Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Official Final Fantasy X HD Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on Official Final Fantasy X HD Discussion Thread within the Final Fantasy X HD forum, part of the F; Originally Posted by Rubicant81 I think it's also fair to argue that you're also overestimating the draw of Final Fantasy ...

Black Queen Style

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    I think it's also fair to argue that you're also overestimating the draw of Final Fantasy VII remake would do. The originally sold close to 8 million copies between it's original run and it's digital download. That doesn't mean it's going to go and sell 8 million units again and instantly double sales.

The first two God of War games sold 7 million units on their original run, and sold about 2.3 million with the collection, and was a hit, but also was to prepare itself for the upcoming third numerical entry in the series.
    The Sly games sold about 1.5 million units on their PS2 run, and The Sly Collection/Trilogy has only sold 300,000 units with a sequel set out next year. Tomb Raider Trilogy at 192,000 units of sales, for a new reboot next year. The Icon and Shadow of the Colossus Collection has about 300,000 in sales in it's first two weeks, but again is in anticipation for Last Guardian somewhere down the road. And that being said, these are 2-3 game collections, not a single title that is over 15 years old.

What I am getting at, is the HD treatment doesn't equal sales, especially if you had to totally rebuild a game from scratch like Final Fantasy VII would require. I just don't know if Square Enix is willing to take the chance on it being worth it, with nothing to capitalize off of to follow it up with. I know there's going to be a dozen posts trying to tell me other wise, but I don't see Final Fantasy VII being released, at a lower cost, by itself, HD or not, being something that is going to bring in enough new fans, or revenue to make it worth the effort.
    Ultimately this brings us back to FFX. Sales of this title will go far in determining whether VII, as you say, will be worth the effort. And I'm going to try not to sound like too much of a fangirl here, but I would pit (worldwide mind you) VII as a stand alone title against the franchises you speak of. GOW perhaps being it's rival fanbase wise.
    Not to mention, and maybe I'm wrong about this nowadays, but I believe Sony still has exclusivity rights to the game as well. The question could become whether Sony would believe the title could sell consoles. I can't imagine Sony not backing this enterprise. But again, I could be speaking out of my ass ~laughs~

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Rubi, I see your point and frankly, I half want a remake and half don't. It'd be nice to have voices instead of text, new graphics and who knows what else they would add, but then again Cid and his text bubbles of $%$#&# would be missed. I doubt, SE would have him swearing outloud on the screen as much as the text allowed him. Not to mention, they could edit certain scenes to match with the stuff that came out from the spin-offs.

Still, before they even bring out a remake of whichever FF after this one, I'd really like to see two certain games that were introduced nearly at the same time as FFXIII. Just where the hell are Versus 13 and Agito (or Type-O, can't remember which name is the official now)?

Kiwi Defender

We all know they are going with X first because:

1.- It's popular.
    2.- They can just upscale it to HD since it's a PS2 game and see how well it sells, without much effort, which wouldn't be possible with FFVII due to it being 13+ years old.

Either way, as long as they give me FFXII in HD too sometime later, I'll be happy. No need for them to remake any previous FF, since they'd lose their charm.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Mr. X

Can't we just be happy that they're releasing an amazing game with HD graphics and trophies? You can't mention the words Final Fantasy these days without everyone clamouring for a remake of VII. This isn't without mentioning how over-rated VII is. Most people put it on a pedestal because it was their first. I've also come across a lot of people who say it's the best Final Fantasy ever and then I find out it's the only one they've bothered to play.

Yes VII is a fantastic game. The original still stands the test of time. A remake would be nice but I wish people would just shut up about it. In fact a remake of the 3 PSOne FF's would be great. Remakes of Silent Hill, Resident Evil 2, Metal Gear etc. would be fantastic but at the end of the day we can still play the originals and we should be thankful we've had and still have the chance.

Can't wait for this. Would love a release date and to see some screenshots. I've got a feeling the plat will be very hard, esp if it includes the Dark Aeons. I only managed to do Valefor last time. Brutal.

the sea. these earthless catcombs. our tombs they have become.

Revelations 19:16

I bought FF7 on ps1 disc, and downloaded it from the PSN when it released...Best believe if they did a remake of it, they've got my money already, and im sure a LOT of people feel the same. FF7 is what brought and held me into the series. I played a few others, but FF7 was the one that made the biggest impression.
    "The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering."

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by ShindaUsagi View Post
    I understand your argument but I think you're underestimating the draw a modernized VII would bring. It's a cult phenomena and something fans have been dying for since Advent Children.
    What is the market segment you are trying to attract here? And why would such a population be interested in "a modernized FFVII"?

Your hardcore "Final Fantasy cult" types have probably already played the game.... perhaps on more than one platform. What are you offering them in order to encourage them to pony up another $40+?

Your average RPGer has likely heard of the game. If he's already played it, why would he pay more money to play it again when he could spend that cash on a new game and a new experience? If he hasn't already played it, why would updated graphics sway him when so many newly released RPGs will boast similar effects and all the other modern amenities that an RPG experience offers? If he is interested in playing it, why wouldn't he just drop the $10 (or whatever the price point currently is) to get the game through PSN and save the rest for something else?

The average, anonymous "other" gamer probably isn't going to care either way.

I just don't see a target audience for a re-release that stands to offer Square Enix any substantial returns on the money they'd invest into a modernization of the game and all the production costs to get said modernization to market. Especially considering the product is already out there (even if it doesn't have the high-end "polish and finish" an HD version would), and at a lower price point. Simple economics dictates people will gravitate to the cheaper version, all things being equal.
    (this space intentionally left blank)

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by njdevil View Post
    Your average RPGer has likely heard of the game.

I just don't see a target audience for a re-release that stands to offer Square Enix any substantial returns on the money they'd invest into a modernization of the game and all the production costs to get said modernization to market. Especially considering the product is already out there (even if it doesn't have the high-end "polish and finish" an HD version would), and at a lower price point. Simple economics dictates people will gravitate to the cheaper version, all things being equal.
    FFVII is a game known by practically everyone, whether it is due to the game's fanboys praising it, or for those who didn't like it shit-talking it, or for the thousands of parodies you can find around the internet. The game is known by a lot of people, and I assure you there are some who have never played it and won't do it unless it gets updated graphics (because there actually are people out there who won't play old-gen games due to them not having "awesome" graphics).

Also, the chances of it selling are pretty good. Not only is there a large group of people who'd get it yet again due to it being a new version, but there are also those I mentioned earlier who won't play it unless it gets updated. And let's not forget that previous HD Collections (or games) have had a hude success and favorable sales, both from those who owned them previously and wanted an HD version, and from those who never owned them and wanted to give them a try.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    FFVII is a game known by practically everyone, whether it is due to the game's fanboys praising it, or for those who didn't like it shit-talking it, or for the thousands of parodies you can find around the internet. The game is known by a lot of people, and I assure you there are some who have never played it and won't do it unless it gets updated graphics (because there actually are people out there who won't play old-gen games due to them not having "awesome" graphics).

Also, the chances of it selling are pretty good. Not only is there a large group of people who'd get it yet again due to it being a new version, but there are also those I mentioned earlier who won't play it unless it gets updated. And let's not forget that previous HD Collections (or games) have had a hude success and favorable sales, both from those who owned them previously and wanted an HD version, and from those who never owned them and wanted to give them a try.
    I posted a lot of the collection numbers, and I would say aside from God of War Collection and possibly Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection (which will probably round out at the end at around 450,000 units when the dust settles) I wouldn't say that the collections have been a huge success. All the while, doing HD upgrades to PlayStation 2 titles isn't exactly a very high risk proposition, where as rebuilding a game from the ground entirely up (something that I can't think has been done to a home console yet, please correct me if I am wrong) to make it look HD is going to cost a considerable more amount of time, money, and manpower.

Let's not forget that Square Enix is the publisher who did the Tomb Raider Trilogy set, and saw poor sales returns on that title.

This isn't the generation of people who buy new games, like they did back when Final Fantasy VII came out. More people rent games and especially buy used - than ever. Those aren't exactly returns that are going to make it back to Square Enix's pocket. It would be a risk, considering it is not something that has been done (to my knowledge).

I'll also add, that Square Enix today released their first demo of their new "Luminous" Engine for next gen systems. Which is supposedly going to shave 30% off of development cycles time and costs. (So Final Fantasy XIII: Versus only takes 4 years instead of 6 to make!) Here's the demo and article. Wouldn't you rather see a game being remade on the ground up on this engine?

Square Enix Details Photo-Realistic Next-Gen Engine - Games News at IGN

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Lvl 6 - Silver

Yesss!!!

Just subscribed.

With respect to VII, Final Fantasy X is my favorite.

I have done everything there is to do in XII accept get Danjuro. (THAT is a sore subject.)

Q: What is the longest you remember sitting there for either Grinding the Sphere Grid or just doing the Story?

5Days. I'd reach a point...start grinding on a Monday and then play all weekend long.
    I have a frightening capacity for power leveling that some people feel takes the fun out of the game.

I don't think I want a complete remake. All they need to do is smooth a couple of things out and add trophies and I will be born-again-HARD.
    Last edited by lucy diamond; 10-13-2011 at 09:36 AM.

Playin some Deadpool :/

For the record, Lucy Diamond is a movie reference and I'm a guy.

What are you doing right now? thread

A plat a month!

Quote Originally Posted by RedBullLordy View Post
    Rumoured Feature, but SE been so tight with info over the game.

To be quite frank I'd just settle with a direct port and Trophies
    I'm hoping this title is redone for HD, and trophies added. To be honest, I love the FF series, but didn't care much for this title. The game was too linear to me (less than XIII), and I just couldn't get into the characters.

I'm still planning on getting this though.

PRO Member

I hope its a re-make and could you imagine a FF7 remake

Sig by: Dsluckay Avy by: Dsluckay

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Lmao any thread remotely related to Square Enix turns into a FFVII debate. Anyways, one thing that annoyed me is that when the FFX HD remaster was announced, loadsa people complained that FFVII should have been remade instead. It's ridiculous suggesting this as FFX only requires that HD treatment that all the other collections have got whereas FFVII would need to be completely remade as a new game. The difference in time and money between the two is massive!

Anyways, I would much rather see Versus than FFVII, although I am curious as to see how they would approach a FFVII remake. Also, giving Square Enix's track record of late, aren't people apprehensive that they might completely destroy the original?

No Game No Life

They should have included X-2 with it so that we can have a collection of FF X series.
    Another thing, I didn't find any credible sources that they are remaking X. What I've only heard so far is that it's a remaster.

Online blitzball anyone? that would be

Currently Playing:
    I dunno what to play anymore.. Too many JRPG

Checklist || GFX Showcase

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by Jambalaya View Post
    Anyways, I would much rather see Versus than FFVII, although I am curious as to see how they would approach a FFVII remake. Also, giving Square Enix's track record of late, aren't people apprehensive that they might completely destroy the original?
    The sad thing about Final Fantasy XIII: Versus is it's rapidly approaching that time period in which the build-up and hype is going to lead to unattainable expectations. You're never going to please everybody, but I see this being one of those games that if you go in with expectations of some massive super-deep game with a 6+ year development cycle, people are going to be left wanting, because I don't see it happening.

Square Enix's track record isn't too horribly bad. It's not like Final Fantasy XIII was anywhere near as bad as it's been blown into, people just seem to focus on the negatives and the game and completely ignore that the game actually did more right, than it did wrong.
    Final Fantasy XIV is a train wreck so massive, that the entire group responsible for it lost their jobs in one fell-swoop, but there's a new group trying their butts off to polish the heaping pile of diarrhea into something that can be marketable. I feel it's a lost cause, and they should serious scrap the title and restart from the ground up, considering the game that is now is just that horrible. This would be the only major hiccup in Square Enix's recent history.
    3rd Birthday, Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep, Dissidia 012: Duodecim, were all solid entries on the PlayStation Portable, that range from good to very good. Final Fantasy XIII: Type-0 also launches at the end of the month and looks pretty impressive considering the hardware. So Square Enix has been consistent in releasing titles for the PSP, but are often overlooked considering their aren't a lot of people who are hardcore PSP fans.
    So their track record, unless you were really looking forward to Final Fantasy XIV, is still to release good games, just not as many of them, and with longer development cycles. Which longer development cycles in today's CoD, Madden, Assassin's Creed, getting annual installments, really feel that much longer.

I'm not entirely sure they'd "destroy" a Final Fantasy VII remake, since fans of the title seem to be able to overlook the flaws of the title and put it on a pedestal as long as it has the characters still in it. I am just not sure that at this point, Square Enix is the innovative, risk taker, that they were when they would release a wide range of titles and even risk making a total CG movie with the Final Fantasy name in it. If somebody is going to completely remake a game from the ground up from the PS1/Saturn generation and release it to the market, I just don't see it being a company like Square Enix doing it, considering the current direction of the company. They are much more of play it safe, buy companies who are in trouble at the cheap, and focus on handheld titles company today.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by [FnG] Unholy Eve View Post
    Same here I enjoyed the game on the PS2 and is one of the only FF's games I have finished.
    I will buy this game and I will sink another 100-150 hours into it and as a bonus I still have the original guide for it
    The Piggyback Guide is amazing for Final Fantasy X, I still have my copy too.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Did anyone do the dodge lightning 1 million times to get an ultimate weapon?? Or the the Chocobo race for a UW? Both were quite tedious! But still fun to play!

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Q: What is the longest you remember sitting there for either Grinding the Sphere Grid or just doing the Story?
    I always get to the point before the final dungeon and just grind until I get my chars as powerful as possible on any FF game.

I couldn't give you an exact length but considering I had done everything (all celestial weapons - apart from wakka - all dark aeons defeated, complete sphere grid) I can imagine I spent a very long time doing it

Prometheus stole fire from Zeus, I'm stealing his thunder

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    The sad thing about Final Fantasy XIII: Versus is it's rapidly approaching that time period in which the build-up and hype is going to lead to unattainable expectations. You're never going to please everybody, but I see this being one of those games that if you go in with expectations of some massive super-deep game with a 6+ year development cycle, people are going to be left wanting, because I don't see it happening.

Square Enix's track record isn't too horribly bad. It's not like Final Fantasy XIII was anywhere near as bad as it's been blown into, people just seem to focus on the negatives and the game and completely ignore that the game actually did more right, than it did wrong.
    Final Fantasy XIV is a train wreck so massive, that the entire group responsible for it lost their jobs in one fell-swoop, but there's a new group trying their butts off to polish the heaping pile of diarrhea into something that can be marketable. I feel it's a lost cause, and they should serious scrap the title and restart from the ground up, considering the game that is now is just that horrible. This would be the only major hiccup in Square Enix's recent history.
    3rd Birthday, Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep, Dissidia 012: Duodecim, were all solid entries on the PlayStation Portable, that range from good to very good. Final Fantasy XIII: Type-0 also launches at the end of the month and looks pretty impressive considering the hardware. So Square Enix has been consistent in releasing titles for the PSP, but are often overlooked considering their aren't a lot of people who are hardcore PSP fans.
    So their track record, unless you were really looking forward to Final Fantasy XIV, is still to release good games, just not as many of them, and with longer development cycles. Which longer development cycles in today's CoD, Madden, Assassin's Creed, getting annual installments, really feel that much longer.

I'm not entirely sure they'd "destroy" a Final Fantasy VII remake, since fans of the title seem to be able to overlook the flaws of the title and put it on a pedestal as long as it has the characters still in it. I am just not sure that at this point, Square Enix is the innovative, risk taker, that they were when they would release a wide range of titles and even risk making a total CG movie with the Final Fantasy name in it. If somebody is going to completely remake a game from the ground up from the PS1/Saturn generation and release it to the market, I just don't see it being a company like Square Enix doing it, considering the current direction of the company. They are much more of play it safe, buy companies who are in trouble at the cheap, and focus on handheld titles company today.
    First I must say I agree with you. I actually rather enjoyed FFXIII, loved Dissidia and I'm mad excited about Type-0! My comment regarding their 'track record' was referring to the panning Square Enix has got from it's 'fanbase' (and I use that term very loosely) ever since the merger happened. I would say that because FFVII is held in scarily high regard by its disciples, even a fairly good remake would be torn apart for every single tiny thing that is not exactly like the original. Lord only knows what would happen if they tried to 'modernise' the game to be more in vein with their newer stuff, I think the internet would explode!

By the way it is refreshing to hear someone actually say well thought out intelligent comments on the internet (especially about FF), you're a dying breed my friend.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by RaveNScythE18 View Post
    They should have included X-2 with it so that we can have a collection of FF X series
    You want me to invest good money into "Final Fantasy: Girls' Slumber Party of Mini-Games"? No thanks.

Re-release X-2 if you must. Re-release XII if you must. Please, PLEASE don't stick them on the same disk as FFX, because I wouldn't want to touch either with an eleven-foot Bohunk (which is what you use when a ten-foot Pole isn't big enough). Those two titles were almost enough to destroy my faith in the Final Fantasy series.
    (this space intentionally left blank)

I'm A Walking Anime......

Did you not read what I posted?

FFXHD is making money that they will use for FF7 re-make?
    Sry man I did not see that, but I rather see Versus and FF7 remake than a 10 remake, But 10 remake is going to be tight
    Sig and Avy made by the talented DaRe_xLw

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast