Currently Playing (December 2014 Edition)

This is a discussion on Currently Playing (December 2014 Edition) within the Features and Editorials forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Awesome Banner by ERICVOLTAGE Editor's Foreword So we've finally reached the final month of the year. 2014 has been one ...

Kiwi Defender

Currently Playing (December 2014 Edition)

Awesome Banner by ERICVOLTAGE

Editor's Foreword

So we've finally reached the final month of the year.

2014 has been one annoying year for me on a personal level, so I'm glad it's finally coming to an end. That said, it wasn't an uneventful one, beginning with the fact that the Review Team got changed to the Editorial Team. Since then, we've been running this editorial every month, publishing every month without a fail, and featuring guests such as Artemis, Ooga, Davey and eventual Editorial Team members neospoon and TerminalPhoenix.

I'd just like to use this space thank those few people who've supported this feature all this time and that keep reading it every month. It gives us a reason to actually put the effort into it, besides it being our (unpaid) job to do so. So thanks folks, and happy holidays. May next year the site still be up and we're still sharing with you our thoughts on what we've played and what we're looking forward to every month.

TerminalPhoenix
    What I'm Currently Playing: Assassin's Creed: Rogue

Yup, this is happening.

You see, Ubisoft can pretend all it wants that this is a new game in the series, dangling new and improved shiny little objects to cloud our judgment, but we all know better. Assassin’s Creed Rogue is a detailed expansion to Black Flag, with flair of Assassin’s Creed III thrown in the mix. Heck, let’s just call it AC III: Black Flag and be done with it!

The overall plot here is simple and familiar. You train as a Jedi and then turn over to the dark side. I mean, you go to Hogwarts to be a good wizard and then you change your name, lose your nose and become a master of the dark arts. Wait, that’s not it. One second you’re an assassin, and in a blink of an eye you’re questioning your brotherhood’s beliefs to the point of no return. Bingo bango bongo, you are now a Templar. (I knew I’d get it eventually. Phew!)

If you’re not suffering from Assassin’s Creed fatigue, then you’re in luck! Because wouldn’t you know it, Assassin’s Creed Rogue reeks of familiarity. The gameplay is near identical to Black Flag’s, the locations and people you meet are recycled from Assassin’s Creed III and, look! More ships! There are a few new and interesting ingredients to this all-too-familiar soup however. For one, we have a brand new type of enemy called a stalker. They hide and function similarly to how other players stalk in AC multiplayer of yester years and makes for a nice addition. You can also be boarded by other ships, and would you look at that, your ship can be upgraded with new toys. Lastly, you now have a main character that has a bit of a personality, even if he’s a bit too angry too often (he’s Irish after all).

While AC Rogue feels familiar, it is still as much fun as AC games tend to be. You stab, explore and collect. And if you have to endure a tailing mission here or there to get to the good stuff, well, it’s a small price to pay, eh?

Assassin’s Creed: Rogue was released on PlayStation 3 on November 11th, 2014 in North America.

What I'm Looking Forward to this Month: Dragon Age: Inquisition

If you’ve never played a Dragon Age game before, stop reading this and go out there and regain your honor as a gamer! Do it, do it now! I may be exaggerating a tad bit, but DA has always been a strong part of my life as a gamer. The first game was amazing, the second, more of an acquired taste/guilty pleasure, but the third, the third looks like a must-have. DA Inquisition looks like a contender among the Skyrims of recent memory, a devourer of personal life and a black hole of awesomeness.

There is a myriad of attractive features to be had here. The graphics are stunning, the map is huge, and the amount of content is staggering. It is said that the main story takes about 90 hours to complete, and by then you will have unlocked maybe half of the overall map. There are alliances to be made, sides to choose and many of important decisions to be made. Most importantly, this is a game that I am looking forward to making my own. The world of Dragon Age has a rich history, and it is a world I have forged already by playing the first two games. I look forward to picking up where I left off, and continuing my journey through a land of people, monsters, and most importantly, of dragons.

Prepare to slash and gash at dragons as Dragon Age: Inquisition releases on PlayStation 4 on November 18th.

neospoon
    Maybe it’s a better idea to get more of my backlog done instead of buying a PS4 with 3 games and add them to that ever growing log. I decided to do the last… A new console, all kinds of releases the last couple of weeks. What to get, what to play?

What I’m shooting at and fighting my way through: Battlefield 4, Injustice: Gods Among Us: Ultimate Edition

As some of you might have noticed I like my share of FPS games; not too much, but I just need stuff to shoot at or things to blow up sometimes, which you can perfectly do in Battlefield 4. So that’s what I did. I have yet to start the campaign, which will probably be done by the end of this year.

Started out with the multiplayer on this one, which is pretty good. I read all kind of things about the game being patched like crazy making it (almost) unplayable. I never noticed any of that though. It feels a lot like Battlefield 3, which is good. It looks really nice and is easy to get used to, and yes you can destroy a lot!

What’s even more fun is to enjoy the Multiplayer with friends, so I asked MadMardigan_88 if he wanted to join me, which he did. Normally the trophies for multiplayer are beyond crazy and take a lot of grinding, so I was prepared for that. Luckily the online trophies for Battlefield 4 aren’t anything like its predecessor. You can even go out and say they’re easy! Only trophy that was a bit... just a bit annoying, was the one where you’d have to get 45 kills with a specific pistol, which you would unlock after about 320+ pistol kills.

So Battlefield 4, I’m enjoying it, thinking about the DLC (which I hardly do). Nothing really bad for me to say. Only thing that is pretty confusing is the ingame Battlelog. They put a lot of stats in the game itself except the ones I care about, like amount of kills/weapon etc…

Since it’s included in this months PSPlus IGC, I’d thought to try out Injustice and see if I liked it - and I do! What’s better than fighting with all of DC’s favorite superheroes and villains? (Probably MKvsDCU).

The game itself feels a bit slow and the moves feel heavy compared to some other fighting games coming from NetherRealm Studios. Nonetheless, it’s still awesome, looks great on PS4 and is easy to get used to, especially if you’ve played any of the previous Mortal Kombat games on PS3.

Trophywise, the game isn’t half bad. The online part is really doable, nothing hard there. Win 10 ranked matches could have been a pain if you’d have to get them in a row, but you don’t. Most of the offline trophies can be done in practice mode or with a 2nd controller. The only part that will probably be hard/really difficult is the S.T.A.R. Lab Missions, where you need to acquire 3 stars on all 240 missions and the different battles you will have to win, but I don’t know because I haven’t started on those yet.

I do have some issues with this game though, and I bet I’m not the only one. For instance, the multiplayer is region locked. That’s right, region locked… So that means I can’t play with any of my friends outside of Europe… And even if I try to invite a friend that’s closer to home it won’t connect at times… Every random fight works like it should, but I want to play with people I know, not just some random stranger who occasionally ragequits.

Battlefield 4 was released for Playstation 3 on October 29th, 2013 and Playstation 4 on November 29th, 2013.
    Injustice: Gods Among Us was released for Playstation 3 on April 2013, and November 2013 on PS4. The PS4 Ultimate Edition is available for all Playstation Plus subscribers this Month.

What I'm going to start on soon:
    Secret Ponchos

A game that has been on my radar for some time is Secret Ponchos. There was not a lot of info available for a long time but finally it's here. I can't wait to take on other outlaws and play online a lot. I've downloaded and installed it just not touched it yet.

So it's sort of a duel game, but you can also go in gunsblazing on an 4v4 or 8v8 match. I can't really tell much more about this game, just go look for yourself and I bet you will have an awesome time playing with friends.

Secret Ponchos is available for the PS4 and was released on December 2nd. The game is part of Dcember's Instant Game Collection for Plus subscribers.

Demetrios
    What I've continued to play for months (years): MLB 14: The Show

If there is one thing in this world I truly love, it is baseball. Herein lies the reasoning behind me playing a game that came out 8 months (7 for PS4) ago that I got on release. Let the great debate on sports games ensue in the comments. I for one will continue buying a new baseball game each year until I stop playing video games (hopefully never). The Show has been a phenomenal series throughout its life on PlayStation consoles.

I normally start out when I get the game playing a bunch of exhibition games to get the platinum. Once that is finished I start multiple RttS (Road to the Show) players, and battle my way through the minor leagues to reach the fabled major league "show". This lasted me a few months in past years, however this year SCE San Diego made the game more plausible in that when you are absolutely dominating the competition you will get a call up. After reaching the majors with both my batter and my pitcher, I feel accomplished and I commence on my Franchise.

I like to start a franchise with a young team with a little promise and trade away all of their "veterans" for more young pieces. This makes my team worse and makes the game a bit more realistic for me, in that I can actually lose on the harder difficulties. I have to struggle through the game, using my bullpen every game while they deteriorate from overuse. It's been going well as I currently have a 27-16 record and am loving every minute I play, even if I earned all the trophies 7 months ago. Then when I finish a game I check to see how my players are stacking up on the "League Leaders" section as well as the "All-Star Voting" section. Check out the CPU controlled teams trading block, and make sure my scouts are scouting the right players for the June draft.

The new features on the PS4 version were well worth the wait. From the superb graphics to the 1000's of unique fans in the stands. Seriously, these graphics are legit... I can tell you who the player is without needing a jersey or a name on their back by looking at them, for they actually look like their real life counterparts. These are some of the many reasons you can probably catch me playing this game up until next year's game comes out.

MLB 14: The Show released on the PS3/Vita on April 1st, 2014, as well as on the PS4 on May 6th, 2014

What I'm actually purchasing and excited to play: Game of Thrones: Episode 1 - Iron From Ice

Ah, we progress from my favorite thing to my favorite television show. Prior to December 2nd, I had been in a bit of a funk as far as gaming goes. Having not purchased anything since Destiny, I pretty much exclusively played MLB 14 ever since I got bored of Destiny. Lo and behold we get a Game of Thrones based game. Another "game" from Telltale Games surrounding a popular TV show that will be loved and heralded as Game of the Year, although it's just a point and click novel. For those unaware (get with the damn times), Game of Thrones is an HBO fantasy series based on the A Song of Fire and Ice novels by George R. R. Martin.

The "game" is centered around House Forrester, a house that has not been introduced in the show, but can be found in the books. It should take you about 2 hours to blow through the episode. Fair warning, if you are not caught up with the show and do not want spoilers - do not play this game yet. The game starts off after season 3 of the show. If you aren't there yet, please don't let a point and click game spoil this outstanding show for you.

The game does have characters in it made famous by the show, with their actors from the show playing their voices in the game. Including Natalie Dormer , Peter Dinklage , Lena Headey , and Iwan Rheon . Other than the fact that this is not really a game, it is pretty fantastic. It plays just like an episode of the show, and if you are as immersed in the GoT universe as I am, you will love every minute. Also, if for some reason you are completely inept and cannot complete a point and click game without a guide, we got one of those - Iron From Ice Trophy Guide.

Game of Thrones: Episode 1 - Iron From Ice released for PS4 on December 2nd, 2014. The PS3 version will be available on December 9th, 2014. Episode 1 is available on the PlayStation Store for $4.99, or you can buy the season pass is available for $24.99

Nagflar
    What I've been fooling with this month: Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed

Some of you may recall I mentioned I was looking forward to this game a few months ago, and here I am to prove I wasn't lying.

Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed is a weird beat 'em up where you go around a faithfully recreated Akihabara (a district in Tokyo, Japan, home to all things anime/videogame related) beating people to a pulp and taking their clothes off so they burn to their deaths in broad daylight (they're vampires, you see!), all while uncovering the plot behind their appearance and trying to restore peace and order to dear AKiba after being turned into a vampire yourself.

The game is as werid as it sounds, but it's fun as hell. Being able to customize your character and dress him (or her) up with weird outfits such as maid uniforms is strangely entertaining, and all the different "fighting styles" with which you can undress your opponent are fun to watch. The game is also flooding with homages, parodies and easter eggs to many popular Japanese series such as JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and Fist of the North Star, so people who enjoy the stuff are bound to take a liking to the game, its cheesyness and its clichéd storyline (not to mention the hilarious dialogue choices).

I recommend everyone to try this thing, even if just out of curiosity. It's not exactly the best game ever, and it has quite a few issues such as loading times and sudden framerate drops, but it's still very enjoyable.

Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed was released for PlayStation 3 and Vita on August 12th and for PlayStation 4 on November 25th.

What I'm looking forward to t his month: Kingdom Hearts 2.5 ReMIX

It's finally here! The Collection we all knew was coming out and we were all looking forward to !

Featuring the games where the gameplay improved drastically (and the story went to a highly convoluted hell), the 2.5 ReMIX includes Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix, Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep Final Mix and a theatre collection of Kingdom Hearts Re:coded's cutscenes. The Final Mix versions include a bunch of stuff people who never imported them have ever seen (outside YouTube, that is), such as new bosses, weapons and the like, so if you've done everything there was to do when you played them on your PS2 and PSP, you've now got new junk to look forward to!

I'm really looking forward to playing through these games again, for I consider KH2 and BBS to be the highest points of the series as far as the gmapleay goes. Heck, I was so excited I even tried to pre-order the Collector's Edition, but alas, the damn thing was out of stock before I knew it .

Either way, it's a good month to be a Kingdom Hearts fan, and now that all games have been ported to the last generation, I am sure we can all look forward to some big news regarding Kingdom Hearts 3 and its release in the following months.

Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX was released for PlayStation 3 on December 2nd to the joy of thousands of fans.
    Last edited by Demetrios; 12-19-2014 at 07:47 AM.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

PRO Member

I have played a TON of Dragon Age Inquisition this past 4 weeks, so I say to TerminalPhoenix: Ignore the Bioware hate and embrace the Inquisition! (That sounded better in my head...).
    Anyway, you will enjoy what you see -- and, more importantly, what you play!!!

Avy and 10K Checklist Elite Bar by DaRe

"It's not the critic who counts. The credit goes to the man who is actually in the arena." --
    Theodore Roosevelt.

I don't expect to win an argument when I'm outnumbered -- but sometimes you just have to stand.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

GTA V next gen replaying the story and really feeling the online now

Galaxy beauty pirate

Some interesting games you blokes are playing..

Game of thrones - Haven't watched the serie, so I guess the game is a no go for me until I watch it. I'm actually pretty curious about the game.
    a
    Akiba's trip - Might try that one on my Vita one day..
    KH 2.5 - I still haven't played 1.5 (that huge backlog), but I'm more interested in 2.5.

I've picked up gaming again, but slowly. Currently playing and enjoying Tales of Hearts r on my Vita.
    Aside of that, I'm also playing Candy crush soda.

Well done guys and happy holidays!
    Sig by Ramon

Lvl 5 - Silver

Nice read. It's Lena Headey btw, not Headley. ;-) I've read ASoIaF twice and never once noticed the name Forrester. Guess they're at the very bottom of the most unimportant names in the books.

I'm currently playing Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen (great mix of Skyrim and Dark Souls for those who love pure and lengthy RPGs) and Mass Effect 2 (bought the trilogy recently). Afterwards it'll be Hitman for me (PS+ trilogy). Also I'm still cleaning up D&D Chronicles of Mystara and Titan Attacks. Retrospective I wish I've never tried them but as they're in my trophy list now I'll need them to get to 100%.

DELTA CUBES, DELTA CUBES!

Quote Originally Posted by i667090375202107 View Post
    Nice read. It's Lena Headey btw, not Headley. ;-) I've read ASoIaF twice and never once noticed the name Forrester. Guess they're at the very bottom of the most unimportant names in the books.

I'm currently playing Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen (great mix of Skyrim and Dark Souls for those who love pure and lengthy RPGs) and Mass Effect 2 (bought the trilogy recently). Afterwards it'll be Hitman for me (PS+ trilogy). Also I'm still cleaning up D&D Chronicles of Mystara and Titan Attacks. Retrospective I wish I've never tried them but as they're in my trophy list now I'll need them to get to 100%.
    Yeah typo on Headey, and yes they have a very minor part in the books.
    Avy by DaRe_xLw

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I was going to post a few days ago, but decided to wait until after the holiday since I figured I would have at least a few more games. Actually ended up getting the chance to play through Star Ocean: Second Evolution on PSP at the start of the month. Great game that I'm glad I found and now have played through the whole series. I just finished getting plats on the Hitman HD Trilogy, Prototype 2, and Neverdead recently. Been working on and almost finished with Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories, BlazBlue: Continuum Shift EXTEND (need Abyss items) and Arkham City GOTY DLC. Been having a lot of fun playing the new Super Smash Bros. and Hyrule Warriors this Christmas. Also, started Dark Souls 2 very recently. Bought Ar nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star and Legend of Korra since it was on sale. Possibly picking up KH 2.5 Remix soon as well, BBS is my favorite of the series so it will be fun to play with new stuff and on the big screen. December has been a great month for gaming for me and I'm looking forward to next year's lineup.

Trophy Guide Grand Master

I finished off AC Rogue, Game of Thrones Episode 1 and Tales from the Borderlands Episode 1 and I must say having played all the Telltale games they've released, Game of Thrones is by far my favorite.

AC Rogue did feel like an expansion of ACIV, BUT I will say it was nice to see how ACIII, ACIV and AC Unity were all tied together from this one game AND even better it was nice to play an AC game WITHOUT having to play any MP

Another excellent article from the Editorial Team and I look forward to another year of reading these