Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

0:0.0 in the chocobo race is going to kill me

This is a discussion on 0:0.0 in the chocobo race is going to kill me within the Final Fantasy X HD forum, part of the F; Seriously, does anyone have any advice beyond "luck?" I am about to tear my hair out over this. 200 lightning ...

PRO Member

0:0.0 in the chocobo race is going to kill me

Seriously, does anyone have any advice beyond "luck?"

I am about to tear my hair out over this. 200 lightning bolts? Ok. 36 Blitzball games? Fine. This is by far the most irritating thing about this game, I didn't like it during the PS2-era and I seem to have forgotten how irritating it was.

Anybody have any actual help?
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

illegal in 9 countries

No, but GAUSS!

Lord of all Goat-Men

Inb4 some smug fuck says "oi just be heaps fucking good at it like I am ay," ala Demon's Souls.

I've nothing to offer by snide remarks and sarcasm, but I hope you find the information you're after.

Negator

Game Shark!

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

illegal in 9 countries

KCCO!

What's this about? You have to finish a race with a time of 0:0.0?

Lvl 5 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    What's this about? You have to finish a race with a time of 0:0.0?
    You get a time bonus by collecting ballons. Each will reduce the spent time a bit so if you collect enough ballons (and don't get hit by birds if I recall correctly) you can manage to reduce your overall time for the race to 0:0.0.

Looking forward to play FFX again after so many years but I'm neither looking forward to this mini game nor the butterfly race through the forest.

As far as I remember there were different sets of distribution for the ballons and you should get that one where you can collect the first two ballons and not the trainer. I'd actually check on youtube for someone who did it successfully and try to take exactly the same route (EDIT: just like antithesis posted ). If you don't get the best ballon distribution, skip the race and try again.

PRO Member

Holy shit ballz, GAUSS!!!

Also, that video ant1 posted is good. It really boils down to luck and placement of your chocobo. Try using the Dpad for the most accurate positions.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Lvl 4 - Silver

My advice is just use the D-pad as daftprophet said, and listen to music. Just be casual with this and don't pay attention to whether or not you'll get it. The more you try to focus the angrier you'll get when you lose. And take breaks every 20 minutes or so to clear your head. I actually got the record time when I was changing a song on my computer.

PRO Member

Thanks for the suggestion guys. I'll have to try some of this tonite.

Quote Originally Posted by daftprophet View Post
    Holy shit ballz, GAUSS!!!.
    Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    No, but GAUSS!
    What lol? I still exist and am me... I just took a new job within my place of employment. I work in my employer's equivalent of the skunk works (one of them atleast), so I have kinda not had a whole lot of free-time like I used to.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.

Kiwi Defender

Oi just be heaps fucking good at it like I am ay. Last time I replayed the game (late last year) I got it on my second or third try. When you're as good as me it just comes naturally . If being as good as me fails, you can try what dj suggested and use a Game Shark!

Anyway, avoid hitting the birds more than trying to hit the balloons, otherwise you might end up fucking up. If possible, stay behind your opponent with the forgettable name so he takes care of the birds for you, then race past him and aim for the route with the most balloons for you to hit.

If that fails, try being as good as me though!

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion guys. I'll have to try some of this tonite.

What lol? I still exist and am me... I just took a new job within my place of employment. I work in my employer's equivalent of the skunk works (one of them atleast), so I have kinda not had a whole lot of free-time like I used to.
    Fair enough. We all experience that from time to time.

Yeah, this challenge is a pain though. Definitely use the Dpad.

|
    |by Smashguy |

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I managed to get it after like 100 attempts but here is the advice I came up with for myself. Use the d-pad, try to get out in front of her at the start, don't go out of your way to get balloons, try to get at least 15 balloons and try not to get hit at all. You have to get 2 balloons to make up for each hit. I got 18 balloons and got hit twice and still got it.

Lvl 4 - Silver

wait till you see the 200 lightning bolt Dodges.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_poetry View Post
    wait till you see the 200 lightning bolt Dodges.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    200 lightning bolts? Ok.
    He already has .

Toggle Spoiler

My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    He already has .
    Oops seems i have missed that line.

Fight Off Your Demons

Some good advice here. Don't get too involved, since a lot is about luck with balloons at the start. If they aren't lined up to where you can get at least 4 of them, think of it as a practice run and just work on dodging birds, chances are you won't beat the time without the balloons in the beginning. Focus on birds over getting balloons. They come 2 at a time for you, and 2 at a time for the trainer. Pay attention to which ones are yours and which ones are hers, so you're not trying to dodge a bird that's not coming after you. D-pad helps as well.

I'm terrible with racing games, and terrible with reactions in games in general. I got this in about an hour and a half from the first training mission to beating the race in under 0.0.0, so it's definitely doable. Just don't let it stress you out since a lot of it is luck, and pay attention to the birds on races you stand a chance in (where the balloons are lined up well).

PRO Member

Fuck yes!

After taking a break from the game for a bit, I came back last night and took your guys' advice. Sun Sigil obtained.

It took me about an hour and a half (maybe a little less), and the d-pad usage made a huge difference. It seems to be easier to deal with the fact the chocobo keeps wanting to go back to the median of the track using the d-pad. It's still kinda finicky, because I believe you are controlling a delta from the main course as opposed to the actual path of the chocobo (i.e. the chocobo follows a pre-programmed path and your d-pad isn't steering the chocobo, it is provided a vector from the path for the choobo to follow at that instant in time); however the joystick gives you the illusion that anything more than right-and-left do anything, so the d-pad gets your brain working with the mini-game's controls.

Anyway... For those that are having my problems, I highly recommend Disturbedkinpark's method. It is truly all luck based, I got the hang of doing the run in 36-39 seconds real-time and getting hit by <3 birds. Its random though, sometimes you get 2 birds back to back and it ruins a whole run... Sometimes you only get 2 ballons in the beginning and it ruins the whole run. Just find a good path where you can be consistent and keep running that path, until the ballons line up in your favor. I can't stress that enough, try to get a path that works where you have a consistent time and wait for the ballons! Don't go off running different paths every time in an effort to get 14+ ballons, you will end up like me originally spending almost 3 fruitless hours.

Once you kinda get that groove, just turn on some music or a podcast and run the race "in the background."

PRO Member

Glad to hear man! I completely agree with the chocobo being directed by a vector and is why anyone attempting this should use the Dpad and taps!

Congrats Gauss

|
    |by Smashguy |

Kiwi Defender

See, Gauss? All you had to do was be heaps fucking good at it like I am ay. Once you get the hang of it for the first time, it becomes relatively easy on your subsequent attempts (in case you ever try to fully complete the game again, that is).

Toggle Spoiler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast