Currently Playing (November 2014 Edition)

This is a discussion on Currently Playing (November 2014 Edition) within the Features and Editorials forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Nagflar What I've played during my scarce freetime: Final Fantasy V Final Fantasy is a series I love. I've played ...

Kiwi Defender

Currently Playing (November 2014 Edition)

Nagflar
    What I've played during my scarce freetime: Final Fantasy V

Final Fantasy is a series I love. I've played and finished most of the main entries, and I'm always looking forward to the next new installment (even though it may sometimes disappoint me or fail to live up to my expectations). With that in mind, the fifth entry is one I never played for long, let alone finished or made much progress through, so when the opportunity to acquire the PlayStation version of the game on the PlayStation Store arose, I quickly took the chance.

Final Fantasy V features a Job System that's similar to that of Final Fantasy III, but rather expanded. With quite a few different jobs to choose from, you can customize your party in different ways in order to kick Ex-Death's minions to death (as well as Ex-Death himself). As you level each Job, you gain different abilities exclusive to that Job, which you can then add to your current Job. This allows you to equip your Thief with a Sword, or have a White Mage use Steal, and even have your Monk use White Magic. All of this makes the game experience very varied and rewarding, and even grinding to level up your party and Jobs feels like less of a chore thanks to it.

The game also followed the series' tradition that I'd say began with Final Fantasy IV, which is that of a more interesting and developed story, with a lot of different characters, each with their own problems and goals. As you play through the game you also meet one of the most iconic enemies of Final Fantasy: Gilgamesh. I have to say I smiled like an imbecile when I first battled him and Battle on the Big Bridge started playing.

Final Fantasy V was released eons ago, and ported to the PlayStation millenia ago. The PlayStation port has been available in the PlayStation Store for a while already for about six bucks.

What I'm interested in this Month: LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham

I've been a fan of LEGO games since the first Star Wars game in the PlayStation 2 era, and even though I've been very vocal about the last-gen entries suffering from constant glitches and bugs, I still try to play most of the new releases (at least those I'm interested in). Among them were obviously the first and second LEGO Batman games, and me being a comics fan (with a preference for DC and Green Lantern comics), I'm more hyped for the new game than I've been for any other LEGO game since the second Star Wars one.

Featuring even more characters than the two previous entries (including a crapton of Green Lantern-related ones), I'm extremely hyped to fool around space as a Red Lantern as I vomit napalm all over Brainiac's universe-domination plot while the flipping Batman follows me around.

LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham was released for pretty much every console in existance on November 11th.

TerminalPhoenix
    What I'm Currently Playing: Captain America: Super Soldier

Red Dead Redemption. Portal 2. Journey. Shadow of the Colossus. The Last of Us. Metro Redux. The list goes on. There is many a game that I have yet to try. Games I know I should play. Games I know I would enjoy. Games that are critically acclaimed and winners of mountains of awards. Yet for some odd reason, I have decided to forego all logic and instead have chosen to give Captain America: Super Soldier a try. I don’t have a compelling reason why, other than I felt this was as good a time as any. Heck why not, said I.

Captain America: Super Soldier is by no means a great game. It is often as mindless as you would expect it to be. It lacks creativity and polish. It is a firm reminder of the stereotype that haunts most comic hero based games. The Batman Arkham series tried very hard to destroy that stereotype, but that series is but a lifeboat of hope in what is otherwise an ocean of mediocrity. Captain America: SS is another drop in that ocean, but for all of its shortcomings, it is surprisingly entertaining. What?!? You see, the Captain’s combat isn’t all that mediocre; in fact, it’s quite fun, and for the most part, surprisingly responsive. The graphics will never wow you, but hey, you’ve seen much worse. The game will never crash and you won’t see any glitches. The story won’t rival Grim Fandango's, you won’t find plot twists like you would in Bioshock: Infinite, and you won’t get attached to its characters as much as you did during the first season of The Walking Dead. But it ain’t that bad. There is a pretty decent premise and a good enough reason to play as an iconic hero and bust some baddie skulls. And at the end of the day, that is Captain America: Super Soldier for you; merely a good excuse to play as Captain America. It could’ve been much better, but it could’ve been much, much worse. Logic goes out the window. This is that fun mediocre game.

Captain America: Super Soldier was released on PlayStation 3 on July 19th, 2011 in North America, and it took
    TerminalPhoenix over 3 years to give it a shot.

What I'm Looking Forward to this Month: Assassin’s Creed: Unity

Yep, it’s a new year and that means a new Assassin’s Creed game (well, make that two games, because more is better, and reasons, and stuff). For all the universal hate, for all the greed and cash cow references, I, for one, choose to, once more, ignore the universal opinion on this franchise. I will drink the Ubisoft Kool-Aid, thank you very much.

Assassin’s Creed: Unity sets the stage for the French Revolution, a period of utter turmoil for France, one that has contributed to the brutal death of thousands of people. It also chooses to refresh the conflict between Assassins and Templars, a war I am all too eager to participate in. There are a couple of reasons why I’m excited for this installment. For one, if the game stays true to its historic inspiration, this will be the most violent AC game yet. Between mobs of angry people and mass public executions by guillotine, I am expecting a bloody game. Secondly, this looks to be the most detailed and interactive canvas in the AC universe yet. Paris is built to scale and the crowds of people you navigate are interactive, astonishingly so. I want to boast that the graphics look gorgeous, but those who have gone through the WatchDogs controversy will understand why I will reserve judgment on that for now. I am cautiously optimistic. Thirdly, there is a level of customization and leveling up that will allow me to build my own assassin, one who is handsome and fashionable like yours truly, but importantly, one who matches my play style. Lastly, the multiplayer aspect is all gone, replaced by a co-op mode that I hope will be as much of an improvement as my wildest desires (and they are wild!). There is a myriad of little improvements, which I hope will add more depth and richness to the game, but we’ll see how much of an impact they’ll truly have. All I can say is that I am looking forward to donning a hood and spilling some Templar blood.

Prepare for a romantic trip to Paris when Assassin’s Creed: Unity releases on PlayStation 4 on November 11th.

neospoon
    What's currently frustrating me: Tomb Raider: Anniversary, Luftrausers.

Again I'm playing an old game that has been in my backlog for some time.

Having all but 1 platinum trophy for all the Tomb Raider games, it was the right moment to start Tomb Raider: Anniversary (part of The Tomb Raider Trilogy), which is basically the first Tomb Raider (released 1996) with PS2 graphics updated and upgraded and given the HD treatment.

One of the things I remember from the original was how bad the controls and camera were. You would think all these years later it would have been polished and about perfect... It's not. I mean, it's slightly better, but the bad camera angles will get you killed a lot, make you jump in wrong directions and what not (just like the original).

Shimmy a wall sideways, wanting to jump to a ledge to the left, press X to jump towards it - WAIT Lara! Don't jump towards the camera, you'll fall down to... Died again. 45 minutes later I finally made the jump and reached a checkpoint. And to know I still have to do the speedruns...
    Maybe it's me but the camera angles and controls seem to be changing (for the worse) when playing on hard difficulty (I know it's not).

Being free on PS Plus this month, I also finally got to check out this indie game. Which is more than just your standard 2D arcade shooter. While the controls are pretty easy, it took me some time to figure out the best way to navigate my aircraft. Yes, I'm playing Luftrausers on PSVita.

I like the way this game looks, so simple but yet very effective. Once you master weapons/armor/engines you are given new ones to try out. This gives a lot of combining options (over 125!) in which you will find what suits you best while playing.

The game itself is pretty tough once you get your score up; massive battleships, submarines and even blimps which are not easy to destroy. However, if you do manage to kill one of them you probably will be happily rewarded with something afterwards.

A nice little game for fans of the 2D arcade shooter genre and really suited for the PSVita.

Tomb Raider: Anniversary was released for PlayStation 3 as part of The Tomb Raider Trilogy on March 22nd, 2011.
    Luftrausers was released for PlayStation Vita and PlayStation 3 on March 18th, 2014, and is available for all PlayStation Plus subscribers this month.

What I might want to get this month: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare.

It's november, a lot of games are released... What to get? Pretty tough choice with all the big titles coming out.

Did you ever had a game you played all day and night without getting fed up with it (online or otherwise)? I have, and even though I said to myself no more Call of Duty, I might get the next installment in the series: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare.

I have always been a fan of FPS games but lately can't find anything I really like, so this might be something to try out again, and see how much it has (if even) improved from the last COD I remember (which is MW3). I think the campaign will be another wild rollercoaster ride, which is a thing I sometimes just need.

Why would I want another Call of Duty? I think it might be better then COD:Ghost (which I skipped). You have an exo skeleton and can jump higher and move faster (Crysis, anyone?). Kevin Spacey is also in it, which could turn out to be a good thing, and I also miss getting yelled at for no reason, be it called a camper, cheater, or other nonsenical adjectives.
    Most of all, though, I want to have some fun playing this with some friends no matter how good or bad we are.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare is hit stores on November 3rd, 2014, on both PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4.

ChrisValentine
    What I'm Currently Dying In: Urban Trial Freestyle and Dark Souls 2.

I keep playing this game and then something else will come along and said game will be shelved for a bit. This game has the reputation of being a brutal game for beginners... although this one is easier than its two predecessors.

The time I last died was... painfully annoying. I'd been rolling around and dodging a fury of spear attacks from two enemies. I was managing to get behind them and jabbing my Fire Infused Longsword into their spines for a critical hit. I got both down to next to no health. I then got slightly cocky... I unequipped my Old Knight Shield, held my Longsword in both hands and went to finish them both off with one combo. I succeeded... until I jumped backwards slightly too far and got an exploding fireball in my face by an enemy I totally forgot about. One hit kill. Worst part? I hadn't collected my souls from my previous death.

If you hadn't guessed already, I'm currently playing Dark Souls II. Each time I play one of these games, I realise why I love them so much. The difficulty and the sense of achievement when you succeed in an area you're having trouble in. The atmosphere grips you and you'll struggle to make it let go... so it's firmly got me in its grasp... well, until BloodBorne.

The other game I'm probably having too much fun in, is Urban Trial Freestyle.

The game is of the side scrolling genre. You're basically on a Trials Bike and you have to complete the level in the fastest time possible or with the highest score. For the Score Levels you'll need to jump as high as you can at the checkpoint, or jump the furthest distance and even try to rotate as much as you can between two markers... basically backflip the hell out of it!

I'm pretty decent at understanding how to get over obstacles; from simple jumps to climbing up over a car, up on top of a truck and then jumping up to a bridge. Your skill is tested constantly, and you'll need to concentrate on having the right amount of acceleration to get to where you need to be but not too much that you end up overshooting and face planting a wall. You'll also need to get the bike at the right angle. Tilting the left analog stick adjusts the driver to put weight forwards and backwards on the bike, which will change the momentum and balance.
    I'm actually just playing this for pure entertainment and not to get trophies... which is pretty rare for me. I find if I'm not aiming for something in a game (those glorious trophies), it bores me. But this game I throw on just to have fun.

Dark Souls 2 was release for PlayStation 3 on March 11th, 2014, and like many other games sits unsealed atop my shelf.
    Urban Trial Freestyle was released for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita on February 19th, 2013, and is available on the PlayStation Store.

What I'm Praying to Finally Play: DriveClub

Well, at the moment I'm holding off playing DriveClub properly. You know, the game that was a delayed for a year. Well, it's released but still broken. The first few weeks you couldn't even get online or make a Club. The point of DriveClub is to be part of a Club and compete against other Clubs and drivers in multitude of different ways. These range from coming first in a race (...obviously), to doing the most insane sideways drifts possible on certain corners. The fact that the "Club" part wasn't even accessible on launch kind of ruins the name "DriveClub". That's like Apple boasting about how amazing the new iPhone is, releasing it and having the "phone" part not working... they may as well just call it an "i", which is the same case with "Drive".

From lack of patience I have been on a few times and done some events. The few events I've done, however, I've throughly enjoyed. The cars all feel pretty dialled, sadly they're still a tiny bit 'arcadey' (a bit like Forza), but easy to pick up and just go flat out.

The visuals are gorgeous... Everything; the sky, the roads, the scenery and most of all, the cars look incredible. Something else that's still not in the game yet (that DriveClub boasted about) is the dynamic weather, but hey, I bought the game and have the choice to play, unlike the free PS+ version that has been suspended 'till further notice. Damn broken promises.

DriveClub was released for PlayStation 4 on October 7th, 2014, and has been slammed by critics and fans alike for being an incomplete mess.
    Last edited by Nagflar; 11-20-2014 at 01:04 PM.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Negator

Good read this month, guys!

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Administrator

Between Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty...hard to pick!
    I had a threesome last night, there were a couple of no shows but I still had a good time!

Royal Flush X2

I really enjoyed Final Fantasy V. I've been in a Castlevania mood just finish Aria of Sorrow and now playing Dawn of Sorrow. Also mixing in Lords of Shadow 1 which I already have the plat but enjoying the experience again. Will land up getting Lord of Shadow 2.

Local Drunk

Good read as always

I'm currently switching between AC: Unity and Far Cry 4.

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Im switching between FarCry 4 and Little Big Planet 3, and after a week will be playing a lot of Pokemon, that will be my month of nov, december, and maybe january,

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by omnislash View Post
    I really enjoyed Final Fantasy V. I've been in a Castlevania mood just finish Aria of Sorrow and now playing Dawn of Sorrow. Also mixing in Lords of Shadow 1 which I already have the plat but enjoying the experience again. Will land up getting Lord of Shadow 2.
    I get ya. I was playing Symphony of the Night a lot a few months ago, and having never played it before it left a really good impression.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

PRO Member

I really enjoy reading these every month. For me, this month will just consist Assassin's Creed and then more Assassin's Creed. Bought both at launch and am having a blast with Unity. I'm sure Rogue will be just as enjoyable.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Cap America was good dumb fun. would like to play batman lego 3 as well but will wait for a major price drop (guaranteed to happen lol!) good job guys

Hunter-Scholar-Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Man-023 View Post
    Cap America was good dumb fun. would like to play batman lego 3 as well but will wait for a major price drop (guaranteed to happen lol!) good job guys
    It is imperative that I restrain myself this upcoming Black Friday to purge my bank account on games. LEGO Batman 3 being one of a handful of new releases that I must, must, must gorge myself on. I will resist! I must! I will...

The Road So Far And The Road Ahead
    `Best Trophy Checklist (2014)
    `Checklist Spotlight #2 Winner (2014)
    `2nd place Trophy Checklist (2013)

Currently Playing
    `Batman: Arkham Knight [95%]
    `AC: Syndicate [6%]
    `Helldivers [26%]

Signature & Avatar

`courtesy of DaRe_xLw

Royal Flush X2

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    I get ya. I was playing Symphony of the Night a lot a few months ago, and having never played it before it left a really good impression.
    Surprise you never played it before but glad you liked it. I remember renting it back when it came out and it was amazing. Still love the music to it. I bought a used copy on Ps1 back in the Ps2 era around 2005 and it went for $30.00 which was expensive but it was worth it as I've played it several times. Now all this talk about it makes me want to play it again.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Another good read! I'm excited about Assassin's Creed Unity as well as Lego Batman 3.

Neospoon, I feel your pain. I'm having a hard time getting though Tomb Raider Anniversary too. I defeated it on PS2 but now I can't get past the T-rex. Good luck to you on getting the plat!

Editorial Team

Quote Originally Posted by emosgirl View Post
    Neospoon, I feel your pain. I'm having a hard time getting though Tomb Raider Anniversary too. I defeated it on PS2 but now I can't get past the T-rex. Good luck to you on getting the plat!
    Try doing the adrenaline shots on the T-Rex when you get him charging at you
    I'm taking a break from it right now. I think all I have left is the time trials and one trophy I mist on lost island.
    Working on: The next platinum trophy!
    come join the stream:
    http://www.twitch.tv/neospoon