Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Lag in Skyrim due to increasing save files sizes

This is a discussion on Lag in Skyrim due to increasing save files sizes within the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, The forum, part of the E; Any people here that are technical enough to know why the size of the save files actually causes the game ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Any people here that are technical enough to know why the size of the save files actually causes the game to lag? Surely the save file, containing the information regarding location, character, current quests, all that shit, is loaded, then boom, you are back in skyrim free to run around? Perhaps it's because the radiant story system has to dip into the save file for information? I'm quite curious about it. And the time is weird like it kicks in after 3 hours
    "Ah, the Internet. Where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents."

Lvl 6 - Silver

im not even at a meg yet and i get lag after 3+ hours lol, forces me to do a reset.

INTJ

I moved all my saves to a USB drive so i can keep them to whatever computer i have (Bethdesta didn't add cloud save storage on steamworks for some reason)

all i had was 12 files, nothing much, but all the saves took 103MBs of space.

seriously what the fuck.

дурак

I haven't had that much trouble at all. I get lag every once and a while, but nothing that serious.
    Blank Friend Requests will be ignored and/or blocked
    My Checklist | My Trading Thread | My Youtube Channel
    "The oldest and strongest of emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown"

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I've had some lag and a few freezes and restarting the system has alleviated the problem. Around 6 to 7 megs right now.

I got this game due to Morrowind and Oblivion, had some freeze issues in Oblivion but not lag.

Attempted to play Fallout NV twice. Originally on XBox when it first came out and had to give up before I completed the game and again on PS3 just last month, thinking it would of been patched by then. Wasted money on their DLC to find out they didn't fix the game breaking lag due to file size. Fallout NV became unplayable around 11mb. If Skyrim does the same then I'm going to have to give up on Bethesda. They can make addictive and creative games but always ends up disappointing.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Haven't notced any significant lag. A little bit every now and then but nothing game breaking. Sucks though, hope they'll fix it soon.

PRO Member

There seemed to be alot of this in Fallout 3, and New Vegas, so really, I'm not surprised at all.

Lvl 5 - Silver

my save file is 11 mb, & i pretty much have to turn off PS3 after 2-3 hours every time, as it becomes unplayable, add to that the Dampened Quests bug from the thieves guild, this patch isnt needed sometime after Thanksgiving ,its needed NOW.(wont change when we get it of course)

I have never experienced to the degree ive seen, the lag gameplay from Oblivion,FO3, or FONV,on both PS3 & 360 , as I have with PS3s version of Skyrim, frustrating for a game I love ,.......when it works.

The good thing is Bethesdas statement about a patch for all counsoles, I was lucky on my PS3s Oblivion GOTY i had no problems, but to my knowledge they had many patches for the 360 version, but not ONE patch for the problems on the PS3 version, so they cant get out of this one, like they did with Oblivion.

Lvl 9 - Gold

I don't know. I never had any lag in Oblivion or Fallout 3, on either the 360 or the PS3, even when my save files got over 10MB. What did get me with Fallout 3 was when I bought the GotY version and tried playing it, it would freeze up on me after 5-10 minutes of play. Finally realized I still had the Game Data installed from the original release. After I deleted that, I didn't have any other issues. And Fallout: New Vegas was Obsidian, not Bethesda, so you can't blame them for that.
    I guess I'm sort of curious not only about what type of system that is being used by players experiencing this problem, but how much free space they have on their HDDs, as well.

Lvl 4 - Silver

yea...my save file has just finally hit 10 MB...the lag is getting really annoying!

My - God of War, God of War II, God of War III, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Shadow of Mordor, The Last of Us

Nope, nothing

Just a heads up to everyone, Bethesda are working on a patch for all systems that should fix a few issues with the game

PRO Member

I just started hitting some lag last night for the first time. It wasn't too bad, but only seemed to happen when I fast travelled to Whiterun, and only when I was in Whiterun.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chambers35 View Post
    Just a heads up to everyone, Bethesda are working on a patch for all systems that should fix a few issues with the game
    Any idea on when the patch will be released? Probably no hope for it to be out before Thanksgiving, when I plan on dedicating four full days to Skyrim fun.

Nope, nothing

Quote Originally Posted by MatCauthon View Post
    Any idea on when the patch will be released? Probably no hope for it to be out before Thanksgiving, when I plan on dedicating four full days to Skyrim fun.
    The week after Thanksgiving I do believe sir.

Lvl 10 - Platinum

lagging not bad so far, just started happening to me recently, still only one freeze in over thirty hours, that's damn good for a bethesda game

Game on....

Quote Originally Posted by ferretbusiness View Post
    lagging not bad so far, just started happening to me recently, still only one freeze in over thirty hours, that's damn good for a bethesda game
    I agree!! 60+ Hours and just one crash for me

Also i would just like to point out that i have read about various different temporary solutions to this framerate issue with Skyrim and i have tested something new which nobody has mentioned yet. Basically all you do is go to Options > Audio and move the music option slider all the way to the left which will stop any music playing. I have noticed an improvement in the framerate!!

PRO Member

In a days worth of gaming (10 hours or so) I can hit anywhere from 2-6 crashes to desktop. Now its not really that much of a problem with all the auto saves the game has but does start to get annoying, this seems to happen more when i "rest/sleep" and when the game doesn't load the textures for many objects.

On the plus side as a PC gamer there is no lagat all for me but I do hope they get this sorted for you guys pretty quickish.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I have had a lagging issue and tbh the game is that great I dont really mind!

I have not had it freeze on me yet but there is still time I will try some of the solutions out there to get the lag to a minimal but lets hope the patch comes soon

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    I agree!! 60+ Hours and just one crash for me

Also i would just like to point out that i have read about various different temporary solutions to this framerate issue with Skyrim and i have tested something new which nobody has mentioned yet. Basically all you do is go to Options > Audio and move the music option slider all the way to the left which will stop any music playing. I have noticed an improvement in the framerate!!
    gotta have the epic music when i get a level or kill a dragon though

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Fallout 3 and New Vegas have this same problem. They never got patched for it...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast