Companions Questline Glitch

This is a discussion on Companions Questline Glitch within the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, The forum, part of the E; I didn't know where else to put this as there was a warning of posts on the trophy guide resulting ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Companions Questline Glitch

I didn't know where else to put this as there was a warning of posts on the trophy guide resulting in infractions, but I wanted to put this somewhere so most people can see it. The glitch happens on the quest "Blood's Honor".

Spoilers Ahead

After you return from taking the head of one of the witches back to the Jorrvaskr, you'll find out that the Silver Hand has attacked and killed Kodlak. After Vikas speaks to you, the quest ends, and this is where the quest "Purity of Revenge" should start. If it has glitched, it won't start, and the characters will continue to mourn. The reason for the glitch seems to be having another misc. quest activated for where "Purity of Revenge" takes place, Driftshade Refuge. The quest is one for the Jarl of Winterhold, to get back the crown of winterhold. I myself lost a couple hours of play time, but I hope to ensure people don't lose any. Just make sure you have completed the quest or even better, not even started it. If you are like me and had to reload, I completed the quest and didn't kill anyone just to be safe, and then started the "Blood's honor" quest immediately after, and it worked just fine, got the final trophy in the questline to pop. Hope this helps.

Player Hater

So if I haven't done the Purity of Revenge quest, but I'm up to the Blood's Honour quest, should I start and finish Purity first, or wait until after I've done Blood's Honour?

Lvl 1 - Bronze

As long as you don't have that active quest given to you by the Jarl of Winterhold to look for the crown you should be good. That's the real issue. The glitch is caused by having the misc winterhold crown quest unfinished at the conclusion of Bloods honor, when you go back to the jorrvaskr. Just double check yourself under your miscellaneous quests.

Player Hater

No worries. Cheers, mate. I have kept about 4 different save files just in case of glitches anyway lol.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I was having the same problem with Purity of Revenge not activating. The only quest from the Jarl of Winterhold I've seen is the one where he sends you to find the Helm. Is there one where you need to find a crown? I've finished all the quests from Winterhold from the Jarl and it still doesn't fix Purity of Revenge activating. Has anyone else found a fix for this glitch?

*edit* I think I found the solution. I come to the conclusion that I'd already cleared Drift Shade Refuge, which is where Purity of Revenge takes place. Thanks to sp34kl337 in the gamespot forums, he suggested that waiting 30 in game days will reset that location. I'll do a few quests and wait and see if what was said is true.
    Last edited by Spiritgod; 11-20-2011 at 02:29 PM.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritgod View Post
    *edit* I think I found the solution. I come to the conclusion that I'd already cleared Drift Shade Refuge, which is where Purity of Revenge takes place. Thanks to sp34kl337 in the gamespot forums, he suggested that waiting 30 in game days will reset that location. I'll do a few quests and wait and see if what was said is true.
    I did this exact thing, I cleared the Refuge because it was on the way from Dawnstar to another keep (I forget the name) I had to go to to assassinate a Silver Hand Leader in another quest given to me by Aela.

Can you confirm if waiting 30 days in game will allow the refuge to respawn and trigger the Purity of Revenge quest to start?

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Bump, any updates?

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Use online storage save file!

Hey guys, I've been stuck trying to find a way to get the quest to come up, even going back and completing the "Helm of Winterhold" and waiting 30 in-game days with no luck.

Then it dawned on me to check my Online Storage saves to see if there were any before the glitch. Turns out there were, all I had to do was copy which save to use and after 10-15 minutes i was able to load it.

I'm just now starting to redo the quest by getting the Helm of Winterhold then continuing onto "Blood's Honor". I'm not sure if the glitch will come up again after I've done all of this but I will post here again to let you all know what happens.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou Billy View Post
    Hey guys, I've been stuck trying to find a way to get the quest to come up, even going back and completing the "Helm of Winterhold" and waiting 30 in-game days with no luck.

Then it dawned on me to check my Online Storage saves to see if there were any before the glitch. Turns out there were, all I had to do was copy which save to use and after 10-15 minutes i was able to load it.

I'm just now starting to redo the quest by getting the Helm of Winterhold then continuing onto "Blood's Honor". I'm not sure if the glitch will come up again after I've done all of this but I will post here again to let you all know what happens.
    Got it! Did everything above and the quest initiated without a hitch. This might be the only way to get past this glitch without having a console like the PC version but it all worked out fine in the end.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I unfortunately dont have any saves. I recently rechecked Driftshade Refuge and it has respawned. But Vilkas still wont give me the quest. He and Farkas still give me sidequests though.

So it looks like my companions are screwed :/

Lvl 1 - Bronze

what if you are unable to give back the helm because the former earl is now living in windhelm due to the outcome of the civil war? he wont talk to me so i cant give him the helmet.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

REALLY i lost 2 hours of game time trying to figure out what happend and all it is just one dumb quest

KCCO!

I encountered this troublesome glitch earlier. It should ptobably be included in the guide as a precaution. It causes the last "Companions" trophy to be missable.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

This glitch has actually been fixed in one of the recent updates and I was finally able to continue the Questline! Horray!

KCCO!

Quote Originally Posted by Nekr0n View Post
    This glitch has actually been fixed in one of the recent updates and I was finally able to continue the Questline! Horray!
    Really? I still had the Helm of Winterhold quest active, finished Blood's Honor and the subsequent quest wouldn't trigger for me. I'm pretty certain I'm up-to-date on the patches.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Hitmanchan View Post
    Really? I still had the Helm of Winterhold quest active, finished Blood's Honor and the subsequent quest wouldn't trigger for me. I'm pretty certain I'm up-to-date on the patches.
    That sucks. But with me, the quest was broken because of a different reason (ie, I visited and cleared Driftshade Refuge before receiving the quest).
    FYI, this was fixed for me in Update 1.5

UPDATE 1.5
    NEW FEATURES
    • New cinematic kill cameras for projectile weapons and spells
    • New kill moves and animations for melee weapons
    • Smithing skill increases now factor in the created item’s value
    • Improved visual transition when going underwater
    • Improved distance LOD transition for snowy landscapes
    BUG FIXES
    • General crash fixes and memory optimizations
    • Fixed issue with Deflect Arrows perk not calculating properly
    • In “A Cornered Rat,” the death of certain NPCs no longer blocks progression
    • Fixed issue where Farkas would not give Companion’s quests properly

KCCO!

Quote Originally Posted by Nekr0n View Post
    That sucks. But with me, the quest was broken because of a different reason (ie, I visited and cleared Driftshade Refuge before receiving the quest).
    FYI, this was fixed for me in Update 1.5

UPDATE 1.5
    NEW FEATURES
    • New cinematic kill cameras for projectile weapons and spells
    • New kill moves and animations for melee weapons
    • Smithing skill increases now factor in the created item’s value
    • Improved visual transition when going underwater
    • Improved distance LOD transition for snowy landscapes
    BUG FIXES
    • General crash fixes and memory optimizations
    • Fixed issue with Deflect Arrows perk not calculating properly
    • In “A Cornered Rat,” the death of certain NPCs no longer blocks progression
    • Fixed issue where Farkas would not give Companion’s quests properly
    Well, that was an issue too...clearing the dungeon before the quests were given.

As far as the patch goes, I don't know what's going on. All I know is I finished the previous companions quest and Purity of Revenge wouldn't trigger. Either way, luckily I still had a previou save and I have since moved on to the final Companions quest. All is well.

PRO Member

Unfortunately, this glitch is alive and well in 2013.

I also had the Helm of Winterhold quest active at the same time that "Purity of Revenge" was supposed to trigger, and it stalled out during the aftermath of the Silver Hand attack. Since I did not read the articles in time, I went ahead and completed the Helm quest. I did wait over 40 days for the Silver Hands to respawn at Driftshade, but it still will not load.

I don't have a save from that far back, as I am pretty much near the end of the game, having saved this questline for last out of the main faction quests. If it doesn't load by the time I finish the main quest, just have to do a speed run on a new game.

For everyone who is looking at this after I post, and hasn't gotten this far, please remember to save often, save separate. Also, to complete this quest, either complete the Helm request for the Jarl well ahead of the Companions questline, or better yet, don't even talk to the Jarl in Winterhold, as you cannot have these two quests active at the same time.

Best of luck!

******Major Update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*****************

I'm editing this post because this glitch ironed itself out for me. Whether it was a combination of me doing some radiant side quests, or the amount of time that passed from me completing the Helm of Winterhold misc. quest, Purity of Revenge finally popped.

I completed five radiant quests, and the amount of game time that passed was exactly sixty days. To be on the safe side, don't launch into the Helm of Winterhold quest given by the Jarl of Winterhold. If you do have this misc. quest, then try to complete it before you launch the Companions Quest "Blood's Honor".

If by chance, you have both of these active, and your game stalls at the end of "Blood's Honor", then do not think all is lost. Let some days pass in the game, and come back to this after a good amount of time has passed (sixty days for me, to be exact). Good luck to one and all!
    Last edited by Goal; 02-02-2013 at 08:53 PM.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." - Mark Twain