapply the previously equipped fireball using the same button. Does that make sense? Basically, I would prefer it if I could use the left (and right) on d-pad to switch back and forth between two weapons/spells/etc

Nope, nothing

Quote Originally Posted by MatCauthon View Post
    I love the favorites option, and like that you can assign one thing to left/right on the d-pad. My only grip is that if for example, I have fireball equipped in my left hand, and heal assigned to left on the d-pad... I equip heal using the shortcut but then can't reapply the previously equipped fireball using the same button. Does that make sense? Basically, I would prefer it if I could use the left (and right) on d-pad to switch back and forth between two weapons/spells/etc
    I have a similar issue with it I think, I just couldn't accurately use that function

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chambers35 View Post
    I have a similar issue with it I think, I just couldn't accurately use that function
    Right, I thought I was doing something wrong but everytime I would press the shortcut button to switchback, I would end up duel-wielding fireball, for example.

Nope, nothing

Right, I thought I was doing something wrong but everytime I would press the shortcut button to switchback, I would end up duel-wielding fireball, for example.
    Yeah same here, or something like that anyway.
    I just don't use it any more

Lvl 10 - Platinum

exactly, the left and right should work better and the favorites menu can get very clogged

havent found any load times to be more than a couple seconds, ive only gone in a few dungeons and a few houses though

Lvl 6 - Silver

I'm loving this game, the companions circle is a nice surprise.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by cocoasg View Post
    I chose to use a chest in Dragonsreach to store all my loot and extras. It is easy to access from the map, and saves me a lot of gold since I do not have to buy a house yet (I bought one and then reloaded before that to get the trophy ). The chest is right next to an Alchemy Lab and an Enchanter Table, so it is quite nice. That being said, I wonder if there are any dangers to using a chest outside of your house whether you have one or not. Hmmm..... ^^
    If I recall in Oblivion, most 'containers' in the game outside of one's purchased properties reset every 72 hours (of gametime, not playtime). I got burned badly by both that, and by the chest overflow bug (which lost me all my transcendant sigil stones and crafting supplies). However, since Skyrim uses an all new engine, we can only hope that chests in 'safe' crafting areas and assigned guild bedrooms are exempt from the periodic auto-purging and bugs that plagued TES4.

I'll give it a try, since getting a house is a lower priority for me at the moment than acquiring spells and artifacts to fill voids in my character balance and efficacy.
    ΦBK Phi Beta Kappa society motto: "philosophia biou kybernetes" {love of learning is the guide of life.}
    Amazon Reviewer

Lvl 6 - Silver

I'm on a PS3 also, and the laggage is annoying at times. It seems worst in town squares with a lot of people wandering around. I'll try to see if there's a pattern and workaround to it.

It always irks me that games focus on play quality, but completely ignore the painful lag and load times for multiple retries. They need to make better use of memory caching.

Hopefully, the PS4 will be designed with massive flash memory, so that retry lag will completely vanish and performance will go way way up.
    ΦBK Phi Beta Kappa society motto: "philosophia biou kybernetes" {love of learning is the guide of life.}
    Amazon Reviewer

Legendary...Nuff Said

Just received the game today, and I only got about an hour and half into it before having to (grudgingly) put it aside in order to get my homework done.

First impressions of the game is that the gameplay is great, but it doesn't feel weighty. Maybe that's because I'm using light armor, but I find it difficult to attack enemies in first-person; or at least more so than in a game such as Dark Souls. Otherwise, I decided to go with a battle mage, and I can say that both the magic and sword combat is stellar and pretty awesome.

My biggest grudge of the game so far is the fact that autosaves are few and far between; I had to repeat a good 10-20 minutes of gameplay because I didn't save the game manually. The game also nearly froze up on me during the very beginning mission, but thankfully it didn't. It's definitely buggy, and the frame rate isn't top-notch either, but thus far I'm loving it.

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    Just received the game today, and I only got about an hour and half into it before having to (grudgingly) put it aside in order to get my homework done.

First impressions of the game is that the gameplay is great, but it doesn't feel weighty. Maybe that's because I'm using light armor, but I find it difficult to attack enemies in first-person; or at least more so than in a game such as Dark Souls. Otherwise, I decided to go with a battle mage, and I can say that both the magic and sword combat is stellar and pretty awesome.

My biggest grudge of the game so far is the fact that autosaves are few and far between; I had to repeat a good 10-20 minutes of gameplay because I didn't save the game manually. The game also nearly froze up on me during the very beginning mission, but thankfully it didn't. It's definitely buggy, and the frame rate isn't top-notch either, but thus far I'm loving it.
    go into system,settings,gameplay & you can put autosave on anywhere from 5 min up to 60 min.

Legendary...Nuff Said

go into system,settings,gameplay & you can put autosave on anywhere from 5 min up to 60 min.
    Really? Well that's awesome! Thanks for the advice.

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I seen alot of my friends own this game they all say really fun game.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast