Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First Impressions: Final Fantasy 13-2... And an open letter to all FF fans

This is a discussion on First Impressions: Final Fantasy 13-2... And an open letter to all FF fans within the Final Fantasy XIII-2 forum, part of the F; So I got my copy of FF13-2 yesterday, I am lucky my job has a flexible schedule so I loaded ...

PRO Member

First Impressions: Final Fantasy 13-2... And an open letter to all FF fans

So I got my copy of FF13-2 yesterday, I am lucky my job has a flexible schedule so I loaded my day so I could have almost all the evening free to play it.

I opened it up and was really excited at first, but then the opening scene came... What followed is a bit of a roller coaster as I am slowly going through phases of wanting to play the game and not really caring at all whats going on.

When it comes to execution of this game, Square's high-art presentation is still among the best in the industry. Everything in the universe is beautiful, the attention to detail is incredible, and the sense of scope is phenomenal. I also really like some of the tweaks to the battle system, which is still in full swing from what FF13 used. Overall it is a whole lot of fun.

The thing I have to address comes on two fronts. The first is the dialogue in this game. I watch alot of foreign flicks and play some foreign games, I know not everything translates properly. Someone really needs to sit down with SE though and tell them that real people, even Japanese people, don't talk like this. Its not present all the time, but too often there are little quips and phrases uttered that just make you go "WTF did he just say?" and you actually need to consiously make an effort to decode the babble. This shouldn't happen. Its ok every once in awhile, but the first scene was full of it. This may also be exacerbated by my next point...

I have a huge problem with some of the assumptions the game makes up front. The game opens with a big fight between Lightning and Caius, without really explaining anything. Now I assume that later in the game their relationship is established (ah the wonders and horrors of non-linear narratives), but the problem with this scenes comes in two flavors. The minor one is that you don't know whats going on, but the major one is that the only reason this scene is shown is because the game assumes you already know who Lightning is and what the general concept of what is going on.

I didn't do alot of research before this game comes out, but I played the shit outta FF13. When the game boots up and she is fighting Caius and I have no idea why she is here, what is going on, etc... Even if I care about her as a character this whole thing is meaningless to me, but it was put in where it was simply because SE assumes we care about Lightning.

Its just bad story telling, and honestly thats what my entire 4 hours can be summed up as: A pretty game I've enjoyed playing from a gameplay standpoint, but a story I have yet to become really interested in... The game sure as hell unlocks things earlier than the previous title, but that helps nothing if it still takes 8 hours to navigate my way to the core story because of the non-linearity (by definition almost, since this spawns from time-travel).

And that leads me to where I am going to close this post, a simple open letter to all FF fans:

Dear FF fanboy,

Seriously, you need to chill out. If you are going to be a fan of a series that, by definition, needs to change with every iteration you need to deal with the fact that each of these games is going to be different and embrace that. If you can't, then stop loving the series right now. Move on.

Yeah I know FF7 was awesome! I know you loved FF10! Those games aren't going to stop existing, but the whole point of the series is that each "Fantasy" is the "Final" version of itself.

The reason I am saying this is that while I am enjoying this game for the most part, so many of the problems this game has are the cause of you, FF fanboy. Yeah, its nice that the game opens up in the first 2 hours, but from there the game starts becoming too watered down. Your demands in regards to everything have slowly spawned an FF that feels more like an Elder Scrolls game... And I don't like that. You shouldn't either, the brilliance of this series comes from its clarity.

Now, yes, at the end of the day the execution is at the feet of SE, but I am begging you, pleading you to take your share of the blame in being overly harsh toward modern FFs. You have to admit you're spewing hate of FFs in the public eye for no good reason other than they didn't follow your predetermined FF formula.

Final Fantasy can, and should, always be changing. We need to and should embrace that. What we should criticize is when SE isn't taking risks with the series, when they pander too much to their pre-adopted formulas. We need to steep our criticism in things that legitimately effect the quality of the title and not reduce ourselves to bitching over the fact that Materia is gone or there is no world map.

Sincerely,
    Hoping FF respawns
    This isn't necessarily directed at any one person btw, I'm not trying to call anybody out.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Click-Click-Kaboom

I have been playing for a few hours and I think its awesome. But I do understand the beginning of the game and being like WTF. If you didn't know who Lightning was you be like who is this and why are they fighting. But I also agree 100% with Gauss post. Sometimes while they are talking you are like WTH did they just say. What I have played I really liked, but I have always been a fan of FF and understand the change in each game.

PSN- Il_WidowmakeR_Il

Monica Rial #1 Fan

While I am an FFXIII hater, I will agree with you that every FF title should have it's uniqueness. That's what made the series as great as it has been.

My main problems with 13 were, first, the characters. I seriously couldn't find a single character that I could either relate to or even like. It really became that I wanted them all to die, because they were all so annoying. If there's on thing FF always had was characters you could like or find endearing right off the bat, which allowed you to more easily immerse yourself into the story because you wanted to see what would happen to them, even if the story would slow to a crawl or turn vague at some points.

Secondly, the story. The beginning was so boring, and so utterly predictable that as much as I tried to immerse myself into it, I could not no matter how hard I tried, and since, as I mentioned above, I couldn't find a character to motivate me forward, I just completely lost interest and moved on. Everybody would say, the story gets better at about the 20 hours mark, well I don't have the patience for that. That's like someone telling me to check out a movie, but just sit tight though the first hour, because it's boring and the characters are annoying, but it gets better after that. No thanks.

Finally, i just couldn't get into the whole battle system. I'll be the first to admit I'm not the greatest strategist when it comes to RPG's. I've always loved the FF titles, but I've always been a liitle slower than most to pick up the nuances of battle systems. In other words I would tend to do a lotta grinding to slowly elevate my characters levels higher than needed to make the later battles a little easier on myself. Most of the systems FF has used have been great in their execution and nuances, and while some of them have had flaws, you learned to adapt to them. No matter how hard I tried I just couldn't get the hang, or really make sense of the system. It just seemed convoluted and non-sensical. Maybe I'm just a little RPG retarded, but despite my definciences I've been able to work my way through most RPG's I've played in one way or another.

Well those are my two cents. I'll shut up now.

PRO Member

No need to shut up Tommy, I am not necessarily pinning it as FF13 can't be disliked (nor is it about FF13 in particular, this is just as much about 12, 10, 9, etc).

In regards to the opening of 13-2, my complaints are you get no context to anything. It assumes the scene matters to you because you know who Lightning is, so it does a very poor job of establishing anything.

In regards to my open letter, I liked 13, not everybody did. What I don't like is people who complain about things in the guise of "Thats not Final Fantasy."

If every game is different, it stands to reason that not all games are going to be liked. I liked Lightning, you didn't. Thats all subjective. You liked FF9, I didn't.

What I'm not going to say is that FF9 sucked because it didn't have some FF thing that needs to be in there like the obligatory "Kupo!" or Ifrit or that it didn't have Materia or the Sphere Grid or some other system I've loved.

Those types of complaints are what is driving me nuts, because I feel like this game has gotten off to such a bad start because of assholes like the guy at VGCats or countless losers on various internet forums that leverage pages of stuff at SE that boil down to "I want you to remake my favorite FF again and again" or being just straight ignorant about what this series has been (i.e. the linearity of FF13).
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.

Korean Girl Group Groupie

I've enjoyed it so far (about 8 hours into it), there are things that are slightly annoying and things I outright feel are a bit forced, but I don't necessarily feel that the story is so bad that, or the dialogue is as horrible as has been pointed out. I've got the impression that although the story is intended to be a serious one, that the game itself doesn't necessarily take a serious tone (in fact, for answering comedic responses to many of the games live triggers rewards you with unique treasure spheres later on).

Anyways first impression positives
    - Enjoy that the narrative is being told by Lightnings "all-seeing vision" which reminds me a lot of how the original was told by Vanille's perspective and gives a bit of an epic feel.
    - The side quests aren't that difficult to find, and the addition of the moogle really helps (not forces) you to find extra ways or along the story if you're confused about where to go next.
    - The crystarium is simpler to understand, and leads to a lot more customization of your own individual play style earlier, not to mention it doesn't lock you out at any part of the story.
    - I actually like these main characters and care about them and their journey, particularly Noel who draws out a particular apathy with his early story.

Early impression negatives
    - The soundtrack is downright confusing at times, with pop music at one turn, a remix of an old song at the next, and the ridiculously bad metal songs that go with the bosses, ironically making me want to kill the bosses even faster to get those high star ratings.
    - The random battles often pop in strange places that are somewhat annoying, and the camera angle often is the first opponent you need to fight with in order to determine where the enemy is.
    - Load times during the middle of a cut scene sometimes is mildly irritating.

Overall, enjoying the experience quite a bit, and am hoping to lose another large chunks of hours into it today.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by The Legend Killer View Post
    My main problems with 13 were (...SNIP)
    Funny, I could have written what you did, almost word-for-word. Only difference is, I'd apply all that to 12 whereas you apply it to 13. But different strokes for different folks, right?
    (this space intentionally left blank)

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    What exactly do you mean? Does the scene actually stop to load, or is it just a little swirling icon in the corner type of deal?

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by Igonge View Post
    What exactly do you mean? Does the scene actually stop to load, or is it just a little swirling icon in the corner type of deal?
    Sometimes during a particularly long cut scene there will be a pause, then a now loading screen, then the scene will continue.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Lvl 5 - Silver

Ive enjoyed my run so far with the game. The beauty of any FF game is any givin one could be someones first , someones favorite, someones #1, my example, imagine you truely dont care for any turn based anything(crazy i kno) than you see someone playing 12 and try it yourself. Well that game is what hooked me on FF in general,and as a result ive tried alot of them from that, and would not have enjoyed 13 as much if i didnt play 12 first. FF13-2 is an awesome FF game, and people will love it and some people wont. The bummer part with FF fans is everyone wants a repeat of thier favorite FF game, well until HD remakes ,nope, EVERY FF is unique in that it is its own story,its own battle system, like the post above stated its own Final Fantasy, my attitude in FF games has changed that i may probably get FF10 HD remake even tho i remember not enjoying it(but i honestly didnt play nuff to give it that fair chance) But im also truely crossing fingers for the FF12 International HD remake as i put 200 + hours into the original only.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

The story feels close to Final Fantasy X-2.

Besides for the Time Travel and all that.

"I need to find Lightning..." - Serah
    "I need to find Tidus..." - Yuna

I'm enjoying the game. I just hope the story picks up. I'm only about 2-3 hours in so I bet it does.
    Took me forever to actually enjoy FFXIII's story.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Igonge View Post
    its the swirling icon type thing

Plat Card by Wadefan1 Avatar by Chambers35

Platinum Procrastinator

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    Early impression negatives
    - The soundtrack is downright confusing at times, with pop music at one turn, a remix of an old song at the next, and the ridiculously bad metal songs that go with the bosses, ironically making me want to kill the bosses even faster to get those high star ratings.
    - The random battles often pop in strange places that are somewhat annoying, and the camera angle often is the first opponent you need to fight with in order to determine where the enemy is.

Overall, enjoying the experience quite a bit, and am hoping to lose another large chunks of hours into it today.
    I agree with this. A lot of the music is annoying and doesn't seem to fit the norm when thinking about FF games.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

PRO Member

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

I'm going to get my copy in a few hours and then I guess I can forsee what it's like for myself. I'll remember what you said though.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Its basically what I expected. Good thing about that though is that because I already knew I couldn't be disappointed. Not to say its a bad game, though. I agree with Gauss on his points, except for one thing. The beginning, is actually a writing/story technique. You don't know how or why is going on in the beginning, but its meant to draw your attention with its flair, and then its explained later in the story. (And it is) I think that was done well.

For me I'll say:
    Pros:
    • Monster-capture system, reminiscent of pokemon. It encourages you to capture and utilize different monsters and its very fun. The infusion design makes it so that you don't feel you've completely wasted your materials if you upgrade a monster then find a better one you want to work on later on. While I opposed this as first (I still kind of wish there was a third party member), it provided variety and many many more options as far as strategy, tactics and planning go.
    • Hope is a much much more likeable character this time around. Guess that comes with age/maturity. (I won't say the same about Alyssa, though haha.)
    • Noel is a good character, and has a good voice actor, praise Etro.
    • Serah..while not terrible, is not as interesting/fun to watch. But she's better than Vanille, at least, and does get a bit better later.
    • Temporal Rift Puzzles are not overly engaging yet at the same time lets you actually do some thinking in a game with a battle system where you normally don't have to
    • Locales in different usually offer different effects such as seasonal changes, changes in types of monsters you encounter and offer different things in terms of side quests and such. That way although you're essentially traversing the same map, it doesn't always feel that way.
    • Chocobo's unlocked after main-story completion of a locale's time period
    • That pitiful attempt at humor vendor is literally everywhere
    • The settings are beautiful as usual

Cons:
    • Running into multiple battles sometimes can be irritating sometimes.
    • Gameplay is easy on normal, guess thats fixed with hard but the option isn't unlocked from the start.
    • The Music...some of it is good..and then some of it is just plain wrong.
    • High star ratings result from speed only(carried on from 13) instead of rewarding players who use strategy/tactics, they reward only brute force. Which doesn't encourage anyone to play the game any differently then spamming a few paradigms for most battles: Relentless Assault/Tri-Disaster/Cerberus. Which explains the "gameplay is easy"
    • The random loading in cutscenes mentioned above. Disrupts the whole scene (not that the scenes are amazing to begin with.)
    • Reduced amount of CGI is somewhat disappointing, but was expected and probably done so that the 360 wouldn't need another 3 discs.
    • Not enough Lightning and Caius.
    • Predictable story..its probably the game weakest point.
    • "We can save the future!" I can't even count how many times this has been said, and other things by Serah that she seems to repeat because she can't believe whats happening all through out the journey.

I think like some of the reviews said, they sacrificed story in order to correct the fan's problems from the original game.

The absence of a 10-20 hour tutorial in 13-2, however, makes it the better game, in my opinion at least. But its flaws/negatives keep it from being truly great. I would still recommend this game to any fan of rpgs. (but only if they've played 13, because otherwise you wouldn't know what the fuck is going on)

Click-Click-Kaboom

More I play more I love the game. It's just a shame I have to work in 11hours.

PSN- Il_WidowmakeR_Il

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    I opened it up and was really excited at first, but then the opening scene came... What followed is a bit of a roller coaster as I am slowly going through phases of wanting to play the game and not really caring at all whats going on.

Its just bad story telling, and honestly thats what my entire 4 hours can be summed up as: A pretty game I've enjoyed playing from a gameplay standpoint, but a story I have yet to become really interested in...
    That's a neat summary of my feeling towards FF XIII. I played it for a few hours, couldn't get into it and shelved it for a year before giving it another crack.

What I ended up with is a pretty game with gorgeous cutscenes, a fun battle system with uber-weapons - which is why I play FF games - and a story I wasn't interested in about people I didn't care about. If I set my expectations at the same level for XIII-2, I'll be a happy camper. I don't care for the FF melodrama, I just want to take out the next bad guy and the one after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    This isn't necessarily directed at any one person btw, I'm not trying to call anybody out.
    I WILL call someone out and that someone is YOU Chael Sonnen! When people talk about the greatest fighter in the world Chael Sonnen, they don't mean Chael Sonnen. They mean Anderson Silva, Chael Sonnen. I look forward to seeing Silva handing Chael Sonnen's ass to Chael Sonnen, again, Chael Sonnen.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    I WILL call someone out and that someone is YOU Chael Sonnen! When people talk about the greatest fighter in the world Chael Sonnen, they don't mean Chael Sonnen. They mean Anderson Silva, Chael Sonnen. I look forward to seeing Silva handing Chael Sonnen's ass to Chael Sonnen, again, Chael Sonnen.
    Silva is going to punch Sonnen right in the scrotum.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I'm really enjoying the game. The soundtrack is crazy at times, but I sort of like it that way I like the speed of battles this time around, the quick paradigm shifts make all the difference and the feral link abilities are fun to pull off when there's a longer sequence of button mashes to pull off. For the amount of time they spent pushing the cinematic events in the trailers, I expected them to be all over the game and I've only come across maybe three or four separate events in the 15 hours I've played. Not sure if that's good or bad, I could take them or leave them and I haven't failed one yet so I don't know if that impacts anything. So far, it's hard to put down but I thought I'd give my PS3 a break for a while

DON'T BLINK

I just started it today and already dig it. I liked 13 though as well. (114 hours or so on my save file and no plat lol) I'm hoping to get as much into this one as well.

PRO Member

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

I'm enjoying this once as well, but I really hate the fact that enemies pop randomly. I hate that in RPGs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast