Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51

George Lucas will no longer be a cancer on hollywood

This is a discussion on George Lucas will no longer be a cancer on hollywood within the Entertainment forum, part of the General Chit-Chat; The Escapist : News : George Lucas is "Retiring" From Film George Lucas is sick of hearing complaints from the ...

  1. #1
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    11,218
    Reputation
    285

    George Lucas will no longer be a cancer on hollywood

    The Escapist : News : George Lucas is "Retiring" From Film


    George Lucas is sick of hearing complaints from the Star Wars fanbase, so he's leaving big-budget filmmaking for smaller projects.In a recent New York Times interview regarding his upcoming film Red Tails and the difficulties in creating the World War II biopic, filmmaker George Lucas stated he's stepping back and pull the final curtain on his career. Instead of producing any more multi-million dollar blockbusters, Lucas hopes to devote his time to making smaller, more artsy and personal films like his mentor, friend and fellow filmmaker Francis Ford Coppola."I'm retiring," Lucas stated in the the interview. "I'm moving away from the business, from the company, from all this kind of stuff."This may also mean that Lucas will finally be done with creating any more adventures (good or bad) inStar Wars' far, far away galaxy, although Lucas sort of attributes this to the increasing backlash he's received from the Star Wars fan base over the 1997's special edition release of the original trilogy and every subsequent re-edit since. In explaining why, Lucas likened the negative response to the kind of demands he used to hear from major film studios, who in the past have forcibly re-edited his earlier films like THX 1138. Lucas feels his ability to re-imagine the Star Wars films into what he originally wanted them to be is being restricted by the criticism he's heard over the Star Wars films."Why would I make any more," Lucas stated about continuing with his popular sci-fi universe, "when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?"While it remains to be seen if Lucas' retirement sticks, his next film, Red Tails opens this Friday, and is a historical drama about the all-black fighter squadron known as the Tuskegee Airmen, who fought in the second World War.

    "Why would I make any more," Lucas stated about continuing with his popular sci-fi universe, "when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?"


    yay



  2. #2
    illegal in 9 countries
    ant1th3s1s's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ōsutoraria
    Posts
    3,462
    Reputation
    526

    How is creating the world's greatest muppet show considered a "cancer on Hollywood?"

    Star Wars movies are kiddy flicks with some of the most wooden acting this side of Pinocchio, and George has done sweet fuck all else worth noting in his lengthy career aside from Indiana Jones (and to a lesser extent Labyrinth and Willow), but he deserves his place as a cultural icon.

    Dude makes squillions out of LucasArts games which offer a much more flexible media for the Star Wars universe, and more again through LucasFilm, Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound, which between them are responsible for over 50 Academy Awards, so I'm sure he has plenty of other creative outlets to keep him busy than regurgitating another Star Wars trilogy for no other reason than fan service.

    The concept (if not the implementation) of Darth Vader's apprentice Starkiller in The Force Unleashed was far better than any character committed to film since the original Star Wars. I would have liked to see a darker, more adult Star Wars universe explored on the big screen, but I imagine rolling out the cameras again would be prohibitively expensive and expectations from fans too weighty for the man to bother if he feels creatively constrained.

    Good on you George for giving the pathetically obsessive man-children that are Star Wars fans a collective "fuck you"...it's about time they grew up.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 01-19-2012 at 08:19 AM.

    PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

  3. #3
    O_o
    ERICVOLTAGE's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    934
    Reputation
    244

    "Why would I make any more," Lucas stated about continuing with his popular sci-fi universe, "when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?"
    Because he constantly shits on everything he's ever done. No one is concerned about him making films, they're concerned about him making films that ruin his past works, AND his constant fiddling with said things. He's too full of himself to realize that, so might as well throw in the towel.

  4. #4
    Retired TGT Member
    antoniosbandana's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Facecam Baby YEAH
    Posts
    3,146
    Reputation
    116

    Can we get some Star Wars remakes now? No way.

    But it would be so cool. Star Trek (2009) was phenomenal. It's everything I want my SW movies to be


  5. #5
    Korean Girl Group Groupie
    Rubicant81's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Inevitably, Unattainable
    Posts
    1,417
    Reputation
    151

    If George Lucas wants to redo/remake/fuck up his own creation, it should do so regardless of what anybody else thinks. As an artist he should strive for whatever his vision is supposed to be, if he feels like it will reflect what he has intended.

    I know that the entire world and fan base seem to believe that Star Wars is something sacred, and that the source material is something that should be held sanctimonious, but seriously - get over yourself if you think that Star Wars is something that belongs to yourself, or some global entity that once the original was released was so beyond perfection that it should have never been touched.

    It's somewhat sad that George Lucas let's the pressure of "fans" dictate his actions, and not take pride in his work and stand beside it despite the criticism that comes with the territory, especially in this day and age where everybody is anonymous critic behind their screens and internet connections.

    Oh well, if he decides to make another film in the saga, I sure that a lot these cynics and anti-fans will be the ones camping around the movie theaters days in advance to see the initial screenings with their expensive life size lightsaber replicas.

    Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

  6. #6
    PRO Member
    Kylo's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    675
    Reputation
    20

    In my opinion, I thought all of the Star Wars movies were great and the prequel trilogy was just a little different from the original (As well they should be seeing as they were released over 20 years apart) but still a good trilogy. I also agree with Rubicant, any piece an artist produces, whether it be of graphic, motion or sound, belongs to that artist and they are free to do what they want with it. However I will say that on some level, I can see what the huge fans of the franchise are on about, being able to the see the original cut and changing it can be annoying, but no need to go on some rampage and hating on Mr Lucas (He just needs to release a BR original cut).

    It's sad to see him retiring from the big projects, I wish him good luck in the future though .

    PSN: CasualStorm
    Steam: CasualStorm
    My Blog: PlayStation Room | Gaming News, Articles & Reports

  7. #7
    PRO Member
    Gauss's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,201
    Reputation
    87

    Why couldn't he have done this in 1996? Before he ruined the Star Wars saga...

    I am sure I am going to get alot of backlash for saying this, but Star Wars aren't kiddy movies. Lucas made them stupid, childish movies in the prequel trilogy. Thats when he started dumbing everything down on all fronts. You may point to the ewoks or something, but the end sequence in Jedi has more substance than the entire prequel trilogy combined, and still plenty left over to smack you in the face with its dick.

    I lost all respect for this man long ago, and over the last decade all thats happened is I've become convinced he had little to do with Star Wars success other than providing that initial creative spark. Since then he has gone from a visionary to an entrepreneur, wholly obsessed with his almighty dollar.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.


    Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

  8. #8
    Lvl 2 - Bronze
    familyguyfan100's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Playing my Ps3
    Posts
    84
    Reputation
    0

    The people giving George Lucas crap for his Star Wars edits, WHO THE F**K CARES!!! It's because of those nerds and uptight people that such a great filmmaker is retiring. I grew up watching Star Wars so you guys could have your own opinions. If George Lucas wants to make his movies the way he wants to he should HE OWNS THE SERIES!!! I feel sorry for George Lucas taking all this crap from fans about the tiniest stuff. If you guys complain about him so much tell it to his face. If you guys hate the new Star Wars edits just go back and watch your VHS copies while George Lucas is editing the movies the way he originally wanted them to be. I respect George Lucas as a filmmaker and I'm excited to see Red Tails and all the other movies he is going to be making.

  9. #9
    Lvl 6 - Silver


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    426
    Reputation
    18

    this was the same guy who said "i'm not good at writing dialogue" after all the negative reviews came out after Episode III.

    Hey asshole, you are in charge of one of the most loved franchises in science fiction - how about you hire a consultant writer to tweak the dialogue then? How about you don't hire all yes-men and bring in someone who's not afraid (and won't get fired) for saying "this scene sucks and needs to be changed"? He got so obsessed in the prequels with "how much action and special effects nonsense can we cram into each scene" that the story took a deep deep backseat to all the CGI.

    And this isn't a fanboy rant of "he didn't make it the way i wanted it to be" - this is all documented in the making-of commentary on the DVDs and in interviews.

    here you go:
    Star Wars: Episode 1 The Phantom Menace |

    this guy goes through and tears the prequels apart for failing in just about any method of storytelling.


    this guy is retiring/taking his marbles and going home? good.
    He used to be able to tell good stories, but he has gotten too far into the whole More CGI=More Gooder movie idea that he doesn't realize that the movies he has put out suck, mostly because they lack what made his earlier work good - good stories and good characters.

  10. #10
    Retired TGT Member
    antoniosbandana's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Facecam Baby YEAH
    Posts
    3,146
    Reputation
    116

    Quote Originally Posted by nullzero00 View Post
    this was the same guy who said "i'm not good at writing dialogue" after all the negative reviews came out after Episode III.

    Hey asshole, you are in charge of one of the most loved franchises in science fiction - how about you hire a consultant writer to tweak the dialogue then? How about you don't hire all yes-men and bring in someone who's not afraid (and won't get fired) for saying "this scene sucks and needs to be changed"? He got so obsessed in the prequels with "how much action and special effects nonsense can we cram into each scene" that the story took a deep deep backseat to all the CGI.

    And this isn't a fanboy rant of "he didn't make it the way i wanted it to be" - this is all documented in the making-of commentary on the DVDs and in interviews.

    here you go:
    Star Wars: Episode 1 – The Phantom Menace |

    this guy goes through and tears the prequels apart for failing in just about any method of storytelling.
    Because Lucas rules (ruled) with an iron fist

    What Lucas wants, Lucas gets. I'm glad he wants out now lol


  11. #11
    Lvl 6 - Silver


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    426
    Reputation
    18

    Quote Originally Posted by antoniosbandana View Post
    Because Lucas rules (ruled) with an iron fist

    What Lucas wants, Lucas gets. I'm glad he wants out now lol
    there's a huge difference in the midset of east coast vs. west coast comics that applies here. East coast comics will pal around and rip each other when they bomb or say something stupid, and it forces you to home your craft and be better. You're not allowed to keep being mediocre or only slightly funny because you will be called out on it. West coast comics are the opposite - they are afraid to offend because they don't know if that one insult, whether deserved or not, might come back to bite them when that person holds that knot in their panties later in life and doesn't recommend them for a part in a movie. LA people tend to be always selling themselves, always trying to present their best 5 minutes in the hopes of getting their next gig, and are afraid to offend iin case it blows that chance.
    This leads LA people to be surrounded by yes men, and any negative criticism gets eliminated. The artist continues on their path thinking everything they do is great, and are blind to any negative reactions. Look at the last 20 years of Pacino's career, or DeNiro, or a lot of big actors who just don't put out good movies any more. The same happened to Lucas along the way. There was one part in the DVD commentary where people were just scared to tell Lucas that some of his ideas weren't that great (or just sucked). A good artist wouldn't let that happen, and would want the negative criticism in order to help them make their product better.

  12. #12
    Retired TGT Member
    antoniosbandana's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Facecam Baby YEAH
    Posts
    3,146
    Reputation
    116

    Quote Originally Posted by nullzero00 View Post
    there's a huge difference in the midset of east coast vs. west coast comics that applies here. East coast comics will pal around and rip each other when they bomb or say something stupid, and it forces you to home your craft and be better. You're not allowed to keep being mediocre or only slightly funny because you will be called out on it. West coast comics are the opposite - they are afraid to offend because they don't know if that one insult, whether deserved or not, might come back to bite them when that person holds that knot in their panties later in life and doesn't recommend them for a part in a movie. LA people tend to be always selling themselves, always trying to present their best 5 minutes in the hopes of getting their next gig, and are afraid to offend iin case it blows that chance.
    This leads LA people to be surrounded by yes men, and any negative criticism gets eliminated. The artist continues on their path thinking everything they do is great, and are blind to any negative reactions. Look at the last 20 years of Pacino's career, or DeNiro, or a lot of big actors who just don't put out good movies any more. The same happened to Lucas along the way. There was one part in the DVD commentary where people were just scared to tell Lucas that some of his ideas weren't that great (or just sucked). A good artist wouldn't let that happen, and would want the negative criticism in order to help them make their product better.
    Well if we're questioning Lucas as an artist, we could get more specific. The world of Star Wars is fascinating and vast, so I like elements of his creativity. On the other hand, his writing and directing skills are disappointing and just about make me sick

    I feel like I learned about Hollywood culture just now, being from the east coast myself and not having any part of movies/comics in either geographic region.


  13. #13
    PRO Member
    DRAGON1NINJA's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,433
    Reputation
    168

    Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    How is creating the world's greatest muppet show considered a "cancer on Hollywood?"

    Star Wars movies are kiddy flicks with some of the most wooden acting this side of Pinocchio, and George has done sweet fuck all else worth noting in his lengthy career aside from Indiana Jones (and to a lesser extent Labyrinth and Willow), but he deserves his place as a cultural icon.

    Dude makes squillions out of LucasArts games which offer a much more flexible media for the Star Wars universe, and more again through LucasFilm, Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound, which between them are responsible for over 50 Academy Awards, so I'm sure he has plenty of other creative outlets to keep him busy than regurgitating another Star Wars trilogy for no other reason than fan service.

    The concept (if not the implementation) of Darth Vader's apprentice Starkiller in The Force Unleashed was far better than any character committed to film since the original Star Wars. I would have liked to see a darker, more adult Star Wars universe explored on the big screen, but I imagine rolling out the cameras again would be prohibitively expensive and expectations from fans too weighty for the man to bother if he feels creatively constrained.

    Good on you George for giving the pathetically obsessive man-children that are Star Wars fans a collective "fuck you"...it's about time they grew up.
    Lol but true, I have only seen one Star Wars movie.. I liked it but it wasn't enough to make me want to watch more of them.

    Sig by Smashguy

  14. #14
    \(^o^)/ (・。・)
    cocoasg's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    675
    Reputation
    58

    I do not understand all this hate for George Lucas. I prefer to put all things in life in a simple perspective:

    Without George Lucas, there would have been no Star Wars. No Indiana Jones. No "I am your father" memes. No 'let me whip your pistol off your hand' scenes. No Luke Skywalker, or Darth Vader. No Henry Ford. And many more cultural references.

    They are his creative works, as well as Spielberg's. Even if he botched up some of his more recent releases, how does that give anyone the right to keep bashing him for that? "It tarnishes the Star Wars franchise" is a very poor excuse; the original 3 films are still there in their whole glory, in their own collections, available for sale still to this day. If you did not like what he did with the next 3 Star Wars movies, why do you not remake them yourself (oh, wait, the idea came from Lucas himself)?

    Fans are so cutthroat nowadays. Me, I am a very neutral guy. I enjoy all kinds of movies, regardless of their origin, and I even enjoyed watching the last 3 Star Wars movies (the first three in the 6-movie series) despite all their wooden acting. People are so critical in this day and age, but please ask yourself: WHAT IS THE POINT? George Lucas, whether you retire or not, please know that you are just awesome. May someone else have the genius and creativity to create another Star Wars like you in the future! =3
    | Avatar by In2 | | Sig by Athena |


  15. #15
    No Matter What
    Notoris's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    1,301
    Reputation
    32

    Am I the only one in the world who enjoyed Episode 3?

    "But now in the end I understand that it made be stronger."



    Happy Tree Friends
    Come here for some bloody fun

    Classic Rap Fans
    The hangout for fans of the Golden Era.

    ExDesigns
    A prime spot for quality GFX

    |Sig by Dare|
    |Avatar by Dare|

  16. #16
    Retired TGT Member
    antoniosbandana's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Facecam Baby YEAH
    Posts
    3,146
    Reputation
    116

    Quote Originally Posted by Shady Death View Post
    Am I the only one in the world who enjoyed Episode 3?
    Nope. I enjoyed Episode 3. I just think it could've been 10x better.


  17. #17
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    11,218
    Reputation
    285

    Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Why couldn't he have done this in 1996? Before he ruined the Star Wars saga...

    I am sure I am going to get alot of backlash for saying this, but Star Wars aren't kiddy movies. Lucas made them stupid, childish movies in the prequel trilogy. Thats when he started dumbing everything down on all fronts. You may point to the ewoks or something, but the end sequence in Jedi has more substance than the entire prequel trilogy combined, and still plenty left over to smack you in the face with its dick.

    I lost all respect for this man long ago, and over the last decade all thats happened is I've become convinced he had little to do with Star Wars success other than providing that initial creative spark. Since then he has gone from a visionary to an entrepreneur, wholly obsessed with his almighty dollar.


    empire strikes back 4 lyfe





    Quote Originally Posted by Shady Death View Post
    Am I the only one in the world who enjoyed Episode 3?
    Quote Originally Posted by antoniosbandana View Post
    Nope. I enjoyed Episode 3. I just think it could've been 10x better.

    here's why your opinion is wrong

    http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/s...e-of-the-sith/



  18. #18
    Retired TGT Member
    antoniosbandana's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Facecam Baby YEAH
    Posts
    3,146
    Reputation
    116

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    here's why your opinion is wrongStar Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith |
    That was a giant piece of shit, please don't suggest I watch trash like that again. Actually suggest if you want, I'll know better next time.

    Two things. Using a piece of trash to show why something else is a piece of trash, when the former is 50x worse than the latter, is hardly a way to make an argument. But more importantly, by definition, an opinion cannot be wrong. It is neither correct, nor incorrect. It can't be as it's not based on fact.You could try saying "I disagree, and here's why", but saying "nope you're wrong" is entirely out of place here.


  19. #19
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    11,218
    Reputation
    285

    The star wars prequels arn't trash

    that would be a disgrace to actual trash.


    it's much much worse



  20. #20
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    Minarum's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Your mom's bed, aka Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,102
    Reputation
    27

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    here's why your opinion is wrong

    Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith |
    No one's opinion is wrong idiot.

    Sad day for Lucas Arts.
    August 2011 Trophy Competition Winner

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.10
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO