Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Currently Playing (April 2014 Edition)

This is a discussion on Currently Playing (April 2014 Edition) within the Features and Editorials forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Editorial note: Starting this month, the reborn Editorial Team is launching a new monthly feature, tentatively titled "Currently Playing." I ...

Lord of all Goat-Men

Currently Playing (April 2014 Edition)

Editorial note: Starting this month, the reborn Editorial Team is launching a new monthly feature, tentatively titled "Currently Playing." I know, it's clever, right? Every month we'll be giving you our thoughts on recent games that we've been playing, as well as informing you about upcoming games that we're excited about.

At the moment, we're still working this all out, but we hope to have guest writers from time to time to keep things interesting, so if you want to contribute, shoot myself or one of the other ET members a message. We're more than happy to hear from anyone who has something interesting to say!

The format is also developing, so you can expect that it will only get better as the months go by. If you have any suggestions or requests, post them here or send us a message as well.

So without further ado...

ChrisValentine
    What I’ve Been Playing: Dark Souls II
    The Dark Souls franchise appears to have become more mainstream with the release of Dark Souls II, and that understandably has a few of the more “hardcore” Souls fans a bit weary. But I’m happy to let you (and them) know, it’s still damn brutal.

You still need to learn quickly, otherwise you’ll be seeing the “You Died” screen constantly; the tense atmosphere is still there as you enter an unknown area (sometimes enough for me to chicken out and find another way), or an area that you’re having trouble with and are dreading; the stunning views that lure you into relaxing are still there; and, of course, there are still plenty of countless brutal and soul-crushing ways for you to die if you stop paying attention for even a second.

I love Dark Souls II this time around, with one reason being the new system where if you kill an enemy a certain amount of times, they disappear from that area completely for that playthrough. So if you get really stuck (I do), you can just be stubborn and keep at it, slowly getting further and further each time, having to deal with less and less enemies. The sense of achievement from finally getting to the boss, summoning two other people to help you and then showing the boss... well, who’s boss, is unparalleled.

The community, as is normal for the Souls series, are incredibly helpful when it comes to summoning. Upon arriving in your world, 99% of them will bow or wave, and that for some reason seems to make a nice bond between them and yourself. Smash a challenging boss and you’ll be met with your summoned co-op character jumping for joy or waving. It’s a nice exchange, in an otherwise unforgiving game.

The Game I’m Dying to Play: Daylight

If you like being scared, you’ll want to keep an eye on Daylight, coming to PlayStation 4 by way of Zombie Studios. Imagine waking up in an abandoned Hospital with no idea why you’re there, and with nothing to help you but a light and map on your mobile phone… Pretty horrible isn’t it? Now imagine reliving that nightmare again, but the floorplan, the rooms, the enemies… all of it has changed. That’s what you face in Daylight, a procedurally-generated survival horror, which truly promises a unique experience, every time. Each new game you play is set up differently, so you won't know what’s coming until it happens…
    You need to survive this ever changing, haunted Hospital to uncover why you’re there and to hopefully escape the darkness and into the daylight.

Dark Souls II is available digitally and at retail.

Daylight will be available on April 29 on the PlayStation network.

Faust
    What I'm playing now...ish:
    BioShock Infinite

Late last month, my curiosity (and boredom) got the best of me. I was in the mood to shoot things and experience a great story, so I ascended that lighthouse, strapped myself in, and began my pilgrimage to that beautiful city in the sky in 2013's almost-Game of the Year: BioShock Infinite.

Now you might be wondering why it took me so long to play what was easily one of 2013's biggest titles, and that would be more than fair. The reasons for my ambivalence and hesitation were twofold: firstly, until recently I was attempting to reach 100% trophy completion on my profile, so I was waiting for a Game of the Year edition to be released so I could get the DLC, and therefore the trophies, all at once (but I gave up on that after EA screwed me out of the NFSMW plat!); and secondly, a number of friends, who were all fans of the original BioShock, had told me that Infinite didn't really hold a candle to its spiritual predecessor.

I'm roughly half-way through the campaign and, as things stand, I'm inclined to agree with their assessment. The world of Infinite is indeed breathtaking, the art-style is resplendent, and the voice acting is expertly performed and presented, but not once in the almost three weeks since I put down my controller after my initial play session have I felt even the slightest urge to return to Columbia.

The characters are engaging, but the story (so far) is not; and while decapitating someone with my Skyhook is certainly viscerally satisfying, the combat is unrewarding and monotonous, rather than empowering yet challenging, like I'd been promised.

I still have hope for BioShock Infinite, and I certainly intend to see Booker and Elizabeth's story through to its (allegedly) mind-breaking conclusion, but I'm not really in any great hurry...

Especially since I just got Goat Simulator Seriously, go play Goat Simulator. It's baaaaahdass.
    ...I'll let myself out.

What I'm frothing at the mouth for: Child of Light & The Wolf Among Us: Episode 3
    I've written plenty enough about it here, so I'll be brief: I'm stupidly excited for Ubisoft's upcoming RPG, Child of Light. The team behind it are incredibly talented; the art style is absolutely gorgeous; the gameplay promises a return to old-school RPG mechanics; and the narrative draws inspiration from the stories and fairy tales that defined my childhood. Did I mention its gorram pretty?

Alas, I'm forced to wait until the very end of the month before I can get my hands on it. If only there was something else coming out this month... Something in the next week or so; something small; more of an episode than a full game... Oh look! The Wolf Among Us: Episode 3 - A Crooked Mile is out this week!

If, like me, you love a good story, enjoyed Telltale's The Walking Dead, or have a fondness for the characters and creatures of folklore and fairy tales, The Wolf Among Us is a must-play. Its narrative twists and subversion of traditional characters like the Big Bad Wolf and the Little Mermaid are utterly compelling, and the morbid mystery engulfing Fabletown and its magical inhabitants will keep you guessing until its forthcoming conclusion.

BioShock Infinite is currently available for free to both North American and European Plus subscribers.

Child of Light
    will be available digitally on April 30 across all territories for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4. A special retail edition will also be available on April 30 for European and Australian gamers.

The Wolf Among Us: Episode 3 - A Crooked Mile
    is available now for all regions on the PlayStation Store.

Larrydavidsavatar
    What I'm mainly playing at this time:
    MGS V: Ground Zeroes & XCOM: Enemy Within

When I'm not tranquilizing and making piles of questionably-posed soldiers while playing the superb Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, I'm investing more and more of my time into XCOM: Enemy Within.

It takes one of my favourite titles of the past few years, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, and piles on the improvements and additions to its turn-based strategy awesomeness, creating something far better than I could have hoped for, and stealing even more of my hours in the process.

As in Enemy Unknown, the appeal for me is creating a squad made up of people I know, playing Ironman mode, and seeing who survives. This provides an instant narrative drama to each playthrough, and with the new depth in customisation, plus the introduction of Augmented and Mech Soldiers, the sheer amount of tales I can weave has become delightfully large, albeit limited to Aliens being smushed by robotic versions of my family members and the like.

What I'm looking forward to: Mercenary Kings

There's not a great deal I'm looking forward to this month, but the most intriguing title for me is Mercenary Kings, from the people who brought us the great side-scrolling, retro beat 'em up, Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World. This time we have a side-scrolling shooter with the same chunky retro sprites featured in their previous work and it's nodding very much in the general direction of Metal Slug.

I really enjoyed Scott Pilgrim, and Metal Slug has a simple yet highly enjoyable formula. That is what will entice me into trying it.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes is out now for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4, and is available at retail and digitally.

XCOM: Enemy Within is out now on PlayStation 3, and is available at retail and digitally. If you'd like to foray into the XCOM universe, its predecessor, Enemy Unknown, is free for Plus users in the US and Europe until June.

Mercenary Kings is out now on PlayStation 4 and is currently available as part of the Instant Game Collection to all Plus users.

Nagflar
    What I'm currently playing:
    Batman: Arkham City

Me being the cheap bastard that I am, I didn't bother buying Batman: Arkham City (a few hours of playtime at some department store were enough to quench my thirst for kicking ass in a bat suit), so it wasn't until a few weeks ago when I borrowed a friend's copy that I indulged myself with it. Sadly, as much as I enjoyed beating up people as the Bat, swiftly evading strikes and moving around moronic henchmen, said copy was scratched and my enjoyment was short-lived.

Come April this year and Sony added Batman: Arkham City to the PlayStation Plus instant game collection. Now I'm happily back in the crime-fighting business, in what has to be one of the most satisfying beat 'em up games of all time, featuring not only Batman himself but a wide array of villains and characters from the DC Universe, all in one formulaic story full of twists, bats, broken ribs and lots of punches. If you've yet to try this game, be sure to check it out; and if you've played it before, why not enjoy it once more? Even more so if you're still going after that plat!

What I'm looking forward to:
    JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle

Later this month JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle will finally be released, a little over 8 months after its original Japanese launch, and I couldn't be more interested and excited. After I started reading the manga volumes earlier this year, I've come to enjoy and love the many different characters, bizarre abilities and incredibly over-the-top action, and this game combines it all in one nice package, including over 30 beloved characters from the series, as well as their abilities. With so much awesomeness gathered together, not even a bad localization with horribly translated names can make me second-guess buying it - even more so with all the little details added to the game to make it feel even better for long-time JoJo fans.

Batman: Arkham City is currently available for free to North American Plus subscribers.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle
    will be available digitally and at retail on April 29 in North America, and April 25 in Europe and Australia.

So that's it from us this month. Tell us what you've been playing, and what games you're most looking forward to, this month in the comments below!

Last edited by Nagflar; 04-11-2014 at 02:02 PM.

That Southern B****

Good job, boyos. Can't wait to see what next month brings

Also: CV,I expect an awesome review for Daylight from you so I can figure out if I want to try it out or not And Fawst: Better late than never! Also, don't feel bad bout that ending as I still have no clue what was going on.
    Hitmon133: "Today's passage is taken from the Book of Coug. Chapter 56, Verse 46. >.>"

Epic Banner by Fawst <3

Toggle Spoiler

Trophy Huntin'

Pretty cool feature. I like it. It's always nice to see what others are playing and maybe find something worth your time as well.
    Keep up the good work, guys!

I for one have been playing The Wolf Among us (Currently on Episode 2) and Splinter Cell Blacklist. I know it's not any time soon, but I'm really excited for Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Looking for some new games? Check out the Trading post for some great deals!
    Latest Platinum: Batman: The Order 1886

Working On: PS4: Star Wars Battlefront and Rocket League
    PS3: Dishonored and Borderlands the Pre-Sequel
    Vita: Rainbow Moon and Hotline Miami 2

Galaxy beauty pirate

I like this idea as well. Might give me new ideas on what games I want to play.

I myself am looking forward to Child of light too, just like Faust. I'm also looking forward to TWAU and TWD 2, but I rather wait until all episodes are released. There are more games I look forward too, but they will release later this year. I'm gonna look into Jojo's bizarre adventure. If Nag didn't post about it, I would probably never have thought/know about the game.
    Sig by Ramon

Threat

Am definitely liking this
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

Change is mediocre

Fowsty pls, y u no likey bio inf ;-;

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Luckay View Post
    Fowsty pls, y u no likey bio inf ;-;
    Who can honestly blame him when the game's so repetitive and dull.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post

Certainly started feeling that more on the third playthrough. The story has little impact beyond the initial sitting and much like with Bioshock 2, the basic nature of the combat is laid naked once the mystery is removed.
    Still a pretty good game, as a package.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Larrydavidsavatar View Post
    Certainly started feeling that more on the third playthrough. The story has little impact beyond the initial sitting and much like with Bioshock 2, the basic nature of the combat is laid naked once the mystery is removed.
    Still a pretty good game, as a package.
    The story was well-written and all, but one could see half the plot twists coming halfway through, even more so if one's read stuff like 2001 (and its sequels) or The Garden of Forking Paths, or heck, even comicbooks. All of that put together makes the overall package lose some of its shine and makes the whole thing look above-average/good, but nothing more.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

The story was well-written and all, but one could see half the plot twists coming halfway through, even more so if one's read stuff like 2001 (and its sequels) or The Garden of Forking Paths, or heck, even comicbooks. All of that put together makes the overall package lose some of its shine and makes the whole thing look above-average/good, but nothing more.

I was reading The Dark Tower series at the time so that pretty much told what the jist was from the second i heard the quartet of musicians sing 'God Only Knows'. Happily, having it tied in with something i was really into, meant it was far more appealling as a result.

I'll certainly not rate it's story as highly as a few other games from last year. Metro: Last Light, The Last Of Us, Remember Me. They all told much better tales.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Awesome idea, guys! It's an interesting read and I might find some new games to try out. Very cool!

Change is mediocre

My boner for the game says otherwise

But no I agree, compared to the first bioshock game, the gameplay is just meh. I'm a huge sucker for detailed and breathtaking environments though.

DELTA CUBES, DELTA CUBES!

Quote Originally Posted by Luckay View Post
    My boner says otherwise

I'm a huge sucker for d
    Sheesh. Graphic.

Anyway, nice job rolling something out grays. I think most of us remaining like the editorials so keep them up.
    Avy by DaRe_xLw

Lvl 5 - Silver

Yeah, I have to say I like this feature too. Keep it up.
    The Jolly Green Giant
    Has a stable full of hos
    Except instead of ladies
    He pimps out potatoes

-Roast Beef

Notorious K.I.D.

Fantastic new feature guys, gives me something to look forward to every month.

Reading everyone's opinions on games I haven't had the chance to try yet gives me more input when I make my decisions.

Currently I'm playing Witch and the Hundred Knight and FF X HD. Can't say enough about FF X and Witch is turning out to be a new twist on NIS games with an action/hack-n-slash bent.

On a side note, I'm with Luckay on Bio:Inf. For me it was one of the best stories I experienced last year, regardless of how tedious the action turned out to be. This is of course with the caveat that i didn't play too many new games last year so I missed out on Metro or Last of Us.
    Avatar by Djunglist---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Signature by Beam

The Last of my Kind

Good job on the editorial, quite a immersing read. Good work Faust and team on bringing us these articles, looking forward to more in the future!

Thanks to LuckayCanadianShulckayMooseackey for this Signature & Elite Guild Bar. Thanks to RaveNScythE18 & Smashguy for the PPS userbar.

Buy my book, Alteration

I like this new feature, it's almost like mini reviews on-the-fly.

I thought Infinite was good, but I never felt connected to the universe like I did BioShock 1.

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

Lvl 7 - Gold

Yeah, i like this feature too, nice to know what others are playing and excited for.

I just bought Xtreme Legends Dynasty Warriors 8 on PS4, so i will be playing that the next weeks.

I will buy Bound By Flame, Child of Light , but i'm really excited for Diablo 3 coming to PS4

Editorial Team

Nice! I like this feature a lot! Not only will it give ideas on what games I might try next, it also gives a direct opinion from gamers, not just critics who get payed to say something.

Besides that it can lead to some interesting info/discussions like some of the things mentioned about Bioshock Infinite (which I still need to play)
    I'll be looking forward to the next "currently playing" Good work and keep it going!
    Working on: The next platinum trophy!
    come join the stream:
    http://www.twitch.tv/neospoon

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Cool idea, im actually playing right now killzone: shadow fall and switching between mercenary kings.

I really want to play lego marvel heroes, dunno why i love the lego games so much haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast