Currently Playing (January 2016 Edition)

This is a discussion on Currently Playing (January 2016 Edition) within the Features and Editorials forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Foreword Happy new year! Hope 2015 treated you well (or at least better than it did to some people) and ...

Kiwi Defender

Currently Playing (January 2016 Edition)

Foreword

Happy new year! Hope 2015 treated you well (or at least better than it did to some people) and that life didn't get in the way of your gaming (or at least not much). Here's to a brand new year and another 365 days of survival - both for us and for the site .

With that out of the way, yet again we're short on writers, with CMN stepping in once again as a guest, so if anyone else reading is interested in helping out for following features don't hesitate to say so.

So, without further ado, here's this month's feature.

TerminalPhoenix
    What I'm Currently Playing: Call of Duty: Black Ops 3, LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham

An annual installment of Call of Duty is much like a new episode of The Walking Dead; not much has changed, but just enough to have you hooked all over again. Black Ops 3 is a good entry in the franchise, but it might be that COD game that I won’t be really delving into all that much. I find the campaign mediocre yet again, which is unfortunate because Kevin Spacey elevated Advanced Warfare’s story campaign into decent and tolerable. I’m sad to see it go back to “normal”. At the end of the day, no one plays Call of Duty for an engrossing story, and while I am perfectly aware that an excuse to shoot things is all we need to have fun, I was kind of hoping for a little more. And I think it’s fine for us to demand a bit more next time around. The zombies mode is okay, but not my thing. The multiplayer aspect of Black Ops 3 is worth the full price of admission and that is likely where I will spend 99% of the remainder of my time with this game. I can’t be bothered with platinuming it this time around though – the campaign’s realistic difficulty is far too harsh and there are too many decorations to earn. I’ll love this game for what it is, a collection of fun 10 minute bursts of multiplayer chaos.

A few years back I got hooked on LEGO games like nerds to Princess Leia slave outfits. They’re always a routine to platinum, but a joy to play. LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham follows a proven formula of completing the story, then doing a whole bunch of free play and free roam, all the while taking part in fun quests and interacting with amazing characters. The DC universe is filled with fantastic characters and there is no shortage of exquisite banter and laughs along the way. I have overlooked many-a glitches in the past, but I’m happy to say that no funny technical business has been encountered so far and from what I’ve heard, this is one clean game. The flying and driving mechanics are improved, the worlds are vast and the content is overwhelming. With a season’s pass comfortably priced at $15, you get to enjoy four new characters and stories on top of all of that. Loving this and I can’t wait to get back home and play some more!

Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 was released on PlayStation 4 on November 6th, 2015 in North America, and it’s a bloody pew-pew fun time.

LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham was released on PlayStation 4 on November 11th, 2014, and ironically, the best part of it is Superman.

What I'm Looking Forward to this Month: Assassin's Creed: Syndicate, Broken Age

I was hoping to have started Assassin’s Creed Syndicate by now, but life happens, and well, here we are. Another year, another Assassin's Creed game. Like clockwork. I'm not going to lie, this series is my guilty pleasure. I enjoy it so that I choose to overlook its drawbacks. And for the most part, it works. Syndicate however, is likely the first AC game that truly does not pique my interest and I can't explain why. Might be the setting, might be the characters, but I think this might be my surprise hit of the year simply because of my very low expectations. I look forward to all the "improvements" but who am I kidding? I just want to scale large buildings and jump into haystacks. The rest is just gravy.

Oh the joys of PS Plus! Broken Age was a game I envisioned myself buying at launch but I ended up delaying the purchase only to have it come as a free game a little while later. The game is a point-and-click adventure telling the stories of a young boy and girl leading parallel lives. I have been feeling nostalgic of late and adventure games will be definitely be in my 2016 roster. I look forward to revisiting Grim Fandango, as well as trying my luck with King’s Quest and Goosebumps to name a few.

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate released on PlayStation 4 on October 23rd, 2015 and it hopes to be a jolly good time.

Broken Age was released on April 28th, 2015, and I’m looking forward to get lost in its atmosphere and gameplay.

CallmeNasty
    What I'm currently playing: The Order 1886, Rainbow Six Siege, The Golf Club: Collector's Edition

I honestly did not have high expectations going into The Order, and I believe that is why many people didn't like it. I saw it for sale ($9.99) NEW and I forced myself to pick it up.

I just recently finished the game, and will most likely do a clean-up for the platinum then sell it. The graphics are amazing although the gameplay is "meh" and doesn't feel like YOU are in control of the experience. Otherwise, I have enjoyed the game even though it is a little bit short.

I say, definitely give it a try. Don't buy it for more than $19.99, but if you find it for that or below; get it. It's an easy platinum, and the story is pretty interesting even though it has a sequel-bait ending. At this point though, nothing is guaranteed in terms of a sequel due to the mixed reception the game received. If one is made, as long as they increase the combat sections and increase the story-length, I would consider purchasing it day one.

I have always been a major fan of Rainbow Six games. The fact that you have to be strategic and have to work with your teammates has made the installments fresh and entertaining throughout its run. When they announced Rainbow Six Siege, I felt the same way. When I saw the strategic gameplay with full destruction and beautiful graphics, I knew I was sold.

The game is only playable if you play with friends or with headsets, and there is nothing wrong with that. Siege is an intense online experience and it always provokes me to play "just one more game." The customization, weapon and Operator variety makes the game feel different every time you play. Let me put an emphasis on the destruction: IT IS AWESOME. There is no better feeling then destroying a wall, tossing a flash-bang, and attacking the objective.

Rainbow Six Siege was worth the $49.99 price tag (the price when I purchased it.) You should try it out if you can, but don't play it if you like to just "Run n' Gun!" Because if you don't play slow and with your teammates, you will get demolished. Trust me.

For some reason, golf video games always trick me. I hate watching golf in everyday-life, but I like playing golf and have loved golf video games since I first got Hot Shots Golf 3 for the PlayStation 2. When The Golf Club released on the PlayStation store late-summer of 2015, I passed on it. Then I watched (one of my favorite all-time Youtuber's) "Elpresador" upload videos of it, and I fell in love with it.

I was going to purchase it for $34.99 digitally, but I found out that April 2015 a disc-version titled "The Golf Club: Collectors Edition" was coming out, and for $39.99 you got the Season Mode for free (cost $10 post-release) and also get all future updates early. I have played the game often ever since, with it's cross-platform course creator constantly pumping new blood into the game.

You can play thousands of new courses uploaded every day, or create your own. You can play live with another player or two, or enter in-game tournaments that can contain anywhere from 2 - 400 people. It is really intriguing, because if somebody plays/creates a course on PC, you can go up against their score/play their course on PS4. It is a really fun game, but has a learning curve; so practice will be needed before you officially tee off in tournaments.

The Order 1886 came out for the PlayStation 4 to disappoint gamers all over the place on February 20th, 2015.

Rainbow Six Siege hit the PlayStation 4 on December 1st, 2015, much to the joy of many fans.

The Golf Club: Collector's Edition hit stores on April 2015 and is available on the PlayStation 4.

What I'm Looking Forward to this Month: The Banner Saga, Resident Evil 0 HD Remaster
    I remember seeing The Banner Saga on numerous articles, and it seemed interesting from the get-go. When I found out it was launching on consoles in early January, I became hyped.

The Banner Saga is a viking-themed tactical role-playing game where you control your army/crew, and have to survive conditions and attacks while traveling. Count me in. I probably lost most of you at "Viking."

I never got to play Resident Evil Zero, and it luckily is being remastered for the PlayStation 4. I have heard many good things about it, so I am ready to see if it was worth the wait.

It serves as a prequel to Resident Evil, the original game in the franchise. It covers and explains the events leading up to Resident Evil's story. Also, the remaster looks gorgeous. Can't wait for it!

The Banner Saga will be released for the PlayStation 4 on January 12th.Additionally, a Vita version is also under development.

Resident Evil 0 HD Remastered will be available as retail for the PlayStation 4 on January 22nd, alongside Resident Evil HD Remaster.

Nagflar
    What I've played all month-long:Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, Destiny: The Taken King

Having spent weeks playing Mortal Kombat X on a struggling journey to attain its platinum trophy, I was looking for something to blow off steam on and just relax and have a good laugh (like Borderlands), but wasn't looking forward to anything that was too long nor grindy, and that's where Blood Dragonshowed up.

A stand-alone DLC, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon stars cybernetic soldier Sergeant Rex Colt in a neon-filled island in the middle of nowhere as he tries to take down some evil colonel who wants to take over a world heavily inspired by the 80s (except it's actually the 21st century) and full of futuristic gadgets like a neon-clad bow ("the bow of the future") and laser-shooting machine guns, not to mention actual VHS tapes and old TV sets scattered throughout the island. Additionally, the game features some of the funniest dialogue I've seen in a while, full of cynicism, sarcasm and dark humour that'll keep you laughing throughout this short-lived game.

Being a Fary Cry game, you can fully explore the island and kill anything you see (be it a cybernetic solider, a cybernetic animal or the humongous blood dragons) as you make your way throughout the land and upgrade your equipment to become a complete cybernetic badass that delivers one-liners as much as he delivers death, and thanks to it being so short, the experience never really feels old nor tired, even when upgrading everything and obtaining every collectible as there's no ridiculously huge map to explore nor retarded tasks to achieve.

Aside from that, I finally decided to go back into Destiny and get to enjoy its latest expansion, The Taken King, and thanks to buying the retail version I also gained access to the two previous expansions which I hadn't acquired previously, which lead to a buttload of content making itself readily available for me to enjoy, ranging from quests to strikes and new raids.

While all that content was a bit overwhelming, I quickly made my way through most of it, all while remembering how much fun it is to play with other people (especially friends), even though some of the quests require ridiculous grinding and so does getting end-game level gear. Thankfully, most of it is bearable thanks to playing with others as well as the newest raid, King's Fall, being so much fun to play, most notably thanks to its extended length in comparison to the other two and how Bungie made sure every dang boss fight is its own fun, little experience due to their puzzle-esque traits.

That said, Bungie's still got a lot of room for improvement, for even though the grind can be bearable to a certain degree, there's a limit to how much patience one can have with the game's rolls and its RNG system, not to mention how unbalanced and/or annoying the PVP can be at times (I'm looking at you, shotguns). That said, Bungie seems to be working hard on providing new content and updating the game in different ways, so we can always hope the next update adds up to the fun factor and not to the grind one, which can be ridiculous at times even for MMO standards.

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon was released for the PlayStation 3 on April 30th, 2013 as a stand-alone DLC on the PlayStation Store.

Destiny's latest expansion, The Taken King, was released for the PlayStation 3 and 4 on September 15th, 2015 in various formats and editions.

What I'm looking forward to: LEGO Marvel's Avengers

Even though I haven't bought some of the more recent installments, the LEGO franchise, with its simple humour and wacky gameplay, is one alluring mistress, and the latest iteration promises to bring in much more of what has made it so successful in the past, this time by jumping back to using the Marvel universe in all its glory - and boy does it look fun.

Adding even more characters for you to play and/or fool around as, LEGO Marvel's Avengers is sure to prove to be as fun and entertaining as most previous LEGO games, all while being bigger, longer and all-around better.

LEGO Marvel's Avengers will be released for the PlayStation 3, 4 and Vita on January 6th.

Negator

I always love reading these. Here's to another year of surviving.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Here's to a brand new year and another 365 days of survival

Wouldn't it be 366 days?

CallmeNasty

The Banner Saga is a viking-themed tactical role-playing game where you control your army/crew, and have to survive conditions and attacks while traveling. Count me in. I probably lost most of you at "Viking."
    Viking is what hooked me. The tactical part is what lost me.
    Avy created by Beam and kid420247

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by grayghost View Post
    Wouldn't it be 366 days?
    You're right .

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Galaxy beauty pirate

Nice work dudes! I always enjoy reading these.

I've lost myself completely into The legend of heroes: Trails in the sky. So glad I found this little gem (never played it before). I love oldskool Jrpg's (so much charm) and this one has a nice tactical fighting system as well. I play this game on my Vita (it's originally a PSP game). On my PS4 I still play One Piece PW 3 and Tales of Zestiria, but both are on hold for now.

I'm looking forward to my pre-order (29th of januari) The legend of heroes: Trails of cold steel for the Vita, since I enjoy TiTS (sorry I had to) so much. It's an older game as well and it got good reviews.
    Sig by Ramon

Check Those Corners

Glad to be a part of it again.