Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Top 5 Biggest Surprises from the E3 2014 Press Conferences

This is a discussion on Top 5 Biggest Surprises from the E3 2014 Press Conferences within the Features and Editorials forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; E3 is, without a doubt, one of my favourite times of the year. I love seeing all the new trailers, ...

You Know You Love Me

Top 5 Biggest Surprises from the E3 2014 Press Conferences

E3 is, without a doubt, one of my favourite times of the year. I love seeing all the new trailers, listening to enthusiastic devs chatting excitedly about their new projects, and the never-ending news cycle of announcements.

Most of all, though, I love the Press Conferences - those indulgent, corporate pantomimes full of flashy lights and dubstep, where middle-aged businessmen do their best to convince us that they're just as excited for the latest entry in an annual franchise as they were last year.

If we're being honest, they're really just 1-2 hour live informercials, full of wild promises and capitalistic jargon. And yet, once the lights go down and that first developer logo flashes on the screen, admit it, you're hooked. Because, after all, what it's really about, behind all the dramatic bollocks, is the games.

Before they start, pundits and viewers alike make predictions and proclamations about what will be shown and by who, but every year there are always a handful of announcements and appearances that catch us off guard; that surprise and excite us in equal measure, and that become the talking points with our friends for days.

Here's my pick of the biggest surprises to come out of this year's E3 press conferences:

1. Halo: Master Chief Collection

Yeah yeah, I know, "it's not PlayStation." Who cares? This is my list, I'll do what I want.

For a few months now it has been rumoured that a Halo 2 HD remaster was in the works, and in the last two weeks it was leaked that a Halo Collection for Xbox One might become a reality. When it was announced at Microsoft's conference, however, I don't think anyone had any idea just how truly comprehensive the collection would be.

Bundling every main Halo game in the franchise to date, the Master Chief collection presents all four games in their entirety! That's right. Full campaigns, full multiplayer suites with dedicated servers, all DLC content, a host of new features and additional content - even Forge mode for the much-loved Halo 2 - and all presented in stunning 1080p at 60fps.

This was easily the biggest news out of Microsoft's E3 showing, and a great reason to consider buying an Xbox One.

2. Far Cry 4 Co-op Reveal

Far Cry 3 was one of the best-received shooters in recent years, so it wasn't the least bit surprising when Ubisoft announced a sequel, Far Cry 4, last month. Many expected Ubi to show it at E3, and when their press conference started, the french publisher did just that. The 5 minute clip showed the opening moments of the campaign, and introduced us to the game's main antagonist, Pagan Min (played by the incomparable Troy Baker). The trailer was interesting, and certainly looked very pretty, but I needed something more to hook me, and so that segment left me largely unsatisfied.

And then it was Sony's turn...

At the Sony conference, Ubisoft debuted actual gameplay for their upcoming open-world shooter, and it looked gorgeous. But that's not even the best part! As the mission progressed, the player we'd all been watching was seamlessly joined by a friend, and all of a sudden the single-player campaign was now co-op!

The pièce de résistance was the announcement that, on PlayStation 4, friends would be able to join you in your campaign at anytime, without needing to own a copy of the game themselves! 'Nuff said, really.

3. Rainbow Six Siege debut

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six is a gem of a franchise that has been with us since the late 90s. The strategic shooter series was last seen in 2008 in the form of Rainbow Six: Vegas 2, but in November 2011, Ubisoft decided to preempt a leak by announcing Rainbow Six: Patriots, debuting preliminary gameplay footage which had a number of fans very excited.

Following the announcement, however, Patriots suffered a number of development setbacks, and soon faded into development hell. Rumours of the games demise circulated, and in December 2013 they were all but confirmed when Ubisoft finally spoke about the game, revealing that Patriots "had to be remade," and that it might not even be called 'Patriots' anymore.

As I sat down to watch Ubisoft's press conference, I was mostly occupied by thoughts of Assassin's Creed: Unity, maybe a new Rayman game, and a desire to see something, anything, about the rumoured Assassin's Creed: Comet, so when Ubi president Yves Guillemot came on stage to show "one more game," a Rainbow Six game was the furthest thing from my mind.

The footage displayed was pre-alpha, and most likely tightly scripted, but Rainbow Six Siege has quickly leapt to the top of my list of most-anticipated games, evoking a more hardcore version of Counter-Strike's Hostage Rescue mode that really appeals to me.

For the record, following the announcement, Ubisoft officially confirmed that Patriots has been cancelled.

4. PSN game 'Entwined' announced, then released!

E3, in many ways, is like a strip-tease. There's a lot of looking, a lot of desiring, but not a whole lot of touching. Many of the awesome games on display won't be on shelves until 2015, so this next one was something I don't think anyone saw coming.

During their presentation, Sony announced a new digital title called Entwined - "a beautiful, addictive and abstract action/arcade game about two souls who are in love but that can’t be together. These souls are represented by a bird and a fish, which you must learn to control simultaneously. Over the course of nine lifetimes you will help these two characters come together with the eventual goal of uniting them for eternity."

At the conclusion of their segment, PlayStation's Scott Rohde dropped a bombshell: Entwined wasn't targeting a Q1 2015 release window; it wasn't coming out these Holidays; it was releasing, on PlayStation 4, right now, with PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita versions to follow shortly.

Now, you might not be interested in Entwined (and that's ok, lots of people don't have souls), but the idea of developers circumventing all the pre-release hype and pre-order bollocks in favour of just releasing their game should have everyone cheering. It's an important step for the industry, and its one I hope other studios emulate.

5. Grim Fandango remastered on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita

Out of all game genres, my favourite has to be the Adventure game. Over the past two decades the genre has transformed dramatically from text-based games like Zork to cinematic blockbusters like Uncharted, but I'll always hold a special place in my heart for Point-and-Clicks.

Back in their day, LucasArts were pioneers of the genre, and were responsible for some of the best point-and-click games of all time; games like The Secret of Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion, and Sam & Max Hit the Road. Out of all of these fantastic games, however, my favourite of the whole bunch was easily Tim Schafer's Grim Fandango.

A black comedy noir heavily influenced by Latin American culture, Grim Fandango is set in the Land of the Dead, where the righteous pass through on their way to the Afterlife, while sinners are forced to take a four-year pilgrimage. You play as Manny Calavera, a travel agent at the Department of Death, on a quest to find the lovely Meche, after she's wrongly sent on the pilgrimage.

It's been over 15 years since its release, so naturally it's not a game anyone expected to hear about at an E3 conference, and that's exactly what Sony were counting on when Adam Boyes took the stage...

The response to the announcement of a Grim Fandango remaster was a huge roar from the crowd; one which was unquestionably drowned out by my own hysterics. I still almost can't believe it.

I'm not the only one surprised by what I saw from the E3 press conferences, so I'll let some of the other staff share their stories...

Nagflar: New Zelda

Ah, E3, the time of the year where we all expect publishers and developers to show us what they've got. As per usual, Nintendo was on the spotlight, but this time around for the wrong reasons: The Wii U has been failing to meet success, and they seem to want to continue supporting it. Naturally, that involves giving people games to play, but with everyone complaining about them being so stuck up their own asses (me being very vocal about it, too), just another entry on one of their 20 year old franchises wasn't going to cut it.

Today, they showed this:

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

I've been a huge Legend of Zelda fan for a while, having played every console game since the original, and even though I enjoy them immensely, every new entry brings with it repetition and the constant argument about it being the same game over again, which is obviously a huge issue, to the point that the last entry I actually paid for was Ocarina of Time back on the Nintendo 64.

This, however, looks and promises to be different. The open world itself is a very nice addition not really found on previous games, for even though Wind Waker boasted a massive world map, it wasn't exactly the most open-worlded thing out there. Let's add the fact that Nintendo is promising that you'll be able to complete dungeons in whatever order you wish and in different ways, and the formulaic repetitiveness of the franchise is already fading away, making this new title something different on its own right, and not just because it has a slightly different story or villain.

Then there's the artstyle, which looks similar to that of Skyward Sword, which was gorgeous (for even if the Wii's graphical prowess is that of a potato and put to shame by your average Texas Instruments calculator, the game still looked beautiful). The trailer above shows us just how good the world map is apparently going to look, with what appears to be in-game footage, so there's really no excuse to not be hyped for the new Zelda title (unless you're not a fan and/or a Nintendo hater). Now we just play the waiting game, and hope Nintendo delivers.

Larrydavidsavatar: Dead Island 2

I was surprised to see this delightfully goofy trailer for Dead Island 2 come up, mainly because many, myself included, thought that Dead Island spiritual cousin Dying Light had developers Techland busy over at Warner Bros, as well as the fact that I considered 2013's flawed Dead Island: Riptide to be the actual Dead Island 2. But here it is, in the hands of Yager and Deep Silver instead, and harnessing the grunt of PS4 to boot.

A blood and sun-drenched California will be Dead Island's new setting, one that seems quite large in comparison to the previous games.

Hopefully Yager don't leave in quite as many bugs as Techland did with Riptide, because I would genuinely be excited to play a better looking, more expansive, bug-free Dead Island. Zombie Drive-By anyone?

So what about the press conferences this year surprised you? Let us know in the comments below.

For all your E3 news, head on over to our Official News Hub, where we're collecting all the major announcements and trailers coming out of the L.A. Convention Center.

Lvl 8 - Gold

wait wait wait a minute we don't even need a copy of farcry 4 to play it if a friend owns it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOLT CRAP BATMAN....I wonder tho if the person without the game will get trophies.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Man-023 View Post
    wait wait wait a minute we don't even need a copy of farcry 4 to play it if a friend owns it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOLT CRAP BATMAN....I wonder tho if the person without the game will get trophies.
    I was wondering the same thing but it won't matter to me since I will be buying it anyway since my birthday is only 3 days after its release. I can see its going to be a good birthday.

PRO Member

Only one thing surprised me, and it was Hello Games' No Man's Sky. Everything else was either expected (ie. Uncharted 4), didn't show enough (ie. Bloodborne), or simply isn't of interest to me (sports? hehe). That being said, No Man's Sky didn't show enough either, as I still have a ton of questions, yet it did show enough to plant a seed of hope
    <signature>
    [Insert garbage no one gives two fucks about]
    </signature>

You Know You Love Me

Quote Originally Posted by Shuklar View Post
    Only one thing surprised me, and it was Hello Games' No Man's Sky. Everything else was either expected (ie. Uncharted 4), didn't show enough (ie. Bloodborne), or simply isn't of interest to me (sports? hehe). That being said, No Man's Sky didn't show enough either, as I still have a ton of questions, yet it did show enough to plant a seed of hope
    Just to clarify (because you and a number of other people don't seem to know - forgive me if that's not right), No Man's Sky was revealed way back in December 2013 at the VGX. The only new information about it from E3, so far, is that it is confirmed to be on PlayStation 4.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Just to clarify (because you and a number of other people don't seem to know - forgive me if that's not right), No Man's Sky was revealed way back in December 2013 at the VGX. The only new information about it from E3, so far, is that it is confirmed to be on PlayStation 4.
    Ahh. It was news to me. I don't watch Spike or VGX (or have cable for that matter), and must have missed any of the reports of it existing while laughing at the news that their 'panel of industry veterans' gave' "shooter of 2013" to Bioshock Infinite over Metro: Last Light. Still makes me laugh.

Hopefully this just means more details will come sooner than later. Really excited for the game, as atmospheric flight is something I've always wanted, and space exploration & planet hopping in this form is virtually unheard of on consoles.
    <signature>
    [Insert garbage no one gives two fucks about]
    </signature>

Lvl 9 - Gold

The new Zelda game reminds me of a Suda 51 game graphical wise. I was hoping for something more graphical but it still looks cool. Without having a set path and being able to go whichever way you choose I think it will make the game to easy. I always find satisfaction when I got that one key or trinket that would unlock the next part in the Zelda game.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuklar View Post
    Probably my favourite game of E3 bar MGS V, the potenial shown in that gameplay
    trailer left me with a real sense of wonder and excitement. Did remember seeng it in December and thinking it seemed interesting, but the E3 trailer solidified it high up my most wanted list.

illegal in 9 countries

Zelda. 2015. About. Fucking. Time.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

R.I.P Ellie

Dead Island 2?! Sweeet.
    I wonder how Far Cry 4 co-op will work?

Good job guys, for all of E3 so far!

PRO Member

I did love Entwined being announced and released immediately. I'm going to buy it on Friday just because they did it, maybe they will see that that kind of cool "announce then release" brings immediate money.

Lvl 4 - Silver

I was really happy when they announced Grim Fandango remake. also for those who haven't heard FF type 0 HD will be released on PS4 for NA & EU.

Change is good

Grim Fandango and Dead Island 2 for me were the most surprising. Tim Schafer's a god and Deep Silver does it again with showing nothing about their game in the trailer. I also don't know why they'd make two games at once with Dying Light releasing some time soon.

CMN
    PS4 - Christmas 2014

Dead Island 2 will be one of my first Ps4 games. Nuff said.

Did I miss the confirmed Valve/Sony project?

Sig and Avatar from one of the Elite, Dare
    WWE Favorite TEN (Active Performers, Updated Every Week) - Bad News Barrett, Bray Wyatt, Seth Rollins, Dean Ambrose, Bo Dallas, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Sami Zayn, Luke Harper, Cesaro

Currently Playing/Working On: Call of Duty Ghosts (Xbox One/360), NBA 2K14 (Xbox One), Killzone 2 (PS3), Remember Me (PS3), WWE 2K14 (PS3)

*insert Latin phrase*

That Far Cry "you don't need the game to play with a friend" was really surprising! I may take advantage of that deal with my friends...

I loved the LBP 3 surprise, did not expect it to appear on-stage with an immediate demo! I have much excite!

I was also surprised at the Master Chief Collection. It made me consider an Xbox. Probably won't get it, but that's still a mammoth deal.

Outdated Plat-bar by ThunderStick, sig by DaRe, avatar by ROBO3AG13
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel! Vote on my Playstation Grandmasterpiece HERE!

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by CMN View Post
    Did I miss the confirmed Valve/Sony project?
    No, they never showed anything. GameInformer might've been taking the piss.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 9 - Gold

The FarCry 4 co-op friends not needing the game may feature in all PS4 games. I seen it somewhere but I cannot find the "rumor" now. I guess that's what I get for having it checked to delete history when I close my browser.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Roo Commander

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalman123 View Post
    I loved the LBP 3 surprise, did not expect it to appear on-stage with an immediate demo! I have much excite!
    Yeah and the bigger surprise is it's out in November

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

BEEP BOOP BORP

The new R6 looks interesting, like it's going back to its roots as a hyper-tactical realistic thing.

I was really excited for Payday 2 DLC for PS3 (FINALLY). And what ever happened to Tony Hawk games? I think it's about time for a new one of those...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast