My So-Called Platinum Life.

This is a discussion on My So-Called Platinum Life. within the Features and Editorials forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; As I gazed at my trophy list yesterday, I had a wave of warming nostalgic happiness spread over me. I ...

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

My So-Called Platinum Life.

As I gazed at my trophy list yesterday, I had a wave of warming nostalgic happiness spread over me. I reminisced the Plats I had achieved and smiled to myself (for a bit too long apparently as my wife wondered if I had gone catatonic).
    Once I wiped the pooling drool from my slackened mouth, I had this musing and decided to share it/waste your time.

I'll never forget the moment the true joy of getting a Platinum clicked for me. It occured when I earned my second one and became part of the Burnout Paradise Elite, all thanks to my newborn son being ever so terrible at sleeping.
    I felt like a Kingpin when that final ding went off as the majestic Platinum Trophy appeared. More than that, I felt like the Ultimate Player.(In truth I was fortunate to remember getting it at all, given how little sleep I was getting). Sure, I was miles from being Top Of The Heap, but for that brief moment, I was a Complete Hero. The joy of accomplishment for playing something so fun and being rewarded for it was much greater than the forced WWE Plat I got before it.

Time went on, the Plats slowly built up. During a particulary busy time in my trophy-grabbing peak of 2012 , I ventured back to pastures old, returning to my long since abandoned attempt at taming Pandora to become a Borderland Defender. A month or so later, it was All Hands On Deck for Borderland Defender Round Two. A long slog that left me feeling like The Walking Dead, but onward I pushed,compelled to add to my humble collection of non-existent prizes.
    Later that year, even as I found myself twice chuckling because of the lame pun trophy title of '' One Ring To Build Them All'' as I attained The Lego Lord Of The Rings Plat on two formats, I was finding it to be more of a chore than a fun thing to do. I was cursing the trudging about, finding those last collectables, doing things I normally wouldn't bother with.

Was it really worth it? Knowing that you can never reach the Top Of The Heap, and in truth, I no longer got that feeling of being a Complete Hero that punctuated earlier triumphs. Far Cry 3 somewhat dried up the joy well by having a bollocks co-op mode prevent me from obtaining its shiniest of virtual trophies. It was the final straw.The magic had gone.The Plats soon dried up. Though obviously, I continued to play games as happily as ever for sheer enjoyment through gameplay.

Then, in mid-2014, a mere month after setting up a Trophy Checklist for ''fun'', I started getting Plats once more. Suddenly, Everything Is Awesome again in my world of Plat-hunting, as I finally Mastered The Jungle in Far Cry 3 by battling through that horrid co-op one last time and enjoying myself in the process. Just as I felt like I was Moving On from Platinums, I'd discovered that The Road Goes Ever On, you just have to make sure you enjoy the journey.

In case you are sitting there, baffled. Asking yourself aloud, '' What's that barmy bumhole talking about?''...

Toggle Spoiler

So, I ask of you. What would your Platinum Tale be? Do you still have the same desire for them? Are you yet to embark on that journey?

PS420

Really cool read LDA I actually did feel myself hit a slump, but it wasn't because I didn't enjoy earning them anymore, it had more to do with being even more busier in RL that I had to limit my time for gaming. I feel myself coming back around, but my friends have turned me on to steam lately for certain games (Binding of Issac, Super Meat Boy, Shovel Knight) Those games have particularly stolen LOADS of my time.

Keep up the good work for the site and writing some one-offs like this. It was a nice read from the day in/day out stuff.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Puns always intended.

Quote Originally Posted by daftprophet View Post
    Really cool read LDA I actually did feel myself hit a slump, but it wasn't because I didn't enjoy earning them anymore, it had more to do with being even more busier in RL that I had to limit my time for gaming. I feel myself coming back around, but my friends have turned me on to steam lately for certain games (Binding of Issac, Super Meat Boy, Shovel Knight) Those games have particularly stolen LOADS of my time.

Keep up the good work for the site and writing some one-offs like this. It was a nice read from the day in/day out stuff.

Thanks man, much appreciated.

I complimented the slump with a hefty dose old-skool strategy games and fiddling about with Half-Life again on PC through a DOS emulator, love going back to PC now and again, but most of the newer stuff on there that I like is too time-consuming so UFO, The Sims 2, and Sim City 2000 are still good enough for me!

Lvl 4 - Silver

Really cool way to tell your trophy hunting story. I enjoyed reading it and please link it on your CL as it further tells us how you got those trophies. Every platinum name was thrown in there and it told part of the story. I too enjoy looking at my trophy list and reminiscing over games I've played. Our trophies really do tell a story and show what we enjoy.

Flesh is heretic /
    My body is a witch /
    I am burning it

Hello

Needs More Rum

Very good read and relatable in terms of wondering if it's worth while. Also liked how you added your plat names into it and in order.

I agree with Sky, definitely link to your cl so more people get to enjoy it

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

Puns always intended.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyMirror View Post
    Really cool way to tell your trophy hunting story. I enjoyed reading it and please link it on your CL as it further tells us how you got those trophies. Every platinum name was thrown in there and it told part of the story. I too enjoy looking at my trophy list and reminiscing over games I've played. Our trophies really do tell a story and show what we enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    Very good read and relatable in terms of wondering if it's worth while. Also liked how you added your plat names into it and in order.

I agree with Sky, definitely link to your cl so more people get to enjoy it

Cheers guys, appreciate the input. I will definitely be linking it into my Checklist.