Currently Playing (April 2015 Edition)

This is a discussion on Currently Playing (April 2015 Edition) within the Features and Editorials forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; TerminalPhoenix What I'm Currently Playing: Bloodborne, Life is Strange: Episode 2, Valiant Hearts Oh Bloodborne, how I love thee. Let ...

Kiwi Defender

Currently Playing (April 2015 Edition)

TerminalPhoenix
    What I'm Currently Playing: Bloodborne, Life is Strange: Episode 2, Valiant Hearts

Oh Bloodborne, how I love thee. Let me count the ways.

Like its predecessors, Bloodborne is ruthless; every ladder, staircase or street corner awaits your steps with a perverse sense of excitement and dread. Progress, albeit minimal at times, feels incredibly rewarding, especially when besting a perverse creature that decides to stalk you for half the map. There is something magical about Bloodborne, more so than the Souls games and I can’t yet articulate it, but it’s there. Bloodborne feels more action packed, more real, more polished, and more fun. Perhaps it’s because I now know exactly what I’m getting myself into by playing a game like this.

Life is Strange: Episode 2 has been a nice change of pace from Bloodborne. It’s a cinematic adventure that feels less like a game and more like a movie, one that I sometimes choose to participate in. It’s no emotional walk in the park however. I applaud it for being unafraid to tackle serious issues, and for having the courage to highlight that turning back time sometimes means you can’t save everyone. Episode 2 tackled the topic of suicide, which for me is a sensitive subject having lost a good friend a few years back. Without giving away too much of the story I will say that I may have re-played a particular scene in Episode 2 about a handful of times before I got it right.

The dichotomy between the bloodthirsty Bloodborne and the “peaceful” gameplay of Valiant Hearts has been a nice distraction as well. You see, Valiant Hearts, albeit a game about war, relies on your intelligence to solve puzzles rather than shoot your way through enemies. I may have knocked out a German soldier here or there, but the brunt of the violence was played out by the story rather than by me. World War I is not the sexy World War we know the 1940s had, but it’s incredibly touching; I love the fact that much of the game is sprinkled with real letters soldiers wrote to their loved ones. It makes it all the more real, and what’s more real than a war that took the lives of more than 37 million.

Bloodborne was released on PlayStation 4 on March 24th in North America, and has taught and consumed all of TerminalPhoenix’s patience in 2015.
    Life is Strange: Ep. 2 was also released on PlayStation 4 on March 24th and makes every person’s dream to become an awkward artsy teenage girl a reality.
    Valiant Hearts was released on PlayStation 3, 4, on June 24th, 2014 and is one of the most touching war games ever made.

What I'm Looking Forward to this Month: Tales from the Borderlands: Episode 2, Game of Thrones: Episode 3

April is a dry spell for new games, at least for me that is. My backlog is what I’ll be looking forward to addressing this time around.

It’s been a while since Tales from the Borderlands was something that I cared for and to be honest, I have neglected a perfectly good game as a result. Episode 1 was a joy ride and a surprisingly entertaining Telltale game in a universe I was so certain you needed to shoot guns to be successful in. Yet here I am, with my mouth in my hand, yet again. Episode 2 will look to build on a nice introduction of characters that I want to see fail and succeed all at the same time. Something about this universe that brings that sadistic, raunchy side of me alive.

Game of Thrones: Episode 3 needs to be played because, well, I also forgot it came out. The main reason why I love this particular installment in the Telltale universe is that it will have a genuine beginning and end, unlike the book series or the TV show that for some reason are lacking in finality. I strongly believe that Georgie boy has no clue what he’s doing and in the end I’ll find myself disappointed with the end of the overall story. But the side-story that I am embarking on my PS4... well, that one is sure to have a better chance of having a proper start, middle and end, y’know, like normal stories are supposed to go.

Tales from the Borderlands: Ep. 2 was released on March 17th, 2015 and it’s a sequel to the yippee-ki-yay of the first episode.
    Game of Thrones: Ep. 3 was released on March 25th, 2015 and will continue my continuous shock at killing the characters I care for.

NeroRadec707
    What I've been playing: Bloodborne

Bloodborne, the spiritual successor of the Souls series, starts out much like many of the previous games from From Software: without much story or explanation. You play the role of a hunter in the land of Yharnam, and begin the game sealing some sort of blood pact with an unknown character. Bloodborne features a central hub, known as the Hunter's Dream, that will allow you to travel between the different areas of the game, without having to walk through each zone and to stock up on gear or items.

The biggest deviation from the Souls series with Bloodborne is the lack of shield weapons, and the introduction of firearms. These play a big part in the tactics you'll use through the game such as riposte to counter enemies or to distract and stun others and are powered through the collection of ammunition called Quicksilver bullets. There is no mana system, instead you'll use extra Quicksilver bullets to use special items to cast certain spell-like abilities. Also, with the lack of shields, Bloodborne focuses on much more aggressive gameplay and rewards players in-game with restoring health lost by immediately attacking.

The Co-op system is very similar to the previous Souls series in that you will summon other players to help you in your world and can have an enemy player come to kill you. This is From Software's version of cooperative and competitive multiplayer. There is a interesting system to use items such as bells to ring and it will "beckon" other players to assist you. However, doing so, results in enemy players that are known as Hunters of Hunters who will basically come to try and steal your blood echoes. This system is unique to the Souls series and this game and plays a part in the lore and story for the game.

However grandiose Bloodborne appears, it is very limited and some feel that it may not necessarily warrant a $60 USD purchase brand new. There is a lack of gear you'll collect such as weapons and armor that you will most likely never use, creating a waste. There are only a handful of items that replace magic you use in the game, and not many separate paths for the weapons you upgrade. Bloodborne, compared to the Souls series, feels almost like a slightly tuned down budget version, creating a similar but shorter expericne with less to achieve in the game. Once you know where to travel in the game, it is very straightforward and you can complete the game quicker than expected for an RPG of its standard.

If you can follow the story and the lore, there is a something special here in Bloodborne, but it requires some hunting. Most players will rush through the game and almost feel there was more to be desired, I'm afraid. If you can follow some of the story-telling in previous Souls games, this may appeal to you as nothing in the story will be handed to you on a silver platter. As usua,l coming from From Software, the game features a brilliant soundtrack that fits the dark elements you'll find in Bloodborne. Graphically it is beautiful and you can get lost looking at the Moon and the environment, despite most of its dark decrepit nature. Bloodborne is a very fun experience and packs on that same difficulty other Souls games from From Software have come to deliver.

Bloodborne was released on PlayStation 4 on March 24th in North America, and has taught and consumed all of TerminalPhoenix’s patience in 2015.

What I'm looking forward to: Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin

Dark Souls II finally comes to the next-gen, bringing with it the previously released DLC, updated technical issues, and graphics. As I finish and wrap up playing Bloodborne, I still have a craving for another brutal challenging experience offered by From Software.

Having never finished the game on PS3, yet, after hearing it would be releasing on the PS4, I figured I'd pick it up again as it offers the Scholar of the First Sin and everything new I had yet to play anyways from my previous time and experience with the game. Looking over recent reviews and what to expect, the graphics and the game engine itself have been hugely improved, with the PS4 handling the game much better than the PS3 and the smoothness of the game and the details that come to life now more so than before. Last I played the version on PS3 I recalled numerous times the game would slow down and become buggy for a few moments and then smooth back out. I'm looking forward to having this issue rectified.

This looks to shape up to the next Souls challenge on my repertoire. After I get my Souls and Blood fix crave under control, the next title I have in my sights will be The Witcher 3.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin released on April 7th, 2015 being ported over with all DLC content and improved graphics onto PS4

Nagflar
    What I enjoyed during the month: Dragon's Crown

Playing my way through all the Plus junk I've downloaded (and licking my wounds after that horrible incident with Dragon's Dogma), I decided it was time to finallt start this little game, and I think it was the right decision to satiate my need for a new game to experience.

Dragon's Crown is a 2D-scrolling action RPG (or some hybrid like that) featuring beautiful hand-drawn artwork and some of the most hilariously unproportioned character designs I've seen in years, featuring 6 different playable classes for you to choose from and to kick ass as you venture your way through around 6 different stages and kick ass like a maniac just so you get to kill a humongous dragon at the end. It may not sound like much (and it may sound like I'm making fun of it, too), but it's pretty freaking entertaining without a doubt. Even playing alongside the moronic AI you get to have a bunch of fun as you button-smash your way through hordes of skeletons, goblins, giant mosquitoes and what-not.

Having said that, I got tired of it rather quickly. After blasting my way through the game on Normal, playing through Hard just felt like a chore, to the point I haven't really played it again since I unlocked the Infernal difficulty setting, even though I'm pretty much halfway through the path to achieve the platinum. Then again, just looking at what I'm missing makes me realize it'll be a pain in the butt, and with how little time I've dedicated to gaming lately, I'd rather not spend most of it grinding my way through Infernal.

Still, Dragon's Crown is a pretty fun game, even if just for a little while. I didn't really play much online due to a lot of inactivity during my gaming hours, but I can tell playing it with friends is a blast.

Dragon's Crown hit stores way back in August 6th, 2013, and hit PlayStation Plus at some point or another.

What I've been interested in for a while: Tropico 5

As Terminal said before me, April was pretty lackluster in terms of new releases; however, the Tropico franchise is one I've always looked forward to playing at some point or another, and with 5 being released for Sony's monolith, I think I might give it a chance pretty soon.

Any game that looks like Civilization with a Cuba skin ontop of it is a game worth playing, and with Tropico 5 including multiplayer gameplay for the first time, it looks like the perfect time to give the franchise a try as you and your buddies battle over dominance of some Caribbean island that's definitely not Cuba and isn't run by Fidel.

Tropico 5 was released for PlaySation 4 on April 28th and promises people to be filled with joyous revolutionary shenanigans.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Galaxy beauty pirate

Nice reviews guys! Not very interested in any of the titles you've wrote about though, except for Life is strange and maybe Dragon's crown, Valiant hearts and Tales from the Borderlands.

No guest writers this month? I myself have been playing Final Fantasy Type-0 pretty much and I enjoy it a lot! Might write something about it for the next feature.
    Sig by Ramon

Negator

Great read, again. I'm anticipating Bloodborne once I step into the current hardware generation, but until then I'll keep dwindling my PS3 catalog. If the current trophy competition sees me fall out of contention in the upcoming weeks, I'll be sure to get a piece together for May's CP piece.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    No guest writers this month? I myself have been playing Final Fantasy Type-0 pretty much and I enjoy it a lot! Might write something about it for the next feature.
    That'd be very appreciated, given how few of us contributed this month and that TP might be unable to do so for May's feature.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.