Currently Playing (January 2015 Edition)

This is a discussion on Currently Playing (January 2015 Edition) within the Features and Editorials forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Editor's Foreword First of all, (late) Happy New Year folks! Here's hoping you enjoyed that end of the year party, ...

Kiwi Defender

Vice City

Currently Playing (January 2015 Edition)

Editor's Foreword

First of all, (late) Happy New Year folks! Here's hoping you enjoyed that end of the year party, performed whatever (if any) beginning of the year rituals you have and have started this wondrous 2015 with the right foot.

Secondly, apologies for the lateness in this feature's release, but I'm starting to think that everyone's getting used to it. This was, in no small part, my fault, so you know who to blame (supposing you wish to).

Let's hope 2015 sees the site stay alive, expand and improve, with the community playing a bigger role than it has before.

So without further ado, let's proceed. This month, outside of the gray people, ooga decided to help again, with Yoo_Hoo_Sniper joining him to make his first appearance in this feature.

What I'm Currently Playing: Dragon Age: Inquisition, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

Stay a while and listen.

This is the story of one of the best games of 2014. Some might say it is the best Game of 2014. I would be one of those silly people, delving in absolute statements. While we’re at it, I might channel my inner Doug Kerr (inventor of the Caps Lock) and say “THIS IS THE BEST GAME EVER!!” There. I said it. Now I can calm down.

You see, Dragon Age: Inquisition is the perfect Dragon Age game. The original had a great cast of characters, amazing lore and a strong story; the second had strong combat mechanics and a very good user interface. But Inquisition, my dear virtual friends, is the amalgamation of both, climaxing with PS4 graphics and more of, well, everything. I find myself halfway through the main campaign (perhaps?), and I have spent the better part of 50 hours thoroughly enjoying every second of exploration, killing baddies, reading the lore and having very involved conversations with friends and complete strangers. For the first time since Skyrim, I lose complete track of time and find myself inept at caring to eat, drink or even visit the little boys’ room. While these are tell-tale signs of a serious addiction problem, and you may be right, it is such an enjoyable waste of time that I often can’t wait to go home and play some more. I must show some self-restraint for alas, we all have to do our stupid laundry.

When I’m not playing DA: Inquisition on Nightmare difficulty, I play Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare. Why? Well…there’s a reason. Just give me some time to think of one. Oh, right! It’s fun! While no one plays Call of Duty for the story, I will say that the campaign is not too shabby. I vaguely cared about the well-being of the world, as it rocked back and forth in the palm of my hand. Advanced Warfare really shines in its ability to make shooting tiny metal things into people on the other team really really fun. It’s even more fun when you play with friends. You curse together when you have a bad game, and rejoice when you have a good round. It is the ever spinning wheel of multiplayer goodness, and with Advanced Warfare, the wheel keeps spinning! (That’s a good thing!). Also, when I grow up, I want to be Kevin Spacey.

Dragon Age: Inquisition was released on PlayStation 3 & 4 on November 18th, 2014 in North America, and it is mainly responsible for the utter and absolute destruction of TerminalPhoenix’ free time.
    Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare was released on PlayStation 3 & 4 on November 4th, 2014 in North America, and it’s a jolly good time. BOOM HEADSHOT!

What I'm Looking Forward to this Month: Life is Strange

First, I found out that there was a non-Telltale Games episodic adventure game being released in January. “Cool”, I said. And then, I saw the reveal trailer and the rest played out a bit like a famous Calvin Candie line. “Gentleman, you had my curiosity. Now you have my attention.” True story.

Life is Strange is a brand new IP from Square Enix. It follows the story of Max, a girl who has the power to rewind time and is searching for a missing colleague at her school. A few things right off the bat: this is coming from the creators of Remember Me, a game that I loved for thinking outside the box and trying something new. It was shallow in its exploration of said features, but they get a slow clap from me for being original. More importantly, I am a sucker for episodic adventure games. Telltale Games has done a great job of making this type of game popular and I’m all for it. Most importantly though, I think this is a great medium for a game that plays with time travel. Each chapter builds and evolves around the choices you make in previous episodes and I love that. Life is Strange is said to be an interactive indie movie and I give it a lot of props for having the guts to have a lead female character. 2014 was a strong year for female leads and overall awesome characters in gaming, and I hope Max continues to build on that.

Look forward to jump into a whole new world of nostalgia and time travel when Life is Strange releases on PlayStation 3 & 4 on January 30th, 2015

What I've been playing: The Wolf Among Us, Far Cry 4

Mirror Mirror blah blah able, tell me more about this fable...
    Once upon a time there was this place called Fabletown.
    And from what I can tell you, a lot of crazy stuff is about to go down.

This game is truly awesome, I loved every episode, chapter and choice I had to make.

You are the sherrif in Fabletown and there is something really bad going on. What seems to be a
    (standard) murdercase turns out to be something huge...

During your investigation a lot of fables will cross your path, each one of them having something to do with the bigger picture. It is so well written that it will give you a hard time to make the right decisions at some points. Whatever you pick, you will always be left with a surprise.

I really don't want to spoil anything for those of you who haven't played this game yet, so make sure to grab a copy of The Wolf Among Us while it's still on sale (at the EU PSN store, at least).

When I bought my PS4 it came with Far Cry 4. I played for a bit and was somewhat dissappointed with the game. I took a break from it for about 2 weeks only to start playing it again a couple of days ago. Of course it looks absolutely gorgeous and plays really good, but somehow I felt it wasn't anything new compared to Far Cry 3, just a different setting. Everything Far Cry 3 had is in this next installment: from capturing outposts to uncovering the map by liberating towers.

Withouth comparing it against its predecessor, it is quite a good game. You are Ajay Ghale, and you
    return to Kyrat to complete your mothers dying wish: is spread her ashes over the land of Lakshmana. From there on all hell breaks loose.

Even though it has a lot of similarities, I still enjoyed playing this. It may sound weird but the best thing for me was the music they picked for the intro/credits, which somehow tells you what you can do at the start of the game. That's why I've picked this video below instead of the official trailer (Editor's note: It has The Clash, so I approve it).

The Wolf Among Us was released for PlayStation 3 on October 15th, 2013 and PlayStation Vita before the end of 2014. Retail versions for the PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita were released in November 2014

Far Cry 4 was released November 18th, 2014 for PS3 and PS4.

What I'm looking forward to: Resident Evil HD

Can you believe it has been 19 years ago since we first got introduced to Resident Evil on Playstation? Is this really happening? I can't wait to play this. Even though I'm more a fan of the Silent Hill franchise, I would love to get my hands dirty on the one game that really started the genre for a lot of us. Returning to Raccoon City and discovering the mansion again - I really can't wait!

Resident Evil HD will launch on January 20th, 2015 and will be sold digitally. The game will be available for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4.

What's been mining away at my time:
    Minecraft: PS4 Edition

Let me start by saying that I've never played any version of Minecraft until the PS4 version. I had always been curious of it, what with people devoting so much time and energy to a game with those incredible graphics. However, I continued seeing a $30 price tag attached and that was enough to keep me away, until one magical day I heard it would be releasing on PlayStation consoles and I decided that, when it came to PS4, I would try it out, regardless of price. The PS3 version released and I figured the PS4 version would not be far behind. Boy was I correct in that assumption - a mere 9 months later, the game was mine at last.

On September 4th, when the game finally released on a random Thursday, I quickly added it to my downloads and threw on some music to pump me up. I ended up going into a server with 3 other friends and playing for a grand total of 25 minutes. However, this was mainly because I was busy writing the guide for inFamous First Light (shameless plug, I know).

Fast-forward 2.5 months and a group of friends were playing Minecraft regularly, for hours at a time. I hopped on one day and was immediately hooked. This was mostly because they had everything cool already, and I joined right in and got all sorts of nifty stuff from their previous hard work. All they kept talking about was this update that was coming that would bring horses to the game. I just said "oh, ok," while secretly thinking of the South Park episode where Randy learned how to tame a horse in Minecraft. Eventually I just joined a game with Yoo_Hoo_Sniper, where he got me a bunch of trophies, then with 00Highway00, whose villagers got me the final trophy and my new .

So now that I had the platinum, I figured I would be done with this game. Wrong. I continue to play for hours at a time, multiple times a week. Now there are witches, huts, horses, and other fun stuff to go after. At the same time, I can always dump a bucket of lava on one my friends houses (if it looks cooler than mine). Then I steal all their stuff they left behind and build up my own fortress. This goes back and forth until a truce is called, or until someone else gets involved, but it's all in good fun. My eventual goal is to build a castle of obsidian and call it Castle Black (original, I know [Editor's note: could be considered racist, too ]). What happens instead is I come up with more ways to hide my base camp from the people I'm playing with. And better ways to kill them if they try and get to me. But that's just how I play, I hear there are tons of worlds devoted to a main theme. Some of them taking years to complete ('s, amirite?).

Minecraft: PS4 Edition released on September 4th, 2014, and is available both digitally on the PlayStation store and at retail stores.

What I might dabble a little into: Citizens of Earth

Staring at the list of this month's games being released, I was not overly enthused to participate again in the Currently Playing feature. I don't really play many different games anymore, and I rarely get excited about one being released. When Nag posted the list I must admit I had not even heard of most of them, which got me curious. There were a few on the list that I had heard of at least - Grim Fandango, Dying Light, Saints Row IV, and Resident Evil HD. However, none of these interested me that much (well, maybe Grim Fandango, but somebody quickly posted that they wanted that one [Editor's note: ]). A few Google searches later I found Citizens of Earth.

Citizens of Earth is another indie game (yes, another one) set to release on PS4 and Vita. In this game you play as the Vice President of Earth. After winning the long drawn out election, you head back to your hometown for some relaxation. On the next day however, you wake up to some strange things going on. You must investigate (I mean, you are the Vice President of the whole planet). Rather than get your own hands dirty though, you must recruit members of the town to do your bidding for you. You can recruit anyone from a Beekeeper, to a Baker, to the School Mascot, and even your own Mother.

Just watching the trailer and reading a few things about the game, it seems like a game that's suited for me and my tastes. It's a quirky looking RPG with some comedy mixed in to keep it fun, and it's being published by the almighty ATLUS. Also, I saw a similar theme mentioned in everything I read about the game - a comparison to EarthBound. If this game is anything like EarthBound, I think I'll have bundles of fun, and maybe some of you will too.

Citizens of Earth is scheduled to release in NA on January 20th, and January 21st in EU. It will be available for PS4 and Vita, and will cost a mere $14.99. However, there are said to be launch discounts of 20% (for PlayStation Plus subscribers), bringing the price down to $11.99.

What I'm currently shooting people in the face in: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

So, as I've moaned about seemingly non-stop, I have had hardly any gaming time. But when I have, I, along with "Timeless", have been playing Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare. As he said, a lot of people don't play it for the story, I on the other hand have never really had a problem with the story in any of the Call of Duty games... maybe I'm easily pleased? Kevin Spacey is just epic in Advanced Warfare and really added to the game and made it more "real". The storyline comes with a few nice little twists and a decent enough ending, although I found it very short and way too easy on Veteran, which was disappointing as I wanted a challenge.

The new mechanics are fun and easy enough to pick up. Your "Exo" suit is badass and makes killing people more Hollywood-esque. A grenade lands next to you, you glitch sideways across the screen, grab it and launch it back before jumping up and blurring forward to land up on a balcony, turn, sprint and slide next to a crate, just to pop up and puncture an enemies heart with a perfectly placed bullet... all within the space of three seconds. Basically... it's a lot more fast paced. This is a lot more evident in the online multiplayer.

I've been playing online with my girlfriend on split-screen (she's surprisingly good... which is annoying), and people are jumping around and killing people in ways that almost seem elegant. Just blurs of perfectly timed jumps and shots. I'm not as good as that, along with a lot of other people, so I've been treating it a bit like the previous games and forgetting I've got the "Exo" suit altogether, which gives the game and the matches a nice balance. There's also the option to join lobbies that have no "Exo" suits, if that's your preference.

All in all, I'm throughly enjoying playing Advanced Warfare... although my relationship with my girlfriend when she beats me... is not!

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare was released on November 4th last year for both PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4.

What I'm looking forward to this month: Dying Light

This game has been on my radar since it was first claimed to be a Dead Island sequel. Techland, the developers, have since said they disagreed with the Dead Island "creative vision". It's now transformed into something scarier and more exciting!

Dying Light has an awesome day/night cycle. During the 64 minute "Day" cycle, you'll have to scavenge for weapons and supplies... and supplies to craft weapons. You can also go around saving survivors and setting traps. So far this sounds pretty Dead Island-y. But for 7 minutes of the "Night" cycle, all hell breaks loose! Seven minutes of the "Night" cycle doesn't sound much, but according to Maciej Binkovski (the game designer), he's "seen a grown man cry during the night, so yeah, 7 minutes is definitely enough".

This might possibly be because in those 7 minutes, the zombies gain your abilities... they'll sprint after you! Think you can jump over a wall, climb up to a roof and bound from rooftop to rooftop to escape the horde of undead, same as you would in the day? Well, you'd be wrong... they'll be screaming at your heels every terrifying leap of the way... Those traps you didn't set, might be your last regret..

Be prepared to face the undead in Dying Light as it hits stores on January 27thon PlayStation 4.

What I am Currently Playing: Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters

I have been playing Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters this week and I must say it is better than I expected. I’m coming from a background in which I lack any knowledge of anything comic-related, so because of this game I may actually check out the movie (Editor's Note: don't bother; read the comics instead).The game mechanics have been pretty solid thus far and unlike most games I don’t mind how long it takes to complete this game.

Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters was released for PlayStation 3 on June 7th, 2011, and can be found at your local WalMart's garbage bin.

What I am Looking Forward to this Month: Dying Light

Nothing would better identify what I am looking forward to the most this month than sleep. Compelling, isn’t it? Dying Light is just over a week away from being released in the States and not only do I plan on staying awake to play it, but speaking in terms of the game, fighting for survival during the night will be a task. A task I hope to have friends awake to survive the experience with.

Dying Light is a first person perspective survival game that is setup in a quarantined city shunned off from the rest of society. You, the player, are set to search for resources that have the potential of saving not only you but your followers too. As the sun begins to fall, you cannot lay to rest, as the flesh-eating enemies come to feed on the living - slowly moving ever so close to camp.

Being turned off from lack of creative presence of Techland with the initial look and feel of Dead Island, I’m hoping the parkour aspect brings the environment to new heights. Get some food in your stomach and prepare for long a battle friends.

Be prepared to face the undead in Dying Light as it hits stores on January 27thon PlayStation 4.

Where I've been griefing people online: Red Dead Redemption

I played and loved the original Red Dead Redemption quite a while ago, but never got around to trying any of the DLCs outside of Undead Nightmare. Enter one of the PlayStation Store sales at the end last year, during which I bought the whole collection for something around $12. Originally, I only cared to pop up all the trophies I needed to get the completion up to 100%, but after bringing up the subject in the ChatBox and looking for people to help, I was told the cruel realities of such a task and how much of a bother it is. Since then, I've sporadically played, but instead of doing any trophy-related stuff (outside of the Singleplayer tasks and some easily-boosted stuff) I find myself just playing Free Roam, traveling on horse back throughout the desolate environments of the frontier and looking to kill any player I come across until they quit.

Surprisingly, I've had way more fun doing this now than back in the day, when I'd do Hideouts constantly and attempted to get to level 50. It's especially fun when there's about five people shooting the living hell out of each other in the middle of a town or desert, and given how old the game is already I'm pleased to see there's still such an active community on it.

That said, screw the lack of instant transportation - it's a chore to have to go to the nearest town.

Red Dead Rdemption hit the PlayStation 3 on May 18th, 2010 and was both a commercial and critical success. The game can be found in both its Game of the Year and regular edition at the PlayStation Store.

What is making me consider buying a PS4/Vita this month: Grim Fandango

I've never been a big fan of Point & Click games. The ones I've played I can count with a single hand, and even though I thoroughly enjoyed them, it's never been a genre I've been exactly fond of outside of two titles: Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango. Needless to say, back in E3 I was extremely joyous when I saw they'd be porting and updating the latter - until I realized I had no interest in buying a PS4 (let alone a Vita) anytime soon.

To those unfamiliar with it, Grim Fandango is a point & click game released all the way back in 1998 for computers, created by Tim Schafer and developed by the now-defunct Lucas Arts. The game was loved by everyone who played it, and old members from this site who haven't played it are bound to recognize some of its features thanks to legendary trophy-hunter Manny Calavera (who chose that username after the game's protagonist).

The game, as with pretty much everything Schafer's ever been involved with, features a lot of dark comedy, witty dialogues, charming characters and a very interesting setting - which in this case plays homage to Mexican culture, just like Guacamelee! would 15 years later. Couple it up with an incredible soundtrack and the experience is one no one forgets.

If you've enjoyed Telltale Games's series such as The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones or The Wolf Among Us, be sure to give Grim Fandango a try, for it is one of the reasons said games ever came to be.

Grim Fandango will hit stores on January 27th for both PlayStation 4 and Vita, but much to his annoyance, Nagflar won't be able to play it.
    Last edited by ooga; 01-26-2015 at 07:02 AM.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Rise Above

Sony HQ's

interesting read like always. good to read on other fellow trophy hunters gaming take on a broad variety of games and what to come.

Long Island, New York

Life is strange actually looks intriguing. I may check that out.

Also, I'm not racist, you're racist Nag.
    Avy by DaRe_xLw

Galaxy beauty pirate

Well done guys!

I'm still kinda out of the loop with games, but 'Life is strange' definitely looks interesting and appealing to me. Definitely want to try that one out. Grim Fandango also got me curious, being a point and click game and all. I don't have much experience with these and I would like to try it out. TWAU is still on my never ending list of games I have but haven't played yet.

Also, doing the laundry is my fave housewive job.
    Sig by Ramon

Long Island, New York

Note: Do not play Citizens of Earth until it gets a patch or something.

Shit has frozen/crashed about 25 times already

Including on the final boss battle in the same spot every time I attempt it.
    Avy by DaRe_xLw

Harvester of Souls

Kingdom of Westeros, Boletaria

Dat Resident Evil HD

That was a pretty awesome read actually . Nice work!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Glad that despite all the nonsense with the physical realease and late review copies, Dying Light is really quite good.