Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RUMOR: Final Fantasy Versus XIII Cancelled, Resources Being Reallocated To Final Fantasy XV

This is a discussion on RUMOR: Final Fantasy Versus XIII Cancelled, Resources Being Reallocated To Final Fantasy XV within the Final Fantasy Versus XIII forum, part of the F; It's been six years since Square Enix first showed Final Fantasy Versus XIII's debut trailer. Six long years. When that ...

Korean Girl Group Groupie

RUMOR: Final Fantasy Versus XIII Cancelled, Resources Being Reallocated To Final Fantasy XV

It's been six years since Square Enix first showed Final Fantasy Versus XIII's debut trailer. Six long years. When that trailer premiered, George W. Bush was president, Saddam Hussein and Osama Bin Laden were alive, and the global financial crisis had not yet hit. 2006 was a different world, a long, long time ago.
    Now Kotaku has learned that Final Fantasy Versus XIII is no more.

Kotaku has heard from several sources that the game, as originally intended, is done for.
    One source tells Kotaku that Final Fantasy Versus XIII was officially cancelled within the last few weeks. The decision impacted morale at Square Enix and staff were reportedly saddened by the move.
    Square Enix, this source added, has also decided to let Final Fantasy Versus XIII die quietly on the vine and fade away, instead of officially announcing its cancellation. This would likely be due to the fact a public acknowledgement of a Versus' cancellation could impact things like Square Enix's stock prices.
    Final Fantasy Versus XIII has been M.I.A. for the past few months, save for the occasional, brief mention. Earlier this spring,Final Fantasy Versus XIII designer Tetsuya Nomura spoke with Japanese game magFamitsu about the title, which has only ever been seen in trailer and screenshot form.
    "We're almost done with preparing the latest info for the game," Nomura told Famitsu. "Because of a totally unrelated reason, there are circumstances in which that info cannot be released."
    That was March.

Then in May, Nomura once again commented on the game,saying to Game Informer, "We would like to ask for your patience on an official announcement for this title. It always takes time when tackling the challenge of doing something completely new, but we are doing our best to bring information to the fans as quickly as we can. Your patience is greatly appreciated."
    Then E3 came and went with no sign of Versus, which wasn't that strange if you remember the game was not at last year's Tokyo Game Show either.
    Whatever happened to the game over those six years—whether it underwent radical changes or simply couldn't come together—it seems Square Enix has finally decided to cut its losses.

Another source tells Kotaku that, a few months back, Final Fantasy Versus XIII'sdevelopment and resources had actually been folded into another game, which is to be the next numeric Final Fantasy title, Final Fantasy XV. Whether this meant actual game assets and code or simply the movement of staff was unclear. This information was independently corroborated by yet another source, though it's important to note both had learned of the "folding" prior to the more recent news of its outright cancellation.
    The Final Fantasy XIII branded types have not been set in stone: another spinoff title Final Fantasy Agito XIII had its name changed to Final Fantasy Type-0. So what was originally planned as an entire mini-franchise by Square, with multiple titles spanning various platforms, looks now to be focused on the adventures of Lightning.
    Whether it's been cancelled entirely or had resources absorbed into a newer, larger project, the game we once knew as Final Fantasy Versus XIII would seem to be no more. Even if Final Fantasy Versus XIII has been cancelled, I'm inclined to believe that whatever Versus was, or whatever had been created for the game, will turn up in some form in Final Fantasy XV. Surely, Square Enix would not cancel a game and completely dump all the work it's done? Right?

When Kotaku contacted Square Enix about whether or notFinal Fantasy Versus XIII was still in development, the game maker released the following statement: "We have no information on the status of Final Fantasy Versus XIII, but will be sure to update you as it becomes available." Keep in mind, I wasn't asking for an update per se, I simply asked if Square Enix was still making a game it had already announced six years ago. Square Enix did not reply toKotaku's requests for clarification regarding whether Versuswas still in development or not.

Square Enix has a Final Fantasy event coming up in Tokyo in late August and September. One of the stage events is centered around the Final Fantasy XIII Project and the Lightning saga (so a Final Fantasy XIII-3 reveal?). None of the announced stage events center around Final Fantasy Versus XIII, something that Japanese gamers were quick to point out on game sites and blogs.
    So, is Final Fantasy Versus XIII finally and officially dead? Without confirmation from Square Enix, we can't say for sure. While these reports certainly indicate the long-awaited game has been cancelled, Square's reluctance to acknowledge them means those desperately wanting to see more of the project still have a glimmer of hope to hold onto.
    But if the game fails to make an appearance at either the upcoming Final Fantasy celebrations or the 2012 Tokyo Game Show? Then yeah, given what we've heard (particularly of Square's reported desire to kill the game quietly), you'd be a lot safer assuming Versus XIII is kaput and start looking forward to the next big FF game.

Source: Kotaku - Rumor: Final Fantasy Versus XIII Is Dead

As of right now Twitter, Facebook, and fan groups are going crazy with this supposed news. I am sure almost everybody has some thoughts on this latest rumor....

----

I'm going to divide the blame, if this is true - pretty evenly between the Square Enix brass and with Nomura himself, who I have insisted for a long time was being stretched far too thin, and didn't have the skill or know how to front a project on (what was) a next generation system by himself.

Square Enix, for their own fault, should have never announced this title when they did. I really don't think that Square realized how much more work it was going to take to get a triple A title out in a timely manner - much less two of them simultaneously at the same time. It's been shown that Square Enix hasn't exactly expanded it's premiere development groups, or gone out of their way to outsource other individuals to help (like Kojima productions has been able to do) so they were left with too few people, without enough experience with the hardware, to attempt to tackle too much at one time.

Nomura is a brilliant talent, and an amazing artists and story teller - he's just not cut to be a project leader for games of the magnitude of XBox 360 and PlayStation 3 require, especially without having previous knowledge of how things have changed since last generation. There is little doubt in my mind that he didn't become overwhelmed and wasn't able to steer this project where it needed to be - and probably took solace in a side project like Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance for the 3DS (which magically was completed within two years of it's announcement - unlike the project he was linked to heading for going on six years).

I think that Square Enix having to basically fire their entire MMO team, for the atrociously rushed mistake that was Final Fantasy XIV and having to find someone talented enough within the organization to "fix" the giant cluster fuck of a game that was thrust out upon the public - with that project also having missed it's release date, and still looking like it might miss it's deadline by a few months for the re-release of "2.0" (which doesn't even look like the same game, in almost any recognizable way), it's just another chapter in the Square Enix developer diary that can only be labeled as a disappointment.

The sad part is, as a publisher - Square Enix has made leaps and bounds of amazingly brilliant business decisions that have saved it from it's plethora of mistakes and missteps that it has made as a developer. This just appears to be another stain on the reputation of the once mighty Japanese developer, who has developed it's own inability to make progress on home consoles this generation....

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Lvl 6 - Silver

I hope this is just a rumor!!! I was looking forward to this game, the gameplay seemed like the KH system (Which aint a bad thing). Well I suppose if it is cancelled they better make FFXV really bloody good u now like reintroducing world maps, airships, good stories and of course the more chocobos the better

Nope, nothing

I don't think it's true, they'd be stupid to cancel it.

дурак

Don't think it's true. But if it is, I have one thing to say to Square Enix:

Blank Friend Requests will be ignored and/or blocked
    My Checklist | My Trading Thread | My Youtube Channel
    "The oldest and strongest of emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown"

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by Chambers35 View Post
    I don't think it's true, they'd be stupid to cancel it.
    It's been six years, and showed almost no progress as is - it might be stupider to continue with it as it is, as a complete money drain. It could also just mean that they are taking the infrastructure of what they have out of Nomura's hands and just changing to another and giving it a new label. Months ago there was the rumor that the game was getting a name change - maybe there is a biggest shake-up going on behind the scenes with what they have than just a title change.

I don't think everything is completely wasted, and it's not like they can't just move parts and pieces around whether it be backgrounds, enemies, menus and convert them to a new game. The Crystal Tools engine is supposed to be one of the most flexible engines out there. Don't believe me? Check out what they've done with some of the things from Final Fantasy XIII and how they've moved them into Final Fantasy XIV 2.0.

I feel the only stupid thing for Square Enix, at this point, would be to continue to back Nomura and his ineptitude.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Lvl 6 - Silver

I hope it's not true. I was really looking forward to this game.
    Thanks to xEl Cidx for my awesome Avy and Sig.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Well, we'll just have to play the waiting game with this to see if it turns out true or not. I'm not sure what to believe. I'd like to play this game eventually, but to tell you the truth, I'm not sure I even care anymore.

Sig and avatar courtesy of ABSTRACT678
    Platbar courtesy of ThunderStick

Game on....

Thankfully this is a rumor

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

Lately rumors have been coming true, I think it's messed up how they can have us invest interests in a game for 6 years
    And build so much anticipation for it then turn around and cancel it just because maybe they wanna bring another 13 game in with lightning....true fans want a whole new world to experience
    And if sequels are the only thing they have for FF projects then I can see
    Square enix losing more than just morale
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

No Game No Life

Read this earlier but didn't bother posting it since its Kotaku. I don't trust their "sources" and I'm not buying this story until there's an official announcement

Currently Playing:
    I dunno what to play anymore.. Too many JRPG

Checklist || GFX Showcase

Stop looking at me swan!

I also second that I would need an official source before I could believe Kotaku as well. Though it honestly wouldn't surprise me if this game was canceled considering how long it's gone since it's announcement. One way or another, it's a bad move to cancel the game since I'm sure this move will kill off a lot of customers and may send SE down the tubes and especially if the japanese revolt against this. The only way out is like the above says where it would just let the game die quietly. By now I don't think many of us even care anymore, I just hold a "when it's out, it's out" attitude since I got tired of waiting.

A plat a month!

Wasn't there a rumor a while back that vs FFXIII was being renamed to FFXV?

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Kotaku is notorious for their "rumors", i say just wait until some solid proof is here. Because judging Kotaku's past, 6/10 the rumor might be false... I just hope this won't interfer with the already overdue Kingdom Hearts series...

No Game No Life

Quote Originally Posted by wandarer View Post
    Wasn't there a rumor a while back that vs FFXIII was being renamed to FFXV?
    Yeah there was. There's also this video when that rumor spread

Currently Playing:
    I dunno what to play anymore.. Too many JRPG

Checklist || GFX Showcase

The Deathly Rhythm

If its Cancelled, its not Square's fault, they got sooooo many games to make and I think the same thing that happened to Kojima's team that was working on Metal Gear Solid Rising happened to them also, I think FF V13 worked them idk
    Avy and Sig made by the awesome DaRe_xLw

Feel free to add me: New PSN ID AzureBlaze99

Harvester of Souls

This is pretty damn sad news, but I can't blame it either.. Just like all of Rubicant's post say. I was really looking forward to this game, especially since I hated XIII anyways, definitely wanted a more normal - esque Final Fantasy game, but no matter. Hopefully they will turn this around into XV and save it and be epic. But we shall see.

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Any game that has been this long in production with very little been shown to the public always had me a little worried.

But if they are moving this to FFXV then that is fine by me aslong as that character from all the Verses clips is still in the game i'll be happy.

Bringing the PAIN

Honestly I have stopped being excited about FF titles as I once was... I would rather they killed it and made an actual KH game as opposed to this at this point! I would need a really good FF game to bring me back into the fold like I was in the days when 7-12 came out...

Avi by:dsluckay
    Sig by:In2

Mr. X

If this is true it wouldn't be much of a shock. The game has been in development for so long and we've hardly seen or heard anything of it.

I think it's sad that they can put out a sequel to XIII considering its reception but this game has just fallen away.

Hopefully they can take what they've done and really reignite the series with XV.

the sea. these earthless catcombs. our tombs they have become.

Resident PHD

Seriously who wants another Lightening game, she was easily the most boring character from 13. Give me a Sahz game instead.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast