Any tips for a Skyrim n00b?

This is a discussion on Any tips for a Skyrim n00b? within the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, The forum, part of the E; So I just bought Skyrim for 22 from Gamestation UK, yh its on offer the now for that price and ...

Lvl 4 - Silver

Any tips for a Skyrim n00b?

So I just bought Skyrim for 22 from Gamestation UK, yh its on offer the now for that price and yes its a brand new copy

Anyways I was wondering is there any tips I need for this game, i have played/completed fallout 3 so i am aware of what im doing in these types of games

So anything I need to know, like places i should go at low levels, what armor is good for newbies, etc

??????

Sig By Apokolypz

Gaming since 1985!

Don't mess with mammoths or giants til higher levels (id say lv 20 at least) Always carry a few Cure Disease potions on you at all times, heavy armor is nice but can be loud if you like to sneak, light armor is good but you need to upgrade as soon as possible. Other than that, don't go for trophies and just enjoy the game, it will come with time. Oh, and make multiple saves and save often. Enjoy the game, it was epic.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Why do I need to make multiple saves?

Sig By Apokolypz

Retired TrophyGuide Ninja

Read the roadmap bodi wrote for the guide, it's really good and should cover all your questions:

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Trophy Guide - PS3 Trophies Forum

Lvl 6 - Silver

Get dragonrend shout ASAP it will land those bastards straight away!

Lvl 6 - Silver

* Make a decision early on regarding 1-handed or 2-handed weapons, and commit fully to one or the other, to concentrate your perks. Trying to do both will water down your all important skill progression in either. Instead of growing both types of melee weapons, specialize strongly in one, and put the remainder in archery instead of the other.

* Ditto for choosing a favorite school of magic and (if you choose destruction) a specific type of damage.

* Personally, I highly recommend the smithing skill, to help keep all your weapons and armor sets fully maxed out on damage and protection. Even better is pairing it with enchanting, and the Star of Azura, which enables you to custom make the exact bling you want (for yourself and your followers) instead of relying on random chance, and also keep everything fully charged and turn a tidy profit in the process. Smithing and Enchanting were 2 of my first three 100 skills (the 3rd was sneak). I didn't force them either ... I didn't get my first 100 until almost 40th level - I run a very balanced character with broad skills. Relatively little paid training too.

* I recommend doing the thieves guild first out of all the guilds, because it'll force you to learn sneaking and lockpicking (which you'll do all thoughout the rest of the game), and it'll net you the Skeleton Key, which makes life oh so much easier while spelunking ... no more breaking your last pick and having to fight your way out of a half-completed dungeon, just to buy more picks.

* Restoration magic is handy, but you can subsist fine without it if you learn some basic alchemy and/or how to cook. I can do all three, but prefer the former mostly for convenience and considerably less carrying capacity required.
    ΦBK Phi Beta Kappa society motto: "philosophia biou kybernetes" {love of learning is the guide of life.}
    Amazon Reviewer

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Never leave an "arrow" behind when you are searching a dead body the don't weigh anything and vary in value! As good as if not better than gold

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by WJT1804 View Post
    Never leave an "arrow" behind when you are searching a dead body the don't weigh anything and vary in value! As good as if not better than gold
    On a related note, save your game money and dont bother trying to buy upgraded arrows for your followers, because they can't use them. Instead, whenever they equip a bow, they always have a self-refilling supply of exactly ONE generic arrow handy ... arrows that cannot be recovered by the player, or traded for. I discovered this after giving Aela a wedding present of 150 Daedric arrows, and the amount of arrows in her quiver never decreased despite heavy use.
    ΦBK Phi Beta Kappa society motto: "philosophia biou kybernetes" {love of learning is the guide of life.}
    Amazon Reviewer

Lvl 6 - Silver

Another tip ... when pickpocketing, the amount of experience you get (and the level of difficulty involved) is DIRECTLY proportional to the value of the items involved, not the number of them or the number of times you do it.
    Amazon Reviewer

дурак

Quote Originally Posted by ISI-Society View Post
    Another tip ... when pickpocketing, the amount of experience you get (and the level of difficulty involved) is DIRECTLY proportional to the value of the items involved, not the number of them or the number of times you do it.
    Really? I didn't know that, I figured it had something to do with the weight of the item. Thanks for that.
    Blank Friend Requests will be ignored and/or blocked
    My Checklist | My Trading Thread | My Youtube Channel
    "The oldest and strongest of emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown"

Chuck Norris Approved.

The main thing is to enjoy the game. Don't focus purely on the trophies. Take your time and have fun is the best tip.

Avy, Chambers35 Sig, dsluckay

Digital Terror

another tip ive heard to lvl up congregation is to summon your minon in a pit, shoot fire at him to piss him off and starts the battle but hes in a pit so he cannot attack...now take out your congregation sword, put it back and quickly bring up your congre spell, rince and repeat to get 100 in congre in 30-40mins...

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgar View Post
    Really? I didn't know that, I figured it had something to do with the weight of the item. Thanks for that.
    I believe weight affects the difficulty also, but value seems to be the strongest factor. You get much more XP from pickpocketing say, an 800 gp diamond than an armload of firewood in this game.
    Amazon Reviewer