Glass vs dragon scale light

This is a discussion on Glass vs dragon scale light within the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, The forum, part of the E; I've been using mainly glass, think I'm at around 800 total for rating. I just unlocked the perk for dragon ...

Chuck Norris Approved.

Glass vs dragon scale light

I've been using mainly glass, think I'm at around 800 total for rating. I just unlocked the perk for dragon scale. The question I have is would it be worth remaking a scale set? I also have the dual enchanment perk. Reason I'm asking is I had no plan's of doing so and didn't save any scales or bones so would have to take a bit of time killing enough dragons to get what I need.

Avy, Chambers35 Sig, dsluckay

Trophy Guide Grand Master

The Dragon Scale Armor is def the best, but if you are already that far advanced into the game, are you really going to need it? I bought it and went the opposite way on the Smithing perk tree so I could have Daedric Weapons and never had the Glass Armors, but when it comes down to it at that point it was really just for cosmetics and my own joy of telling my GF that I had Dragon Scale Armor and she didn't....my Ebony Armor served me just fine before that...Now if you really want to look like a badass you can go with the Heavy Dragon Armor for your body and then the Dragon Scale Armor for the rest....also a good way to maximize your levels if you are working on level 50

Bringing the PAIN

I have found that the weapons are ALWAYS worth higher perks. The armor on the other hand if maxed out already on glass may not be worth all the time invested. Unless you just store them in your house untill youve built up a large supply to make them.

Avi by:dsluckay
    Sig by:In2

Chuck Norris Approved.

Yea davey, It's just something to mess around with. I'm level 53 like mid 80% trophies. More or less as you guessed, just tinkering around to see what I can get it lvled up too.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I use dragonscale armor. The armor rating on base armor over the glass isn't that much, just a couple of point per armor slot, though once you upgrade them on the workbench, there is a somewhat larger difference. If I remember right (I'm at work and not looking at my notes), you only need 13-14 dragon scales to make a full set of upgraded armor. That's only 5-8 dragon kills, so it shouldn't take you too long to get the scales you need.

You could always revisit the mountaintop dragons to see if they've respawned for you yet, or fast travel repeatedly until you get the dragons you need. You could probably spend less than 2-3 hours and get all the scales you need.

Chuck Norris Approved.

Just one more thing to keep me side tracked in the game. Need to finish mage and thieves guild plus around 6 daedric artifacts for the plat. I just get in a habit like most ppl of wandering. Then I was like hmmmm let's try dragon scale with double enchanchments.

Bringing the PAIN

Trust me I wndered FAR more than you. I think I was lvl 64 when I got plat. So you can imagine...

Avi by:dsluckay
    Sig by:In2

Chuck Norris Approved.

I agree, this is the first game in awhile that I didn't focus on trophies first. As in look at what trophies there were and so forth. I have just been enjoying myself. You know like how game's used to be played before we had the trophy system.

Lvl 6 - Silver

I went the light armor route too, and trust me, dragonscale is definitely a strong upgrade from glass armor. I'm currently at armor factor 900+, and that's with my agile defender perk at only 3/5 ... I'd be over 1000 if I maxed it. I regularly go nose to nose with ancient dragons, and shrug off most of the damage from their bites with my nosebleedingly high armor factor.

Stop by the smithing and enchanting thread I created a few weeks ago, for the specs on both the dragonscale armor, and my item crafting attire.

With my 1H weapon damage at 200+, and my armor pushing 1k, and all the money I could possibly need, I've completely eliminated any need to expend further perk points on weapons or armor ... in fact, I have 5 points saved that I havent found anything worth spending them on.
    Last edited by ISI-Society; 12-23-2011 at 05:30 PM.
    ΦBK Phi Beta Kappa society motto: "philosophia biou kybernetes" {love of learning is the guide of life.}
    Amazon Reviewer

Chuck Norris Approved.

I have the dragon scale chest plate, gauntlets and boots just need the helm and a few more scales to do the upgrades on the work bench. Think I have a few draughts at 30% 40% and 50% aslong as some items from 20% and 28% so will post total when I'm done.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Wargazsem View Post
    I have the dragon scale chest plate, gauntlets and boots just need the helm and a few more scales to do the upgrades on the work bench. Think I have a few draughts at 30% 40% and 50% aslong as some items from 20% and 28% so will post total when I'm done.
    The full limit of a new armor set doesnt become truly apparent until you gain the perk to smith it, and then pile on every possible smithing bonus to it's ultimate legendary upgrade. Although there's no separate adjectives to distinguish them, there's normal run of the mill "legendary", and then there's super duper ultra mega deluxe par excellance LEGENDARY. The latter makes the former look mediocre by comparison.

The game designers really should have added a separate top level acronym, above legendary, to help clarify that sort of thing.
    ΦBK Phi Beta Kappa society motto: "philosophia biou kybernetes" {love of learning is the guide of life.}
    Amazon Reviewer

Chuck Norris Approved.

Dragon scale light with ring and necklace armor rating 957 glass war hammer 256 damage 34 points shock

Lvl 6 - Silver

Over in the smithing and enchanting thread, I have confirmed that the maximum possible upgrade of a set of Dragonscale lite armor, without shield, and with all relevant lite armor perks in effect, is an Armor Rating of 1,191.

On a related note, I think this definitively answers any questions about the relevance of shields and blocking in Skyrim ... with fully maxed armor, it just isnt worth the perk points. Better to spend them on the armor or smithing trees, and your weapon tree.
    Amazon Reviewer

PRO Member

I fell in love with the deadra armor...best light armor I have is the Nightingale armor, which is awesome looking btw.

Lvl 6 - Silver

I tested this out for those who are interested ... Daedra Plate is indeed slightly better than Dragonplate, and is the best heavy armor in the game. As already know, Dragonscale lite armor is the best lite armor in the game by a fairly wide margin.
    Amazon Reviewer

Chuck Norris Approved.

I have thieves guild left and around 5 daedric artifacts left and one shout for the plat. Then I may fool around with more armor's, then again I have BF3 and arkam city unopened.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Wargazsem View Post
    I have thieves guild left and around 5 daedric artifacts left and one shout for the plat. Then I may fool around with more armor's, then again I have BF3 and arkam city unopened.
    I already finished Arkham City ... everything except challenge mode.

In general, I've always disliked challenge modes in games, because there's no writing or role playing involved - just mindless combat and/or dumb feats of agility or timing. Anyway, BAC's a great game ... a definitely large leap forward from BAA. You'll love it. Largely bug free too, which will doubtless be a welcome respite from Bugthesda's sloppily coded and undertested offerings.
    Amazon Reviewer