Best place to buy weapons?

This is a discussion on Best place to buy weapons? within the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, The forum, part of the E; Hey guys, was just wondering where the best place to by good powerful weapons is?I know there is a place ...

Vive La Révelation!

Best place to buy weapons?

Hey guys, was just wondering where the best place to by good powerful weapons is?I know there is a place in Whiterun and a place in Riverwood but there selection are kind of pathetic.Now I know this is because I just started and I’m only level 7, and they will eventually get more in stock as I level up more. But was just curious where the best place to buy weapons is period. Mostly for a future reference. Thank guys
    Avy & Signature by the Legend, Bladia.

Me & Ming @ The Stash

I never bought weapons. I always picked up powerful weapons from folks until my smithing was high enough to make my own badass shit. I advise not to waste your gold on buying overpriced junk. I know it's overpriced because you say your level 7 which means your speech can't be very high yet.

Awesomeness thanks to:Thunder for platbar | Bladia for sig | Sigs & Beyond

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Xx_R3V3LAT1ON_xX View Post
    Hey guys, was just wondering where the best place to by good powerful weapons is?I know there is a place in Whiterun and a place in Riverwood but there selection are kind of pathetic.Now I know this is because I just started and I’m only level 7, and they will eventually get more in stock as I level up more. But was just curious where the best place to buy weapons is period. Mostly for a future reference. Thank guys
    Some info, in no particular order:

* Inventory of most merchants refreshes every 48 hrs or so of game-world time.
    * The randomized inventory scales with the player's level ... as you gain levels, inventory improves in parallel.
    * In general, the best quality gear tends to be found (a) as random treasure in chests (generally, the harder the lock, the better the chance of decent random goodies) or on drugar deathlords in Drugar ruins, and (b) on daedric quests. Daedric artifact weapons are often not as powerful as the best you can buy or make at any given moment, but they make up for it by having a charge reservoir that's at least 2-4x normal (sometimes infinite).
    * In most (but not all) cases, the best gear in the game is the gear you make and upgrade yourself. Try to get your smithing, and your enchanting (in that order) up as high, and as quickly, as possible. Stop by the Smithing and Enchanting thread, for more details.

With the exception of high-end arrows** (and the occasional item that had an enchantment I wanted to disenchant and replicate), I almost never bought weapons or armor.

-----------------------
    ** The best places to buy arrows are the Drunken Huntsman in Whiterun and the Fletcher in Solitude.
    Last edited by ISI-Society; 01-20-2012 at 02:57 PM.
    ΦBK — Phi Beta Kappa society motto: "philosophia biou kybernetes" {love of learning is the guide of life.}
    Amazon Reviewer

Vive La Révelation!

Thanks for the information guys it’s been a big help!
    Avy & Signature by the Legend, Bladia.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

haha I do the same thing as stevencrowson, just used stolen weapons until I created epic things.

Lvl 6 - Silver

You're very welcome.

Across my character's career, his/her gear progression went something like this {this is essentially the light armor smithing route}:

* LEATHER ARMOR: Collect hides & use smithing to forge a set of leather armor, then keep it upgraded as high as your smithing skill and alchemy {fortify smithing potions} permits. Since you're probably not high enough yet to have the 'matching set' perk, and decent enchanting ability, it's ok to run with mix and match lite armor pieces until you do.
    * ELVEN ARMOR: Mine and/or collect moonstone ore (plus some quicksilver ore) until you have enough to replace all your leather and/or mix and match hear with a spiffy matching set of Elven Gilded Armor, and then keep it upgraded as best you can. By this time, you should be looking to buy the breezerun house in whiterun (the least expensive property and conveniently located near a fast travel point, a smith, and several merchants), so you have a place to begin saving up assorted high-end ores for better gear, and those heavy dragon bones and scales.
    * GLASS ARMOR: Mine and/or collect malacite ore (and unenchanted glass gear) until you have enough to replace all your elven gear. and then keep it upgraded as best you can, until you finally gain the perk for ...
    * DRAGONSCALE ARMOR: By this time, you should have enough bones and scales saved up to finally make a full set of the best lite armor in the game. Your next goal will be to max out your enchanting and alchemy skills, so that you can eventually replace your single-enchanted set with an ultimate double-enchanted max-legendary set that will last you though til platinum.

I didn't even bother with the 'advanced armor' stuff ... except to occasionally use the perk to upgrade and resell any valuable pickups I sometimes found and/or gave to followers enroute to something better. Aside from making an improved set of horn scale armor for lydia, or perhaps some steel/corundum platemail for benor, the 'advanced armor' perk is pretty much an unavoidable waste of time, enroute to glass smithing.
    ΦBK — Phi Beta Kappa society motto: "philosophia biou kybernetes" {love of learning is the guide of life.}
    Amazon Reviewer

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by ploplyguy View Post
    haha I do the same thing as stevencrowson, just used stolen weapons until I created epic things.
    From memory, I think the qualitative adjective progression goes something like this:
    * {ordinary}
    * Fine
    * Superior
    * Exquisite
    * Flawless
    * Epic <-- this is the highest you can improve gear you don't have the smithing perk for creating.**
    * Legendary <-- The game doesnt make it clear, but there are multiple subgradiations of quality within the legendary range, largely determined by how strong of a total smithing bonus you can muster using a combination of gear and potions enchanted with 'fortify smithing'. I've been able to achieve a bonus close to 120% with my item crafting set, which can then be combined with a potion.

----------------
    ** Actually, that's not entirely true, because if you can accomplish a +100% (or higher) total bonuse, you actually can upgrade something into the low end of the legendary range, even though you may not have the perk for it yet.
    Amazon Reviewer

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by ISI-Society View Post
    ... or on drugar deathlords in Drugar ruins ....
    How to slam dunk the money system in skyrim:

I kid you not ... as I type this, I have a barrel at my house in solitude that is STUFFED full of unupgraded unenchanted ebony weapons and armor, picked up soley from beating the &^%$ outta those deathlords, while chasing down dragon shout wordwalls. Instead of selling them right away, I bided my time and let them build up for a while until my supply of ebony ingots was flush, and my alchemy ability improved. Now that I'm getting ready to complete the heavy armor side of the smithing tree (I already finished the light armor side about 10 levels ago), as soon as I get ebony smithing, I'll haul the entire load of ebony gear over to a smithing location, don my crafting attire, swill a smithing potion, and MAX ALL OF IT up to tippity top legendary quality, and then make multiple rounds of all the major merchant areas of all the major cities, and pull in a cool $100k+ of cash, and use it to buy up & outfit all the remaing properties in the game.

Once you have maxed out your own gear, and the gear of your primary follower/housecarl, and fitted out all the properties in the game, money becomes instantly irrelevant, and you no longer need to pick up anything at all when adventuring ... aside from quest items, and perhaps occasional tidbits for followers.
    Last edited by ISI-Society; 01-20-2012 at 05:20 PM.
    Amazon Reviewer