Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Skyrim, so what you think?

This is a discussion on Skyrim, so what you think? within the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, The forum, part of the E; like it so far only had a few problems. lag issuses and not being able to do shouts or magic ...

PRO Member

like it so far only had a few problems. lag issuses and not being able to do shouts or magic with full bars. oddly the shouts and magic seem to stop working when fighting super tough enemies.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by ISI-Society View Post
    I'm on a PS3 also, and the laggage is annoying at times. It seems worst in town squares with a lot of people wandering around. I'll try to see if there's a pattern and workaround to it.
    WORKAROUND (for PS3): I think the laggage I was experiencing is caused by the game occasionally having several auto-saves that conflict with each other, which can 'complicate' the symptoms if you die and restore from one of them ... especially from an earlier version among several. I've found that when things get very laggy, I can solve the problem by manually saving, and then exiting and restarting the game ... which forces the game to purge all existing autosaves, and start fresh.

It seems to work.
    ΦBK Phi Beta Kappa society motto: "philosophia biou kybernetes" {love of learning is the guide of life.}
    Amazon Reviewer

Game on....

Quote Originally Posted by ISI-Society View Post
    WORKAROUND (for PS3): I think the laggage I was experiencing is caused by the game occasionally having several auto-saves that conflict with each other, which can 'complicate' the symptoms if you die and restore from one of them ... especially from an earlier version among several. I've found that when things get very laggy, I can solve the problem by manually saving, and then exiting and restarting the game ... which forces the game to purge all existing autosaves, and start fresh.

It seems to work.
    So disabling auto-save completely is a good idea or just use auto-save on wait only? I have had one system crash while playing this game in over 20 hours of gaming. It occurred on a loading screen after dying several times. Maybe getting into the habit of using manually saving is a good idea. I have also heard that if when playing the game you experience slowdown, just save, quit and go to the title screen and reload the game.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    So disabling auto-save completely is a good idea or just use auto-save on wait only? I have had one system crash while playing this game in over 20 hours of gaming. It occurred on a loading screen after dying several times. Maybe getting into the habit of using manually saving is a good idea.
    I disabled auto-save for everything except sleeping, and 60 mins auto, and forced myself to get in the habit of saving manually before I do anything potentially dangerous, stupid, irreversible, or after I accomplish (or acquire) something spiffy.

I have also heard that if when playing the game you experience slowdown, just save, quit and go to the title screen and reload the game
    Sounds like I reinvented the wheel. As a former QA and Test Engineer, I tend to do that a lot.
    ΦBK Phi Beta Kappa society motto: "philosophia biou kybernetes" {love of learning is the guide of life.}
    Amazon Reviewer

Lvl 8 - Gold

Yeah when I get horrible slow down I just quit out the game then restart. Goes away then.

PRO Member

It's not just the PS3 thats effected I have a few of these issues happen on the PC version running on Ultra, Crashed to desktop after I died from jumping off a cliff, A few short .5 second lag spikes running through the wilderness but nothing major encountered yet.

On a plus side I managed to kill my 2nd dragon and keep getting my ass handed to be by the bears and the few big cats I've ran into.

Lvl 10 - Platinum

totally overwhelmed by the amount of things to do and the areas i can explore, trying to focus on one thing at a time but it is extremely difficult not getting distracted

PRO Member

Just killed a giant and his mammoth. I was kiting them around but then they just stood there as I plunked arrows into them. I guess they were stuck on pathing but I had shot too many arrows and invested too much time to not finish. The giants drop a lot of stuff. I was lvl 20 at the time.

I have only had one freeze and it was after a save (thankfully). I was putting away my bow and clicked a corpse to loot simultaneously and it froze. So I guess a tip would be to avoid doing that. More Skyrim after work...in an hour...hell yeah

Lvl 4 - Silver

epic. my thought is epic. nothing says it better

Game on....

Quote Originally Posted by babaganoosh08 View Post
    epic. my thought is epic. nothing says it better
    The game is very addictive. I can't stop playing it for more than a few hours

Lvl 5 - Silver

So disabling auto-save completely is a good idea or just use auto-save on wait only? I have had one system crash while playing this game in over 20 hours of gaming. It occurred on a loading screen after dying several times. Maybe getting into the habit of using manually saving is a good idea. I have also heard that if when playing the game you experience slowdown, just save, quit and go to the title screen and reload the game.
    One of my earlier posts i metioned about what seemed like longer load times, and than after last night noticing repeat,and i mean REPEAT fps slowdown on Whiterun,i said ok wtf is going on here,and i googled it up,and it is problem which they say there is a PATCH in the works for the PS3,but most threads i read said the same thing, turn autosave off,do manual saves,dont play more than 3 hours,basically everything which takes away from the immersive fantasy world for which im attempting to get lost into.

Now both counsoles have their own set of problems with it, but for a MASSIVE 300+ hour game like Skyrim the fact that you have a chance of having serious fps issues after 3-4 hours of gameplay is simply put bullshit,and i do hope the patch there talking about fixes that,& im quite sure the reason ive experienced it with my example is the non-stop straight 10-12 hours of play.

This is a problem with the PS3 copy,(im referring to the PS3s frames per second slowdown,screen tearing)which is frustrating but im sure they will patch,i would just like that patch sooner rather than later. my play is on the 250GB slim which is only 2 yrs old,but Oblivion ran smoother on this for real,in actual comparison to Oblivion the only time ive seem similar screen tearing is when i would use the Oblivion arrow/scroll duplication glitch where say 80-120-up to even 200 items would get copied and fly across the screen, the fact Skyrim is even coming close to doing stuff like that by simply entering large towns,yea they need to address this issue fast.Cuz all Skyrims examples are for normal gameplay no duplication glitch or anything.

Of course i love the game,im just suprised to see things like this right away and am only sharing my example with others who may/may not be experienceing something similar,but Bethesda does need to patch this,which they do say one is in the works.

another note ,my save game has 68 hours on it, & i have only seen 1 complete freeze ,where i had to completely on/off my PS3.
    Last edited by I_Nero_I; 11-16-2011 at 06:01 AM.

Threat

I haven't experienced any lag at all, strange.
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

Lvl 5 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by AlecDawesome View Post
    I haven't experienced any lag at all, strange.
    Im sure you mean screen tearing, as lag is actually what you experience with online MP games.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

i get bad fps making everything jumpy and a 2sec delay on talking and menus which is not good when your trying to heal yourself in that last secondbefore dying and the menu wont F**king open -,- also ive had times where ive died and took nearly 10 minutes for the game to load from last save game just flashed red for 10 minutes and ive had 3 complete freezes 2 of them on loading screens this game badly needs a patch to account for this but im very understandable about it i mean its such a big awesome game i think id be a little more worried if there was no problems with the game at all id half expect my ps3 to sponateously combust

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by I_Nero_I View Post
    Im sure you mean screen tearing, as lag is actually what you experience with online MP games.
    Nope, lag can mean anything that fails to "keep up". Doesn't just refer to online gaming.

Game on....

Quote Originally Posted by I_Nero_I View Post
    Most threads i read said the same thing, turn autosave off,do manual saves,dont play more than 3 hours,basically everything which takes away from the immersive fantasy world for which im attempting to get lost into.
    It definitely works and it hasn't bothered me in the slightest. Taking breaks is a good idea anyway..

35+ hours and just one crash on a loading screen which required a soft reset before i turned the auto-save feature off.

Lvl 10 - Platinum

anybody have a problem with how long is takes when switching weapons? i use my bow then switch to sword and shield when they get close but it takes a couple seconds switching so my companion usually kills them by the time im ready to fight close up

Game on....

Quote Originally Posted by ferretbusiness View Post
    anybody have a problem with how long is takes when switching weapons? i use my bow then switch to sword and shield when they get close but it takes a couple seconds switching so my companion usually kills them by the time im ready to fight close up
    Yeah it takes a few seconds. Just fight alone if you want more action

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Yeah it takes a few seconds. Just fight alone if you want more action
    im alright with them helping but its a lag that im not happy about, wish they could speed it up somehow, like a lot of things in bethesda games it should work smoother

Lvl 6 - Silver

freaking love this game. i had started first as a dark elf but, was gettin my ass handed to me left and right, usually by bandit leaders and what not with strong melee hits. so after getting annoyed i switched to orc and its made this game 100x more fun for me. lots of quests and side quests stacking up it gets overwhelming but also a great feeling that theres so much to do! killed about 4 or 5 dragons, which seem to appear at the strangest times, usually while im in a town so they get bombarded with 20 city guards with bows, and if they decide to land even the poor people knife the hell out of it lol. found the sickest looking armor yet, so im excited to get home and start playing again.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast