Sucker punch

This is a discussion on Sucker punch within the Entertainment forum, part of the General Chit-Chat; Has anyone else watched this movie? its awesome! im not just saying that because of the hot girls (although they ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Sucker punch

Has anyone else watched this movie? its awesome! im not just saying that because of the hot girls (although they are incredible) its really cool. I dont know why people hated it

For those who fight for it, life has a flavour the sheltered will never know.

PRO Member

Its a very awkward movie, so alot of people dont understand it. It wasn't a bad movie, but for people who arent normally into the genre, they can get lost quick.

Platinum #25: Star Ocean: The Last Hope International (Personal Favorite)
    Platinum #42 Mass Effect 3

Lvl 9 - Gold

I had high hopes for this movie but after I seen it I was like, na.

Nope, nothing

I loved the film, thought it was really awesome

Lvl 5 - Silver

I thought the movie was a mess. It looked good, but it didn't make a lot of sense to me and they didn't make me care about the characters at all.
    "Those who do not show respect will receive none in kind."

Lvl 5 - Silver

i loved this movie thought it was amazing loved the part where she fought the three samurai statues

Sig and avatar by beam

Lvl 7 - Gold

Doom loves him some Emily Browning. That is all.
    Doom runs a country, bitch! A nation of slaves! Dig you a grave! I'll make Umbrella look like Welfare, minimum wage! Doom is getting enraged! I come harder! Killed my ex-girlfriend and turned her into a suit of armor! Beat you to death with your legs, leave you in stitches, Marvel 2 is the shit, RE 5 is for bitches!

Sig made by Auburn
    First Latverian to Platinum Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Am I the only one who thought he wasted money by going to see this? The premise was good... The execution?... yeah... Not my kind of film, even though they advertised it to be like tailor made for me.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I saw it at the cinema and thought it was pretty good, especially liked the samurai guys.
    Not the best film out there but I don't think it deserves some of the crap people are giving it.

Lvl 9 - Gold

When I was at the cinema I was just waiting for it to end. Not my type of movie. The same with J.Edgar
    | Signature and avatar by dsluckay| Platbar by Wadefan1 |

Change is good

I thought this movie was kick-ass. Awesome story with great actors

INTJ

the most underrated movie of the year

Lvl 6 - Silver

It really wasn't that good, at all. I usually like these weird sort of films but the story was poorly told and made little to no sense. I know, I know it's supposed to be all about the hot girls and flashy action scenes but the fighting was a bit crap. I wouldn't recommend it to friends or anyone I know.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaftCookie View Post
    Has anyone else watched this movie? its awesome! im not just saying that because of the hot girls (although they are incredible) its really cool. I dont know why people hated it
    I hated it because there was no tension and the story made no sense.

It was a 110 minute special effects showcase.

Now I will admit I really liked the first 10ish minutes, the opening was told completely through visuals and very effectively. I really connected with it at first, but then she got to the asylum...

Thats when her imagination took over and all tension was removed from the film. There were no consequences for actions, many of her fight sequences felt completely separate from reality. They would be fighting some horrible monster and she would get hit with some huge sword or fire or something and would come out completely unscathed. Yet other-times it would damage someone... Sucker Punch makes shit up on the fly, and thus the movie feels devoid of tension.

The dream-within-a-dream thing makes this 100x worse. I can tolerate alot of abstract story telling and visuals, but even the most 'fictional of fiction' has to be presented in a version of reality that functions with some ruleset. The Matrix is believable because there are rules which we can use to put their world in context of our reality. Thats what made Inception so great, there were rules and consequences. Yeah this film did alot of what Inception did, but Inception handled it well. This film didn't.

The movie was also very expository in nature, there were alot of scenes of characters explaining what just happened or is happening. This is inherently boring, while not as bad as Transformers, it still hit that same notes of *set-piece* -> *explanation*, rinse and repeat.

As I have said before, set-pieces and exposition aren't bad on their own, but they become bad when they are all there is... There weren't alot of scenes where anything of consequence was going on, where I felt like I was learning anything about any of the characters or where something important was happening.

I view this film as a great example of how you still need a real plot, you can't just rely on special effects and cinematography to make a good film. Yeah they are very important, but they are always in context to the story you are trying to tell. If that last part isn't there, it becomes a poorly done film.

Setting the above aside, I also was mildly insulted by this movie on an intellectual level. Like a 'Spike Lee Joint' with racism, this film really dealt with feminism (Snyder proclaimed this as a female empowerment film, I'm not reading into things here) in this most simplistic and degrading ways so much so as to enforce the stereotypes it was trying to break.

Every man in the movie was evil save 'The Wise Man' and just out to rape or murder the women, and none of the women were able to overpower the men except to use their bodies. There really wasn't a single scene where a woman did anything cunning or clever to out-wit her opponent it was just "oh, I'll start taking my clothes off... Thats the only way to beat you," and none of the villains had any depth or reality to them it was just "Oh woman! I will hold you down and use your body however I want!!!!!!!"

You say you don't know why people hated it? I say I don't know how anyone with any appreciation of film liked it.
    Last edited by Gauss; 01-16-2012 at 11:21 AM.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Lvl 10 - Platinum

i thought it would have been much better than what it was, special effects werent as good as they should have been, story was all over the place, could have done with a rewrite to make the plot more comprehensible

PRO Member

The acrion scenes were great the rest was a total mess but still in a mysteriously kind of way I liked it.

Ice Cream Firefighter

I tried to get into it but yeah its not for me

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles