Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PS3Trophies Checklist Spotlight #1 Interview - Neospoon

This is a discussion on PS3Trophies Checklist Spotlight #1 Interview - Neospoon within the Features and Editorials forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Congratulations on winning the first ever PS3Trophies Checklist Spotlight ! How do you feel? Originally Posted by neospoon I feel ...

Editor in Chief - Editorials

PS3Trophies Checklist Spotlight #1 Interview - Neospoon

Congratulations on winning the first ever PS3Trophies Checklist Spotlight! How do you feel?

Quote Originally Posted by neospoon
    I feel truly honored to win. To get nominated by other members of the forum and actually come out on top is something I can’t describe.

For those that don’t know you, tell us a bit about yourself.

I'm Phil, I'm 30 years old and live in the Netherlands. My not-so daytime job is working during day, evening and night as an ICT Engineer for the government, which also gives me quite a lot of free time.

Where did your screen name come from?

I tried to register the name “spoon,” but that was already taken back in 2009. The first thing that came up (don’t ask me how & why) was “neospoon.”

It's not related to a well-known movie
    Neospoon tells me that Spoon is a company that makes car parts for Honda cars.

What is your gaming background? When did you start gaming? What was your first console?

My first console was a PlayStation 1, bought with my first pay check from my first job as paperboy. After that I got a PlayStation 2 with Gran Turismo 3 for Christmas from my parents. The logical choice after that was a PlayStation 3 in 2009 which is still working today. I started collecting some older consoles after that and have a small collection, which includes a NES, a SNES, a Sega Mega Drive and some handhelds. I had a Wii and Xbox 360 I but sold them.

Your Checklist
    only dates back to 2013, but you got your console and earned your first trophy back in 2009 (Practice Makes Perfect in Tom Clancy’s H.A.W.X.) What happened in between that got you into trophies?
    I was into Call of Duty for most of the time, playing a lot online with some friends, not caring about other games or trophies, until one game really: Tomb Raider (2013). I just wanted the platinum for that game, although it wasn't my first platinum. That, and discovering PS3trophies.com and the community around earning trophies. After that I was immediately hooked on earning trophies and playing games for platinum - and I haven’t really played CoD since!

You sort of touched on my next question, but what brought you here to PS3Trophies.com?
    Tomb Raider and how to get the Deadeye trophy. I just couldn't get it! Shooting 10 enemies off zip lines seemed impossible at that moment. So I went searching for an answer and found it here. I guess the warm welcome and nice people kept me coming back

What’s more important to you: individual trophies, completion percentage, or platinums?
    It really depends on the game. I don’t care too much about the 100% unless it's a great game and I really want it. Some individual trophies are more satisfying by themselves, but in the end it's all about having fun and earning platinum trophies in the process. I am equally satisfied with a 100% platinum game as for example a 60% platinum game.

Does DLC factor into it for you?
    When I'm truly enjoying a game (RDR) I'll go for it, but most of the time not. I kind of quit buying DLC after my CoD streak, when I realized that you spend (at least in the case of CoD) the same amount of money throughout a year on DLC as you would on the game when it's released.

I couldn't help but notice that you've got some trophies hidden. What are they, and why did you hide them?
    I forgot about those! I think they are for some Guitar Hero games. I saw an option on PS3's XMB and tried to see what it did. Somehow it won't show back up when I put them to public again. I don't really mind showing them as I had a lot of fun playing those games at the time. If anyone knows how to get them visible again please let me know

What’s your favorite game genre?
    That's a tough one. I can say that sports games are my least favorite! But if I look at my games I would say 3rd person action/adventure/sandbox games, although I've been playing some racing and fighting games lately.

I see you have a PS Vita. How do you like it? What are some of your favorite games for it, and what would you recommend to someone who’s thinking about, or has just bought, a Vita?
    I absolutely love my Vita! I use it mostly when I have quiet night-shifts at work.
    Although I really haven't played a lot of games yet, I think Gravity Rush would be my favorite (I still need to play it a lot). The look and feel of that game is really nice.

I would first recommend getting PS+ with a Vita. That way it gives you some nice games from the start. I'm still discovering myself what games I would like to have for it. I'm really waiting for Borderlands 2 to come to Vita. I just haven't gotten the time yet to find some true gems for it although Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Killzone [Mercenaries] look great!

A last recommendation would be a grip for the Vita. The one that makes it sort of look like a PlayStation Controller - it makes it so much better!

Like many of those who voted for you, I’m a big fan of your comic book theme. What inspired your layout? Are you big on comics, and if so, what are some of your favourite comics/comic characters?
    I had a "normal looking" checklist first finding out how things worked, and was struggling with the code sometimes. So I thought working with images would be an easier way to go. It's funny you ask because I hardly read any comics nowadays. But one that comes to mind would be Flame of Recca.

I've always been drawing myself and wanted to create a comic someday, but that turned out to be a lot harder than you would think. So I guess this is my way of making that comic I always wanted.

I think I had the idea for the comic when I was on the toilet, the one place all great ideas seem to be created! It really was just a spin and I tried it, and seemed to work out good when I creating the panels on PC.

What inspired you to start your Checklist in the first place? Are there any Checklists that you drew inspiration from?

I decided to start my own checklist so I wouldn’t have to switch to the XMB every time I got a trophy. I was working with self-created Excel lists for my trophies on my laptop. That just didn’t work, and I really liked the idea of showing other people my hard-earned trophies.

When I was first creating my checklist I had viewed a couple of them, and tried to go from there. Somehow my list ended up being boring (for me at least) so I went looking for other checklists. That was when the Checklist of the Year competition started. I went and had a look at the top votes, and discovered ant1th3s1s’ and Terminal Phoenix's checklists. I think those two were the inspiration for doing something different to my own checklist. I still really like the look of those two checklists.

Have you got an epic trophy hunting story?
    I guess only an epic failure. I played Crysis 2 online for quite some time. We had a nice party going on and I was almost done for the Tooled up trophy. All other party members got the trophy and it glitched on my side. I haven't touched the game ever since. (having to grind the MP all over again ) But then again every game you play for platinum is an epic trophy hunter story

Do you plan on going back for that trophy, or will it forever be the one that got away?

Yes, definitely. I loved the game but got distracted by other games in the meantime. I saw some people that wanted to do some online play who also got the glitch, so yes, absolutely - just not now

What are your hardest, most fun, and most cherished platinums?

Even though I love Tomb Raider, I'd have to go with Red Dead Redemption as my most fun and cherished platinum. I got it after GTAV and thought it was actually better than that game. It will be even better when I get round to doing the DLC for that game (one of the few).

Hardest platinum is difficult, because Street Fighter x Tekken wasn't difficult just a real long grind (I don’t consider that as difficult, more annoying). I guess for me it was Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3. That game killed me on Special Ops so many times. Although I've got more problems with some games I'm almost done with right now

Proudest would also be RDR. Don’t ask me why because I don’t know, I think because that game had everything I could want from a game

“Hardest platinum is difficult” – I see what you did there!

What are your gaming goals looking forward? What would you like to accomplish?

I set my goal for the end of this year to be at 30 platinums. By the look of it that would be too low of a goal. Just get to 30 platinums first and go from there.

Besides that I really want to clean up my backlog. I still have so many games I would like to finish but that seems almost impossible with all the games that came out last year, and all games we get through PS+. I think if I can get half of all my games platinum before I go out and get a PS4, I would be happy. Maybe that is a good condition to go by. That way I may stop adding games to my backlog.

Once again you lead me to my next question: What are your thoughts on next-gen? Do you plan on buying a PS4 and, if so, when?

Next-gen looks really promising, but only that still. Until the major titles we all want come out. I had pre-ordered my PS4 back in June or July last year. When day 1 came, it wasn't there. Turned out that the shop I ordered at went bankrupt in the meantime. After that I felt like I still had so much to play on my PS3 I took the idea of buying one out of my head. For me that seems like the right decision, because all I see at the moment are ports from PS3 to PS4 or games that are also available on PS3. I will definitely get a PS4. When? Probably when Tom Clancy's The Division releases, that is a game I want to play.

I’m starting to think that you’re doing this on purpose, because my next question is: what games are you most looking forward to?
    Haha sorry about that

Beside The Division, I really don’t know. I heard there is going to be a Mass Effect 4. I just recently started on ME2 and it’s a great game, I'll put that on my “looking forward to” list. Destiny also looks really promising, as does Mirror's Edge 2.

I'll stop there before I accidentally answer the next question…

Any gaming regrets?
    Hmm I regret not getting PS+ sooner It would have saved me a lot of money

Okay people are going to look weird at me for this, but: Batman Arkham Asylum. It's supposed to be a great game, great story, great everything. It might be true, but I just can't get myself to playing that game. Don't get me wrong I love Batman and all of Gotham City personalities, but it's just not for me. I will go around and go for the platinum someday but not anywhere soon.

Another one is Terminator Salvation. I got the platinum, but for the wrong reason. I bought the game for the platinum and not for the game itself which for me is something I regret. I did like it a tiny bit but the reason for playing it was wrong.

Is there anyone you’d like to give a shout-out to?
    First of all, the people that voted for my checklist! THANK YOU: Elpoko, Artemis, Javro_07, ChrisValentine, Marccap, Vettes and Hitman.

Elpoko again for helping me loads on Street Fighter x Tekken.

Mad_Mardigan and SuperSonic for the nice chats on the forum.

ALL HAIL LEADER for drinking a beer for me when he got MGS4 plat

JABing for helping with Farcry 3.

PatienceOfKaori for helping with Borderlands and numerous other trophies.

ScaryAbel210 for helping with MW3 and GTAIV.

The staff of PS3trophies.com for this awesome site/forum. I know I'm missing people so everybody on here for being on here!

And last my cat "spoon" for having the name "spoon"

When can everyone expect to see your next update?
    I really like to keep it a bit of a surprise, but I gave away a hint on the banner. All that’s really left to say is drop by to say hello on the forums, I’m always in for a chat.

Check out Neospoon's Checklist for yourself!
    Last edited by Faust; 04-14-2014 at 10:42 AM.

Trophy Guide Kitten

I love it. You are a lot better at interviewing then me XD. I'll get this published and all that as soon as I can. Thank you so much Faust for the help
    K? Thanks

Trophy Guide Kitten

Up for the public. Enjoy
    K? Thanks

The Playboy Wikipedia

Great interview ya got there, Faust. I rather enjoyed it
    Amanda Cerny - Playboy's Miss October 2011

Credit to Saul (from another site) for the sig!

News Team

We have something in common, neospoon: my first trophy was also from HAWX . Great checklist and a nice interview by faust. I'd like to see more of these spotlights.

Toggle Spoiler

PRO Member

Thanks again to everybody involved, I really had fun giving the answers.
    Faust did a great job on the interview!

Quote Originally Posted by Vettes View Post
    We have something in common, neospoon: my first trophy was also from HAWX . Great checklist and a nice interview by faust. I'd like to see more of these spotlights.
    Really, thats nice, I can't even remember playing HAWX
    (I guess that was still in my I don't care about trophies days)

Working on: The next platinum trophy!

illegal in 9 countries

Beaut checklist Neospoon.
    Great interview Faust.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

PRO Member

Well done for winning the first checklist spotlight....Neat looking checklist and great interview

Lvl 7 - Gold

Enjoyed reading the interview Faust. your checklist is looking better every time you add to it neospoon. A well deserved Checklist Spotlight.

Hunter-Scholar-Gentleman

Congratulations neospoon. I enjoyed reading through your checklist and I hope to see you continuously push the envelope and improve on what I think is a great start to an impressive checklist. I loved the interview and the spotlight and I hope this site continues to do things like this moving forward. Keep up the great work neo and Faust.

The Road So Far And The Road Ahead
    `2nd place Trophy Checklist (2013)
    `Checklist Spotlight #2 Winner (2014)

Currently Playing
    `NFS Rivals [64%]
    `Diablo 3: Ultimate Ed. [0%]

Signature & Avatar
    `courtesy of DaRe_xLw

ADMlNlSTRATOR

Great looking checklist, and congrats on the win and an interesting interview!

Also, Faust did an ok job, I suppose.

Galaxy beauty pirate

Great interview and a fantastic checklist! Well done neospoon and Faust. I too, hope to see more interviews like this in the future.
    Sig by Ramon

KCCO!

@Neospoon, I love your checklist! It's refreshing, unique, and very well done.

@Faust, nice job on the interview questions! They were interesting and entertaining.

Jinx? ...Stands for Jinx!

Brilliant checklist, a really enjoyable read here ;D

Thanks to Luckay for this Signature and Dare_xLw Avatar. Thanks to RaveNScythE18 & Smashguy for the PPS userbar.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    @Neospoon, I love your checklist! It's refreshing, unique, and very well done.

@Faust, nice job on the interview questions! They were interesting and entertaining.
    ^^^This

Hope we see a few more of these as well.
    Sig and Avy made by Achantion
    Trophy Checklist

Lvl 4 - Silver

Congrats neospoon, awesome checklist you got there man, and great job on the interview Faust, enjoyable read! Hope to see more of these.

Dull Ember

A good read and a well deserved win, good job Neospoon.

PRO Member

I would really like to thank each and everyone of you for the nice words.
    I never knew my checklist was going to be so well received by all of you!

Although it has it's limitations, I'm really looking for a way to make it even better!
    I would love to add more comments for a game or something about how the panel got created, but need to find a way to do so.

@Faust,
    It looks like you've got a new job Thanks again for the interview, it was really fun to do!

Working on: The next platinum trophy!

Trophy Guide Grand Master

Good interview Faust and Neo, was a good read. Congrats on winning

I remember using that Tomb Raider guide as well

R.I.P Ps3 02/01/14 :(

What a fantastic read, great work Faust, as ever, and congrats Phil, well done mate. There are one or two things I can relate to in your interview, I found it really interesting. I'm just about to start Tomb Raider but not looking forward to the mp. Congrats again guys, well done

Sig and avy by the awesomely talented stupot00 and GDT bar by the excellent djunglist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast