Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

how many dragons?

This is a discussion on how many dragons? within the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, The forum, part of the E; Killed 23 dragons now 6 of them at winterhold college, is there infinite dragons?...

Lvl 6 - Silver

Killed 23 dragons now 6 of them at winterhold college, is there infinite dragons?

Game on....

I have literally lost count of the amount of dragons i have slaughtered. Those ancient dragons still put up a good challenging fight even at level 54 and 120+ hours in but in the end they meet they're demise.

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by crewe-fox View Post
    Killed 23 dragons now 6 of them at winterhold college, is there infinite dragons?
    yes, they will continually respawn until the end of time

Lvl 6 - Silver

I'm currently 51st level, and I think I'm up to around 41 dragons now. Most of the ones I've been running into lately are Ancients. However, because I've fully maxed my smithing and enchanting abilities, and I'm on my way to maxing my weapon skills, I can usually bait an ancient dragon into stooping on me, and then take it out with 3 dual-power attack flurries (my sword damage is pushing 200 pts per arm, which is kinda ridiculous). I'm playing on Adept.

I repeat my earlier assertion when I started playing at level 1 ... the dragons in this game look awesome, but they are neither big enough, nor tough enough, for my taste. They should up their size, and damage, by at least half.

Case in point: we see hints implying dragons hunt and carry off mammoths, and yet at a mere 40ft long, there's NO WAY they're big enough to get one airborne. The effect would be similar to an eagle trying to carry off a full-grown shetland pony ... it's just not gonna happen.
    Last edited by ISI-Society; 12-05-2011 at 10:13 PM.
    ΦBK Phi Beta Kappa society motto: "philosophia biou kybernetes" {love of learning is the guide of life.}
    Amazon Reviewer

Quartercircle Forward.

Am I the only one who's having trouble killing a dragon? the first one was a piece of cake... The second one tho, was pretty darn strong and whittled my health down really fast (I'm a level 8, with no companions at the moment). Do you just melee them or use spells/let your companion tank them? Oh, and some of the other dragons that appeared just flied around and around, then left

Sigs & Beyond [Requests].
    Want a Sig/Banner/Avatar? Click here!

Giftage
    Thanks Guys! <3

deviantART
    Awesome Sig Gifted by Prosthetic. Epic avatar by Kid420247.

-My Soul Calibur V Match Thread!-

Quartercircle Forward.

Oh and I'm playing on Adept difficulty...

Giftage
    Thanks Guys! <3

deviantART

Nope, nothing

Quote Originally Posted by D1mech View Post
    Am I the only one who's having trouble killing a dragon? the first one was a piece of cake... The second one tho, was pretty darn strong and whittled my health down really fast (I'm a level 8, with no companions at the moment). Do you just melee them or use spells/let your companion tank them? Oh, and some of the other dragons that appeared just flied around and around, then left
    I find a bow is really useful to take them down, might take a while at your level but it's a safer option. Also having some healing spells is always handy

Harvester of Souls

Definitely keep a bunch of health potions/magic potions and some healing spells at your disposal as dragons can tear you a new one very quickly.. especially later on for when they just do fly by fire attacks >:F >:F >:F.. I'll also second the bow advice... HELPS A TON!!!

Final tid-bit.. get a companion lol

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

Quartercircle Forward.

Well, a companion tanking the dragon sounds much much safer, than me taking all the attacks lol

Giftage
    Thanks Guys! <3

deviantART

Lvl 6 - Silver

Am I the only one who's having trouble killing a dragon? the first one was a piece of cake... The second one tho, was pretty darn strong and whittled my health down really fast (I'm a level 8, with no companions at the moment).
    I think I scored my first dragon at around level 7. Some general tips for noobs messing with skyrim dragons (in no particular order):

* Keep in mind that although skyrim dragons are mindless beserkers, they do have excellent eyesight, and above average hearing, so unless your sneak is good, you WILL be seen fairly quickly, unless you're careful to boost your sneaking with cover and additional bonuses. The trick is to spot them before they spot you, and that means LISTEN (there are subtle audible and visible telltales, if you're attentive), know how and where to walk when near their favorite haunts, and use environmental distractions and cover to your advantage.

* If possible, sneak up on them when they're napping (and YES, it is possible, if your sneak is good and you know their favorite spots to nap** ... I do it frequently), and open the fight with a fully maxed arrow (or spell, or shout) up the wazoo (i.e., take perks that boost your bow damage, take the smithing skill and upgrade your bow as much as you can, take the enchanting skill and make a ring, neckace and hood that all boost bow damage, use the best arrows you can afford, and take the sneak perk that gives you 3x bow damage with surprise). Do it right, and you should be able to stick them with a second and possibly a third arrow (or spell) while they struggle for altitude and maneuvering speed. If you can lop off a full third of their HP before the fight even starts, that's a nice handicap in your favor.

* ALTERNATELY, sans surprise, let the dragon work up a sweat mixing it up with some nearby randoms - the distractors (or your follower with a 'wait here' command), can serve as a HP buffer for you while you flank and stick a few arrows into the bugger whenever it pauses to breath/bite the former ... by the time they get sufficiently annoyed with you, you've scored yourself a handicap almost as good as the surprise salvo mentioned earlier.

* Sans surprise, always choose your ground with care before engaging (i.e., give them little or no room for strafing, and force them to hover or land to get at you), and (if you're a spell slinger) prepare the dragon's most likely landing spot with an explosive rune that will detonate when they land on it.

* Once dragons get below 1/4 HP, they tend to land and try to bite you ... a gobsmackingly stupid tactic for a supposedly intelligent winged monster, but that's how Bethesda programmed them. The programmers basically are handing you an 'alley oop' opportunity to land a dramatic finishing move - if your tanking skills are good, your protection bling is high, whip out your favorite chopper and do a rush-down as soon as they land. Posterize the bugger !

After a while, you'll figure out the rest on your own ... those are just the noob basics. Go get em, Tiger.

Edit: I think I'm up to around 50 dragons now. I'm level 53ish, and just increased the difficulty from adept to expert.

--------------------
    ** They like inaccessible mountain tops, high ridges with good visibility and thermals, and especially the ruined high-elevation shines of their deceased former dragon priests. Also, there are some NAMED ancient dragons around that tend to loiter in the vicinity of the spot alduin raised them from the dead ... if you see a perfectly smooth and round shallow crater, like the one in the terminator movies only much much larger, chances are good they're close nearby, and planning to have you for dinner. For random dragons however, look for the telltake skeletons of mammoths, trolls, moose, a blasted appearance to the terrain, and a paucity of undergrowth and snow drifts to hide behind. When they hunt, they particularly like to strafe mammoth, so if you stake out a giant camp, one's bound to swing by fairly soon. They also like to strafe exposed bandit ruins and farms having lots of exposure and little cover.
    Last edited by ISI-Society; 12-09-2011 at 04:25 PM.
    ΦBK Phi Beta Kappa society motto: "philosophia biou kybernetes" {love of learning is the guide of life.}
    Amazon Reviewer

Quartercircle Forward.

Thanks ISI... I think the problem was me not having a companion with me... It's different when they take most of the damage and you can easily unload a sh*tload of offensive abilities on the flying reptile. Thanks for the tips man.

Giftage
    Thanks Guys! <3

deviantART

Real Life Alchemist

Level 18 played for like 20hours killed 1 extra dragon that I just randomy saw! And it was beeing pummeled by mammoths! So I just had to strike it once with my greatsword and BOOM dead!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234