Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

PS3T's Top 25 PlayStation 3 Games - Part One: The Beginning...

This is a discussion on PS3T's Top 25 PlayStation 3 Games - Part One: The Beginning... within the Features and Editorials forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Part 1 - The Beginning Despite a rocky start, the PlayStation 3 has blossomed over the course of its seven ...

You Know You Love Me

PS3T's Top 25 PlayStation 3 Games - Part One: The Beginning...

Part 1 - The Beginning

Despite a rocky start, the PlayStation 3 has blossomed over the course of its seven year life from an overly-expensive joke to a fantastic gaming ecosystem, renowned for its extensive library of high-quality exclusives, free online gaming, and (more recently) its industry-changing PlayStation Plus service.

To date, the console has sold over 80 million units, overtaking the Xbox 360 (78.85 million units sold AToW) - an incredible feat considering that the PS3 released a year later than Microsoft's console, was priced much higher, and had a pretty disappointing release line-up.

Since November, 2006, over four thousand PlayStation 3 games - both retail and digital - have been released, and there's something for everybody: from JRPGs to First-Person Shooters; Platformers to Racing Simulators; and Interactive Dramas to Indie titles, the PS3 has a stellar line-up of games on offer.

Over the past few months, the site staff have come together to present to you PS3T's Top 25 PlayStation 3 Games - a list of the best games available on the PlayStation 3 that we feel every PS3 owner must play. Whether you're new to PlayStation, or crossing games off before you move on to the next generation, the list below is your guide to the ultimate PlayStation 3 experience.

The 12 participating staff members nominated a total of 121 games, which were then distilled down to the 25 games you see below. As you can surely appreciate, editing a list down to one quarter of its original size is no easy task. Compromises and concessions were made, and many great games were unfortunate casualties of the process. The games that remained, however, are the cream of the crop.

Over the next few weeks we’ll release our list, starting at the beginning of the PlayStation 3’s life, and working our way forward.

This week we look at the games that launched alongside the console, and that sustained it in its early years. Let’s begin!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant
    Developing a system launch title is no small feat. You need to offer something unique; something impressive; something that strikes a balance between fresh and familiar. For the PlayStation 3 launch, the task of developing such a game fell to Insomniac, the studio behind PlayStation gems like Ratchet & Clank and Spyro the Dragon. And boy did they deliver.

Resistance: Fall of Man launched alongside the PlayStation 3 as the console’s flagship shooter, and was met with both great critical acclaim and commercial success - so much so that it spawned two sequels, and two handheld titles! - and combined old-school sensibilities with next-gen hardware to create a fast-paced, visually-stunning first-person shooter that harkened back to classic games like Unreal Tournament.

The main strengths of the game are its unique and imaginative weaponry, its grim-yet-gripping narrative, and its amazingly deep online multiplayer which, for the first time on a Sony system, was a built-in standard and allowed you to get your K/D on with people all over the world.

Set in an alternate 1950s Europe amidst the height of an alien invasion of Earth, Fall of Man places you in the boots of Sgt Nathan Hale, an American soldier dispatched to Britain in order to secure a secret weapon believed to be the key to defeating the Chimera, aliens that propagate by infecting humans, mutating them into fellow chimera, and enslaving them to the hive-network.

Quote Originally Posted by Faust
    There’s no denying that the quality of mainstream horror games has seen a marked decline over the past few years – a trend that began with the utter travesty that was Resident Evil 5 – as developers have slowly but surely abandoned classic horror conventions in favour of high-octane action and shiny set-pieces – one of the many unfortunate side-effects of the rise of Call of Duty. As with all things, though, there is an exception, and in this case it’s Dead Space – a science-fiction survival horror from EA Redwood Shores (now Visceral Games).

Set on the USG “Ishimura” (a planet-cracker class starship that literally mines planets), Dead Space places you in the unfortunate role of Isaac Clarke, a ship systems engineer dispatched to investigate the Ishimura’s distress signal. Before long, Isaac and his crewmates find the whole ship to be overrun by Necromorphs – grotesque reanimated corpses whose arrival mysteriously coincides with the discovery of an ancient ‘alien’ artefact...

What makes Dead Space stand head and shoulders above the rest is its innovative and viscerally satisfying gameplay based on the concept of ‘strategic dismemberment’; its tense and terrifying atmosphere that evokes a strong sense of isolation and paranoia; and its minimalist visual design that fits perfectly with the setting, whilst also keeping you focused on the action, rather than burying you in UIs and HUDs.

Dead Space was a huge success, critically and commercially, and stands as one of the few examples in recent years of a mainstream horror game done right. So do yourself a favour: lock yourself in your room, turn off the lights, put on some headphones, and check out Dead Space.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar
    When BioShock was first released on the Xbox 360 back in 2007, I was one of those PS3 owners who desperately wanted to play it – so much so that I frequently visited a friend who owned it just to experience what everyone was calling a "masterpiece."

As the spiritual successor to System Shock 2 it felt familiar, yet new and exciting; blending standard first-person shooting and light RPG and survival horror elements with an entirely unique setting; all tied together with one of the most thought-provoking narratives in gaming – one inspired by the writings of Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged) and George Orwell (Nineteen Eighty-Four), and which touched on topics like politics, economics, religion, and philosophy (particularly Rand’s “Objectivism”).

After crashing over the Atlantic, sometime in 1960, Jack (the primary protagonist) swims to a nearby lighthouse, where he discovers a pod that transports him to the fallen utopia of Rapture - a once vibrant underwater city constructed by objectivist business magnate Andrew Ryan, now reduced to a twisted, rotten shadow of its former self after it was torn apart by class warfare and greed.

While PS3 owners had to wait a little over a year to play BioShock, it was well worth the wait. The PS3 version included a number of features not seen in the 360 version, including a new challenge mode and DLC. It was also one of the first games to include trophies at release. With its refreshingly intellectual narrative, deep and engrossing gameplay, and its utterly unique setting, BioShock is a game everyone should try, even if only once.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant
    Valkyria Chronicles is the hidden gem of its generation. Developed by SEGA and released in 2008, this was one of the last titles to sneak in before trophies became a requirement. Taking place in the fictional nation of Gallia, our heroes Welkin and Alicia discover their country in disarray after the Eastern European Alliance invades. The story mirrors elements of World War 2, and explores the experiences of individuals who were just minding their own business when all hell broke loose.

Many people skipped Valkyria Chronicles because of its lack of trophies, while others have never even heard of it. What many PS3 owners missed out on is a brilliant game that mixes tactical role-playing elements, third person shooting, and job balancing to make each battle in the game its own amazing experience. Pairing the great gameplay with SEGA's beautiful CANVAS engine, the story unfolds like a watercolour novelette, with a story that keeps you engrossed with each dramatic turn of the page.

Valkyria Chronicles stands out for being a game that tried something different, and delivered on all fronts. A lack of trophies shouldn't keep anybody from playing this truly special game.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar
    Released in 2009 to critical acclaim, Demon’s Souls is a dark fantasy action RPG that features one of the most innovative online modes ever conceived; a deep, class-based combat system; and, at times, a very unforgiving difficulty.

In Demon’s Souls gameplay is king. While there is a story to follow, the impetus to do so is placed entirely upon the player. Instead, the focus is squarely on gameplay, and what a treat it is. After picking a class and customizing your appearance, you’re thrown right into the deep end. The game won’t hold your hand and explain everything to you, nor will it reassure you with platitudes or coddle you with ‘hints’ and ‘tips’; it will beat your ass into the ground mercilessly, and just when you think you’ve got the hang of it, it’ll do it again. Death is an integral mechanic, and you’ll need to learn quickly if you want to survive.

During your journey through the Kingdom of Boletaria, battling demons and worse, you will encounter phantoms – echoes of other intrepid heroes like yourself, each on their own journey, existing in parallel to your world. When they die in their world they leave bloodstains, which you can activate to witness your fallen comrade’s last few seconds of life, and hopefully avoid their fate, while more confident players can ‘invade’ other players’ worlds, and challenge them.

While the combat system, as well as the difficulty, non-linear structure, and the lack of a deep story might be intimidating, let me assure you that the online interactions, the deep customization, and memorable fights are all great reasons to give Demon’s Souls a try. Just be prepared to die. A lot.

Credits:

Toggle Spoiler

Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5
    Last edited by Faust; 01-19-2014 at 10:33 AM.

Deathless Destroyer

Resistance: Fall of Man
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, [I]120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 3 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

Youtube Channel

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

*insert Latin phrase*

Glad to see BioShock on there, I've always considered that game to be a masterpiece, as emotionally provoking as it is engrossing.

I can't wait for part 2, this feels like a lovely send-off of the last-gen Playstation.

Outdated Plat-bar by ThunderStick, sig by DaRe, avatar by ROBO3AG13
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel! Vote on my Playstation Grandmasterpiece HERE!

Notorious K.I.D.

Valkyria Chronicles was one of the first games I played when I got my PS3. May be the best game w/o trophies to come out this generation.
    Avatar by Djunglist---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Signature by Beam

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalman123 View Post
    I can't wait for part 2, this feels like a lovely send-off of the last-gen Playstation.
    That's pretty much the idea, given that many won't buy a PS4 just yet and others will surely keep giving their PS3 some use.

Change is good

The first three games on this list are my faves for sure, Resistance being my first PS3 game. And Bioshock is just a classic, I can't see it not being on anyone's top list.

Deathless Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by Luckay View Post
    The first three games on this list are my faves for sure, Resistance being my first PS3 game. And Bioshock is just a classic, I can't see it not being on anyone's top list.
    Never played Bioshock, but Resistance: FOM was the first game I got for PS3 (NFS: Carbon being the second).
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, [I]120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 3 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

Youtube Channel

Change is good

What's also sad is that now Dead Space has devolved into an action-packed sight-seer with Dead Space 3.

Trophy Guide Grand Master

Resistance was one of the first games I owned on my PS3 and my friends and I would spent countless hours on our weekly game nights, with no GF's or wives around just playing the co-op and talking shit....much more fun than playing the MP with some random pile of 10 year olds talking crap in the mic...ahhhh memories

Deathless Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyHasselhoff View Post
    Resistance was one of the first games I owned on my PS3 and my friends and I would spent countless hours on our weekly game nights, with no GF's or wives around just playing the co-op and talking shit....much more fun than playing the MP with some random pile of 10 year olds talking crap in the mic...ahhhh memories
    If only it came with trophies...

Youtube Channel

Let Me Watch

Never got to play Bioshock Not a fan of any of the other 4.
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

"Got more soul than a sock with a hole"

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Never played Resistance. Suppose I should get over my biased hatred of the GH package and get the double pack. It's a good deal. Glad to see Bioshock and Dead Space. Two of my most favorite series to come out of the PS3 generation. I have Demon's Souls, but still have to beat it. That just seems like a game I need a strategy guide with, which is something I haven't done since I was a kid. Kind of cool and nostalgic when I think about it.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Glad to see two of the games I own on there being resistance fall of man (which was my first game for the ps3) and dead space now to play games on my ps4 until there's games I want to play on my ps3 again
    Daniel Kelly

Negator

Solid list, even with the exclusion of Folklore.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Great idea this list, a tribute to PS3, i can't wait untill the rest of the list is revealed

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I would agree with resistance but personally i would of put The Eye of Judgment in the top 5 not everyones cup of tea but great gameplay and competition. Only downfall they removed the online now not much fun playing on your own or against the AI

PRO Member

Interesting choices. Why did you choose the beginning of each series btw?

Only one I don't really agree with is Valkyria Chronicles.. decent enough gameplay, sure, but the story, characters and pacing were terrible :/

If was going to list a few of my personal favorites I'd probably have to throw in Resistance 3, Clive Barker's Jericho, one of the GTA's (4?), Final Fantasy XIII-2 and either Farcry 3/Tomb Raider.

Might have to put some more thought into it lol. Can't even remember half of what I've played at this point

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlecDawesome View Post
    Never got to play Bioshock Not a fan of any of the other 4.
    Give us a few of your 'top 25' then. What are you into?

Let Me Watch

Quote Originally Posted by Outstandind View Post
    Give us a few of your 'top 25' then. What are you into?
    My top 5 would probably be
    Red Dead Redemption
    Fallout 3
    The Last of Us
    Skyrim
    Heavy Rain
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

"Got more soul than a sock with a hole"

PRO Member

happy to see Bioshock in there, but it would be nice to make an official poll and vote on the best games or some kind of competition or something.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast