Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Lag in Skyrim due to increasing save files sizes

This is a discussion on Lag in Skyrim due to increasing save files sizes within the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, The forum, part of the E; hmm same problem as fallout new vegas...

Lvl 7 - Gold

hmm same problem as fallout new vegas

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Chambers35 View Post
    Just a heads up to everyone, Bethesda are working on a patch for all systems that should fix a few issues with the game
    Confirmed {per Bethesda's announcement on their own official Skyrim forum}.

It's supposedly coming out sometime next week, shortly after the Thanksgiving holiday, on all platforms. No word yet on what fixes are included besides the two biggies that everyone's abuzz about - the big graphics issue with the 360 and the snowballing lag issue on the PS3.

It'll be nice to see Bethesda not shafting their PS3 customers for a change. Imagine that ... PS3 customers actually receiving a patch for buggy software. Wow, what a concept, and a nice surprise.

Forgive the Bethesda-directed sarcasm, but I used to do that for a living (e.g., administer a software version control platform), and it really gets my goat when companies repeatedly faceplant on product integrity and customer support. They have a lot of damaged rep to overcome in that regard, courtesy of Oblivion, et al.

p.s. My savefiles are almost 9mb now, and I'm having to restart almost every hour (it used to be every 2-3 hours). The PS3 desperately needs an integrated flash memory capability, so that games like this can dial back on excessive drive accessing.
    Last edited by ISI-Society; 11-22-2011 at 07:29 AM.
    ΦBK Phi Beta Kappa society motto: "philosophia biou kybernetes" {love of learning is the guide of life.}
    Amazon Reviewer

PRO Member

skyrim lags pretty bad on me sometimes, but ive never had it freeze on me. the FO games froze on me left and right. thats why i cant get the plat in FO:NV i can get about 1hr of play in before it completely locks up and thats if im lucky!!

Lvl 6 - Silver

My save files just passed 9mb threshold. I tried whittling away the number of open active quests and errands, and it didn't reduce that number. I'm guessing that besides poor auto-save management, there's probably a bad data structure somewhere that's growing endlessly ... perhaps the player's possession inventory is never releasing memory as items are sold off or dropped ? Who knows.
    ΦBK Phi Beta Kappa society motto: "philosophia biou kybernetes" {love of learning is the guide of life.}
    Amazon Reviewer

Lvl 6 - Silver

Starting to get some serious lag now, Besthida best fix this up soon

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I haven't even reached 1mb and I'm already experiencing this lag when I exit a building into Skyrim, but it is only for about a minute then it goes back to normal.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by ISI-Society View Post
    My save files just passed 9mb threshold. I tried whittling away the number of open active quests and errands, and it didn't reduce that number. I'm guessing that besides poor auto-save management, there's probably a bad data structure somewhere that's growing endlessly ... perhaps the player's possession inventory is never releasing memory as items are sold off or dropped ? Who knows.
    Just think of how every location you ventured are "discovered". The game always updates your Local Map, so to speak, in every dungeon or pretty much anywhere you've been to. It always saves these little details you normally don't think about. Books you've read, people you talk to, and so on. I'm guessing those adds up to the gave save's file size every time. Everything that's happened in the game's universe is remembered.

Most other games don't care about it. In games like shooter/adventure, you don't need these details as they're saving only the important bits, such as how many coins you've collected, levels you commpleted, etc. but when you go replay some dungeons, the enemies would spawn at the same exact spot. Unlike those games, Bethesda is dealing with a big time compression and perhaps 10MB file save isn't that much if you think about it. It's also possible that PS3 does things differently and doesn't have as much freedom as a PC. The lag is still an issue so I hope the impending patch will really fix it.

My save file is now 8182K with 48 hours in it. The lags are definitely there now until I restart the game.

my latest anime updates

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Allright, I've started to notice this more and more. Quite annoying when the worst laf spikes hit. Doesn't happen during combat, but still annoying. Good to hear they're working on a patch though.

Huge Gaming Backlog

Quote Originally Posted by ISI-Society View Post
    I was going to say it might be because of a large inventory.
    I know in Oblivion I never had lag issues that were this bad. The amount of gear that I had saved in houses was ridiculous. I had multiples of every item in the game stored away and still had no lag. It did freeze once in a while but not enough to be annoying.

Wicked Slipknot Sig and Avy by Shadow Guru: Kid420247

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Just had this affecting me.

Luckily its not too bad at the mo but from what im hearing its only going to get worse.

Harvester of Souls

My save file size is over 10 MB and it's not bad at all for me with lag. It freezes up after I play for long while, but only issue and I save constantly so haven't lost any data. Is this affecting EVERYONE or just some ppl.... curious if I should be looking out for anything major coming.

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

Nope, nothing

My file is 12MB now I think and I definitely do get lag after about 2 hours, it's easy to just quit and come back on but it's definitely an inconvenience

Hopefully this patch we are waiting for will sort it out, not sure how it will do that like

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Has anyone tried the new patch?

Is there still a lag in gameplay?

Game on....

Quote Originally Posted by Chambers35 View Post
    My file is 12MB now I think and I definitely do get lag after about 2 hours, it's easy to just quit and come back on but it's definitely an inconvenience

Hopefully this patch we are waiting for will sort it out, not sure how it will do that like
    I am in the same situation. The patch has a stability fix for extended playtime on the PS3 so hopefully this minor problem will be corrected so i can continue my adventures in Skyrim and play as long as i like.

Lvl 4 - Silver

when will the patch be released on the PSN?

My - God of War, God of War II, God of War III, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Shadow of Mordor, The Last of Us

Nope, nothing

Quote Originally Posted by TingTingPanda View Post
    You will get the chance to download it when you start up the game

Lvl 1 - Bronze

i'm on about 159 hours play and my save file is 17MB. i found ways of keeping it down but not by much. if you wait for a total of 72 hours inside your own house it completely refreshes the game e.g. chests respawn bodies disappear etc. Also restarting your ps3 is overkill in my opinion, i found it helped by creating a new save file (not over an exsisting one) quitting skyrim and deleting all other unused save files (just to make it less confusing) once that is done i simply start up skyrim again and the lag is gone for a couple of hours. I did notice that when i carried more items in my characters inventory it seemed to lag a lot more than when i only carried the items i couldnt go without. Some of my ideas may seem really obvious but hopefully its a bit helpful to anyone at all.

PRO Member

I can see how that could be annoying if you are really into this game/addicted to this game, but you know atleast they're working on a patch, until then just don't play the game is what I would do because to keep reloading I think would take away from the experience and may ruin the story for you.

Youtube.Com/Kc1597
    Signature By Djunglist (Sigs and Beyond)

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by TingTingPanda View Post
    It will be sometime this week. Bethesda hasn't said a set date.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac795 View Post
    i'm on about 159 hours play and my save file is 17MB. i found ways of keeping it down but not by much. if you wait for a total of 72 hours inside your own house it completely refreshes the game e.g. chests respawn bodies disappear etc. Also restarting your ps3 is overkill in my opinion, i found it helped by creating a new save file (not over an exsisting one) quitting skyrim and deleting all other unused save files (just to make it less confusing) once that is done i simply start up skyrim again and the lag is gone for a couple of hours. I did notice that when i carried more items in my characters inventory it seemed to lag a lot more than when i only carried the items i couldnt go without. Some of my ideas may seem really obvious but hopefully its a bit helpful to anyone at all.
    yep, at the end of my intense skyrim gaming session, i would quit the game and go into your PS3 game save utility and delete all the auto saves and keep your main manual save file. that should save up some space

My - God of War, God of War II, God of War III, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Shadow of Mordor, The Last of Us

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast