Currently Playing (February 2015 Edition)

This is a discussion on Currently Playing (February 2015 Edition) within the Features and Editorials forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; TerminalPhoenix What I'm Currently Playing: Assassin's Creed Unity: Dead Kings, Saints Row IV: Gat out of Hell Assassinís Creed: Unity ...

Kiwi Defender

Currently Playing (February 2015 Edition)

TerminalPhoenix
    What I'm Currently Playing: Assassin's Creed Unity: Dead Kings, Saints Row IV: Gat out of Hell

Assassinís Creed: Unity is many-a thing and Iíve been struggling to explain it to others. Iíve settled on describing it as a vexing PS4 game. It is bold, beautiful and immersive, all while being comfortable in flirting with triteness, inconsistency and worn-out ideals. For many, Unity is the embodiment of what is wrong with todayís game. It over-promises and under-delivers, and all too often disappoints as a result.

I take on Dead Kings now fully knowing what Unity is. Warts and all, I have truly enjoyed it. Ubisoft never ceases to amaze me in its ability to create an amazing canvas for all of its action. Sure, the writing, its characters and its purpose may be shallow, but Paris - Paris is beautiful. And when faced with the promise of the brand new city of Saint-Denis, well, I canít resist it (to be fair, free also has its appeal). Dead Kings is a piece of DLC that sees Arno battling a group of raiders sacking the tombs of French kings. There is a sense of freedom when you traverse the rooftops of the city, and the dichotomy between it and the claustrophobia of the catacombs make for a very interesting Assassinís Creed experience, one that channels its tomb raiding of yester-installments. Itís far too early to say yay or nay, but after playing the tragedy that is Assassinís Creed: Rogue, I find myself appreciating Unity for the things it does well more so than the things it lacks. I think Iíll enjoy Dead Kings.

I will begin with the simple statement that I am a weirdo. There should be a method to my madness, but I find it hard to explain. I read Buzzfeed and The New Yorker, often in the same day, heck, the same hour. So itís only natural that I go from games like Dragon Age: Inquisition, to Saintís Row IV: Gat out of Hell. I try to tell myself itís all about balance, but who am I kidding! I like to blow shit up in awesomely vulgar ways, and Gat out of Hell is a cheap excuse to indulge my ďnaughtyĒ side.

Dead Kings is a piece of downloadable content for Assassinís Creed: Unity released on PlayStation 4 on January 13th in North America, and a day later in Europe. Could be fun!
    Saintís Row IV: Gat Out of Hell was released on PlayStation 3 & 4 on January 20th and 23rd, in North America and Europe, respectively, and it sums up all of the sick fun stuff you would do in real life if you had no morals.

What I'm Looking Forward to this Month: Game of Thrones: Episode 2

The month of February is a dilemma wrapped in a mystery surrounded by a conundrum. It is one of those "letís see what happens" months. There is one big game, The Order: 1886, that has my curiosity, but it doesnít warrant a first day buy. Apotheon and Transistor are free games through PS+ and may be two platinums I will attempt. Maybe Iíll experiment a bit with Battlefield Hardline BETA. Lots and lots of maybes and perhapsies. One thingís for sure.

Game of Thrones Episode 2 is out and Iím excited to continue the adventure I started not so long ago. The art style is a surprisingly pleasant one and I have taken a liking to a few of the characters already. This is coming from someone who has read the books and watches the HBO series, but also one who admits that this is a slightly overrated franchise. I say that mainly because we donít know how it ends and, while Iím often a glass- quarter-full-type of person, I have a feeling George R.R. Martin has no idea how to put a nice, little red bow on this universe and has no intent to do so while heís still breathing. For that assumption slash reason, I am ever so hopeful that little snippets like this Telltale game will allow me a sub-story that has somewhat of a beginning, middle and end, and episode 2 is just a step in what promises to be a fun series.

Game of Thrones: Episode 2 ďThe Lost LordsĒ releases on PlayStation 3 & 4 on February 3rd.

neospoon
    What I've been playing: BioShock Infinite

Switching back to my PS3 for this month as I still have some pretty good games for it to play.

It has been more than a year back since I've purchased Bioshock Infinite.

What took me so long to finally start it? I have absolutely no idea, and I can't believe I waited all this time. In other words, this game is awesome! Even though the game itself is pretty straightforward and lineair.

The first time I stepped into the world of Columbia, the look of a city up in the air was breathtaking. From the lively streets to the cemetery and the airship, it looks absolutely gorgeous, and I believe it is one of the aspects that makes this game as good as it is.

Is there something I don't like? Yes, Handymen. These are so annoying and tough to beat. I kept escaping them through the skylines, but ofcourse they can electrify it, making it a short escape. Another thing I'm not really fond of is collectibles. And this game has tons of it. Missing one Infusion at the end of my first playthrough was pretty annoying, because you need to collect them all in one playthrough. I'm getting ready for my 1999 mode play as we speak. Having to grab all those infusions again.

Wish me luck...

Bioshock Infinitereleased on March 26th 2013 for PlayStation 3, and is available both digitally on the PlayStation Store and at retail stores.

What I'm looking forward to: Evolve

Today (Feb 10th) is the day that gives us Evolve.

For me, giant robots or monsters are always good, and a combination of both is even better (Pacific Rim) Even though Evolve will only give us the latter, this should be good! You can choose to either play as the monster or as a hunter. It allows for a 4 player co-op and a fifth player to join in as the monster. Or you being the monster against 4 other players.

As a Hunter (you guessed it) you must track down and kill the monster. There are several classes , each with their own abilities to track/trap the monster or support/heal your teammates. Playing as the monster, you get to pick from a couple of different ones. Your main goal is to wipe out the human team.

I haven't really heard much about a campaign mode, but there's supposed to be one. This probably is because the game's focus is on multiplayer. Either way, I really think this game might be something I would want to try.

Evolve released on February 10th, 2015 on PlayStation 4.

NeroRadec707
    What I'm Currently Playing:
    Dying Light, Resident Evil HD Remaster

Of course, I've been MIA lately from the site, but upon hearing about the Resident Evil HD Remaster release on PS3 and PS4 on January 20th, 2015, I knew I'd be back around. The original released on the PlayStation 1 back in 1996 and was remade for the GameCube in 2002. I played it endlessly then and find myself playing it nearly everyday now that it's been released again. What brought me back was the lack of a trophy guide for it on the site, so I gave myself the obligation to create that and get back into guide writing. Also, I inquired on rejoining the team here, helping with reviews and editorials and here we are.

Resident Evil HD Remaster comes back and breaths a bit of life into the old survival horror genre, taking a few steps back from the direction Capcom has headed with the series into the action genre. They have included 1080P HD support, updated audio, and tinkered with the stiff tank-like controls the original games were criticized greatly for (Editor's note: those are still there, sadly lol).

Dying Light is another release that has taken up a bit of my time (when I'm not playing Resident Evil, that is). It's Techland's latest zombie game, very reminiscent of Dead Island, another top-title zombie-slaying free-roam game. You play as our hero, dropped off by some government agency to recover some secret files on the isolated island of Harran, which is overrun with the undead and partially controlled by a vicious gang whose leadership covets and hoards much of the resources dropped to help the survivors. It feels to me like a mix of Far Cry 2 & 3 and Dead Island, especially since your character is trying to survive the hordes of zombies and conflicting factions of the island.

I have been enjoying the story missions a great deal, and with the parkour elements jumping and running up buildings sets the game apart from Dead Island, but not by much. The weapons and upgrades are fun, but nothing really innovative, and so far there has been a lack of guns. It does feature a cool multiplayer, where you can team up with your friends or other players near you in the story to complete it together. Also, there is a mode to allow a Hunter to invade your game and the goal is to hunt one another down and either kill the human player or destroy the nests of eggs.

Resident Evil HD was released for PlayStation 3 & 4 on January 20th.
    Dying Light was released for the PlayStation 4 on January 27th.

What I'm looking forward to: The Order: 1886

Not really looking forward to anything coming out this month. I'd rather play catch up on games such as Far Cry 4 and other titles. However, The Order: 1886 has intrigued me and I've been throwing around the idea of getting it. I hear very mixed things and it doesn't appear that it will have much replay value to risk spending full price on, though.

Prepare to face monstrocities in a Victorian setting when The Order: 1886 is released for PlayStation 4 on February 20th.

Artemis
    What I'm currently spending my time playing: Tales of Hearts R

Iím always happy when a new Tales game comes out, and I was especially excited to read that Tales of Hearts R would be released for the Vita. Itís really nice to be able to play a Tales games on the Vita. Tales of Hearts R isnít actually a new game; s came out in 2008 for the DS, but unfortunately only in Japan. Six years later, Bandai Namco finally decided to bring this game to the West and release it for the Vita. This remake (sorta) is called Tales of Hearts R.

What I like about this game (and other Tales games) is the gameplay and real time battle system. The story and characters are also enjoyable in this game. It reminds me a bit of Tales of Symphonia (battle system and titles-wise), but I havenít finished either this game nor Tales of Symphonia yet. Iím still not much in a gaming mood and have been behind for ages, so games donít progress that fast atm. That said, I can tell that this game is less time consuming than all the Tales games released for the PS3.

If youíre interested in this game and want to know more (on how to get the trophies for example), I suggest you check out Zeiharuís guide here.

Tales of Hearts R was released in North America for the Vita on November 11th, 2014.

What I'm looking forward to this month: Nothing

That's right. This month, there's really nothing that catters to my likes and interests. However, next month there's a certain game I only found out about a few months ago but that's definitely on my watch-list. You'll probably be able to guess what game it is, but if not, check March's feature to find out .

Nothing is one of few products to be released all day, every year, and can be found everywhere yet nowhere at the same time.

Nagflar
    What's been making me long for the PS2-era: Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

Lately I've been in a mood to play something that lacks any focus, and I remembered I had downloaded Grand Theft Auto: Vice City a few months ago, so I decided to just play that and play aimlessly, shooting strangers and running over fat people while listening to (and singing out-loud) She Sells Sanctuary and Owner of a Lonely Heart in what can only be described nowadays as a blocky and pixelated recreation of 1980s Miami, weird fashion sense included.

Needless to say, it's been fun as hell.

For anyone who isn't familiar with the GTA franchise (which is unlikely), they've all been open world games known as sandboxes since the third entry, reknowned for being needlessly violent and due to the amount of freedom you enjoy in them. Can't be arsed to play through the story? Then don't and enjoy the game's myriad of features and fool around as you see fit. Vice City is no exception, and for many of us, it's also the best one, for the setting's uniqueness and the game's features were great and gave you plenty of options you didn't find in GTA III, yet it didn't add an idiotic number of them to the point of being annoying due to not knowing what to do next (like it happened to San Andreas). Add one of the most diverse licensed soundtracks in the history of videogames and a story that pays homage to movies like Goodfellas, Scarface and even Miami Vice, and Vice City becomes a much more enjoyable experience than any GTA out there (except maybe V, which I haven't played).

Given how little I've played lately, I must say that playing Vice City over many of the games I haven't finished or started has been a wise choice, for it's a game I can leave and pick up again in short periods of time and that entertains me like few titles ever have.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City can be bought as a PlayStation 2 Classic on the PlayStation Store.

What the inner Dragon Ball fan in me is anticipating: Dragon Ball XenoVerse

A few months ago I remember turning my PS3 on and finding a message inviting me to participate in a beta for a game I'd never heard of, called "XenoVerse". After a quick search through Google I found out it's the next installment in the never-ending series of Dragon Ball games, this time taking the franchise on a different direction as it allows you to create your own character and follow an entirely new story set in the Dragon Ball universe (which closely resembles that of Dragon Ball Online, which I never played).

As Randomly Generated Hero, you must help Time Patrol Trunks restore the timeline after a couple of evil-doers attempt to manipulate history.
    Though I haven't bought a new Dragon Ball game since they released the last one for PS2, this sounds like the perfect chance to give the franchise a try on either my PS3 or a next-gen console, even more so when one takes into consideration that the story isn't the same thing you've known since the series first started in 1984. I'd wager its freshness ought to be more than enough to separate it from previous entries and allow me to have a good time, even if just for a short while.

Prepare to kick Frieza's ass in some way or another for the hundredth time when Dragon Ball XenoVerse hits stores on February 24th for Europe and 27th for NA.
    Last edited by DarkFox's Piss Bucket; 03-30-2015 at 12:43 AM.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Negator

Great read everyone!

I've been playing Doom 3 and Lollipop Chainsaw the past few weeks. Enjoying them both, but D3 is a loooong plat.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Rise Above

I must say that playing Vice City over many of the games I haven't finished or started has been a wise choice, for it's a game I can leave and pick up again in short periods of time and that entertains me like few titles ever have.
    Good read. damn right nagflar. i still prefer vice city over gta 5. vice city storyline and its in south beach. if only sony would release a ps4 faceplate

DELTA CUBES, DELTA CUBES!

Nice nice.

Also cool to see Arty back in action in these, although she cheaped out on half the post.

I'm playing more MLB, some Destiny with Faust, Dust: An Elysian Tail, and finishing up AC4 BF and its awful MP.
    Avy by DaRe_xLw

Galaxy beauty pirate

Quote Originally Posted by ooga View Post
    Nice nice.

Also cool to see Arty back in action in these, although she cheaped out on half the post.
    Shup, I did, but it comes out in March..
    Sig by Ramon

DELTA CUBES, DELTA CUBES!

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    Shup, I did, but it comes out in March..
    I wasn't aware they were making a Hannah Montana 2
    Avy by DaRe_xLw