Currently Playing (March 2015 Edition)

This is a discussion on Currently Playing (March 2015 Edition) within the Features and Editorials forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Banner provided by ERICVOLTAGE , care of Eric's Electric Banner Shop TerminalPhoenix What I'm Currently Playing: Far Cry 4, Hands ...

Kiwi Defender

Currently Playing (March 2015 Edition)

Banner provided by ERICVOLTAGE, care of Eric's Electric Banner Shop

TerminalPhoenix
    What I'm Currently Playing: Far Cry 4, Hands of Fate

Every time Far Cry 4 takes me on a psychedelic ride to Shangri La or drops me a beat about opium or heroin, I just can’t help myself but wanting to drop some English:

I still express yo, I don’t smoke weed or sess.
    ‘Cause it’s known to give a brother brain damage.
    And brain damage on the mic don’t manage.

Sorry, slight NWA tangent there. Ironically, that’s exactly how I feel about Far Cry 4. It is one gigantic tangent; a sand box game filled with a plethora of side quests over every hill (or mountain). But I digress…because this is one fantastically fun game. Much like its predecessor, it tickles me pink using wildlife against my enemies, and riding an elephant while destroying an entire compound is thrilling. Rambo would be proud (your pick, Rambo 3 or 4). Knowing full well what I was getting myself into, I am still in awe of the giant map and the smorgasbord of things to climb, kill, hunt or conquer. This should keep me quite busy.

A card game with a-choose-your-own-adventure premise that doesn’t quite stumble over its own ambition and is actually quite re-playable? In. So in! A great complement to the time suck that is Far Cry 4, Hand of Fate is best played in short bursts, although you could spend a whole day with it if you’d like. I’m not going to stop you. Most games out there are much ado about nothing, but so far, this has been both involving and rewarding. A neat trick for an Indie game made by Aussies. I quite like it.

Far Cry 4 was released on PlayStation 4 on November 18th, 2014 in North America, and has very little to do with crying, and more about stabbing, shooting and climbing. Oh, and riding mother-bleeping elephants.
    Hand of Fate was released on PlayStation 4 on February 17th and it’s a game that should be on the Vita, but hey, who am I to judge.

What I'm Looking Forward to this Month: Bloodborne

I remember it like it was yesterday; the first boss battle in Demon’s Souls. It was 2009, and I was very close to throwing the game disc out the window in frustration from dying a trillion times. And then something happened, I killed that ugly monstrosity and it dawned on me. All of the times I had died, it was my fault. I had gone guns blazing, or made a misstep, and the game punished me for my failure. Once I realized how the game was to be played, every subsequent victory was rewarding, more so than any other victory in previous games. Dark Souls I and II came out and were instant additions to my gaming list, albeit on my PC.

Bloodborne's story takes place in the cursed city of Yharnam, a city plagued by a sickness that has transformed many of its citizens into monsters. The setting is 19th century gothic horror, with a labyrinthine approach to its amazing level design. Bloodborne breaks away from the Souls series in some significant ways, but their legacy is very much alive here. I don’t think I’ve ever seen this many enemies on the screen at once, and they all look more messed up and original than the other. The soundtrack is absolutely chilling and it put me on the edge of my seat through the first viewing of a walkthrough video. What will pop from behind that corner? How do I kill that “thing” standing in my way? Can I go back and find another way? I just cannot wait.

Bloodborne releases on PlayStation 4 on March 24th and will consume all of my patience and will to live.

Helyx
    What the **** have I been Playing?
    A crapton of games

March was a busy gaming month for me, starting with the hilarously raunchy Lollipop Chainsaw from Suda 51. Juliet Starling was pleasing to the eye as the game took a simple approach to button-mashing in a zombie-infested California setting. Lollipop pits you against hordes of zombies as you try to cleanse Juliet's home town of the now-dead citizens. With gameplay similar to the God of War franchise, the controls were easy to pick up as I made my way through the stages. One of the standout features was the comical dialogue, particularly between Juliet and her boyfriend Nick, who's now a severed head attached at her waist... most of which is too obscene to quote. For anyone looking for a fast-paced action game (and boobies), I'd highly recommend this zombie murderfest.

Aside from that, most of March was also spent grueling through 10+ playthroughs of id Software's "Doom 3" collection. This port of a 2-generation old FPS fit right into my collection as I played through the 5 separate campaigns, the most notable of which were classic Doom and Doom II. Nothing feels quite as satisfying as dominating a room full of demons with a BFG 9000. The standard Doom 3 sees the addition of two additional campaigns, each with its own unique story and surprises. I spent most of my time playing classic Doom on my path to platinum, having a heart-breaking trophy glitch right at the end. Currently, I'm playing through classic Doom for a third time in an attempt to earn my Rampage trophy for beating the Ultra-Violence difficulty. Old school FPS junkies will love this game, but be warned: your path through the bowels of hell is strewn with opposition.

Adding to the two of games I've already mentioned, this past week I also booted Tomb Raider for the first time to boost the multiplayer trophies. Thanks to Playstation Plus and the glorious IGC (Instant Game Collection), I'm enjoying this title practically for free. Lara Croft shines in this latest installment to her franchise as she takes us through time to her origins. With gameplay nearly identical to the Uncharted franchise, I found it easy to jump right into the game with proficiency. While I've only played the multiplayer portion thus far, I'm eager to jump into the story once my 1.7million XP is done. So far, I've been able to net about 120,000 XP (and about 5,000 salvage) per 20-minute match thanks to a long time friend and exceptional boosting partner. This seems to be one of the better offerings from the IGC, and anyone who has yet to experience Tomb Raider should really quit procrastinating and give Lara a go. Also...boobies (Editor's note: you might be starting to note a trend here).

Finally, with this most recent Flash Sale, Playstation offered TONS of cheap games which finally gave me the chance to pick up Sam & Max: Beyond Time and Space. Another point-and-click adventure game from Telltale, the game puts us once again in the shoes of these freelance police in an episodic puzzle series. While the actual gameplay is as basic as it gets, the real star of this franchise is the dialogue between the two detectives (a dog and a rabbit... hilarious, right?). Travelling the world from their NYC office with DeSoto, the team's main source of transportation, Sam & Max exorcise demons from Santa Claus and save Easter Island statues from a volcano, amongst other zany adventures. If you're a fan of any of the other Telltale adventure games (Back to the Future, Jurassic Park or The Wolf Among Us), I sincerely hope you give the S&M games a play... even if it's only for quick and easy trophies.

Lollipop Chainsaw was released back in June 12th 2012 for PlayStation 3, feauturing thrilling gameplay and hilarious dialogues. And boobies.

The "HD" port of Doom 3, known as Doom 3: BFG Edition was released for PlayStation 3 way back in October 16th 2012, featuring new campaigns as well as the expanded releases of Doom and Doom II. A game any retro FPS fan shouldn't miss.

Tomb Raider was released for PlayStation 3 on March 5th 2013, and ported to the PlayStation 4 on January 28th 2014. As stated above, it was part of the IGC at some point, so you probably have it hidden somewhere in your game library.

Telltale's second season feauturing the Sam & Max IP, Sam & Max Beyond Time and Space was released in episodic format between 2007 and 2008, with a complete pack being available for PlayStation 3 since October 11th 2011.

What I'm looking forward to: Playing older games until I die

Emptying my massive backlog of games. Between retail discs, PS+'s IGC and my usual digital purchases, I have easily over 150 games which I have yet to start. Thankfully, I get a push from our Trading Post game group to finish titles so they can be traded and shipped to new homes. Speaking of which, we're always looking for new traders in the group, so anyone interested should join up and create their own thread to get some games traded! We're always trading PS3, PSV and PS4 games, and over the course of the group's 6 year history there's never been a single fraudulent incident.

Dj's massive backlog of games will be available for him to play from here to eternity. His shameless advertising can also be ignored - your choice. Alternatively, you can become the group's first fraudulent incident and leave your mark in ps3trophies.com lore.

Artemis
    What I'm currently spending my time playing: Life is Strange - Episode 1

At the moment I’m not playing anything, but weeks ago I played the first episode of Life is Strange. In this episodic game you play as Max Caulfield, an 18 years-old high school student. The game starts with Max waking up in a forest, where’s a huge storm going on. Afterwards she wakes up in the classroom, and this is when the game really starts. The choices you make do have consequences, but Max discovers that she has the special ability to rewind time. You can use it to pick another option/decision and change the outcome. However, you have to be quick sometimes and you can’t use it as often as you'd think. The game will let you know when a choice you make is definitive. Sometimes you will immediately notice when you make a bad choice and at other times you will notice it later, at which point you can’t undo it.

What I personally like about the game is that you can’t rewind time over and over. The story itself also got me interested and episode 1 ends with a huge cliffhanger, so I’m really looking forward to episode 2 to see how the story unfolds. Episode 2 is already out by the way. Also, the lip syncing could be a bit better.

I enjoy games like this when I feel a bit lazy and just want to relax. It’s almost the same as watching a movie to me.
    Life is Strange: Episode 1 hit stores on January 30th for PlayStation 3 and 4, and up 'til now, only Episodes 1 and 2 are available.

What I'm looking forward to this month: Final Fantasy: Type-0 HD

I've always had a weak spot for Final Fantasy games, even after the dissapointment of Final Fantasy 13 (loved Final Fantasy 13-2 though, but that’s another discussion). Fact is, that if a new FF game comes out, I’m always interested in it and want to have it.

I actually never heard about this game before, until I’ve read something about it on ps3t.com. Of course it caught my attention and I’ve looked into it. I’ve learned that it was a game for PSP which was only released in Japan. From what I’ve read, this FF game is more violent and dark (it has a war theme going on) compared to other FF games, but it has a fantasy part (Moogles, Chocobos etc) as well. Time will tell if I will like this game or not, but I’m more then willing to find out! What sold me on this game is the really nice Collectors Edition that is available. See: http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/...46-720x405.png

It made me greedy and I pre-ordered the game immediately. Funny thing is I don’t have a PS4 yet, but I’ll find a way to play it. I already love the soundtrack as well.

Everyone outside of Japan was able to finally play Final Fantasy: Type 0 HD when the game was released for PlayStation 4 on March 17th.

Nagflar
    What I played until I met a tragic end: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

A while ago, during one of the most-recent PlayStation Store sales, I found this game available for a mere $10 (or something like that), and having read about the game and being pestered by someone to play it, I caved in and bought it, expecting it to be an above-average game that'd catch my attention for a while, all while I played as Berserk's Guts, climbed giant monsters and stabbed them repeatedly in the face.

As expected, that's exactly what I got.

Dragon's Dogma is a pretty entertaining game, though it lacks certain features and is rather generic in others. My main gripe with the game throughout my playing time was having to walk so freaking much. Even though I got to a point at which I could drop some teleportation stones wherever I wished, their limited quantity made it a commodity and thus travelling by foot was still the norm - hassle and time-wasting included. Still, I made my way through the game, progressing little by little all while exploring a bunch of areas and having my over-powered companions rip everything we found to pieces - be it wolves (who hunt in packs), bandits, chimeras, cyclops or even a wyvern (I'd also love to include another certain giant beast to the list, but the only one I found flew away like a coward).

Alas, my fun was short-lived. Between limited free time and wanting to spend it on other things, I didn't play Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen as much as I wanted, and even though my progress was small I was already heavily interested in making my way through it 'till the end, but a loose connection decided to screw everything up while the game was auto-saving, corrupting my save file and ruining everything.

Now I patiently await the moment I can spare more free time, at which point I'll embark on my journey to kill that bloody dragon again - all from scratch. I just hope walking's not as a big a chore this time around.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen was released for the PlayStation 3 on April 23th 2013 and features an archaic game-saving system that everyone should boycott.

What I pre-ordered but won't be able to play: Final Fantasy: Type-0 HD

As Artemis, I'm a Final Fantasy fan, so I am naturally interested in Type-0. The main difference here, though, is that unlike her I actually knew about the game well before it was released for the PSP. I am one of those people that wanted to play it since it was announced almost a decade ago and was frustrated when Square neglected the other side of the pond and decided not to localize it. I whined, I raged and I even joined one of those ever-useless petitions asking for its localization - all to no avail.

Then a generous soul somewhere around the world finished his translation of the game and uploaded it to the internet, available for all of us to download and enjoy so we could finally play the damn thing in a language we actually knew, just for Square to demand him to take it down (or face legal consequences), all while announcing out of nowhere they were porting the game on next-gen consoles.

Again, I whined and raged, but my interest in the game is big enough for me to overlook their douchebaggery, to the point I, like Artemis, pre-ordered the Collector's Edition, even though I lack a console to play it on.

Still, I look forward to playing this thing as soon as I get my Sony monolith. All those years of waiting will finally come to an end as I take the role of one of those pretty-boys/girls and kick tail like I hoped I eventually would on a PSP.

Everyone outside of Japan was able to finally play Final Fantasy: Type 0 HD when the game was released for PlayStation 4 on March 17th.
    Last edited by DarkFox's Piss Bucket; 03-30-2015 at 12:48 AM. Reason: editorial sweep + sticky

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Threat

NWA lyrics? What happened to the anti-hip-hop Nag?
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

Negator

Awesome read this month, guys. Really enjoy this editorial piece and would like to see some more members of the community chime in for next month.

also...boobies

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Hunter-Scholar-Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by AlecDawesome View Post
    Maybe next month I'll channel my inner Grandmaster Flash or Maestro Fresh Wes.

The Road So Far And The Road Ahead
    `Best Trophy Checklist (2014)
    `Checklist Spotlight #2 Winner (2014)
    `2nd place Trophy Checklist (2013)

Currently Playing
    `Batman: Arkham Knight [95%]
    `AC: Syndicate [6%]
    `Helldivers [26%]

Signature & Avatar

`courtesy of DaRe_xLw

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by AlecDawesome View Post
    That just goes to show how little I know about that crap, to the point I had no flipping idea - otherwise I would've censored TP's freedom of speech .

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Breakfast and Chill

Nice read, guys. Agree with TP, Bloodborne is a treat. As someone with a Demon's Souls plat (that took forever, mind you) and only a small sampling of Dark Souls, it may seem odd that I'd choose this as my most anticipated game of 2015. So far, I'm loving it. Punishing as expected but incredibly rewarding at the same time. "Prey Slaughtered" popping up after taking down a boss is the perfect hook to continue playing. The only downside is that Nero is after my blood now.

Lvl 9 - Gold

boobies.... love it!

Hunter-Scholar-Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    That just goes to show how little I know about that crap, to the point I had no flipping idea - otherwise I would've censored TP's freedom of speech .
    Dangit! Now every time I put something down that rhymes my plans will be foiled. Nuuuuuu!

Oh well, there are always haikus.

The Road So Far And The Road Ahead
    `Best Trophy Checklist (2014)
    `Checklist Spotlight #2 Winner (2014)
    `2nd place Trophy Checklist (2013)

Currently Playing
    `Batman: Arkham Knight [95%]
    `AC: Syndicate [6%]
    `Helldivers [26%]

Signature & Avatar

`courtesy of DaRe_xLw

Lvl 5 - Silver

Saints Row 2

Galaxy beauty pirate

Good read guys! Just like Helyx mentioned, I hope to see more members involved in this feature next time. What happened with half of the E.T. members btw?

Also Nag, FF Type-0 looks pretty good so far! I only just started (currently at episode 2), but it doesn't dissapoint me at all. I won't spoil things for you though..
    Sig by Ramon