Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Lag in Skyrim due to increasing save files sizes

This is a discussion on Lag in Skyrim due to increasing save files sizes within the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, The forum, part of the E; So apparently the issue of the game lagging is due to the increasing save files according to Playstation Magazine . ...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Lag in Skyrim due to increasing save files sizes

So apparently the issue of the game lagging is due to the increasing save files according to Playstation Magazine. Worst still, it appears to be an issue only occurring with the PS3.

Believe it or not, there’s apparently a more terrifying prospect in the vast tundra of Skyrim than getting trampled by Woolly Mammoth or having your face liquefied by a Frostbite Spider. A fate worse than arachnid mug-melting allegedly springs up if your save file exceeds over 5-6MB on your PS3’s hard-drive, which, according to many gamers on Bethesda’s forums, results in crippling lag.
    I've played Skyrim for around 35 hours so far and my current save is sitting at nearly 9 megs. I'm also finding the issue of lag to be crippling at times especially after I've played for more than 3 hours straight. Even turning off auto saving and reminding myself to manually save upon entering a town/cave etc the results still play out the same 2-3 hours of enjoyable game play and questing then game breaking lag.

Ex OPM UK Editor Tim Clark is just one Elder Scrolls enthusiast whose dragon-slaying shenanigans have been temporarily banjaxed by these laggy woes. “I first started encountering serious lag at around the 25-hour mark, and since then it’s been the same: I boot up, play for an hour or so, then the frame rate gets choppier until I ultimately need to restart the PS3. I’d actually already noticed that the file was creeping up in size every time I saved”, says Tim.
    Is anyone lucky enough not to have this irritating issue?

I just hope they develop a patch for it shortly, because restarting the game over and over is starting to take away from the engaging experience that is Skyrim.

Nope, nothing

Yeah this happens to be after about 3 hours of playing, not a big deal just a slight inconvenience.

Bethesda are aware of this bug though and are working on a new patch for all systems

Lvl 5 - Silver

yes it happens to me, & yes they need to patch it , it really makes you wonder how many hours went into testing the game on a PS3 counsole?

Apparantly it should have been more for it to still be a common problem with alot of players.

Some quests no problem ,simple, fast....Other quests have 5-6 parts if not more that if you get amped about finishing can go well into a 3 hour mark, so 1 quest than turn it off? yea patch needed.

Vive La Révelation!

Yeah Fallout: New Vegas lagged even after the new patches.
    Avy & Signature by the Legend, Bladia.

member since Oct 2009

This seems like classic Bethesda programing. Looks like they can't escape thier fate in making a problem free game. Still, I will be getting this a some point and hope this issue gets worked out. I would hate for this game to turn into another FO:NV.

Bringing the PAIN

Damn... First bad news and it is BAD. I wanna go get this tomorrow and this is first thing to sway me...

Avi by:dsluckay
    Sig by:In2

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

ive never heard of save files causing lag. hopefully bethesda fixes this soon

Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser

Lvl 5 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by fillabong View Post
    This seems like classic Bethesda programing. Looks like they can't escape thier fate in making a problem free game. Still, I will be getting this a some point and hope this issue gets worked out. I would hate for this game to turn into another FO:NV.
    Just my example here ,but FONV was a lot worse than Skyrim for me, that froze buku times , whereas Skyrim only once in 60 hours of gameplay, the screen tearing is more common in Skyrim for me, but FONV froze way more.

Lvl 10 - Platinum

i had only one freeze so far, had a lot more problems with both fallout games than either oblivion or skyrim

PRO Member

I hope the fix this soon. only getting in about 1 to 2 hours before I get the lag. save file is at 15mb for any one thats not that high yet if you think the lag is bad at 9, 15 is worst

PRO Member

I like how I predicted this with Fallout 3's save files... Bethesda should hire me because I seem to have more foresight than them.

At the end of the day I don't care what anybody's argument is: 7+ MB save files are UNNECESSARY! Plenty of games with giant universes don't have save files this big. Bethesda needs to figure out a better way of doing this.

Whats worse is I'm starting to think there is cross play or some sort going on in the saves, my second character is only about 1/20th the way through the game and his save file is almost the same size as my character who is level 35 and has about 50% of the map explored.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Lvl 8 - Gold

what i dont understand is how video games that are released with tons of bugs and glitches can get perfect review scores,and why do gamers put up with this shit.

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyblitzed View Post
    what i dont understand is how video games that are released with tons of bugs and glitches can get perfect review scores,and why do gamers put up with this shit.
    because the awesomeness can cause people to overlook minor flaws

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I've reached about 7.5 MB and have not experienced any major lag, even when played for far longer than 3 hours at a time. I'm curious to know what type of PS3 everyone is playing on to see if that makes any differences? I'm playing on a slim and I've noticed that as a whole I've had somewhat less technical issues with games like freezes/lock ups and such than I did with my phat PS3 (I've had one freeze so far with Skyrim).

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    At the end of the day I don't care what anybody's argument is: 7+ MB save files are UNNECESSARY! Plenty of games with giant universes don't have save files this big. Bethesda needs to figure out a better way of doing this.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like Skyrim keeps track of way more things than any other similar scale games. For example, I once decided to wreck havoc on a dinner table in Whiterun. I jumped on top of it and ran around, causing plates, glasses and food to spill and roll all over the floor. Every time I come back to this table, all that junk is still on the floor in the same place I left it after my violent dinner table spasm.

From my own experience, I've never played a game that kept that kind of data. Granted I know nothing about programming, but wouldn't keeping track of details like that take up space in the end? Though if that IS the case that's still a little... excessive.

Hey, feel free to add me (Coconutz) on PSN!

KCCO!

Quote Originally Posted by fillabong View Post
    Pretty much, this. Fallout 3 and New Vegas suffered from the same issue. I tried to keep the saves files down to a minimum, in terms of the number of saves I kept around. I didn't have too many issues, fortunately.

Platinum Dohvakiin

My save file has hit 12mb. At first my frame rate didn't drop unless I played the game for 10+ hours. Now it drops after 2-3. Which actually made me change which Guild Quest line to finish. I was working on the Companions. But it pretty much take almost that long to finish one of their quest. So I'm trying to finish up the Thieves Guild. Because most of those are just one and done "Fetch Quest" anyway.

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:Lightning Returns:FFXIII, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Call of Duty: AW

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Magnets View Post
    So apparently the issue of the game lagging is due to the increasing save files according to Playstation Magazine. Worst still, it appears to be an issue only occurring with the PS3.

I've played Skyrim for around 35 hours so far and my current save is sitting at nearly 9 megs. I'm also finding the issue of lag to be crippling at times especially after I've played for more than 3 hours straight. Even turning off auto saving and reminding myself to manually save upon entering a town/cave etc the results still play out the same 2-3 hours of enjoyable game play and questing then game breaking lag.

Is anyone lucky enough not to have this irritating issue?

I just hope they develop a patch for it shortly, because restarting the game over and over is starting to take away from the engaging experience that is Skyrim.
    I've noticed and commented on this too.

On a related note, I've observed that it's not just the file size, but that the game also seems to spawn MULTIPLE AUTO-SAVES, which somehow seem to get entangled with each other. For example, if you die and then continue from an autosave, the game promptly creates another autosave before allowing you to continue ... even if you have all autosaves turned off. Naturally, this process can grow, and the only way to stop it each time is to save and exit fully, which forces the game to purge all existing autosaves and write a single fresh one (why it even needs to do the latter is beyond me).

p.s. This unfortunately seems typical of Bethesda ... pushing games out the door with SCADS of bugs and ergo-flubs that can and should have been caught by adequate quality testing. I love their games, but their track record on allowing so many bugs out in major releases is more than a little embarassing.
    ΦBK — Phi Beta Kappa society motto: "philosophia biou kybernetes" {love of learning is the guide of life.}
    Amazon Reviewer

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanHellraiser View Post
    ive never heard of save files causing lag. hopefully bethesda fixes this soon
    Anyone that's played a PS3 Fallout game has experienced this. They still haven't learned and the Ps3 still gets the shaft. When your save data reaches 9mb+ the game becomes unplayable at certain points(fallout). I haven't played Skyrim yet, but everyone already knew and predicted this would happen. Which is why Bethesda is one of the worst programmers out there...

Game on....

50 + hours played so far. Just over 7mb Save file. No slowdown (or lag) issues so far, even after 3 hours of play. Hopefully i can continue playing without this affecting my save file until the patch is released.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I got some of those lags on my end, sometimes it's unbearable. But I was lucky the lag's gone when I played again different time.

my latest anime updates

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast