Interview - DragonWolfVII (Checklist Spotlight #3)

This is a discussion on Interview - DragonWolfVII (Checklist Spotlight #3) within the Features and Editorials forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Editor's foreword: Hey folks, and welcome to 3rd Checklist Spotlight! This time around you selected DragonWolfVII 's checklist as one ...

You Know You Love Me

Interview - DragonWolfVII (Checklist Spotlight #3)

Editor's foreword:
    Hey folks, and welcome to 3rd Checklist Spotlight! This time around you selected DragonWolfVII's checklist as one of the site's best, so I sat down with him (well, I sat down - and I'm almost positive he sat down - and then we Skyped...) to talk about his checklist, trophies, and... well, just read it.

Congratulations on winning the Checklist Spotlight #3! How do you feel?

Quote Originally Posted by DragonWolfVII
    Completely surprised and humbled. I started my checklist mainly for personal reasons and carried it on as a hobby. There are plenty of other checklists out there that are much neater, better organized and a lot more attractive than mine, yet somehow I managed to grab the votes. Totally shocked me.
    Humble. I like that. Tell us a bit about yourself.

Well, my real name is Calum but everyone calls me Cal. I'm 27 years young and I live in a small town called Rowley Regis, which is just outside of Birmingham, England. I'm a married man of 2 years and we have a daughter on the way, due in November.

I'm obviously a big gamer, but outside of that I am a big sports fan. Football, MMA, wrestling, etc.. I also love working out; I usually hit the gym at least 4 times a week, usually 5. My job is irrelevant, I have no interest in it whatsoever. I work nights and I work my ass off to pay the bills. It’s an evil necessity.
    Congratulations on the baby! You must be very excited. Are you going to get her into gaming?

Thank you very much. Well excited. She’ll have little choice, I'm afraid. I've been a gamer most of my life so I'm not about to give it up. My wife also likes to game every now and then, so she's going to be brought up around it.
    Well that sounds like a great space to grow up. What sort of games is your wife into? Do you two play games together?

She grew up playing the Marios and Mario Karts on the SNES, and to this day she still loves them. She dabbled with Zelda but couldn't get into it and to this day I still give her a hard time over it. I brought her a DS years ago and she occasionally puts that on and plays various Mario's on that.

As for PS3, we have always, always played the LEGO games together. Every time a new one comes out we'll pick it up and earn the platinum together on it. Other than that she loves kiddy games. Most of my kiddy plats have come from playing co-op with her, or a "you go, I'll go" method on single player games. We actually have The Smurfs 2 ready to start soon while we wait for LEGO Batman 3. And no... I'm not ashamed.
    Nor should you be! That sounds rad. What sort of games are you into, then? What's your favourite genre? What do you look for in a game?

I'll give almost anything a go to be honest, except fighters. I've never been brilliant at them and just don't have the patience to learn. I'll even admit to purposefully seeking out quick and easy platinum's (trophies changed everything!)

But my favourite genre is, and always will be, RPG's. Getting lost in a mythical or fictional world for hundreds of hours is my idea of heaven. My favourite series is the Final Fantasy series. I can play those over and over again and never get bored. Pre-PS3, that is. As much as I like FFXIII and XIII-2 (not played XIII-3 yet), they just don't hold up to the PSOne and SNES games.

(stats courtesy of TrueTrophies)

I'm a big fan of RPGs as a concept, but recently I've struggled to find one that truly immerses me and holds my attention for any meaningful length of time (I think the last one I truly enjoyed was FFXII). What're your top three recent RPGs that you'd recommend to someone like me?

Recent... I would have to go with Skyrim, Borderlands 2 and Dragon Age Origins. Skyrim was just breath taking. After the first real quest the entire world opens up to you, giving you an unbelievable sense of freedom. It can be sightly overwhelming to not have a clear, set path, but once you get used to the fact you can do almost anything and go almost anywhere it becomes an amazing gaming experience.

Dragon Age Origins is set out similar to Skyrim but it’s much more linear. Not to say it’s linear at all, but compared to Skyrim it is. It has a very good story with multiple endings and a nice little relationship factor which keeps the dialogue interesting.

Borderlands 2 is just epic. I think they class it as RPS (Role Playing Shooter)? It’s easy to get to grips with, the variations of guns you can get is almost limitless, the co-op is done incredibly well and the story and humour in the game is fantastic. You'll keep playing purely to hear what Tiny Tina and Handsome Jack have to say... and Mad Moxxi's perfectly plump cell shaded boobs (perv much?).
    I suppose at some point in this interview we should talk about Checklists, so let's.

You mentioned at the beginning that you started your checklist for personal reasons; care to elaborate?

I guess that sounded more interesting than it was meant to. I originally started my checklist a year or so before the site meltdown, when checklists were extremely popular. I thought it was an interesting idea and I loved the lists of Denaratuck and ONUOsFan. I think ONUOsFan had the most popular list going at the time.

I started mine purely to keep track of my own gaming history on the PS3, a place where I could keep my thoughts and express my own idea's. Whether I managed to get 1 view or 1000 views, it didn't really matter to me, it was a place for me. I was absolutely gutted when the site went down. I, along with thousands of other members and staff lost a lot, but I was determined to get it back up and running again.
    And that you did, mate! Apart from being one of the oldest Checklists on the site, yours is also the most viewed and the most commented upon.

What is it about your checklist that keeps people interested and coming back for more, and what advice do you have for someone looking to start a checklist of their own?

I still can't believe it. It’s totally beyond me how my checklist got as popular as it is. I went through a period of times where I was blasting out platinum's left, right and center so my list was constantly getting updated. Even if I play a long game I like to give updates maybe once a week or so just to document where about I am in the game and what I have left to do. My updates obviously get me views and comments just like any recently updated post.

As for advice, be active in the checklist community. Comment on and congratulate other people on their achievements and progress. Why should you get comments and views if you aren't willing to do the same for other people who have worked just as hard on their checklists as you have?

Other than that, just be yourself. Play what you want to play, not what the public deems suitable to play. Just because person A or person B thinks it’s only acceptable to play Ninja Gaiden because the difficulty level is insane doesn't mean you can't have a tonne of fun playing The Walking Dead, or a LEGO game even if the difficulty is extremely low. Don't bend to peer-pressure and just play what makes you happy.
    What would you say is the best thing about having a checklist?

I mentioned this before in a previous answer, it’s the personal space. It’s my space; it’s where I can share my thoughts and my insights into the games I play. As much as I love knowing I have the most viewed checklist it wouldn't matter to me if I was overtaken tomorrow. It’s a place where I can document what I feel and experience with a game whether I get views and replies or not. Sort of a gaming biography...
    That's cool. You have a huge collection of plats, so I have to ask: what do you do with your games when you finish with them? Do you collect?

I used to collect, but gaming is so expensive these days and with bills and every day necessary spending on top it’s hard to find the cash to buy new games. So I trade them in now. Once I achieve the platinum on a game I'll find the best trade in price and trade in to my local GAME store, they beat any local trade in price by 1 so I'm always getting the best deal possible.

The one set of games I do collect are the Final Fantasy games. I still have every single one I ever brought (including 3 copies of FFVIII as 2 of them stopped working).
    So clearly you're a big FF fan. What're your top 5?

1) FFVII
    2) FFX
    3) FFIX
    4) FFVIII
    5) FFVI

I'm probably going to get stick for the placement of FFVI but there is literally half a percent between #2 and #5. Being from England we never got a release of FFVI and it wasn't until I managed to grab an emulator that I was able to experience it. Then it was released in 2002 on the PSOne. If I had played it on release I've no doubt it would have been #1. But my first was FFVII, it got me into the series and was the first real game to make me feel for its characters. It will always be #1 in my eyes.
    I think you meant to include FFXII (the greatest of all the FFs) on that list, but I'll forgive that oversight. What got you into trophies? What're your proudest/hardest/easiest/favourite plats?

Haha, I love FFXII - I love all of the FF games - but it doesn't quite crack my top 5.

WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW 2010 originally got me into trophies. Or should I say a friend who was also playing it got me into trophies. I logged on one day to see a little message above his name stating "WWE 2010 100%". I'm a very competitive guy, how dare he have 100% and not me. So I set my sights on getting the platinum for it, which led me to this site and I've been here ever since.

I would have to say my proudest and hardest platinum would have to be EA Sports Active 2.0. Not only is it incredibly rare (now unachievable) but the physical effort you have to put into it is unreal. It takes roughly 200 hours of jogging, crouching and jumping on the spot to nail 3 bronze trophies!

My easiest platinum...and I have a lot....would have to go to Time Leap (Japanese Visual Novel). Using a guide to get the correct set up is the only work you have to do, all you do after that is hold skip/fast forward for 3 hours. Used it to boost my trophies during a trophy competition.

My favourite platinum is one I recently achieved. Final Fantasy X. The only way any platinum will overtake that as my favourite is if they release FFVII, which is never going to happen.
    How many plats does your friend have now?

One... lol. Think I just about won that race.
    I’d have to agree with you on that one...

So you're at 120 platinums now. Have you got a target number in mind? Will you ever stop hunting?

121 I don't have a number in mind. I earn platinum's because I enjoy earning them. When I stop enjoying it I'll stop hunting, but I can't see that happening any time soon. I have down time occasionally. Like recently, I haven't actually played anything for over 2 weeks. Work has been insane and when I haven't been there I've been watching and catching up on the World Cup. Now that’s over hopefully I'll start getting a bit more time again.

Clockwise: Games by platform, Completion Percentage, Trophy Breakdown, Trophy Rarity
    (stats courtesy of PSN Profiles)

How has the now-current generation been treating you, and what are your thoughts on it so far?

So far I'm quite disappointed. Except for a select few most titles are available on the PS3. I can't comment too much as I haven't played a great deal on it, but the 2 games I have played are vastly better on the PS4. Those being FIFA 14 and Final Fantasy XIV. The frame rate on FFXIV is so much better on the PS4 in comparison to the PS3, it’s so much more detailed and crisp. It makes the gaming experience much better. I am currently saving for FIFA 15 which will more than likely be my next PS4 purchase, other than PS Plus games of course.
    As always, I've fielded a few questions from the community to close us out.

BALLZ wants to know when you and your Full English team are going to face him again?

Haha, any time! It would take some arranging though. Stu and John aren't as active these days on the site. I still talk to them over PSN though so I may be able to convince them. But the way BALLZ is knocking out plats it would be a lost cause anyway, the dudes a friggin' machine.
    Amen.

Artemis would like to know what keeps you coming back here?

This place is my home man, I'd never leave. It sucks that the site is less popular these days but I love it here. The community rocks. I may not be the most well-known person out there but I'm happy to talk to anyone at any time about gaming, life, anything. The guides are also top notch, we still have some of the best guide writers out there.
    Alright man, I think that just about wraps it up. Anything you'd like to say to the folks at home? Any shoutouts?

First a huge thank you to yourself and Comp. Putting all this effort into re-igniting some life into the Checklist community is amazing, and I am sure Checklist owners on the site including myself appreciate it greatly.

Always going to give shoutouts to my boys from Full English: john3007 and stupot, for constant help and support with boosting etc.

Deneratuck, my old nemesis Not spoken for a while but he is one of the reasons I created a checklist, and one of the reasons I have so many platinum's today. We were always comparing trophies, trying to outdo each other.

Icebrand1270. We speak occasionally but he, like you and Comp has tried to rejuvenate the Checklist community with his 10k Checklist Elite group. He regularly keeps on top of it and always has words of encouragement.

Lastly, everyone who voted for me, commented on or even visited my checklist. Without you I'd just be a sad dude writing to himself.

I sincerely apologise if I've missed anyone. There are so many people I'd like to thank personally.

If you haven't already checked out DragonWolfVII's checklist (and somehow managed to miss the links I've embedded around the interview), you should totally go do that right now. Just make sure you grab a snack first - it's quite a long read...
    Last edited by Faust; 08-01-2014 at 10:56 AM.

R.I.P Ellie

Biiiiiiiirminghaaam eh? Had some awesome nights out there
    You do what I do with GAME too, finish and Trade In... plus the girl in mine is quite nice

Good interview Fausty, I like the graph ideas too!

Good News, Everyone!

Great as usual, faust. Nice to see things from the perspective of an older member.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Great Interview. Any Ideas for when you hit plat 150? Hopefully I will get my revenge on Full English soon but if this competition goes down against another site we will need you 3 to get in on it.

Toggle Spoiler

Sig and Avatar By djunglist

My Youtube interview done by KingSuperOne(subscribe)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SAMFW-gDNs

Back to reality...

Brilliant checklist & interview! Really enjoyable read here!

Signature made by dsluckay & PPS bar made by RaveNScythE18

Lvl 4 - Silver

Interesting read. Make's me understand more why their are so many checklist's and why people put their time into them. Maybe one day I'll give it a shot too. Great interview Faust and congratulations DragonWolfVII on building an amazing checklist!

Flesh is heretic /
    My body is a witch /
    I am burning it

Hello

PS420

Awesome interview guys. I really enjoyed it and glad DragonWolf got some spotlight. His list has always been a great one and he constantly updates it (unlike someone I know...)

Really awesome though. Congrats!

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Beast Incarnate

Thanks for all the kind words guys, and thanks to Faust again for the interview, great experience.

As for #150 BALLZ I haven't actually thought about it yet, its still quite a way off. Maybe something huge like FFXIV (if I ever manage to get it!)

Notorious K.I.D.

Couldn't have happened to a more deserving dude, congrats DW. Loving the look of these interviews Faust, keep them coming.
    Avatar by Djunglist---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Signature by Beam

PRO Member

Great interview DragonWolf and Faust!
    A sincere thank you from DragonWolf for the shoutout. I don't deserve anywhere near the credit Faust and Comp do for the checklist side of the site but I appreciate the recognition from the Champion of the Checklist!
    Let's see more votes next time!

Avy by DaRe
    Ribbon by Beam

"It's not the critic who counts. The credit goes to the man who is actually in the arena." --
    Theodore Roosevelt.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Great interview, great checklist, nuff said.

Hunter-Scholar-Gentleman

Congratulations big guy. You have the oldest and the most active checklist on this site and we appreciate your company. Great interview Faust (as always). Happy gaming!

The Road So Far And The Road Ahead
    `2nd place Trophy Checklist (2013)
    `Checklist Spotlight #2 Winner (2014)

Currently Playing
    `Assassin's Creed: Rogue [11%]
    `Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
    [0%]
    Signature & Avatar
    `courtesy of DaRe_xLw

Beast Incarnate

Thanks guys. And the shout out is more than deserved Icebrand, although not as well known (due to the fact you need 10k views to get in the group) I still appreciate the work you do to maintain it

Needs More Rum

Great interview and congrats on the win Dragon, well deserving

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

Galaxy beauty pirate

Great interview both and congrats on winning cotm! Always nice to get to know people better.
    FF VII is my fave FF too (first one I played).
    Sig by Ramon

Platinum Procrastinator

Toggle Spoiler

Well its nice to see you get some recognition for having such an active checklist. I don't know if I'll ever get back to updating mine or even coming close to catching you again. I really do appreciate the shout out though as I can remember the days when I was ahead of both you and Dr. Mayus but now you guys are pretty much double me in terms of plats haha.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

PRO Member

wolfy's famous now ..well done man and keep up the good work

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Congrats for the checklist spotlight wolf! I remember a lot of our great checklists before the "big boom of 2011" that wiped out everything and glad to see a lot of peoples continued them on and made them even more spectacular. I know at some point I'll do more with mine but I always look at yours to see what you've done and just amazed at what you've accomplished. Keep on gaming and good luck with the family
    Haven't updated anything on here since the site went down a year ago with the new servers so lost all my friends and post counts and everything looking to help and get help with games and trophies

http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/tr...checklist.html My Trophy checklist

La Mano de Dios

Great interview, as always! I enjoy reading this because, besides getting to know more about the players from this community, it brings much of the human element that makes everyone so unique. It's really interesting to read all these stories, as sometimes I can't avoid to feel identified with some.

Congrats to both, interviewer and interviewed ... Keep up the great work

Beast Incarnate

Thanks a lot guys, much appreciated.