Currently Playing (September 2014 Edition)

This is a discussion on Currently Playing (September 2014 Edition) within the Features and Editorials forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Banner by ERICVOLTAGE , care of Eric's Electric Banner Shop Editor's Foreword: Before we begin, let me first apologise for ...

Lord of all Goat-Men

Currently Playing (September 2014 Edition)

Editor's Foreword:
    Before we begin, let me first apologise for releasing this so late in the month. Usually we try and release on the first Monday of the month, but a bad combination of apathy and a busy schedule held this instalment back. We have not one, but three guest contributors this time (well, one is almost a regular at this point, really), and it was unfair of me to reward their effort, as well as that of our regulars, by leaving their work unpublished.

Next item on the agenda: keen eyed observers (or regular users of the Chatbox) will notice I'm no longer Grey. Effective immediately, I'm stepping down from the Editorial Team entirely, due to the fact that I no longer have the time, nor the energy, required for the position (hence this month's delay). To be clear, I'm not leaving the site (sorry to disappoint), just the Editorial Team. I'd like to thank everyone who has read and supported my work, and that of my team, and I hope you continue to support them in the future, because they deserve it.

Speaking of deserving... there doesn't appear to have been any kind of official announcement, so it might as well appear here. Please all join me in congratulating our newly appointed forum moderator, Helyx! The perks of his position include a colour change from light blue to green, the respect and/or fear of the plebs, and the unenviable task of cleaning up and managing the site so that you all have a nice place to post about games, trophies, twatty hats, and anything else you want to talk about, so make sure you show your appreciation by spamming obscene gifs on his profile page.

With all the house-keeping out of the way, let's move onto the games because, of course, that's what you're all here for (that, or I did a really good job of making you feel guilty last month)! As I said earlier, this month (it's more like two weeks at this point, but shup) we have three guest contributors joining our regulars: Artemis writes in again, but only about one JRPG this time, she promises; Checklist Spotlight #1 Winner and former Editorial virgin Neospoon makes his debut; and site veteran DaveyHasselhoff joins in with some helpful tips for earning trophies on the high seas. As always, they're joined by ChrisValentine, Larrydavidsavatar, Nagflar, and myself. Happy reading!

Nagflar
    What I'm looking forward to buy someday:
    Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution

If there's one thing Japan loves to create, it's fighting games based on popular Anime/Manga series, and among them the Naruto: Ultimate Ninja series has to be one of the most prolific and popular ones ever. Having played pretty much all of the games they've released outside of Japan since the PS2, I'm definitely looking forward to the new one.

With over 100 characters and featuring a story mode that follows the Anime up to the latest episodes, the game's got more stuff to do than ever and is sure to give long-time fans a great time as they use their favorite characters and spam their special attacks to overcome the game.

Since the game features online gameplay once again, those with a more competitive nature can enjoy fighting spammers like Deidara and raging over how easy it is to abuse the game's mechanics, unless the new features (counter-attack and guard-breaking) are implemented in such a way as to avoid those dastardly cheap combos that made the game frustrating to play with others many times.

I for one will love to play it casually and kick mesa's ass online, all while enjoying the side stories the Manga's original creator has added to the game, for they're sure to be entertaining (regardless of quality).

Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution releases on PlayStation 3 on September 12 in Europe, and September 16 in North America, and will be available digitally and at retail.

What I've been wasting my time on: Proteus

I'm a fan of artsy and pretentious indie games, which tend to be the favorite genre of whoever picks games for PlayStation Plus' Instant Game Collection (or at least the 'indie' part), as that's most of what they've been adding for the past 2-3 months. Thus, I downloaded and installed Proteus hoping to find an enjoyable experience that lived up to the 'artsy' and 'pretentious' adjectives. It succeeded with the latter.

Proteus is an 8-bit looking game that has you controlling a floating camera and exploring a randomly-generated island for a couple of days, during which you change the season at night time and keep exploring the island to find what sort of differences each new season brings.

The game's enjoyable the first time through, but the more you play it the more tiresome and boring it becomes, and the worst thing is its trophy list has a few annoying and highly missable trophies, so if you're unlucky you'll find yourself playing through this game 6 times while exploring every little place in the island during each season, just so you may see every slight color variation of every pixelated bush there is to find.

I'd suggest playing it one time and one time only, and then deleting it forever. But that's just me.

Proteus is out now for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita, and is currently available as part of the PlayStation Plus Instant Game Collection.

Faust
    What I'm Currently Playing:
    Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare

My guide-writing odyssey continues, and this month I chose a game I've had waiting in my backlog for quite some time: Red Dead Redemption's critically lauded Undead Nightmare DLC pack. What started off as a way to whip up a quick guide quickly turned into one of the most fun experiences I've had in some time.

DLC, for the most part, is not my cup of tea. I like the concept of it - the idea of small, supplementary pieces of content becoming available to extend, add to, or improve upon a game - but in practice, it's become more of a way for publishers to milk fans' wallets. And don't even get me started on DLC trophies...

Undead Nightmare, in my opinion, is DLC done right. It takes the mechanics and concepts of the original and transports them to a campy, tongue-thoroughly-in-cheek alternate reality in which the American frontier is engulfed in a full-blown zombie apocalypse. Once again you ride as John Marston, as he sets out to find a cure for the 'plague' that has infected his wife and son. Your quest for answers takes you all over the world of RDR, and has you meet many of the same characters, many of whom meet a grizzly yet hilarious death.

The main story missions are quite simple, and the 'Safehouse' mechanic is neat (you need to 'save' towns from the undead, creating safe zones), but the real fun is the B-movie dialogue, and the quirky side missions and challenges that have you doing everything from hunting Sasquatches to breaking in Unicorns. If you're going for 100% completion, you're looking at around 15 hours of content, which represents plenty of value for your dollar, though trust me when I say riding around on War, the fiery horse of the apocalypse, is more than worth the price of entry alone.

Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare is available digitally, as part of the Game of the Year edition, or as a stand-alone retail disc.

What I'm Looking Forward to this Month: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Whenever I list my all-time favourite PlayStation 2 games, there's one game that is always in my top 3: Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. If you've played it, you don't need me to tell you why it's amazing, and if you haven't, then go play it. Now. For the longest time I've been searching and waiting for a new game that combines the rich lore of Tolkien with awesome gameplay to come along and take its place, and I'm really hoping that the upcoming Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor is such a game.

Like most non-movie tie-in LotR games have been, Shadow of Mordor is a non-canon adventure set in Middle-earth, chronologically located somewhere between The Hobbit and The Fellowship of the Ring. You play as Talion, a ranger who dies defending the Black Gate, but is resurrected when a Wraith bonds with him, granting him supernatural powers.

In terms of gameplay, SoM looks to play a lot like Assassin's Creed meets Batman: Arkham Asylum (something I'm totally OK with), combining stealth and exploration with a deep combat system. But SoM is so much more than that. At its core is a progression system based on fear and domination. Using his badass Wraith powers, Talion can command and dominate enemies and have them do his bidding. The world that developers Monolith Productions have created is populated with dozens of unique and memorable villains, arranged in a fluid hierarchy which you can infiltrate, manipulate, and destabilise with your actions. It's this aspect that has me interested, because it's unlike anything else I've seen in a game before, and in this day and age, that's a quality that's hard to come by.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor releases on PlayStation 4 on September 30 in North America, and October 3 in the UK; it releases on PlayStation 3 on November 18 in North America, and November 21 in the UK.

DaveyHasselhoff
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, TWD Season 2 and Metro: Redux

Unfortunately I have several, SEVERAL quality games that I haven't finished yet. At home I'm alternating between my PS3 and PS4 games, and at work I spend my free time working on my Vita games.

As many of you know, I had a serious issue with the PS4 version of Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag and Sharing is Caring. After many months of raging about it being the only AC game that I couldn't get a platinum in - plus listening to vettes and Ultradog taunt me nonstop about it - I picked up a PS3 copy for $20 at Gamestop. After a few gaming sessions I was able to get 2/3 Social Events without issue, so if you are/have had trouble with this as well, I recommend you do the same if you too want the platinum. The game looks very good still for not being the PS4 version, but you can definitely see the difference especially if you have played the PS4 version first.

While I enjoyed it, completing my first playthrough of The Last of Us: Remastered really put me in the mood for Metro 2033: Redux. The first installment in the Metro franchise, Metro 2033 introduces you to Artyom, the series' main protagonist, and the post-apocalyptic world of The Metro - the underground railway system that lies beneath what was once Moscow, and has since become one of the last bastions of humanity in the wake of a nuclear war. While it originally released on Xbox 360 back in 2010, it was never ported to PS3, so many gamers, myself included, missed out on playing it. Thankfully, it's included in the newly-released Metro: Redux collection, along with the sequel, Metro: Last Light. I have only made it a few chapters into the game, but I must say the game looks fantastic on the PS4 and I'm enjoying the story so far. If you enjoyed Last Light or you are looking for something new to play on your PS4, I recommend picking this up.

Having just finished up LEGO Ninjago, I decided to finish off The Walking Dead Season 2. This seemed like perfect timing as the final episode was just released at the end of last month! I have it for both my PS3 and my Vita, and I play them both to explore different choices in each one to see how the story changes. I personally enjoy the Vita version better, as the game makes use of the touch screen for gameplay, making it a bit more entertaining while playing, instead of just the usual point and click with the cursor.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag is available now on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4, both digitally and at retail.
    Metro 2033: Redux is available for PlayStation 4 digitally, or as part of the Metro: Redux collection both digitally and at retail.
    The Walking Dead Season 2 is available for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita digitally, and is coming to PlayStation 4 in October.

What I'm Looking Forward to in September: The NFL Season
    This is what I look forward to most every September - the start of the NFL season and Fantasy Football. As far as gaming is concerned, there is absolutely nothing that interests me for September, so I will use this time to work on my ever growing backlog of games: The Last of Us Remastered, South Park: The Stick of Truth, The Wolf Among Us, The Amazing Spider Man 2, Kingdom Hearts HD Collection, inFamouses: Second Son and First Light, and more.

ChrisValentine
    What I've Been Tearing Up Enemies In:
    Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls Edition

As I said last month, I’ve been looking forward to the PS4 version of Diablo 3. And it’s been worth the wait.
    The game runs smoothly on the PS4, with little-to-no load times. It looks more polished on the PS4, too… obviously. In addition you get an extra character to choose from - the Crusader - and the level cap has been raised as well, from 60 to 70. There's also another Act, too, which adds about an hour to the game, and is also something a bit scarier... which I'll talk about later.

So I’ve got one character, my Demon Hunter. He is sprinting through the game wearing all the highest level EXP Boost items I can find. He’s tearing up stuff left, right and centre. But with him I’m actually paying attention to the story, which surprisingly has me hooked. Plus I think he's got a crush on Leah... or that might be me.

My Hardcore run is being played co-op with my friend. Here, my Barbarian is exploring everywhere in a whirlwind of bodies. Although Hardcore Mode is the mode where if you die... that's it. Game Over. Your character goes into a Hall of Shame. Thank God, for being able to quit and re-download your Cloud Save, though! Most of this Mode has had me telling my friend down my headset to come and save my ass, as I've undoubtedly got myself surrounded and am watching my health meter drop at a heart-stopping rate.

Then there’s my Monk… she’s joined Yoo_Hoo_Sniper and Pancake_Model since she was one year old and has quickly become 35. When I say quickly, I mean an hour and a half… max. They may have been Level 45 and 69 when I joined them, but that’s beside the point. She rolled and dived to evade the massively higher level enemies and was quickly “pimped out” with awesome gear and then able to take care of herself, sort of.

The co-op is where the game became its most fun. Two or three of us on screen at once, just causing chaos and death. It was great. The PS4 handled everything with no issues, just many different bright, vibrant colours.

In addition to the Reaper of Souls Edition, is the "Nemesis". This dude is badass... not in a good way. In a "four letter expletive, four letter expletive, four letter expletive" sort of way. If you've read this and pick the game up, you'll at-least know about the "Nemesis" now... I did not.
    My first knowledge of it was thus: suddenly a foghorn started sounded through my headphones, which got me panicking a bit, then the controller started shaking, then Yoo_Hoo_Sniper's killer appeared on my screen as a demon, with Yoo_Hoo_Sniper's ghost in tow. They destroyed me in under five seconds...

Basically, when you die, the enemy that killed you turns into a demon and goes on to invade your PSN friends list with a ghost of your former self. If it kills them, it becomes stronger and carries on causing carnage through the PSN. It's a very nice addition, although so far, the Nemeses that I've killed have given me rubbish drops, but gave the person that had died an awesome Gift, which seems a bit unfair

For one of the trophies, you need to level all six characters to Level 70, and this... this I have absolutely no problem with!

Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition is available on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4, both digitally and at retail.

Neospoon
    What's in my PS3 right now:
    Medal of Honor: Warfighter

After finishing a great game, The Saboteur, I was in serious need of some kind of shooter. I've played my share of Call of Duty's and Battlefields, and was looking for something in those lines. So there it was: Medal of Honor Warfighter. After watching some reviews and gameplay, I thought to myself, "why not try it?"

Medal of Honor: Warfighter is a first person shooter, it runs on the Frostbite 2 engine we all know from Battlefield 3. The controls work pretty good. They follow the standard FPS-scheme with the addition of a peek function under the L2 button, which works surprisingly well.

It's hard to explain the story because like almost all shooters, you jump from country to country playing as different members from an elite force called Tier 1. And most of the time is dedicated to multiplayer on these games anyway. Medal of Honor Warfighter is no different.

The campaign is short, and easy. There are 13 missions in total, varying from 2 up to about 40 minutes. Playing them on Hard difficulty was really easy. I had a big laugh when one of the missions started, and was finished with only making one shot.

The multiplayer has all the standard modes like Team Deathmatch, Capture the flag etc. There is however a mode called Fire Team which tries to change things up and do something new.

You are placed in a 2 player co-op team in which you need to work together with your buddy to win the match. This buddy has a number of advantages - he will function as a spawn point, enemies he sees will
    automatically be visible on your own map, you can ask for ammo, and if you are downed, your buddy can revive you. Even though the online activity isn't much nowadays, it still is fun to go out with someone on your PSN friends list and play some Fire Team matches.

To sum it up, from shooting from helicopters, to wild car chases and breaching doors (yeah, the same slow-motion stuff as CoD), MOH:W has it all covered.

What I'm looking forward to: Persona 4 Arena Ultimax Persona

Ever since I got my first platinum for MKvsDCU I've been looking into different fighting games to try out. I found Persona 4 Arena earlier this year, and it being a big challenge (as most fighting games are), I liked it. When I checked the games that would release in September, I was surprised to see the new Persona 4 Arena Ultimax listed.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax is the second 2D anime fighting game in the series. It's a high-paced game (on screen and control wise) which works best using combo's in which you can use your Persona for doing even more damage. The controls will look familiar for those of you who have played games like BlazBlue or Guilty Gear in the past.

The story takes place a couple of days after the events of P4A P1 Grand Prix. Inaba, the fictional city where the first P-1 Grand Prix was held is covered in a red fog, and some of the cast of P4A are captured on the Midnight Channel. It is up to you to go and rescue them with the other characters of P4A as well as new fighters from previous Persona titles.

Unlike any other fighting games, Persona 4 Arena Ultimax will (probably) have a huge story behind it, which in my guess will be all in the form of a lot of text with, little-to-no animation to it, just as its predecessor. Although it looks almost exactly the same as Persona 4 Arena, I'm sure the story will be just as good or even better. I haven't finished P4A yet, but I can't wait to get my hands on this next installment.

Artemis
    Tales of Xillia 2

First of all, I thought I might skip this month's editorial because I wasn’t much in a gaming mood (aside from crappy Android games) this month. Secondly, I said in the last editorial that I would try to not write about JRGPs the next time, but screw that As soon as my day-one edition of Tales of Xillia 2 arrived, I started it and I was sold. Gone was my gaming dip. I will try to contain my fangirlism, because I like this game a lot!

ToX 2 starts where ToX stopped, and has a lot of the same things that ToX had, like the cities (world map), characters etc. Is that a bad thing? Not at all, I would say, and definitely not if you’re a fan of ToX. It’s not all the same, though. ToX 2 has a new protagonist called Ludger, and introduces a few new characters. The combat system is still great (even more deep and complex this time). Ludger can hold 3 weapons and switch them at will in battle. Each weapon has different special attacks (artes) and it will definitely take a while to get used to and who of the characters to link your attacks with. I feel like this game has improved a lot after ToX, not only the battle system, but in the game you can also make choices that decide the story. You can also bond with your party members this time, resulting in them giving you gifts when they starting to like you. There’s also a thing like Kitty dispatch (finding cats in the game that you can dispatch to find treasures for you). It might sound silly, but it’s actually pretty funny. ToX 2 has a solid cast and you can play with some characters you couldn’t play with in ToX like Gaius . I’m also content about the voice acting, although it’s not perfect.

It’s hard for me to find something I don’t like about this game. What I didn’t like was the 20 million debt you start with and having to pay it off, but money isn’t a problem at all in ToX 2 with all the missions, treasures and monsters you fight. I always have plenty of money left to buy whatever I need.

If you’re curious about this game then I recommend playing ToX before playing ToX 2. If you only play games for (quick) trophies, though, I wouldn’t recommend this game, as my first trophy popped up near the 20 hours mark.

Looking forward to: Murasaki Baby

I like cute things and Murasaki Baby caught my eye because the game looks adorable, if a bit creepy (the head freaks me out ). The dark art style has me intrigued as well.

Murasaki Baby tells the story of a little girl who wakes up in a weird world, populated by children’s fantasies and fears. Holding a purple, heart-shaped balloon in her hand, she feels lost, homesick and vulnerable. She wants her mommy.

From what I saw in a few trailers, you have to hold her hand and guide her through different levels, each with different puzzles and monsters in it. The heart-shaped balloon is important (she’ll die when it’s lost).

Larrydavidsavatar
    Games That Have Filled in the Blanks:
    Some Rubbish Ones and a Good One

It's been a month of flitting between numerous games, trying them out, tutting at them and generally being a bit of a misery guts about playing anything new. The curse of the dull calm before the tsunami of Autumn/Winter game releases strikes again.

On the PlayStation 4 I had the displeasure of trying Bound By Flame. This Demon's Souls wannabe not only looks like a scruffy urchin with leprosy, but it handles like one too. Bound By Flame is far too wishy-washy with its combat, saddled with level design plucked from the bins behind From Software, and possibly burdened with the most poorly delivered dialogue since Just Cause 2. Redeeming features? The musical score is quite nice. I will waste no more space writing about it and move on.

So, after that, I had hoped for better with Watch_Dogs. Figuring I'd give it a go now the hype has died off, and to be fair I was initially impressed with it. The atmosphere of city life is well captured mainly thanks to ambient noise being well realised. The hacking was also quite fun for a bit too, it took at least 30 instances of messing about with traffic lights and exploding grenades in pockets before I stopped tittering like a buffoon.

Then, one thing after another made me walk away from it. Aiden Pearce, the protagonist, is awful, both as a character and a virtual human being. Selfish, egotistic and bland, I could have got past that had it not been for the shonky controls. This is probably the first open world game I've ever played where bikes handle better than cars. Bikes are still a bit twitchy, but car handling is ridiculously airy. Aiden himself waddles like an intoxicated man with a brown alert in his kecks and roller skates on his feet.

I could go on and mutter about the uneven stealth, dull multiplayer and the repetitive nature of nearly everything you do, from police chases to the interesting ''facts'' that pop up on civilians, but I'd be here forever and it would sound far more harsh than I intend it too. Watch_Dogs is alright really. It's just that when you factor in the hype, money spent and promises made, it comes off a bit shit.

Despite this next-gen horror show, my humble Vita game gave me back my joy. Dynasty Warriors Next is a repetitive portable entry in the seemingly eternal series of Dynasty Warriors hack n' slash titles, and that's quite fine with me. Its simple goal of take your army here and twat bloke A's army round the head with a ruddy big stick before moving onto the next area to rinse and repeat was the perfect antidote to the lame ducks my dear powerful console was offering me. It also has hidden depth in terms of strategy, not that deep, but more than enough to add to the fun gameplay.

I had avoided playing a Dynasty Warriors game since the PlayStation 2 days, but I may now go and seek out another on consoles on the back of playing this.

Bound By Flame and Watch_Dogs are both available now on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 at retail and from the PS Store.
    Dynasty Warriors Next is available now on PS Vita at retail and the PS Store.

The First Crumb of AAA goodness I Wish To Taste This Month: Destiny

If you had told me a year ago that I'd actually be quite excited for a game developed by Bungie and published by Activision, I'd have not only laughed in your face, I'd have asked you to check into the nearest institute for people with grand misconceptions of other's personal tastes (I'm pretty sure that exists, in Botswana I believe). Yet, here I am, mere days from the release of the former Halo studio's new multi-plat title Destiny, and I'm ruddy well pumped for it!

I'm guessing that most people here know all about what makes Destiny seem exciting (or not, if you don't fancy it). It's a FPS MMO from the makers of Halo that incorporates RPG elements, and that is the reason I'm so looking forward to it. The blending of some of my favourite parts of several games and genres. Loot? Customisable characters? Sci-Fi? Online co-op shooty-bangs? The ability to dance like a tit? All here and wrapped up so very nicely in a luscious looking planet-hopping bow.

Mainly, after a very lean nine months for big, new AAA games I'm in need of a grandiose time-sink that does something similar to Borderlands, and Destiny seems to fit that mould somewhat. I won't be outright purchasing many games in what remains of this year, but Destiny is one of them.

On a slightly smaller scale, I was delighted to find one of my favourite games of the year, Don't Starve, was to be released this month on PS Vita with the Reign of Giants DLC included. Better still, if you downloaded the vanilla PS4 version earlier this year, the Vita version is free! With the DLC included for nowt extra! I know it's a bit of a marmite game for most, but I for one am looking forward to tucking into it the isometric roguelike again on a portable format.

Destiny is available on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 on September 9th at retail and on the PS Store. Don't Starve is out on PlayStation 4 now and available on PlayStation Vita from September 3rd from the PS Store.

That's it from us for now. I'm not sure if the feature will be back next month, but I hope it is. Don't forget to tell us what games you're playing, and which ones you're looking forward to this month!
    Last edited by Faust; 10-12-2014 at 08:26 AM.

The Roy

Good editorial, Faust. I'm glad someone else loved The Lord of the Rings The Return of the King as much as I did. It was a movie game done right which is something you rarely see.
    This is my signature.

Negator

Another fine editorial piece. Great job everyone!

I'm currently playing Uncharted 3 (hooray), I Am Alive (don't bother), Eyepet & Friends, Battleblock Theater, Magic 2014, and Demon's Souls (of course).

Looking forward to Bloodborn.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    I'm currently playing Uncharted 3 (hooray),
    You've been playing that for months!

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    You've been playing that for months!
    7 months later, I'm still playing after finally getting 100% completion. Still gotta get Faust and a few other friends their last treasure before I can finally delete it. Hope Naughty Dog doesn't go overboard with their UC4 DLC; they seem to get more tedious with each installment of the franchise.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Editorial Team

I really enjoyed reading what others have been playing.
    Currently I'm almost done with Medal of Honor Warfighter, just finished all online trophies. The online got really boring after lvl 60, and you need to be lvl74 to get all the unlocks. I still got a couple of offline ones left.

After that I'll be going for the Borderlands 2 platinum which shouldn't take all that long anymore.
    Working on: The next platinum trophy!
    come join the stream:
    http://www.twitch.tv/neospoon

Local Drunk

Been waiting for this and thoroughly enjoyed it as per usual.

Currently playing Uncharted 2 and NFS: Shift because I needed a fix of both lol.

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

Lvl 7 - Gold

First of all, i'm really displeased to hear that Faust left the editorial team...
    I will really miss his writing skills. Whatever Faust writes about, once you start reading it you can't stop reading it.
    I will miss that and i hope he will still write sometimes.
    I also hope this will not cause the end of the "currently playing"-threads...

What i've been playing : Thief / Bound By Flame / Trine 2
    I had to start playing Thief again, due to some guy who kind of left the forum and took all the pics he posted here with him, which left the Thief trophy-guide in a mess. I saw the guide was up for auto-challenge and since i had 10 days off from work, i had the time to make the guide look good again, because good games deserve good guides. Gladly i succeeded in this with the help of Gyrocop (thanks again man!).
    I had a lot of fun writing the guide, but i also had a lot of fun playing with Garrett, the master-Thief again. I used to play the old Thief-games on PC and i loved them. I think this Thief, which is actually Thief 4, is a jewel (don't steal it!). It has a great story and i just love sneaking around the levels on the look to steal some loot. Shadowstepping behind guards or silently taking them out. Pickpocketing guards and disapearing into thin air. It's really something else. Adrenaline-pumpin' missions, good quests and fun jobs, but also sandbox-freedom when roaming the city.

After i finished the guide i continued playing Bound By Flame, i don't dislike the game like LarryDavidsAvatar does, but he is right at some points, but after getting the hang of the fighting techniques, it isn't that bad, so i figured i should finish the game.
    Well....that WAS bad....after stepping into the final area to fight the end-boss, there is no way to buy health and/or mana potions, i knew this, so i took a lot of them with me, but there is this weight-limit on how much you can carry. First in this area are some pretty hard enemies you must beat ending with a pretty hard boss. Then some more enemies and finally the final boss, which is a demon...this demon is almost resistant to your fire skills, so he is very hard to beat! But i've beat him! I was almost dead, only had 2 health-pots left, but i did it! I thought....
    Because after the scene-movie....a giant Dragon appeared....since i couldn't drop my sword and run away, i had to take one of my last health-pots and fight him....but i was tired, and so was my character Vulcan, we didn't succeed. It was late at night so i decided to try again tomorrow, but i couldnt even get past the demon, so i made a new character, but then another game came out (Diablo 3) and so i will put this game in my backlog....

During my holiday i also had a lot of fun playing Trine 2(complete) with 2 of my friends.
    This is a beautiful game....especially after quite a few beers and smoking funny things....
    One of my friends played the wizard, throwing his boxes everywhere except for the places where the boxes should be.
    The other friend was the thief, but he was terrible swinging his rope and i played the knight mostly.
    We didn't earn much trophies, but we had a lot of laughs.
    And it does look great on PS4, a really great co-op couch-game!

Currently Playing: Smart as...(VITA) & Diablo 3: RoS
    Yes, i'm still playing Smart as... on my VITA to get that last trophy "Perfect Attendance " - (Play Smart As on 100 different dates) I should have gotten that trophy last wednesday, but it didn't pop, i googled it and some got it after 110 days, so i'll just keep playing it every day untill i get that PLAT!

And YES! Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls! My holiday finished on the 18th of August, Diablo came august 19 (bummer)
    Read the story of ChrisValentine how awesome this game is! (I had the same "Nemesis"-experience...)
    Super-cool game! After this writing, i will be playing it.

What i'm waiting for...
    September promised me a lot of cool games, but they've got delayed....
    The only games that i will buy this month are Natural Doctrine &
    Sherlock Holmes Crimes & Punishment , I will let you know how these games are next month.

October looks more promising....I hope i can tell you more about that next month,
    this monthly thread "currently playing" must stay!
    I'm ready to help in any way!
    I love to see what others are playing, and to write about my gaming-experience!
    Have fun gaming y'all!
    Rico.
    [edit] P.S.: No, i did not buy "Destiny"...because i don't like FPS (shooter) games...it looks great though, but i don't see me playing that for the next ten years....[/edit]

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Woah. My computer dies and in the time I'm away, this happens? My sad-face I strong right now.

I'll tip my hat to Faust, he did all he could to create non-guide content for the site despite being manacled by admin grumbles. I sincerely wish it hadn't come to this, but hey, you tried man!

On point, Destiny is good. In my time without proper access to this site I've had to make do with Facebook groups for opinion on it, and of course, being Facebook, it brings out some of the worst attempts at critique you will ever see. Go look, it makes forums like ours look Godly.

Also playing Wolfenstein: The New Order (finally), and it's cracking so far!

Galaxy beauty pirate

Is it just me or aren't there any videos showing up in this thread? Just big white spaces. O well..

It's nice to see some new participants in here. Great work!
    Sig by Ramon

PRO Member

Nice piece! Enjoying reading all the new content each day/week/month. Sad to you "go" Faust, you've done great work! Good luck Helyx, I'm sure you'll do awesome work as well. Anyway, I've just been playing Destiny since it's release and I'm loving it. Really enjoyable gameplay and the like. Lot's of stuff to keep you busy with, especially the trophies.

Now Playing
    Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS3)
    Playstation All Star's Battle Royale (PS3)
    Far Cry 4 (PS4)
    Call of Duty: Black Ops III BETA (PS4)
    Persona 4 Golden (Vita)
    Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack! (Vita)

Thanks
    kid420247 for the Avy and Sig

Lvl 9 - Gold

Really enjoyed reading this issue of Currently Playing. Its always nice to be able to read what others think about some of the games that they are currently playing and what they are looking forward to playing.

Currently I've been playing Boarderlands 2 and now added Deadly Premonition: The Directors Cut. I saw it was on sale for around $6 and figured I would give it a try. Of course I watched a couple videos on it first to see what it was all about. It's certainly a strange game. I keep reading its a cross between Alan Wake, Heavy Rain and Silent Hill. Since I've only played Heavy Rain I can't really say if it is or isn't. It's certainly an interesting game and some of the little glitches in it are certainly funny. Nothing like watching a couple squirrels run in fear of being ran over and hearing them make monkey noises. The one thing in the game I can say they didn't put any time into is the controls for the driving. Every time I try and turn any sort of vehicle around anywhere I feel like I'm trying to turn a big rig around instead. So far I'm actually having fun with it besides the flaws in it that I've found. Was hoping to have it done in a few days but it doesn't look like that will be happening.

Boarderlands 2. Nothing really needs to be said. Hell its the Boarderlands universe.

La Mano de Dios

Great issue as always... Feeling identified with Nagflar in wishing to play Naruto Ultimate Generations. Those team ninpos look just sick

In my case, I'm currently playing Medal of Honor Warfare (as well as Neospoon), Inversion (which reminds me of the long grinds from Far Cry 2 and FEAR 2), Zombie Driver HD, and Dead to Rights: Retribution. Those last too are from my almost 4-year old games backlog

I'm also looking forward to play some great RPGs as Diablo III: Reaper of Souls and Dragon's Crown

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I do have one special space for the naruto games, but not getting that till later, right now, just got Fifa 15 so iIll be busy with that for this month, maybe some of oct (not really a hard plat) and well I have child of light and don't starve that still havn't played, so maybe ill do that

Lvl 8 - Gold

Sweet read. I laughed at the Diablo 3 one.

PRO Member

Great to see people replying and using the layout we use

PRO Member

Sure I'm late, but nice little editorial. At least this part of the site is active

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    7 months later, I'm still playing after finally getting 100% completion. Still gotta get Faust and a few other friends their last treasure before I can finally delete it. Hope Naughty Dog doesn't go overboard with their UC4 DLC; they seem to get more tedious with each installment of the franchise.
    Hey boo...I could use a hand with that as well

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Lvl 6 - Silver

Nice article. I always enjoy reading these.

On the PS4 I just started playing Dust:An Elysian Tail and Bound by Flame. Dust is really fun but Bound by Flame is extremely hard and makes me wanna rage a lot. Lol. I think the story is ok but I'm not sure if I can complete it but I'm gonna try.
    On the PS3 I'm playing Hyperdimension Neptunia and Tales of Xillia 2. Love these games.
    I am most looking forward to Tales of Hearts R on the Vita. I love the Tales series and I am looking forward to playing this one on the Vita.
    Thanks to xEl Cidx for my awesome Avy and Sig.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by missdreamer View Post
    Nice article. I always enjoy reading these.

...and Bound by Flame. Dust is really fun but Bound by Flame is extremely hard and makes me wanna rage a lot. Lol. I think the story is ok but I'm not sure if I can complete it but I'm gonna try.
    Always "good" to read other peoples find the game hard too...(see! It isn't me!)

I sure hope that there will be an October thread soon....