Currently Playing (October 2014 Edition)

This is a discussion on Currently Playing (October 2014 Edition) within the Features and Editorials forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Evil banner provided by ERICVOLTAGE care of Eric's Electric Banner Shop Editor’s Foreword This month marks the beginning of this ...

Kiwi Defender

Currently Playing (October 2014 Edition)

Evil banner provided by ERICVOLTAGE care of Eric's Electric Banner Shop

Editor’s Foreword

This month marks the beginning of this feature no longer being grouped together, edited and posted by Faust since its conception back at the beginning of the year. This has happened due to whatever reasons Faust had, so I’m taking advantage of this space to bid him farewell and thank him for his work .

That on its own gave the rest of the Editorial Team a headache, for we had to now deal with being one member (and pseudo-leader) down, as well as having to re-organize the team as a whole and get this thing together before the end of the month. However, the headaches didn’t end there, for a few weeks later, another member (Larrydavidsavatar) left the team as well (for reasons even we ignore).

Naturally, this only caused more troubles for us, so while we keep thinking of how to replace half the team we’ve lost in the span of a month and how to get this thing done before November was in sight, we decided to lay or hopes on the shoulders of what makes this site still exist: Sub’s wallet and interest the community!

So for this month (and hopefully this month only), we’re presenting you October’s feature, which will consist of nothing but guest writers! Joining us this month will be recently-promoted moderator and long-time lurker (dj_)Helyx, checklist maestro TerminalPhoenix, recurring poster and supporter_RiCaRdO_ and Persona aficionado neospoon.

I also humbly apologize in the name of the team (which consists of an astonishing number of 2 people) for the tardiness in this feature’s release and ask you all to keep supporting us during these hard and lonely times.

Helyx
    WTF Have I Been Playing:
    Multiple games

Gaming ADHD always gets the best of me. Hopping from game to game in the hopes I can lose myself in addictive gameplay, gorgeous environments, enthralling plots or maybe just a mind-numbing grind. Lately, I've been occupied with several titles, which I'll lightly touch upon.

Wheel of Fortune & Jeopardy! Man, I love my games, especially a game about a game. Game-ception. Playstation Plus proved again to be a worthy investment when they offered each of the games for $4.50. I've enjoyed losing (yup, I suck) to most of my friends over the past few weeks...especially while playing Jeopardy. True to their respective game shows, they each play just as you'd expect, and I look forward to many hours of fun, even after trophies for each have been completed to 100%.

Fat Princess - Fat Roles DLC. Goin' in throwback style, playing one of the first games I bought on PSN and trying to get it cleaned up to 100%. Three new classes (Pirate, Ninja and Giant) throw new strategies into an old favorite. The expansion is extremely enjoyable, whether I'm stealth killing with the ninja, chompin' peoples' heads off with the giant, or just mobbin' around with the pirate, shooting my big balls.

The Wolf Among Us. Another point-and-click story-driven adventure game from TellTale. Honestly, I didn't know what to expect when I first started the game, but I was pleasantly surprised with the entire premise. Fairy tale icons exiled from their home lands and forced to live in NYC? Sounds dope, bro. This gem was surprisingly good, even with its flaws, mostly due to the vulgarity and extreme violence...plus, Little Mermaid boobies.

This past week I've also been neck-deep in a 2x XP week on Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls. Dragging my additional characters behind my Monk while grinding the 500 required bounties may sound lame, but it's fairly efficient as far as solo play goes. All things considered, Reaper of Souls is amazing compared to vanilla Diablo 3, and it's definitely my favorite game of 2014.

Max Payne 3. Oh boy, a third-person shooter from our favorite "wtf are we doing" developer, Rockstar. Do you like guns? Do you like shooting said guns? Do you like shooting those guns while hopped up on drugs? If you said yes, then go ahead and pick up this game! It's only about $5, and it's not like you can get much these days with five bucks...just don't expect stellar graphics, solid gameplay or a game with no glitches.

Last, but not least, Playstation Home. With the announcement of PSHome servers going offline in March 2015, I decided it was finally time to dive into the digital living space. Apparently still in beta, Home allows me to talk about the latest television shows and movies while getting propositioned for illicit acts with virtual characters. What a time to be alive! Though in hindsight, I regret having a female avatar.

Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy are both available for PS3 on the PlayStation Store since who knows when.
    Fat Princess was released on July 30, 2009. Bot the game and its DLC Fat Roles are available for PS3 on the PlayStation Store.
    The Wolf Among Us was released in episodic form between October 15, 2013 and July 8, 2014. The game, in all its episodic glory, can be found on the PlayStation Store for PS3, PS4 and Vita.
    Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls was released on March 25, 2014 for PS3 and PS4. The game can be found for both platforms on the PlayStation Store.
    Max Payne 3 was released for PS3 on May 15, 2012. The game can be found at a bargain bin at your local GameStop or Wal-Mart, as well as the PlayStation Store.
    PlayStation Home was made available to PS3 owners in December 11, 2008 and will cease activities on March 2015.

Looking Forward To: Costume Quest 2

I thoroughly enjoyed the first Costume Quest and have been foaming at the mouth for a sequel, and with such a sequel coming out, I can’t wait to dress up in funny costumes once more to kick ass and grab candies.

Costume Quest 2 was released on October 7 on PC, and will be available at an as-of-yet unknown date for PS3 and PS4.

TerminalPhoenix
    What I'm Currently Playing: Middle-earth:
    Shadow of Mordor, LEGO The Lord of the Rings

I’m not sure why October has become The Lord of the Rings gaming month, but hey, one does not argue with amazing fantasy. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor is stunning, addictive, and a whole lot of fun to play. While it borrows the best from the Assassin’s Creed and Batman Arkham franchises, SoM is innovative. The nemesis system is a breath of fresh air, something that is unique and revolutionary. I don’t want to sound overly dramatic, but I sincerely hope that other developers are inspired by it and try to push the envelope on this. The fluid hierarchy of enemies and the level of interaction and control you have on it is nothing short of spectacular. In a gaming world dominated by scripted and cinematic content, there have been many full moons since I have felt oh so empowered as a gamer. Even after platinuming Shadow of Mordor, I find myself drawn to this world making and eager to leave my mark on the hierarchy of evil that stands in my way. I cannot wait for more content to be released.

A little late to the party on this, but LEGO The Lord of the Rings (PS3) is a game I’ve had in my backlog for a long time. With the lull in gaming between now and the crazy month of November, I decided this was as good a time as any to overdose on Tolkien lore. Much like most LEGO games, this is both a fun and charming game. I was pleasantly surprised at how loyal the game is to the movie franchise. Cinematic sequences, camera angles and direction are perfectly replicated in a LEGO world (minus some of the darker and more violent sections, which I have to say were properly omitted or transformed into childish and amusing anecdotes). I’m almost done with the story mode, but as others who have played and platinumed LEGO games, that is but a small part of what the game has to offer.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor is available on PS4 since September 30 in North America, and October 3 in the UK. It releases on PS3 on November 18 in North America, and November 21 in the UK. It can be found at the PlayStation Store.
    LEGO The Lord of the Rings was released on PS3 and Vita on November 13, 2012. Both versions are available in the PlayStation Store.

What I'm Looking Forward to this Month: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel

As one who has killed virtual baddies while giggling to oneself for hours on end while playing Borderlands 1 and 2, and eventually platinuming them both, this third installment is a no brainer. Simply put, Borderlands is that guilty pleasure that no matter how good or bad others might consider it, whether people find it funny or crude, beautiful or ugly, it is some of the most senseless fun I’ve had on a console. Like a respectable gaming addict, don’t mind if I get me some more of that good stuff.

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel takes place somewhere between Borderlands 1 and 2 and tells the tale of Jack, a low-level Hyperion Corp. employee who eventually becomes the badass villain known as Handsome Jack. I’m looking forward to seeing the transformation from a hero to arguably the most charismatic villain in recent memory. If the low-gravity of the moon, mixed in with 4 brand new skill sets and new weapons are not enough to convince you that this is going to be a fun game, let me introduce you to one of the measly bronze trophies in the game:

Yup, this will be fun. Also, you can play as Claptrap. The end.

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel was released on PlayStation 3 on October 14 and can be bought both at the PlayStation Store and at your local gameshop.

_RiCaRdO_
    What I'm Currently Playing:
    Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls ; Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls ; Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls and then some

First of all, I finally got my Smart As...-Plat on the Vita, so I won't be bothering you with that anymore. In fact, I haven’t played any Vita games since that. Reason for this? Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls! And yes, I will probably bother you with that game for the upcoming months...

I play Diablo 3 : Reaper of Souls on my PS4 and platted the original Diablo 3 on my PS3 last year, but this version has quite some improvements: it looks better, it plays nicer and the add-on (Reaper of Souls) is really cool. Also new in this version has Arcade mode, which has Bounties and Rifts that will just keep you playing the game (Sooooo addictive). It's just like the game was made for just me...Awesome.

People that know me are aware that I like to buy and try new games, so here's what I've bought and tried: As promised, Sherlock Holmes Crimes & Punishment.

Now this game is something else. It’s what I like to call a "Sunday-morning game". After a long Saturday night spent crushing skeletons and
    chopping up zombies, and drinking too much beer, THIS is a game to play on a Sunday with some strong coffee.
    It has everything a good "Sunday-morning game" needs: it looks great, needs some thinking, has mini-games and puzzles, and sometimes a little action. The game is much better than I thought it would be, but you'll have to be in the mood to play it.

This also goes for my new game The Evil Within, for you'll have to be in the mood to play it.

This survival-horror game came out last Tuesday [Editor's Note: at the time this was sent to me], but I think my gameshop made a mistake by selling me the game the Saturday before that (not that I mind! ), so I played the game Saturday night with my best two friends, but we didn't quite like it...

One of my friends said the game was disgusting while the other said it wasn't scary enough. I just thought that the controls were lame and the character couldn't do enough with the environment around him. Since Halloween is coming up, I will be in the mood to play this game again, and I will let you know next month how it truly is/was.

Another game I bought was NAtURAL DOCtRINE.

Now, this game is AWESOME! I really like TBS (Turned Based Strategy) games, but this is something else! It's much more complicated than other TBS games like Child of Light (don't get me wrong, I LOVE Child of Light). The game was already released in Japan in April, but it finally got to us. It is difficult, yes, but very addictive! Your characters can line-up in a certain way to do more damage, which is important in this game. It needs good thinking, and much more strategy!

[Well, that's what I'm playing. What are you playing? Let us know in this topic! I like to read everyone’s thoughts and see what they’ve been playing.

Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls was released on March 25, 2014 for PS3 and PS4. The game can be found for both platforms on the PlayStation Store.
    Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments was released for PS3 and PS4 on September 30.
    The Evil Within was released in North America and Eurpe on October 14 for PS3 and PS4. The game can be found since its release on the PlayStation Store as well as any gameshop.
    Natural Doctrine was released in North America on September 30 and in Europe on October 3 for the whole PlayStation family: PS3, PS4 and Vita.

What I'm Looking Forward to this Month: The walking Dead season 1&2, Lords of the Fallen

I’m really looking forward to play season 1 again on my PS4 with touchpad and the 400 days add-on. Season 2 I haven't played yet, but I'm really curious and excited!

Lords of the Fallen will be the big game for me this month! It’s coming at the end of October and it’s being developed by Deck13 Interactive in collaboration with CI Games.

The Walking Dead: Season 1 was released episodically on PS3 from April 24, 2012 to November 20, 2012. A retail versio nwas released for PS3 on December 11, 2012 and for Vita on August 22, 2013. The PS4 version was released in North America on October 14 and will be available in Europe on October 30.
    The Walking Dead: Season 2 was released episodically on PS3 from December 17, 2013 to August 26, 2014. A retail version was made available in North America on October 14 for PS3 and will be available in Europe on October 24. The Vita version will be released on November 4, and the PS4 version was released on October 21 in North America and will be out in Europe on October 31.
    Lords of the Fallen will be releasef or PS4 in North America on October 28 and Europe on October 31.

neospoon
    What I’ve been playing:
    What was hiding in my Instant Game Collection

It was about time I’d spend some time on my PS Vita, even though I mainly play games I get through PlayStation Plus, so I was looking through my IGC and downloaded items. I found some games and was curious to what they’re about.
    The first of those games is Doki-Doki Universe.

Turns out I’m a little robot called QT3 or QT377665, and I’ve been abandoned by my family on an asteroid. I get picked up by an alien that goes by the name of Jeff, and he tells me why I was left behind and what I need to do to get out of this situation.

Turns out I need to learn about humanity by visiting different planets throughout the galaxy. The way this works is you fly on a pig with wings(?) to a planet of your choice. On these planets there is some sort of theme going on that has to do something with your quest. You meet new people (not sure if I can call them that) and need to find out what they like and don’t like by talking to everyone on the planet.

The game works with a summoning sort of thing which you could call presents. You can give these to the people you’ve met on the planets to satisfy or displease them to learn more about humanity. Even though the game looks really childish, there is some sort of message that makes kind of sense in our real world. You will find out what I mean by that when you play this game for yourself.

My name is QT3 and I’m a little robot that has learned everything there is to know about humanity!

Another one is Gravity Rush. Ever wanted to be able to defy the rules of gravity?

I’ve had this on my PS Vita for a while but never played it until now. So what is it? An action game, a (J)RPG. For me, though, it’s more of an action game with some RPG elements in it.

After waking up and finding a cat you give the name Dusty, you’ll notice that when Dusty is around you are able to shift gravity. This gives you the freedom to fly in every direction you want to. About to crash into a wall? No problem! The world just tilts with you and you’ll be running up that very same wall. However, if your gravity meter runs out, everything will turn back to normal, which will end up with you most likely falling down.

The world of Hekseville is pretty huge. Scattered throughout the city are precious Gems, which you need to collect in order to upgrade your powers, but also to fix broken machines in the different places you visit. The enemies in the game are called Nevi. You need to defeat them and the various gravity storms they bring with them.

The story is pretty big, with 23 chapters to play through. Besides that you’ll be collecting a lot of precious gems (40,000) and have challenges that unlock when you fix the machines in the cities. These challenges go from a timed race in which you must travel from checkpoint to checkpoint, to defeating as much enemies you can within a set time limit.

I really enjoyed playing this game, and I’m not done with it yet. Graphics look really good and the controls on the Vita are well worked out. If you’re a fan of cell-shaded/comic-styled games, you should definitely try this.

Doki-Doki Universe was released on December 2, 2013 for PS3, PS4 and Vita. The game can be found in the PlayStation Store and probably your Instant Game Collection.
    Gravity Rush was released on June 12, 2012 for Vita. The game can still be found at retail and it's probably in your Insant Game Collection as well.

What I’m looking forward to this month: To go to the moon!

Even though I’m still on my second playthrough of Borderlands 2, I can’t wait to start Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel. It launched today (17th october) over here in Europe, so I’ll be picking up my copy this next week.

I have absolutely no idea what it’s about and where it’s headed to with the story, and that’s because I tried to move as far away as I could of anything Borderland: The Pre-Sequel-related. Only thing I know is I’ll be going to the moon of Pandora and that’s it! So nothing really useful, but I’ll post an update as soon as I’ve played it.

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel was released on PlayStation 3 on October 14 and can be bought both at the PlayStation Store and at your local gameshop.

Well, this is it for October’s feature. As you can see, some of the games they're playing and looking forward to are the same, but that's not a bad thing at all I'd say. If anything, it tells me I should get Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls already.

I apologize once again for the tardiness in its release, but given the circumstances I mentioned before I hope you all understand. See you again in November!
    Last edited by DarkFox's Piss Bucket; 11-11-2014 at 11:06 PM.

Lvl 9 - Gold

I've been wondering when this was going to be posted. I'm glad to finally see it. Like always I enjoyed reading the Currently Playing section. Thanks everyone.

Negator

Great read, as always. I'm really enjoying what everyone's been playing, and seeing upcoming games that were under my radar.

As for the thinning of the Editorial Team, I'm sure you'll manage with just the two of you until suitable replacements are found.

EDIT: In light of recent events, it seems Crihs will have to do it all by himself.
    Last edited by DarkFox's Piss Bucket; 10-22-2014 at 06:12 PM.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lvl 5 - Silver

Fantastic read as always, even though I only read the first couple sentences.
    Really liked hearing about how much you sucked at Jeopardy though.
    Extremely looking forward to when you get a banner for this.
    Egotistical to think that people really care this much about what you're playing though, isn't it?

Nah, I'm sure there are literally dozens of people that eagerly anticipate this thread every month.
    And I'm glad you give the people what they want.
    Gonna have to end this post now, thanks for the update on what you've been playing!

Lvl 7 - Gold

I'm really glad this thread appeared once again, i really do like to read what others are playing and their oppinion about the games.

I know a lot of others like the read too (200 views) although they do not reply, they still like it.

I heard the staff got a lot thinner, which means the people that remain have more work to do, but they are still doing it, respect!

illegal in 9 countries

Some great recommendations there gents. Thanks particularly for the heads-up on Natural Doctrine - I've heard nothing about the game I'm into the TBS genre, so a new title always piques my curiosity.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Some great recommendations there gents. Thanks particularly for the heads-up on Natural Doctrine - I've heard nothing about the game I'm into the TBS genre, so a new title always piques my curiosity.
    Well, if you're into TBS, this one is a must-have...If you buy the game, please add me on PSN, we could do some online games together and/or Boost each other

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Nice to see the article back up. Played Natural Doctrine myself recently and couldn't get into it.

Personally, I continue to play Alien Isolation in small chunks as well as rotating others such as Spelunky, NHL 15 and Metro Redux.

Galaxy beauty pirate

Glad to see this editorial is still up. Nice work guys!

No games for me as I haven't gamed at all lately.. I haven't paid attention to any new game releases either. Hopefully I will get my gaming mood back soon.
    Last edited by Artemis; 10-30-2014 at 04:23 AM. Reason: typo.. s=d
    Sig by Ramon

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by _RiCaRdO_ View Post
    Well, if you're into TBS, this one is a must-have...If you buy the game, please add me on PSN, we could do some online games together and/or Boost each other
    I picked up the Japanese Natural Doctrine Limited Pack on Ebay for $30. Pretty good deal considering the Vita version comes free.

It'll take a couple of weeks to arrive, but I'll add you on PSN.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Metro Last Light Redux
    TLOU R
    Flow

PRO Member

Great read guys Glad we had a few awesome writers to cover for us whilst we tried to sort things out!
    Due to getting a new job and doing 60+ hours a week, I've barely had time to play anything! BUT, all my incoming monies, means I can buy some of the games I've been after!.... *Looking at you, Evil Within*

Lvl 4 - Silver

That was a great read guys! I'm more interested in Diablo 3 and Shadow of Mordor. Glad to see others enjoying them and that makes me want them more!

When I was unactive I was playing XCOM and now that I'm back, I just started playing it again. lol

I was playing a ton of Dishonored, some Tekken Revo, FFX, and GTA V over the last month or so.

Flesh is heretic /
    My body is a witch /
    I am burning it

Hello