a bit of screwing around reveals race height affects damage and speed

This is a discussion on a bit of screwing around reveals race height affects damage and speed within the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, The forum, part of the E; Hidden stat differences based on race selection. - Bethesda Softworks Forums The "getscale" command shows that races all have their ...

INTJ

a bit of screwing around reveals race height affects damage and speed

Hidden stat differences based on race selection. - Bethesda Softworks Forums

The "getscale" command shows that races all have their own unique scale. An Imperial character, for instance, has a base scale of 1.00. A Nord character, however, has a base scale of 1.03.

Most PC players are probably aware that the "player.setscale" command allows you to change the height of your character through the console. What they may not be aware of is that the problem with player.setscale command is that it doesn't just increase the size of your character, it also increase the character's movement speed, its jump distance, and even its damage output. It scales all of that to match the new size of your character. You may have a difficult time noticing this if you make minor adjustments from the default value (say boosting yourself from 1.00 to 1.03 to get your Imperial character to Nord size), but it's still happening regardless. Your character will be able to move faster than s/he should be and hitting hard than s/he legitimately can. The differences are very obvious and easily observed when you do more extreme changes (like a value of 10, where at level eight my character was be able to kill giants in three or four swings after being scaled for testing purposes). I imagine the opposite is true if you shrink yourself.

Since Nord characters already start at a base scale of 1.03 and Imperials start at a value of 1.00, this makes me wonder if there are small inherent movement speed and damage output difference built into the game depending on one's race selection. Is an Imperial character slightly slower at running than a Nord character simply because the Nord character is scaled larger? It would certainly explain why I (on my Imperial) have to sprint occasionally to keep up with a Nord NPC when following them to a quest location. Do Nord characters, in fact, do slightly more damage in melee than Imperial characters because of their larger scale?

I'd love to know, because keep in mind there *are* differences to movement speed, damage output, and jump distances if you adjust the scale figures manually through the console. And since the various races are all at different pre-set scales, that begs the obvious question which is the subject of this thread. If true, the differences would be minor, but they would be there.

TL;DR The Taller you are, the faster and more damage you cause.

The High Elves are the tallest race, so they get a 8% Damage increase compared to all other races (orcs are 4% less).

So they are technically the master race.

Here's the race height scales

Argonian Male: 1.01
    Argonian Female: 1.00

Breton Male: 1.00
    Breton Female: 0.95

Dark Elf Male: 1.00
    Dark Elf Female: 1.00

High Elf Male: 1.08
    High Elf Female: 1.08

Imperial Male: 1.00
    Imperial Female: 1.00

Khajiit Male: 1.00
    Khajiit Female: 0.95

Nord Male: 1.03
    Nord Female: 1.03

Orc Male: 1.04
    Orc Female: 1.04

Redguard Male: 1.00
    Redguard Female: 1.00

Wood Elf Male: 0.98
    Wood Elf Female: 1.00

Kiwi Defender

Bizarre, one would think that the smaller you are, the faster you'd be but the less you'd hit, and that being tall would be the opposite .

Well, so long PC Master Race, you've been dethroned by the High Elves.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

All hail the High Elves...

But I am still an Imperial at heart. And oh, did I also mention I can still fell giants in 2, 3 or 4 hits at Expert difficulty? The wonders of smithing and enchantment are simply magnificent!
    | Avatar by In2 | | Sig by Athena |

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by cocoasg View Post
    All hail the High Elves ...
    Yes, I'm playing a heavily muscled dark-haired Altmer with white on white eyes ... looks very creepy in his all-black Nightinggale** outfit. I bet Batman himself would get the willies.

Quote Originally Posted by cocoasg View Post
    And oh, did I also mention I can still fell giants in 2, 3 or 4 hits at Expert difficulty? The wonders of smithing and enchantment are simply magnificent!
    Indeed ... currently 100 smithing and 65 enchantment here too. The former does wonders for improving weapons, and the latter is great for improving skill bonuses and adding elemental damage. Oh, and let's not forget the "One-Handed" or "Two-Handed" weapon perk trees ... great for extra damage and stamina reduction.

Tip for the above build: if you're a dual-weilder running with the Star of Azura, it pays to actually carry 3 one-handed weapons, and 2 bows. The extra 1H weapon and extra bow should have Soul Trap on them (yes, it DOES work on a bow) ... whenever your primary weapons need recharging, just rotate in the spare weaps, and you'll be recharged in no-time. It also pays to carry a lot of spare soul gems, to tide you over during long missions involving foresworn (who resist soul trapping). The other advantage of the SoA is that every time you use it to recharge a charged item, it counts towards practicing your enchanting skill, so it's almost like having free training. Easily my favorite daedric artifact in both Oblivion and Skyrim - more so than all the others, combined.

--------------------
    ** Speaking of the nightinggale outfit ... it's actually pretty spiffy, and can be improved exquisitely with a high enough smithing skill, and with void salts. However, as soon as I I get my enchanting skills up to 100, I'll be using the "twin effects" perk to put the finishing touches on my fully maxed legendary dragonscale armor, which is sitting in storage at the moment. My version will also boost archery damage, give a higher armor rating, and will finesse destruction casting instead of illusion - like combining the classic nightinggale set with adept robes of destruction and bracers of archery.
    Last edited by ISI-Society; 11-28-2011 at 08:27 PM.
    ΦBK Phi Beta Kappa society motto: "philosophia biou kybernetes" {love of learning is the guide of life.}
    Amazon Reviewer

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

Quote Originally Posted by ISI-Society View Post
    Indeed ... currently 100 smithing and 65 enchantment here too. The former does wonders for improving weapons, and the latter is great for improving skill bonuses and adding elemental damage. Oh, and let's not forget the "One-Handed" or "Two-Handed" weapon perk trees ... great for extra damage and stamina reduction.
    Yup, I always have fire damage on my legendary daedric weapon and bow. If you equip 4 armor pieces with all smithing bonuses and use a smithing potion, you will be able to raise a daedric mace's damage to over 150+ damage with damage perks in the One-Handed tree. Add to that an enchantment potion when maxing out enchantment perks in the Enchantment tree, and you can put in 30-40 extra fire damage on the weapon. Also, I enchanted high magic resistance onto my daedric armor set so as to maximize survivability against heavy-magic users like Dragon Priests and Dragons as well.

Of course, I did not have time to experiment with Alchemy as well to maximize the effect of the potions used. That is better left to the true power gamers of the Elder Scrolls series, and I did not want to feel too overpowered to the extent that I am not enjoying Skyrim at all. =3

EDIT: Also do not forget the permanent magic resistance bonuses given by the Breton race, the Book of Love quest, and the Lord's Stone, among others.
    Last edited by cocoasg; 11-28-2011 at 08:42 PM.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Yeppers ... I enchanted several sub-sets of jewelry, which I carefully named so that they alphabetize** together in the horribly lame inventory display. I have a 3-piece set I crafted for smithing, all currently +25% apiece), which I keep in my 'crafting' dresser in my house, a 3-piece set I made for archery, a 2-piece sets for melee (blocking & wielding), sneaking, etc.

The archery set in particular is great, because when combined with the archery perks tree, it boosts sneaking archery damage up into the 1-shot kill range for all but the toughest critters (3x bonus applied to 120+ is usually plenty). Great for sweeping balconies and walkways of falmer mooks, draugr scourges, dwemer bots, etc ... all from max range.

-------
    ** Example:
    Smithing: Bracers
    Smithing: Necklace
    Smithing: Ring
    Last edited by ISI-Society; 11-29-2011 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Removed reference to circlet of smithing
    ΦBK Phi Beta Kappa society motto: "philosophia biou kybernetes" {love of learning is the guide of life.}
    Amazon Reviewer

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

Quote Originally Posted by ISI-Society View Post
    Yeppers ... I enchanted several sub-sets of jewelry, which I carefully named so that they alphabetize** together in the horribly lame inventory display. I have a 4-piece set for smithing, all currently +25% apiece), which I keep in my 'crafting' dresser in my house, a 3-piece set for archery, and 2-piece sets for melee (blocking & wielding), and sneaking.

The archery set in particular is great, because when combined with the archery perks tree, it boosts sneaking archery damage into the 1-shot kill range for all but the toughest critters. Great for sweeping balconies and walkways of falmer mooks, draugr scourges, dwemer bots, etc ... all from max range.
    Yeah, in the future, whenever I feel like replaying Skyrim, I will most likely roll two different characters, one as a pure destruction mage with -100% magicka cost, able to spam Thunderbolts and Master spells (it will be so fun) and another as a pure sneak crit-damage thief, with dual Blades of Woe, or something like that. TES games are very flexible, no? =3 Either way, ISL, good luck on your own platinum!

Lvl 6 - Silver

BTW, I corrected my post to indicate my smithing set is 3 pieces, not 4.
    Amazon Reviewer

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Bizarre, one would think that the smaller you are, the faster you'd be but the less you'd hit, and that being tall would be the opposite .
    Exactly what I was thinking... This makes no sense.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking... This makes no sense.
    Sorta seems to follow the Tolkienesque motif of Stature = Power/Speed.
    Amazon Reviewer

Lvl 5 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    See i'd think it would be the opposite because a normal person would have to take 3 or 4 steps to equal an average giants step. so i don't get how you'd be faster. unless being smaller equaled more stamina or less drain on stamina during sprinting.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Hyro View Post
    See i'd think it would be the opposite because a normal person would have to take 3 or 4 steps to equal an average giants step. so i don't get how you'd be faster. unless being smaller equaled more stamina or less drain on stamina during sprinting.
    This should explain it.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.