Very Underrated Game

This is a discussion on Very Underrated Game within the Enslaved: Odyssey to the West forum, part of the E; It's a shame really - this game deserves more respect or maybe just more people to give it a shot. ...

Hunter-Scholar-Gentleman

Very Underrated Game

It's a shame really - this game deserves more respect or maybe just more people to give it a shot. I think it's a great game and it sufferred greatly when competing against more marketed and bigger titles. I have yet to finish it, but almost half way through I can say it's a unique experience and it's a fun one at that. What really impresses me is the environment design - post-apocalytpic meets nature. Bright greens, rust, great big buildings and a lot of robots make it a breathtaking, desolate but highly dangerous atmosphere. It can go from pure quiet to adrenaline pumping in a matter of seconds and not many games can pull that off without it being a negative. Everything works well for itself in this game.

I know there are a lot of amazing games out there right now, but if you wanted a distraction from it all, I highly recommend this. It's also extremely cheap as its value has gone down dramatically. For the platinum hunters out there, the only thing that you have to keep in mind is collecting orbs - they are along your path but they exploit every corner and camera angle possible. Makes it all the more rewarding when you find all of them - thank god for chapter select. Give it a shot everyone, this game deserves more players.

The Road So Far And The Road Ahead
    `Best Trophy Checklist (2014)
    `Checklist Spotlight #2 Winner (2014)
    `2nd place Trophy Checklist (2013)

Currently Playing
    `Batman: Arkham Knight [95%]
    `AC: Syndicate [6%]
    `Helldivers [26%]

Signature & Avatar

`courtesy of DaRe_xLw

Nope, nothing

I didn't know that the game was underrated but it's definitely a brilliant game.

I've only got 1 more trophy to get on it for the platinum but other games came out that I wanted to play so it got moved aside and I just haven't come back to it...maybe I will now you have reminded me of it

Lvl 9 - Gold

I posted about this along time ago before the site had a wipe. But yah, The story is taken from the book "Journey to the West" by Wu Cheng'en. The story is FANTASTIC and I loved every bit of it, but the gameplay did get kind of repetitive. The ending was extremely lacking, but it opens your mind up to the possibilities of what is going to happen next.

For terms of story, I think it is extremely underrated. Gameplay wise, not sure if they could of improved it more, but I didn't care for it too much. Going for the plat is a diff story, those orbs were a pain in the ass.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Agreed.

I left this game on hold for months because I really couldn't be bothered to get into it after Chapter 2, but after then I LOVED it, it's a really simple experience and it offers a lot of satisfaction from being just that, I always try recommending this to everyone I know.

The ending was rubbish, which is a major shame; but as a whole, DEFINITELY a great game you shouldn't ever miss out on.

Resident PHD

It was a great game, but it is more of a rental than a buy. I enjoyed the hell out of getting the but have little desire to play it again.

For all those on the fence about trying it out, do so you won't be disappointed.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Hunter-Scholar-Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    I posted about this along time ago before the site had a wipe. But yah, The story is taken from the book "Journey to the West" by Wu Cheng'en.
    Cool, I didn't know it's based on a book - I assume with most mediums that adapt stories from books is that the book itself is a better representation of the story. Is that the case here? I work for a book company and reading is my passion besides enjoying a good game. Always looking for a new good read, I'll have to give this a shot sometime.

Currently Playing
    `Helldivers [26%]

Signature & Avatar

`courtesy of DaRe_xLw

Lvl 5 - Silver

I only bought this game because of one factor, it was $14.99 brand new wrapped, i have had other titles ive rented and platt'd, Dark Void is an example of a rental plat which alot of ppl didnt like but i did, back to this one,i would have NEVER platt'd this if i had not owned it,yes its unique and different(story wise) ,but i didnt enjoy it all to much,was ok at best ,and the orbs were truely a pain in the ass for the plat.One of those plats i had to force myself to finish,had no desie for the dlc.

On the edge

I agree that this game didn't quite get the recognition that it deserved. It was a fantastic game with great mechanics and story and of course Trip's fine, fine, fine ass!

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by TerminalPhoenix View Post
    Cool, I didn't know it's based on a book - I assume with most mediums that adapt stories from books is that the book itself is a better representation of the story. Is that the case here? I work for a book company and reading is my passion besides enjoying a good game. Always looking for a new good read, I'll have to give this a shot sometime.
    Never actually read the novels, only know of them. This is obviously a visual version of the book but not in china, but actually in the US(New York). I'm actually the complete opposite of you. I can't stand to read . I rather watch a movie about a book.

On the edge

Quote Originally Posted by TerminalPhoenix View Post
    Even though it is based on the book there are quite a few differences in the stories. In the book Trip was a guy......I am glad however that they decided to change that at least. lol

There is also a film out for the "Journey to the West" and the story of the "Monkey King".

Lvl 7 - Gold

Without a doubt it's an underrated game. The story was great, I loved the characters and overall I just had a real good time playing it. I think it's probably one of my favorite PS3 games.

Sig and avatar courtesy of ABSTRACT678
    Platbar courtesy of ThunderStick

Hunter-Scholar-Gentleman

I need to force myself to ignore other games this week and weekend and platinum this game. I put in Uncharted 3 to see how it is and I instantly got hooked. Last time this happened it took me a year to go from chapter 2 to 6 lol. Damn all these good addictive games...

Currently Playing
    `Helldivers [26%]

Signature & Avatar

`courtesy of DaRe_xLw

Lvl 2 - Bronze

i saw this game for $20 new and thought about getting it ... had heard a couple people say it was a decent game ... might give it another look

MK Plat = Overrated

I just got a "like new" copy off of Amazon for $6.50. I did look it up on YouTube first to see if I really wanted it. Sure enough, it was a good buy. Like everybody else here, I was enthralled with the story. Unlike a few, though, I do like the game play. I like how it kind of reminds me of the '09 Prince of Persia except with a ton more action. I started my first play through on hard difficulty. Holy crap. I'm getting beat up pretty good. I love a good challenge and a great story. Highly recommended.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

the only grip i have about this game*just started it* is that i think they had the graphics suffer compared to heavenly sword because it had to be cross platform. beyond that its pretty fun. i played the demo and have played it on the 360 at a buddies house. i just got it for my ps3 tonight though so i can finsih and platinum it.

Lvl 9 - Gold

I'd wholeheartedly recommend Enslaved to everybody and their dog. The graphics are nothing short of superb, combat is simple yet effective and fluid, the dialogue between the characters is well written and often humorous, the post-apocalyptic landscapes are stunning - really, this game truly deserves a far wider audience than it has managed to amass. I loved the game almost from the off, and found it to be so much fun that I honestly didn't mind exploring every last corner for the many, many hundreds of Tech Orbs.

I did one playthrough on Normal, did some cleaning up via Chapter Select for the Orbs, Masks and miscellaneous trophies, and then finished my Hard playthrough in just over a day for the platinum. I've bought the DLC as well, although I've only scratched the surface of it so far - I'll probably go back to it and play it through sometime soon though. If I had one gripe about Enslaved, it would be that, as previously mentioned, the ending is a letdown, even if it does potentially open the door for a sequel...... a sequel that, sadly, will now never come to pass.

So, in short, if you have yet to play Enslaved, do yourselves a favour and play this gem. And don't buy it on the cheap, either - buy a first-hand copy to show your support for the game - I did!

Lvl 6 - Silver

Having recently 'd this game id recommend it to both casual players and trophy hunters.

Its a great story and has a very unique view on the apocolyptic setting, opting for a more greeny nature enviroment rather than the typical greys and browns palete you often see.
    I loved the characters and the dynamics between them although Trip was a bit annoying at times and sometimes thought of her as a brat.

For the hunters out there, its not a difficult plat but the orbs will frustrate you to no end, but its a great feeling when its all done. I had no glitched orbs on my game like others apparently have at some point.

Uncharted | Ratchet & Clank: aCiT | Uncharted 2 | Heavy Rain | CoD:WaW | Prince of Persia | Resident Evil 5 | Darksiders | Prince of Persia: tFS Assassins Creed 2 | LittleBigPlanet | Modern Warfare 2 | Uncharted 3 | Enslaved: OttW | Battlefield: BC2 | God of War I & II | Mafia II
    NFS: Hot Pursuit | Resistance 2 | Tekken 6 | Bioshock | Star Wars: tFU | Mass Effect | Portal 2 | God of War: CoO & GoS | Tomb Raider

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I can't get the untouchable and the no-hit rhino.. It's not that easy >_<

On the edge

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrew View Post
    I can't get the untouchable and the no-hit rhino.. It's not that easy >_<
    The untouchable can be done on the first chapter on easy without much difficulty. The rhino takes a bit of practice but once you get the pattern down then you will get it as well.