Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fallout 3: A Belated Apology

This is a discussion on Fallout 3: A Belated Apology within the Fallout 3 forum, part of the F; In past posts on various threads and one sig, i made it quite clear i had no love for Fallout ...

Writing Things

Fallout 3: A Belated Apology

In past posts on various threads and one sig, i made it quite clear i had no love for Fallout 3, hated it's dreary look, hated the V.A.T.S. system and hated taking a second chance on it.

However, after a drunken debate with a friend of mine last weekend brought on about people dismissing games that are great way too quickly, he pointed out two things that may change my mind about the game.

1. I didn't have a big ass HD telly the previous two times, making the game look about five times more dreary than it should and rendering a lot of text difficult to read.

2.I have a child now and since then, my gaming time has become more enjoyable through patient play and playing fewer games at one time., hell, i got 11 Plats since he was born when i had a measly one in 2 and a half years before that.

So i found Fallout 3 GOTY Edition for a measly 5 today and what do you know, i actually started enjoying it, i understand it better, it looks better ( not brilliant but you know.... good ) and i already feel more involved in it than before.

It may take a while to get deeper into it but i will say this much, i no longer hate Fallout 3. Maybe you should give that game you couldn't quite get into another shot and see if you missed something? I'd like to see the results.

Sig by DaRe_xLw

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I could do that with Gran Turismo 5. Didn't like it at all. Maybe going back to it will change my mind?

Gaming since 1985!

I was like that at first. I had bought the game brand new not knowing anything about it and got maybe 3 hours into and returned it. Picked it up again like a year later and really gave it a shot and became a Fallout fanboy. I will preorder and buy Fallout 4 on release day like I did with Fallout NV.

Thanks to the General09 for the awesome sig and Beam for the badass avy and In2 for the dank platbar!

Rangers F.C

Glad to hear it Fallout is a fantastic game , I am playing it on and off ATM too , it is a bit dated now but still good . If I remember correctly you were a fan of Skyrim and Fallout 3 is just as packed with things to do .

P.S If its the GOTY edition do a speed run through the Broken Steele DLC ( its shit anyway ) and get the stealth suit , it makes exploring the game a lot better and improves the game .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

illegal in 9 countries

For shame. V.A.T.S and S.P.E.C.I.A.L are the balls.

Fallout 3 GoTY is still the buggiest mofo you're likely to play aside from New Vegas and Skyrim, but it's a cracking good FPS-RPG.

Banned

I had the same experience (sort of) when I played Fallout 3. I played up until you're trying to leave the Vault and I just couldn't get into it at all. Two or three weeks later I tried it again and I loved it. Did nothing but play Fallout 3 until I fell asleep for about 5 days straight.

Glad you're enjoying it, it is a very fun game when you really get into it.

Lvl 6 - Silver

A girl who worked with my mum recommended Fallout 3 to me and we became good friends after that. I love this game and I have it for both the ps3 and the xbox.
    Thanks to xEl_Cidx for my awesome Avy and Sig.

Platinum Dohvakiin

I've played FO3 on 3/4 different occasions, my experience with it never got over ...meh. I honestly do not see what all the love and admiration over that game is. I just found the game exceedingly boring in all aspects.

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:
    Yakuza: Dead Souls & Dynasty Warriors 7

Lvl 6 - Silver

I wasn't crazy about it at first either. I put it down twice before coming back a third time and finally started to enjoy it. I absolutely love the franchise and cannot wait for Fallout 4. I just recently went back to F3 to play The Pitt DLC that I never got around to playing. It was super short but I still enjoyed every minute of it.

Lvl 7 - Gold

The starting vault doesn't set the pace or really give the player the scope of the environment and the joy of exploring, like the rest of the game does. I remember being bored after getting through the vault and all the menus when setting up my character. Have to press through until you get to the overworld and start realizing if you can see something in the distance, you can most likely get there and shoot/loot it up.
    <signature>
    [Insert garbage no one gives two fucks about]
    </signature>

Platinum Dohvakiin

Quote Originally Posted by Shuklar View Post
    The starting vault doesn't set the pace or really give the player the scope of the environment and the joy of exploring, like the rest of the game does. I remember being bored after getting through the vault and all the menus when setting up my character. Have to press through until you get to the overworld and start realizing if you can see something in the distance, you can most likely get there and shoot/loot it up.
    I made it top side, did a few side quest even advanced as far as Tranquility Lane in the main story. Just never found the game interesting at all. By the time I got to that mission, I was like "Ok why am I playing this, I'm bored out of my mind, and don't give a crap about anything in this game. I figured after I think it was close to 12 hours of game play, if I wasn't interested in it by now, I wouldn't be at all.

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:
    Yakuza: Dead Souls & Dynasty Warriors 7

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by platzreign View Post
    I made it top side, did a few side quest even advanced as far as Tranquility Lane in the main story. Just never found the game interesting at all. By the time I got to that mission, I was like "Ok why am I playing this, I'm bored out of my mind, and don't give a crap about anything in this game. I figured after I think it was close to 12 hours of game play, if I wasn't interested in it by now, I wouldn't be at all.
    It's certainly not for everyone. For me, it itched my compulsion to explore and loot everything. The slow-mo VATS head explosions didn't hurt either hehe.
    <signature>
    [Insert garbage no one gives two fucks about]
    </signature>

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I was just like that with Final Fantasy XIII. I play through the game and hated almost everything about it but after almost 2 years later and Final Fantasy XIII-2, I tried FFXIII again and found it very enjoyable the second time through.

arrghhargahragharahg

Thats great to hear!! It happens to everyone I think.
    We are all too quick to judge games, etc. because of prior bad experiences or other factors. Sometimes it's just that we're not into it at the time, but 2, or 3 years later maybe we are.
    Extremely busy at the moment. I have not forgotten those that I am helping, so fear not!
    Sig by DaRe_xLw
    !!

Rangers F.C

I was hooked on it by the end of the Vault stuff and loved every second of the whole game , all the DLC were excellent apart from Broken Steele but the new content made up for it , when I played this game I made sure I entered every building , tunnel , opened every drawer , safe , cabinet and covered every inch of the game , and did this several times lol , I love exploring and games like this and Skyrim will always be my favourite .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I agree with zeroslayer on FFXIII. Got it when it first came out but couldn't really get into it like previous FF games. Then FFXIII-2 came out and I gave it another shot, glad I did.

Writing Things

Nice to see i'm not alone on this sort of thing! Thanks for your input peeps.

The first time i got Fallout 3 i was super hyped for it. It was a post apocalypse open world RPG with the same engine as Oblivion, which i'd not long since devoured, i enjoyed the start in the vault, did a few Megaton bits and went to go to the Radio Station, died a few times and left the game at the back of the pile and sold it a week later ( There were a few good games at the time and i had a good chunk of money so i bought pretty much everything from September through December, Borderlands got the same treatment but i always knew i'd come back to that ).

I felt compelled to give it another shot, got a bit further and it just frustrated me, i know now it was due to an awful TV and a lack of time per game but at the time it was a curse word in my home so it got sold again.

Apart from blowing up Megaton, i've done the same things in game again to a degree and find myself coming up to the point i left at all that time ago, this time however, i'm engrossed in it a lot more and i'm going to start some of the DLC missions after the next main mission.Yet it still has to compete for my time with Hitman Trilogy and DmC though.

Sig by DaRe_xLw

Lvl 4 - Silver

It was the same thing for me too, a friend of mine kept playing Fallout 3 in front of me and it looked like a lot of fun. I finally borrowed it and... I found it extremely boring and gave it it back the same day. Then, I think I it was about a few months later, I decided to give it another try for absolutely no reason and I ended up having a blast with it. Maybe I should try this with Oblivion too...

When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and leave people wondering how the hell you did it.

Writing Things

Finished the main story, had a slightly underwhelming finish but so did Skyrim, played a few of the DLC packs, exploring the Wasteland is enjoyable.

Fallout 3 is in my all time top 20 PS3 games now, it's made a great impact on me, no, it's not as splendid as TES games, but it offers something so many open world games lack... proper exploration. Never been so glad to be so wrong.

Sig by DaRe_xLw

That Southern B****

I'm glad you gave FO3 another shot. So far, it is my favorite in the series. As for TES, I like them, but I'm not a sword person or a close-combat fighter. I prefer distance between me and the target so if I mess up I can bail quickly

For me, it was Uncharted. When I first played it many years ago, I kept getting stuck and constantly dying and just hated it. The last time I played it about a year or so ago, I made it to the end much faster than I expected! I enjoyed it though not as much as U2.
    Hitmon133: "Today's passage is taken from the Book of Coug. Chapter 56, Verse 46. >.>"

Epic Banner by Fawst <3

Toggle Spoiler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast