Currently Playing (October 2015 Edition)

This is a discussion on Currently Playing (October 2015 Edition) within the Features and Editorials forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Foreword First of all, apologies for yet another late release. Not only has life been hectic for a few of ...

Kiwi Defender

Vice City

Currently Playing (October 2015 Edition)

First of all, apologies for yet another late release. Not only has life been hectic for a few of us but some have even gone missing, so it's getting a bit harder to put up a feature when there's only a couple of us and we're busy. That said, we're trying to come up with a new type of feature in order to try to increase productivity and pique more interest in the community, so look forward to that in the following months (if it goes well, that is).

That said, for this feature we decided to bring in a guest writer: CallmeNasty, who has been a sort-of regular in the site for a while now and can usually be found in the ChatBox (home of the best and worst of the site).

Lastly, thanks again for your continued support and interest, as little as it may be. It's good to know at least a few of you take a few minutes off your busy schedules to accompany us during our monthly feature.

What I'm Currently Playing:
    Dragon Age: Inquisition - Trespasser DLC; Game of Thrones

As DA games go, Inquisition is not my favourite, but it's definitely the prettiest and most fun. It's become somewhat generic now but the Trespasser DLC looks to refresh it quite a bit. The gameplay is much of the same, although the sense of linearity has faded significantly compared to the other two DLCs. There are multiple paths to take, and if you are aiming for 100% trophies, there will be multiple saves and lots of prep work required. So much so that it feels a bit like a NG+. I feel that this sense of freedom will likely erode soon and I'll likely end up in the same room as every one else seems to do. So far the loot hasn't been impressive and there isn't much exploration to be had. But if you are looking for an excuse to spend more time with your favourite band of inquisitors, I guess it's not too shabby, but goddamn does this trailer look good!!

As far as Game of Thrones... Oh Telltale Games, how you tease me with your stories and cause and effect decision making. With Episode 6 awaiting release soon, I look forward to stringing episode 3-5 into a few hours of "OMG, I can't believe he/she got killed off!"

Dragon Age: Inquisition - Trespasser DLC was released on PlayStation 4 on September 9th, 2015 in North America, and is annoying me with its over-the-top time-consuming trophies.
    Game of Thrones, Episodes 3-5 were released on PlayStation 4 on March 24th, May 26th and July 21st, 2015. Still no word of actual dragons.

What I'm Looking Forward to this Month: Assassin's Creed: Syndicate, Life is Strange
    Another year, another Assassin's Creed game. Like clockwork. I'm not going to lie, this series is my guilty pleasure. I enjoy it so that I choose to overlook its drawbacks. And for the most part, it works. Syndicate however, is likely the first AC game that truly does not pique my interest and I can't explain why. Might be the setting, might be the characters, but I think this might be my surprise hit of the year simply because of my very low expectations. I look forward to all the "improvements" but who am I kidding? I just want to scale large buildings and jump into haystacks. The rest is just gravy.

Much like Game of Thrones, episodic gaming is going to be on my radar this month with Life is Strange looking to conclude its run. The final episode is expected to be released at the end of the month and I can't wait to see how it all ends. Release date is still speculative.

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate releases on PlayStation 4 on October 23rd, 2015 and it hopes to be a jolly good time.
    Life is Strange - Episode 5: Polarized had a tentative release date of October 20th and, much to everyone's joy, was indeed released that day.

What I'm Currently Playing: The Crew

There's only one game I've been playing the last couple of weeks and that is The Crew. Never would I've thought I'd put so much time into this game, let alone go for the platinum trophy.

So what is so special about this game that I've put 200+ hours into it? It definitely is not the story, which to me felt like a cheap sort of Fast and the Furious movie with pretty much a really cheesy end. I won't spoil anything but I can say for sure that a lot of aspects in the story are done in the same fashion as the just-mentioned movie(s).

The cars are OK except for a mistake on one of the cars, which for me is a big deal . As a carguy I love the Nissan Skyline R34 GTR and know for a fact this car was never produced as a lefthand drive, yet in The Crew it is... which, if you are releasing a racing game, is quite a big mistake.

Trophies are what's making me spend hours and hours on this game. I've yet to get the platinum trophy and in order to get that I need to grind a whole lot of online races. As for some of the other trophies, they are just ridiculous, as in drive 5000 miles in one car and 2000 miles offroad. Pretty ridiculous, yet I keep on going.

So after ranting on about all the bad things, lets talk positive! The game looks really nice, the map is HUGE! There is a lot to see and it's full with Skills, Missions and Viewpoints. And I guess that's what really keeps me playing. I love driving around and take a look at the scenery and visit all the places I've only seen in movies. Levelling up different cars by doing the different skills is another thing that was fun but took a lot of time to do. It is absolutely necessary though, especially if you want to take a shot at first place when racing online against other crews. So what will I do after I get the platinum for this game? Keep on playing I guess, as the expansion is coming out November 17th

The Crew: released on PlayStation 4 on December 2nd, 2014. The mentioned expansion, The Crew :The Wild Run Edition, will be available November 17th on Playstation 4 on disc.

What I'm Looking Forward to this Month:
    Need for Speed

Honda S2000s, Nissan 180SX's, MazdaRX7's, Skylines, Porsche 911 RWB's, Rocketbunny bodykits, Voltex, WorkMeisters, Fifteen52 Rims, Ken Block... where does it end? All people that have something with cars know what I'm talking about. It is the new Need for Speed! And I can't wait to play it!

This game has all the brands and all the names from all the cars - everything I could want from a racing game. The line-up of cars is crazy and you can really tell that SPEEDHUNTERS has had a big influence on this game. They know cars as well as EA knows games (don't give me that worst company stuff, we've all played battlefield/crysis/fifa etc).

EA has been kind enough to share so much information on this game it feels like it's already out there, and that is what has gotten me excited about it. I remember seeing the first picture of that Nissan Skyline GT-R KPGC10. At that point I was interested. When I saw a picture of a Honda S2000 and found out it would actually be driveable, it was a done deal. I love driving my own car in videogames , and the list kept on growing bigger and bigger. Car enthusiasts will appreciate all the iconic cars, parts and builders that are in this game.

Need for Speed releases on PlayStation 4 on November 3rd, 2015 on North America.

What I'm currently playing: Madden NFL 16, Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, The Last of Us Remastered

The NFL season is in full swing, and so is my desire to play digital American Football on the 8th Generation of video game consoles.

Honestly, the game feels much better and a lot more innovated than last year (which is crazy to say about a sports game in the first place). The new passing mechanics make the game very unpredictable and enjoyable to play with a friend online in 'Head to Head' or on split screen. To say the least, I am very surprised with EA Sports yearly installment in the long-running Football simulation series, especially due to the fact it seems they are starting to listen to the fans' desires in terms of modes and game-play additions.

When I first saw the trailer for the prologue of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, I was not too excited. When the news dropped about the main missions only being about 1-3 hours long, I was less excited. The moment I started playing the game, opinions were drastically changed to say the very least.
    Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroeswas a pleasant surprise for me. The graphics showed that the Fox Engine was at its very best on the 8th Generation of consoles, and it had me pumped to find out what the "final installment" of the long running 'Metal Gear' series had in store for us.

It is fairly obvious I am having a boat-load of fun with a game, when I complete missions multiple times just for the sake of killing time. It didn't even matter that I received a 'D' or 'C' rank on all the missions, because I was having so much fun taking out enemies and executing different scenarios with different tactics. One of the best games PlayStation Plus has given out to subscribers.

It is safe to say, that whenever you see the "Naughty Dog" logo on a video game box art or intro, you are in for a amazing experience. That was proven yet again by veteran-developer Naughty Dog with the remaster of the 2013 thrill-ride, The Last of Us Remastered.

In June 2013, I was contemplating a purchase for The Last of Us. The game had received a substantial amount of hype, not very surprising due to it being developed by the creators of the Uncharted series, Naughty Dog. Since it was practically the last PlayStation 3 exclusive, for some reason I decided to pass. And I am currently kicking myself over that choice to this day.

The game is absolutely beautiful, and is better than most of the movies you see in cinemas to this day. Voice-acting, cutscenes, the details and survival mechanics are executed perfectly. It is a game where I struggle to put it down at times, and have even found myself playing it deep into the following morning. If you have not played The Last of Us, go out and pick it up. For the PlayStation 3 or PlayStation 4, it doesn't matter. You have to experience this game.

Madden NFL 16 hit stores on August 25th and is available for both PlayStation 3 and 4.
    Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes was released on March 18th, 2014 for both PlayStation 3 and 4, with the latter being available to Plus subscribers during May.
    The Last of Us Remastered hit stores on July 29th, 2014, for the PlayStation 4, marking the beginning of the wave of remastered titles that have hit the console ever since.

What I'm Looking Forward to this Month: Need for Speed, Star Wars Battlefront

Need for Speed is the twenty-first (yes, you read that correctly) installment in the long-running racing series, and is being considered a full reboot of the series. I fell off after Need for Speed Most Wanted (2012) and actually considered the series to be finished after Need for Speed Rivals.

Turns out I was wrong. Ghost Games, a studio largely created with former series developers, is partnering up with Electronic Arts for this fast and visually-stunning reboot. Seriously, if you haven't seen the game-play that features the rain effects, then you have no idea how gorgeous this game truly is.

I am very excited for this, and hopefully the always-online integration will make the game more interesting. Also, a lot of cars are in this game. So if you own a vehicle in real life, there is a decent chance that car may just be in this game. I can't wait.

Back in 2005, I was what you would now call a "casual gamer." My father brought home a game called 'Star Wars Battlefront' for the PlayStation 2. I was mildly excited, for, to be quite honest, up until that point I knew very little about the Star Wars saga. Keep in mind, before this day I was a casual gamer.

Star Wars Battlefront was what turned me into the gamer that I am today. I had so much fun I picked up the sequel months later. Here I am; years later, more matured and still a dedicated gamer, waiting for another installment.

When Star Wars Battlefront (2015) was announced, I was more excited than a Destiny player decoding an engram and it turns out to be an exotic. When I saw that one of my favorite FPS Developers, DICE, was in charge of the reboot, my excitement tripled. I logged about 4-8 hours on the beta on both consoles, and I still wanted more. I can safely say that once the game drops, I will sit criss-cross on my chair and play and reminisce about the amazing memories of my childhood. It will be a great time, and I hope for those of you reading this to join me on the battlefield.

DICE's very awaited reboot, Star Wars Battlefront will be available for everyone to nerdgasm over on November 17th and will be available on the PlayStation 4.

What I've played all month-long: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

I'm a huge Metal Gear fan. I've played all the main entries in the franchise and have finished all of those with the word "Solid" in them. I'm also crazy enough to have earned the platinum trophy for them (except for Ground Zeroes, since it doesn't have one). Naturally, I pre-ordered the (supposed) last entry in the game with Kojima involved and as soon as my copy arrived and the game was installed I pretty much played nothing else until I earned the platinum trophy.

Needless to say, I'm more than satisfied. It's been one hell of a ride, full of great new mechanics and old-fashioned stealth combined with the absurdity the series has become famous for. From giant bipedal robots firing railguns to parasaites becoming what nanomachines did in Guns of the Patriots, the game falls in no way short when compared to the other games, all while including the staples that have made the franchise famous, such as long-ass cutscenes, incredible voice-acting and lots and lots of bogus science (yay!), not to mention you can pretty much Fulton any living creature you can find, leading to hilarious situations at times.

From the start of the game to the last scene you're hooked and you can't help but wonder how all of this could've lead to Outer Heaven and the events that followed, and the game never fails at delivering that message, as well as all the subtext the series is known for, with the overall theme of the phantom pain being blatantly mentioned numerous times (especially by bro-turned-psychotic Kazuhira Miller).

As for the ending, it's a whammy, and some may say it's not really an ending at all, but it fills the gaps left by every entry that followed Snake Eater and rewards long-time fans with much-needed answers accompanied by a few retcons.

In short, it's a game everyone should play, but that fans of the series should play in its entirety.

As for Metal Gear Online, which was released over a month after the game itself, I can pretty much leave it at it being more of the same that was available in both Guns of the Patriots and Peace Walker, featuring a lot more Fultoning.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain was released for the PlayStation 4 on September 1st.

What I'm looking forward to: Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax

As I mentioned in a previous feature, I'm not a fighting games fan by any means, but that's never stopped me from playing those I find interesting or fun (Street Figher being the prime example, and Mortal Kombat X being a recent one), so when I found out this game existed and was getting localized I decided I'd give it a try eventually.

Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax is a crossover fighting game made up of a lot of different franchises from a Japanese Light Novel publisher (that being Dengeki Bunko), featuring a bunch of its most famous characters from popular (albeit not necessarily good) series such as Sword Art Online, A Certain Magical Index and Accel World. Having watched more than a few of those series I'm rather interested in picking it up so I can go beat up Sword Art Online characters in it with every other character there is in the game.

Additionally, they released a reworked version with new characters in Japan recently as well, so here's hoping they patch the NA version and release the new characters as DLC. Alternatively, they could also localize that version, though I'd rather that happen soon so I don't end up regretting buying this.

Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax was released in North America for the PlayStation 3 and Vita on October 6th.
    Last edited by Nagflar; 10-27-2015 at 12:35 AM.

Local Drunk

Good to hear/read anything about The Crew. It kinda faded into nothingness after it's release.

This is a great read as per usual

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

Galaxy beauty pirate

I'm curious with what new feature you come up with. As for me I'm still busy with my 2 jobs and when I have free time I just feel like gaming, watching series etc. Anyway, I got my own PS4 last week and I have bought One Piece pirate warriors 3 for it, Tales of Zestiria and the new AC that TerminalPhoenix mentioned came with my PS4.

I'm currently enjoy myself with:

It's really nice to mow down tons of people after a long day at work.

Glad to see this feature back!
    Sig by Ramon

Glad this feature made a return, and it's awesome to see a fresh face doing a write up too!

I've been playing Warhawk...I'll spare you the details.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay