Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Lag in Skyrim due to increasing save files sizes

This is a discussion on Lag in Skyrim due to increasing save files sizes within the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, The forum, part of the E; I've got a 13mb save file and it's starting to get a little bit annoying, I was just on the ...

Nope, nothing

I've got a 13mb save file and it's starting to get a little bit annoying, I was just on the game for about 30 minutes and it got unplayable.
    I'm going to try the stuff Zodiac said to help get rid of the lag so I hope that works

Roll on patch day!

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

I have just finished the platinum, and here is my experience so far:

My latest save file is 13 MB. I managed two separate games with 5 save files each, to tackle a missed trophy here and there. However much, I had been experiencing framerate lag throughout every 2-3 hours once the save files exceeded 6-7 MB but every time, I simply quit the game and restarted it.

It did not bother me too much, and in my estimate, 70-80% of the game still ran smoothly enough, especially during battles. It is only in big cities, like Whiterun, that the lag is often noticeable. Most frequently, the lag often happened if you waited many times, by pressing Select, in a single location.

Now, I can pinpoint this problem, based on current reports around the Internet, to Skyrim being unable to flush the PS3's RAM properly, as a result of poor programming by Bethesda. So until the patch fixes this, or not, simply exit your game once lag happens and restart it from the XMB, giving you another 2-3 hours to go. Have fun! =3

PS: Please disable all your autosave options, EXCEPT for 'Autosave on Travel'. That way, the game will only autosave upon entering a new place or fast-travelling to a location, making better use of your limited 3 autosave slots, and also minimizing the framelag issues.
    | Avatar by In2 | | Sig by Athena |

Nope, nothing

Quote Originally Posted by cocoasg View Post
    I have just finished the platinum, and here is my experience so far:

My latest save file is 13 MB. I managed two separate games with 5 save files each, to tackle a missed trophy here and there. However much, I had been experiencing framerate lag throughout every 2-3 hours once the save files exceeded 6-7 MB but every time, I simply quit the game and restarted it.

It did not bother me too much, and in my estimate, 70-80% of the game still ran smoothly enough, especially during battles. It is only in big cities, like Whiterun, that the lag is often noticeable. Most frequently, the lag often happened if you waited many times, by pressing Select, in a single location.

Now, I can pinpoint this problem, based on current reports around the Internet, to Skyrim being unable to flush the PS3's RAM properly, as a result of poor programming by Bethesda. So until the patch fixes this, or not, simply exit your game once lag happens and restart it from the XMB, giving you another 2-3 hours to go. Have fun! =3

PS: Please disable all your autosave options, EXCEPT for 'Autosave on Travel'. That way, the game will only autosave upon entering a new place or fast-travelling to a location, making better use of your limited 3 autosave slots, and also minimizing the framelag issues.
    First off, congratulations on the platinum How many hours?

I seem to be getting lag while just wondering around Skyrim, not even in cities. It does kinda suck that Bethesa didn't test the game out correctly but hopefully the patch will sort it out, finigers crossed!

I will try that with the autosave features, thanks buddy.

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

Quote Originally Posted by Chambers35 View Post
    First off, congratulations on the platinum How many hours?

I seem to be getting lag while just wondering around Skyrim, not even in cities. It does kinda suck that Bethesa didn't test the game out correctly but hopefully the patch will sort it out, finigers crossed!

I will try that with the autosave features, thanks buddy.
    My total time was 150+ hours, with an extra 10-20 hours on my second game to tackle the missed 'One with the Shadows' and 'Oblivion Walker' trophies. Obviously a lot of sleepless weekends and some weekdays, hoho. I estimate you can actually pull off the platinum in less than 100 hours, as long as you do not spend too much time experimenting around with Smithing, messing around with your chest inventory and doing most of the side-quests as possible. That was what I did and got all those extra hours clocked in. *shrug*

Actually, I also got occasional framerate lag while walking around the world of Skyrim too but I just continued on; if the lag got too much, I just exited the game and restarted it. It is just best to grit your teeth and persevere throughout it all, until the patch, that is. =3
    | Avatar by In2 | | Sig by Athena |

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by cocoasg View Post
    So until the patch fixes this, or not, simply exit your game once lag happens and restart it from the XMB, giving you another 2-3 hours to go. Have fun! =3
    Not really a conventional method for everyone. I've noticed for a lot of people, the time between bearable and unbearable varies from person to person. I've seen reports of the game becoming unbearable in around 20 minutes for some. The time between the unbearable decreases as your save file gets larger and larger.

My suggestion to those with concerns is that you complete all of the time consuming trophies that you are already working on, such as fully restoring the thieves guild, collecting 15 Daedric artifacts etc. Most of the other trophies can be earned by starting a new game, completing the first quest, and then continuing on, it's one of the many advantages of Bethesda's "do with it what you want" attitude towards TES.

If your game is starting to slow down after a few hours play, then just do what cocoasg said. If your game has gotten really bad, be prepared to do this every 20 minutes.

PSN: CasualStorm
    Steam: CasualStorm
    My Blog: PlayStation Room | Gaming News, Articles & Reports

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Hope it gets fixed soon as well becuase i'm only getting maybe 3 missions finished at a time then I have to go through the hell of trying to save then turn it off and back on.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234